another good debating topic!

...Uninvited guests didn't attend their church and reception to greed their foods and drink, don't they?
If they are "uninvited" they are not "guests." The word "guest" means someone who is invited to an event. If uninvited people show up they are called "gate crashers", "party crashers", or "trespassers". They are not called "guests."

"Uninvited" and "guest" are opposite terms. There is no such thing as an "uninvited" guest.

I guess people who congratulate the couple in public after the wedding are called public well-wishers, or community well-wishers. But "uninvited guest" doesn't make sense.

...I'm sorry, but If you don't even pay your guest's way to the wedding, even the food, the drinks, the cake, I think you should be responsible for the gift for the guest that you brought to the wedding, It would be more polite that way. But, that's you I guess. ;)
Why are "guests" expected to "pay" their way at a wedding? A guest who pays his/her way at a wedding is not a "guest". That is called a "customer" or "patron." Weddings aren't charging admission now are they?

Why are "guests" expected to "pay" their way at a wedding? A guest who pays his/her way at a wedding is not a "guest". That is called a "customer" or "patron." Weddings aren't charging admission now are they?

I didn't mean it that way, Read my respond to Southern, I was only giving an example, if the invited person bring a guest and doesn't want to included the guest in the gift, nor the guest doesn't want to bring a gift, then why is the guest coming to the wedding? pay their way in? Food, drinks everything is free for all guests, it's more polite to bring a gift to show your thanks for inviting "me". than just go to a wedding and take advantage of the bride and groom.

this is just not for angel... but for everyone too! :)

i am SO CURIOUS in everyone's opinions! NO BASHINGS, INSULTINGS OR DEGRADING! there is no right and wrong in this... it is just a matter of opinions AND ETIQUETTE!!! K??? :thumb:

if you were invited to a wedding and were allowed to bring a guest, would you EXPECT YOUR GUEST TO CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS MONEY/OR GIFT for the bride and groom??? or it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE CARE OF THE MONEY/GIFT??? and your guest is just there to tag along and keep you company? :D

No, their presence is enough. The whole idea of inviting guests to a wedding is so they can see you (the couple) get married, and to have a good time as well (wedding, reception, etc) and to make precious memories. Weddings are not all about gifts/money.

...Now there is another southern tradition that is gaining popularity in other parts of the country thanks to TV. The groom’s cake. It is usually chocolate and not very fancy, unlike the wedding cake which is.
Mmmmm...yeah, that's a yummy new "tradition." :P

I didn't mean it that way, Read my respond to Southern, I was only giving an example, if the invited person bring a guest and doesn't want to included the guest in the gift, nor the guest doesn't want to bring a gift, then why is the guest coming to the wedding? pay their way in? Food, drinks everything is free for all guests, it's more polite to bring a gift to show your thanks for inviting "me". than just go to a wedding and take advantage of the bride and groom.

Agreed

I consider it as rude if a guest didn´t bring something to thank bride and groom for invite them.

I don´t agree to rely invited guest for gift for us to bride and groom. I want to do something myself to thank them or share expense with invited guest because I thank invited guest to invite me to keep their company.

Didn't you read your own link?

Everything in that post matched what I've been saying.

It didn´t says in my link that guests attend their wedding with empty hands. It also didn´t say in my other link at other thread, too.

It didn´t says in my link that guests attend their wedding with empty hands. It also didn´t say in my other link at other thread, too.
I never said that wedding guests shouldn't give presents.

The link (and I) did say that the guests shouldn't bring the presents to the wedding or reception, for practical reasons.

No, their presence is enough. The whole idea of inviting guests to a wedding is so they can see you (the couple) get married, and to have a good time as well (wedding, reception, etc) and to make precious memories. Weddings are not all about gifts/money.

that is right! this is how i feel too! :) thanks for your input! :)

:bowlol:
Well the situation is different then what you are answering here. The invitation says you are invited, and you may bring a guest. Whomever you choose is now invited to the wedding. That is quite different then you receiving an invitation for just you and you decide to bring a friend. That person is not invited and shouldn't come. We call those people party crashers. If your invitation does not say you and a guest you should never bring another person, that is very rude. But if it does say bring some one with you, why make them wait outside? Why bring them if you make them wait outside. That seems rude. If you bring them and the invitation said that you can bring another person it means that the bride and groom have planned for that person to be there as far as food and drink and space at the tables are concerned. I would be very angry with a person if they said i want you to come to a wedding with me. Then once we got there they said, oh you have to wait outside while i eat and drink and have a good time. I live in FL it is possible to rain everyday and with horrible down pours. If you are outside you get soaked. Or it can start off warm in the morning and be very cold in the afternoon. What if i didn't dress for the weather, now i am out in the cold.......
Did i misunderstand your meaning? I don't understand why you would bring some one with you then make them wait outside for the reception which can take hours.

:bowlol: I am laughing so hard picturing u waiting outside of a wedding reception getting soaked. OH, if that happened or if people do this, that is so WRONG but funny at the same time. Imagine my shock arriving at the wedding only to find out I wasnt really invited and have to wait outside for hours? OH, I would have crashed the wedding anyway. I am sorry but u paint a funny picture!

If they are "uninvited" they are not "guests." The word "guest" means someone who is invited to an event. If uninvited people show up they are called "gate crashers", "party crashers", or "trespassers". They are not called "guests."

"Uninvited" and "guest" are opposite terms. There is no such thing as an "uninvited" guest.

I guess people who congratulate the couple in public after the wedding are called public well-wishers, or community well-wishers. But "uninvited guest" doesn't make sense.

Hahahaha!!!! That is sooo true. This is becoming too funny cuz I am picturing the invitation saying "You and an uninvited guest are invited to our wedding."

Or an invitation saying to the uninvited guest "If u decide to crash our wedding, you need to pay $100 for food and drinks or bring a gift not to take advantage of the bride and groom."

I am not saying all thise to offend anyone but I am just laughing by conjuring these images in my head. Nothing against anyone here...Southern started my crazy thoughts with his POV about standing in the rain!!! LOL!

I agree with Lucia and Reba...invited guests arent expected to bring gifts for money but I guess in Germany it is different.

Hahahaha!!!! That is sooo true. This is becoming too funny cuz I am picturing the invitation saying "You and an uninvited guest are invited to our wedding."

Or an invitation saying to the uninvited guest "If u decide to crash our wedding, you need to pay $100 for food and drinks or bring a gift not to take advantage of the bride and groom."

I am not saying all thise to offend anyone but I am just laughing by conjuring these images in my head. Nothing against anyone here...Southern started my crazy thoughts with his POV about standing in the rain!!! LOL!

I agree with Lucia and Reba...invited guests arent expected to bring gifts for money but I guess in Germany it is different.>>> EXACTLY! i agree with you guys here! :thumb:

that's a good one!!! :laugh2:

Yes your word "public well-wishers" is better one... Yes, public well-wishers are very common here in Europe.

:ty: for correct my word... I don't know how to find a word for "uninvited" guest... You find right word "public well-wishers"... :ty: for get me attention and will remember those word...

Last edited:
I never said that wedding guests shouldn't give presents.

I'm afraid yes, it tells alot in other thread. Your favorite word: "Weddings aren't charging admission now are they?" "guests" expected to "pay" their way at a wedding or Sell tickets etc... :roll: Everyone knows what wedding tradition is. This is so. If you don't like then don't go.

The link (and I) did say that the guests shouldn't bring the presents to the wedding or reception, for practical reasons.

I didn't see that you said this. Maybe I overlook it? All what I saw is you said that wedding gift is volunarilty.

Yes, the most guests bring the gifts, gifts card or cards enclosed money few days before wedding.

Back