Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Just have to pop in on you Faded Rose: oh my gosh -- you have such a classically beautiful face! :roll: Crazy kids don't know how beautiful they are ....

I agree! I think you look lovely!

I appreciate the compliments-although that was why I posted the picture. It was the best one I could find on my computer that actually showed the deviation of the septum since I tend to pose side ways to hide it in most of my pictures. Southpaw I plan to get a revision rhinoplasty in the future. They will have to take bone from my hip or behind my ear to build up the part of my nose that I think too much was taken out of. Very true, it doesn't matter what anyone says if I'm not happy I'm not happy but hopefully that'll change when I'm able to undo the damage the plastic surgeon did.

Onto another topic! I didn't have an ignorant hearie moment today but did have a hilarious lip reading mishap that I posted a new thread on. If anyone wants to contribute there I'd love to hear your moments too. If this person in particular had been a raving asshole I'd be posting about it here.

today has been a decent day-as far as dealing with the hearing thankfully. Whew!

When I need to talk to a reference desk in order to find something in a library, I will usually have to speak to people who are within the designated 'quiet-areas'. I try to lower my voice a little, but it's never good enough. This problem leads people to believe that they have the right to touch me in order to get my attention so I won't talk.

Here's one I wrote on my FB page today-
cried for two freaking hours over this "hearie" that really I should have just remained strong over. This is why I don't go through the drive through:

my eyes are bloodshot from crying after a horrible experience ordering my food at wendys off of ****** road. The girl could not understand my Deaf accent-Can't help the way I speak. She complained loudly to her manager not realizing I could actually hear her " I cannot understand anything she saying" and then looked at me and laughed and gave me a few smiles that were...so heart breaking. I died right then and there. I put my head down got my food-drove the manual so hard I got up to 80 mph in less than 6 seconds hoping I'd wreck to end the pain I was feeling. I'm still crying but I'll be ok. It just hurts so bad to be treated as a normal human being until my voice is heard. once I speak it doesn't matter if it's a new person at work, a store clerk it's always the same. They get a puzzled look on their face, then they smile, of course it's a smirk and then the child speak starts as if I were stupid. I plan to learn ASL, sign language. If I used my hands instead of my voice I bet I wouldn't get the reactions I do.

everyone in my family is hearing I'm the only Deaf one. No one really gets it except ya'll on alldeaf. I plan to to go voice off for a while including at work until I get my confidance back.

FR: You are not the only one that has to put up with the drive-thru bullshit. My childhood best friend has a deaf accent that makes people stop in their tracks. After many encounters like yours, he now has the balls to go thru multiple drive-thrus and bark orders, then drive up to the clerk's window immediately afterwards where he is greeted with cashiers that are obviously irritated and repeat his orders.

We have some McD's in town that have an order display where you can see what you've ordered, but almost all of them are out of order.

Me.....I've given up since most of the speakers sound like shit, and walk in every time.

I order via take-out...a few times (not often)...when the worker at the window has said..."I didn't get your order'"...and I replied, I'm deaf...and repeated my order....she said..."you need to come inside".....and I said, very loud..."No, I don't!"...

Suppose they told all "hearies" they had to come inside?....And let the deafies use the take out window?....Don't believe they would like that...and I'll be dammed if I'm gonna be treated any different.

Obviously if I am alone , I am walking and just go in, but in the car, we are lucky here to have some drive in lanes with a sign that tells deaf/hoh to proceed to the first window to order.

We choose those by preference. It can help I think if people only frequent places that accomodate them.

Sometimes I drive thru and hand a list of orders on paper to a cashier. No problem for me but for other cars behind me, TOO BAD!

Obviously if I am alone , I am walking and just go in, but in the car, we are lucky here to have some drive in lanes with a sign that tells deaf/hoh to proceed to the first window to order.

We choose those by preference. It can help I think if people only frequent places that accomodate them.

We have those too that say to drive up to window to order. I haven't had to that yet but some of those speakers do make it hard to understand (even for hearties) the order taker.

If you don't speak well, you still have a right to drive thru and order food by writing. They can't stop you. People in other cars behind you must learn to respect your rights. Drive-Thru is not for hearies only, fucking no.

I have never seen anything like that (or maybe I just didn't notice).

I have trouble hearing at the drive through myself- the speakers are always poor quality.

I'm sorry, Faded Rose, that you had such a hard time that day, and that this person who didn't know her job made you feel bad about it.

I know you weren't looking for compliments about your picture, but I also thought you are a lovely girl. Not telling you what to do about surgery, just that you are very pretty.

I know you guys have problem with hearing people because they do ask ignorant question. but I am hearing & I love deaf people.
would you guys prefer to have an interpreter? I would like to be one one day:)
but before I become one I would like to know if they are even needed..

the i pray for ya bit make me cringe.i always ask why..or i thank god i deaf so dont have listen to inane crap.or i say being blind(i not) aswell is irrating signing and driving same time can be a bummer but in land of the free anything possible,'want a lift,laugh and say it ok just wanted see look on your face.
i got use to it,accept people either mean well, surprised,or pig ignorant.saying the cute thing i would answered she got fat arse how cute,that awful condersending thing of her to say

Going to someone's home and other HOH people there, but hosts insist on playing music in the background or having TV on, and expect us to be able to hear and follow conversation. :roll: And I always end up with a headache because I put my aid volume up, which of course doesn't help at all, but amplifies the background sounds as well. UGH! :(

When I was 12yr old I saw a show called "Signing With Cindy". I was fascinated by such a beautiful language. Although I didn't know anyone who was deaf, I wanted to learn sign language, because I knew that some day I would meet a deaf person and I wanted to be able to communicate with them. I have met several deaf people over the years and they are quite impressed at how well I sign when I never went to school for it. I love my deaf friends. I feel so blessed to have such good friends in my life!:) I shudder to think about the great friendship I would have missed out on had I not taken the time to learn sign language. I go around to police stations & ask if they would like to learn even the basic alphabet in order to better communicate with any deaf people they may come into contact with. I try to tell hearing people to never over enounciate their words when speaking to a deaf person because it is so rude. I noticed that when I took 10yr old deaf girl to the library with me, some of the kids came up to the librarian and us and just stared. I know they are curious about the new girl, but geeszo weezo! My deaf friends drive and very well I might add. I've. Been a passenger in their car & followed them in my car when we were meeting somewhere. An ambulance came along and my deaf friend pulled off to the side before any other vehicle. I tell my hearing family & friends & strangers I meet that deaf people are just like everyone else, they just don't hear. So don't treat them like a freak and don't act like you pitty them. They don't need your prayers for hearing. They need your prayers that God will continue to bless them with such extraordinary patience to put up with ignorant hearing people! I am probably too old to go to college now to get a degree for being an interpreter because at my age I'll never be able to earn enough to pay back student loans before I reach retirement age! But if I could go, I would. In a second! I also think that sign language should be taught in schools, at least the basics, in order to graduate. My reasoning is that anyone who works with the public will probably encounter deaf people and they should know how to communicate with them. Medical professionals, waiters/servers, bank tellers, store clerks, police officers, postal workers, self employed, what ever, they would need to know sign language more often than algebra! They talk about black history, African-American culture, why not teach about deaf culture too! I think it's important. Just saying'!

you are absolutely right! People need to be respectful & treat people the way they themselves want to be treated.

I have never seen anything like that (or maybe I just didn't notice).

They have drive-ins here where I live that say something like that. There's usually a white and red sign on the order-speaker-box-thingie that says "Hearing impaired, please pull up to the first window" or something similar to that, with a logo of an ear with an X over it. (I cringe at "hearing impaired", but at least they make an effort to accomodate...)

Sent an email to the graduation coordinator at my daughter's school asking about having an assistive listening device at the graduation. She replied back she didn't know what I was talking about and even offered to request an interpreter. Uh, if I wanted an interpreter, wouldn't I have asked for one in the first place?
4 years ago I went through the same thing with a different high school, but same venue. This time I explained that I might need to bring my own devices (because I had to 4 years ago), but can't remember what cord I need for them to plug it into the sound system. And I want the venue people to know that someone is going to be requesting that her FM transmitter be plug into the sound system.

They have drive-ins here where I live that say something like that. There's usually a white and red sign on the order-speaker-box-thingie that says "Hearing impaired, please pull up to the first window" or something similar to that, with a logo of an ear with an X over it. (I cringe at "hearing impaired", but at least they make an effort to accomodate...)

The ones 'round these parts say something like "People with hearing and speech disabilities: Please drive up and place your order at the first window" in blue writing on a white sticker (or vice-versa).

What's weird is my mom appears to understand what people are saying at those speakers incredibly well (she doesn't use the first window thing ever, and I think she uses drive-thrus way more than my hearing dad). My mom has a severe hearing loss, and I think she understands those speakers better than I do! (Or maybe she's just memorized everything they ask her.:P)

Back