Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Okay, I had a doctor's appt. yesterday. I have a print out of the visit, with details of the visit, instructions from the doctor, my blood pressure & pulse results, etc. On the bottom is a list of my upcoming appts. On it was something I had not even been notified about, a telephone conference call scheduled by one of my other doctors, with a date and a time, for 10 minutes. I laughed head off. He expects a phone call through relay to talk to me is going to only take 10 minutes? :laugh2: :rofl: WRONG!

I live in the UK so I have to go to a hospital for hearing aids. The parking for every other door is just normal open parking lot, drive in, park, walk away. The parking for two departments is served by a push-button intercom thing where you drive up to a barrier and talk into a post. One is the maternity department (deaf people don't have babies, I see), the other is the hearing aid clinic. Are you freakin' kidding me????!

I've had that happen to me before! I decided to play along and pretend to "read" the Braille menu. I was with a couple of (hearing) friends, and this just cracked them up. :giggle:

For various reasons I actually can read Braille, so I have had times that I've given up on the education and just decided to read the Braille version. Sometimes this works out well as they sometimes fail to have the small print transcribed, and I can get away with asking for discounts and special offers because the Braille version doesn't mention that the offer is only Monday to Saturday lunchtime. :naughty:

:roll: Being told to just "try" to listen to some audio files on the Net. Said immediately *after* I explained wearing two hearing aids, being HOH, and needing captioning for video or transcripts for audio. I asked if they would say the same thing if I was in a wheel chair and there was no elevator, that I should just "try" to use the stairs?! Some people are just too dense. :mad:

Oh yes. Your FM is broken/we didn't get captions this time/it's a really quiet video, can you do without "Just this once"? Yeah, that's fine, I can hear just fine provided I don't have to do it very often. :-o

Oh yeah, and yes wheelchair users DO get told to "just try" to use the stairs. I turned up at a place that had somehow managed to have a step up to the elevator. They asked me how do I normally get up steps, and I said "With a ramp". They lied and said there was no ramp, turns out there was one because I sent them a massive complaint and it was found for the return trip. They asked me if I could do it "just this once". Sure, they let us have days off from being disabled if people ask nicely. :mad: :mad: Since you can't find your ramp I guess I will magically stand up and walk.

I live in the UK so I have to go to a hospital for hearing aids. The parking for every other door is just normal open parking lot, drive in, park, walk away. The parking for two departments is served by a push-button intercom thing where you drive up to a barrier and talk into a post. One is the maternity department (deaf people don't have babies, I see), the other is the hearing aid clinic. Are you freakin' kidding me????!

YIKES! That's so total oblivious & asinine. And a *hospital* no less! You'd think they'd be more aware. :roll:

Oh yeah, and yes wheelchair users DO get told to "just try" to use the stairs. I turned up at a place that had somehow managed to have a step up to the elevator. They asked me how do I normally get up steps, and I said "With a ramp". They lied and said there was no ramp, turns out there was one because I sent them a massive complaint and it was found for the return trip. They asked me if I could do it "just this once". Sure, they let us have days off from being disabled if people ask nicely. :mad: :mad: Since you can't find your ramp I guess I will magically stand up and walk.

:wtf: :noway: Sometimes words fail me and the finger works best, you know?!

The hearing not understanding Deaf, is like Deaf not understanding someone who is writing in spanish, german or chinese. People in those languages can also be easily offended that you don't know what they are saying or trying to tell you. They are offended you don;t know their language. I think everyone just offends everyone else in the world by words or actions .......... Not associating with anyone stops anyone else offending you. Alone is good ............

Pidgin

God Bless the little children while they are still too young to hate .... Tom T. Hall

This thread has been thoroughly entertaining, quite a few laughs.. Pet peeve has to be when educated hearies (dr, nurse etc) say wow you speak so well or you don't really have deaf speech. I have got that from audiologist, ENT doc etc. What ticks me off is that they already have my medical Hx and know I had a progressive loss and became totally deaf as an adult, long after learning to speak...

Thus, this is the reason I don't use my voice around strangers, shopping etc. Hearing folks automatically assume if you can speak well then you can hear well and or lip read well. The latter I suck at without using my CI, which I almost never use. (heck if I ever get real hard up for money I'd probably pawn it on ebay)

This thread has been thoroughly entertaining, quite a few laughs.. Pet peeve has to be when educated hearies (dr, nurse etc) say wow you speak so well or you don't really have deaf speech. I have got that from audiologist, ENT doc etc. What ticks me off is that they already have my medical Hx and know I had a progressive loss and became totally deaf as an adult, long after learning to speak...
Thus, this is the reason I don't use my voice around strangers, shopping etc. Hearing folks automatically assume if you can speak well then you can hear well and or lip read well. The latter I suck at without using my CI, which I almost never use. (heck if I ever get real hard up for money I'd probably pawn it on ebay)

Ha! I get that as well as " you're very intelligent ". :hmm: How offensive.
It's offensive because the doctor is basing my intelligence on how well I speak as if that has anything to do with it. Sure I have a Deaf accent but years of speech therapy has programmed me to speak quite proper. I've been called a snob because of it ( from the south btw...). When you're 9 years old and told the same it's a compliment but when you're 30...
it's just plain offensive. Gee, thanks for noticing I actually have a brain but my gosh if I didn't speak dare I ask if you'd think otherwise?

It's wrong.

:roll:

I found it out people hearing :/ serious annoy no reason I look likes my opinion

people hearing ignored to me ignored to annoy look likes ego < look likes on arroganment pretty on resist to deaf person, not communication reason! that is point, not fair, reason, hearing person people, fair to communication to understand, should be deaf cultures and reason, hearing don't understand deaf cultures,

Doctors are soooo predictable. I went to see a new ENT doc yesterday for breathing issues due to what is a deviated septiem or something like that. so the doc starts by asking me to explain the issue... after telling him via the Interpreter of course of my issues with blocked up nose etc. the first thing he does is look in my ears and ask me "why are you deaf" so I answered "because I hate having to listen to my kids scream and cry and yell etc. " He replies "no I mean what caused your deafness" my answer "I don't know" so he proceeds down this line of questioning for a few minutes then says.. " so tell me what the problem is again." WTF? (insert facepalm smiley here) Well at least he will be scheduling me for surgery to fix my nose.

Doctors are soooo predictable. I went to see a new ENT doc yesterday for breathing issues due to what is a deviated septiem or something like that. so the doc starts by asking me to explain the issue... after telling him via the Interpreter of course of my issues with blocked up nose etc. the first thing he does is look in my ears and ask me "why are you deaf" so I answered "because I hate having to listen to my kids scream and cry and yell etc. " He replies "no I mean what caused your deafness" my answer "I don't know" so he proceeds down this line of questioning for a few minutes then says.. " so tell me what the problem is again." WTF? (insert facepalm smiley here) Well at least he will be scheduling me for surgery to fix my nose.

That must be incredibly irritating. What does your hearing have to do with your breathing?? :roll:

That must be incredibly irritating. What does your hearing have to do with your breathing?? :roll:

:lol: Yes so weird they actually have a medical specialty called Ear, Nose, Throat!

Who would have dreamed these could be interconnected??

:lol: Yes so weird they actually have a medical specialty called Ear, Nose, Throat!

Who would have dreamed these could be interconnected??

You are missing the point, had I gone in there as a hearing person I doubt if he would have checked my ears and if he did it would have been the last thing he focused on . He also would have not have completely ignored my chief complaint the first time I explained it to him...

You are missing the point, had I gone in there as a hearing person I doubt if he would have checked my ears and if he did it would have been the last thing he focused on . He also would have not have completely ignored my chief complaint the first time I explained it to him...

Of course! He couldn't have been trying to find out about Sturge-Weber syndrome, or any of the other interconnected reasons for deaf people to also have problems with the nose or sinus!

:wave:

Of course! He couldn't have been trying to find out about Sturge-Weber syndrome, or any of the other interconnected reasons for deaf people to also have problems with the nose or sinus!

I should mention that I had already seen another ENT specalist as required by VR to make sure I am still Deaf and that she had told me I had a deviated septim and needed surgery so I sould see a local doc for that. I was the first thing I told him before he looked in my ears

I should mention that I had already seen another ENT specalist as required by VR to make sure I am still Deaf and that she had told me I had a deviated septim and needed surgery so I sould see a local doc for that. I was the first thing I told him before he looked in my ears

I have a deviated septum from the result of complications from a rhinoplasty I had when I was 16 due to a broken nose after getting into a fist fight with a girl who was mocking my speech and making fun of me to my face. I couldn't contain my rage and well...

got a nose job out of it-I HAD lady gaga's nose an exact copy but wanted it smaller. Damn, wish I never had that done and only let the doctor reset the bone. I'm now 30 and cannot breathe out of the left side of my nose. Have had 2 surgeries to correct it but am considering whats called a revision rhinoplasty to restore my nose to it's org. size and shape.

:) please be very careful when considering any form of surgery on the nose. I'd like to post pictures to show you the scar tissue on my right side, it's not very noticeable but to me it stands out.

I have never heard of that syndrome but will google it!:wave:

My nose-as you can see it doesn't quite look right on me ( I think ) you can see that it's deviated if you look close. At the bridge you will see where he took out what used to be there-it wasn't a hump persay but for reference it was the same shape and size as lady gaga's you can see that by looking at the bottom of my nose which appears to be the org. nose-he made it narrow at the top but appears to have left the rest alone.
I hate it.
P1010076.jpg

Just have to pop in on you Faded Rose: oh my gosh -- you have such a classically beautiful face! :roll: Crazy kids don't know how beautiful they are ....

Faded Rose, mine does like yours but to the left. It does not matter what others tell you about your looks as it won't matter until you are happy with them yourself. So save your pennies for a nose job that will make you feel better about yourself.

Back