Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Bullym0m said:
Obvouisly Insurance knew "cannot afford expense on rest of all peoples' home and auto coverage" which it's cost lot of million dollars for damage lot of homes and auto lost. I bet Insurance decide change covert "Oh well you have not applied for "flood insurance coverage". What the crap... I bet insurance are frigg'n selfish and want their own themselves cost prevent expense. They are paid for insurance house/auto why can't insurance pay them coverage expense needs.. ??? Geez... Ridcouisly!

That's right. The insurances better cover everything like damaged computers, ruined clients' businesses, ruined buildings, etc. They may not cover for flood insurance. Most of insurances learned lessons from 9-11 Era since they could not afford to replace tall buildings plus companies's offices from the tall buildings anymore....

hp9-1-05b.jpg

babyboy
Daddy, me hungry...

Daddy
I know. I am broke. I am going to look for food. I better break into closed fast food restaurants..

Really sad about the New Orleans tragedy.... :| Hopefully everyone is able to help one another at this time of need... just shooting the looters won't help... people need more than that, IMO...

Poor New Orleans!

Water poured into New Orleans from Lake Pontchartrain after a two-block-long breach opened last night in a section of a levee that protects the low-lying city. About 80 percent of the city is flooded and some areas are under 20 feet of water.

Electricity will not be restored for 2 months or more! Heat (95 degrees) plus extremely high humidity will sicken or kill many people due to lack of air conditioning. Diseases will spread out.

No water. Water supply has been contaminated.

Over 1 million people are homeless - most of them who evacuated north to Mississippi, west to Texas, etc. are told that they cannot return home due to flooding, etc. No jobs, etc. They will go broke! One TV station said 844,000 homes/buildings are under water!

It will be more than a year or 2 before New Orleans is restored!

Quotes on the Devastation

''For the next two or three months, in this area, there will not be any commerce, at all. No electricity, no restaurants. This is the real deal.''

-- New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin

''New Orleans is more devastated than New York was.''

-- President Bush, referring to the physical destruction on Sept. 11

Earlier Wednesday, Nagin called for a total evacuation, saying that New Orleans will not be functional for two or three months and that people would not be allowed back into their homes for at least a month or two.

The first of nearly 25,000 refugees being sheltered at the Superdome were transported in buses to the Astrodome in Houston, 350 miles away. Conditions in the Superdome had become horrendous: There was no air conditioning, the toilets were backed up, and the stench was so bad that medical workers wore masks as they walked around.

Americans Contribute Millions for Relief
The help came from individuals, Fortune 500 companies, sports stars and entertainers.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce said initial corporate donations to the relief effort could total more than $100 million, including $5 million from Chevron Corp., $3 million each from JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Citigroup, $2 million from Pfizer Inc. and $1 million from insurer State Farm.

The Walt Disney Co. contributed $2.5 million, $1 million of which will go to the American Red Cross and the rest for rebuilding efforts and volunteer centers helping affected communities.

Nissan North America sent 50 trucks. Anheuser-Busch offered more than 825,000 cans of water. Sprint Nextel Corp. donated 3,000 walkie talkie-type phones for emergency personnel.

Seven truckloads of crackers and cookies were on the way thanks to Kellogg Co. Two dozen cars and trucks were offered by General Motors Corp. Home Depot and Lowe's pledged cash and manpower, while Culligan International sent five truckloads of water.

More than 100 tractor trailers from as far away as California and Wisconsin were on their way to aid Katrina's victims in southwest Alabama with food, water, ice and blankets.

"It's a good feeling to help. They don't have food, no water, blankets or anything," said driver Tim Cupp, who is ready to deliver a truck full of Meals-Ready-to-Eat. "It's hard to put yourself in their shoes."

Governors across the nation pledged to send troops, doctors and engineers. They also opened their schools for any displaced students who couldn't afford to lose a semester on their way to a college degree.

Massive Effort

Navy ships are carrying food and emergency supplies. Coast Guard helicopters are pulling stranded residents from rooftops. And refugees camped out in the Superdome will be moved to Houston's Astrodome on 475 buses provided by FEMA. Meanwhile, people from neighboring states and across the country are headed to the hurricane disaster zone.

:angel: Pray for those luckless people, May God be with them. I've watched News about Hurricane victims what got me into tears.

Politicians adopted different postures: "I have instructed the Highway Patrol and the National Guard to treat looters ruthlessly," Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour told CNN. "Looting will not be tolerated, period. And the rules of engagement will be as aggressive as the law allows."

Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) said on MSNBC, "Thousands of people are stuck and stranded without food and water. Now, I'm not excusing looting. I'm not the attorney general. I'm not a law enforcement official. But the situation is, is that people have been without food and water."

Quote from:
washingtonpost.com
Carried Away
Looting Has Its Roots in the Chaos Of Catastrophe

By Linton Weeks
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 1, 2005; C01

Oh well.....

be glad.. wal-mart is donating millions of dollars to those families.. if you go to walmart store you'll notice a bucket, tank, or whatever that holds money.. u donate them and they'll give to katrina relieve fund.

There are two kinds of looters....one kind of looter is that they are stealing are for food, water, diapers, toilet items which are more important which is ok in my opinion!! The other kind of looter are a big no nos like TVs, furniture, computers etc. out of stores! those are not survival items of life. The police are more concerned with the bad kind of looters, not the survival kind of looters. I saw on TV that they let some people inside the store pass out the needed items out thru a hole to people like bottled water, food etc and police approved of it cuz they know they need the stuff for survival. I was amazed at that! They sent out National Guard from all over to catch the bad looters.
God bless these poor unfortunate homeless people and i hope they will get some relief fast as possible! I saw the buckets at Wal-Mart for donations to help these people, i put in $10.00 today.

Red Cross is leeching on the disposeable incomes that other 501-C-3's need to be able to carry on their charitable duties.

We have a small fundraiser planned tonight and gauge the impact.

Richard

Last edited:
DeafSCUBA98 said:
be glad.. wal-mart is donating millions of dollars to those families.. if you go to walmart store you'll notice a bucket, tank, or whatever that holds money.. u donate them and they'll give to katrina relieve fund.
yea i did put $5.00 in bucket this morning at walmart..

One man on the news said that looters stole his wife's personal jewelry from their destroyed home. He saw it happen and yelled at them but they just mocked him. That is NOT some poor hungry mom trying to get food and water for the children. That is LOOTING!

Looters are stealing guns from stores, and then shooting at rescure helicopters. They are NOT feeding starving children.

Get real.

When our police chief ordered shoot the looters, that actually prevented looting. No one got shot. It wasn't necessary because the potential looters decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Have you seen the videos of the looters? They are dancing and laughing while they steal. They are grabbing jewelry and electronics, not food.

Looting

I have to agree with Reba here. The looters are taking advantage of the devestation and pillaging the city. She's right! What in the name of Heaven are these looters going to do with electronic equipment????? There's no electricity, folks! I also don't buy the argument that they are selling the stuff for food. If that were true, you wouldn't see the them gloating about it on TV and acting like they taking what is owed them.

I think it's absolutely permissable to shoot the looters.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Liza: You had a good point. I also agree with you. More needs to be done to help these people.

Reba said:
One man on the news said that looters stole his wife's personal jewelry from their destroyed home. He saw it happen and yelled at them but they just mocked him. That is NOT some poor hungry mom trying to get food and water for the children. That is LOOTING!

Looters are stealing guns from stores, and then shooting at rescure helicopters. They are NOT feeding starving children.

Get real.

When our police chief ordered shoot the looters, that actually prevented looting. No one got shot. It wasn't necessary because the potential looters decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Have you seen the videos of the looters? They are dancing and laughing while they steal. They are grabbing jewelry and electronics, not food.

I hear you loud and clear :(

These looters :rl:

Oceanbreeze said:
I have to agree with Reba here. The looters are taking advantage of the devestation and pillaging the city. She's right! What in the name of Heaven are these looters going to do with electronic equipment????? There's no electricity, folks! I also don't buy the argument that they are selling the stuff for food. If that were true, you wouldn't see the them gloating about it on TV and acting like they taking what is owed them.

I think it's absolutely permissable to shoot the looters.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Liza: You had a good point. I also agree with you. More needs to be done to help these people.

:werd: :werd:

Nesmuth said:
This is one sad price we have to pay for stiffing up mother green cross with our administration's anti-environmental policies.

Richard

What a load of crap.

Hurricane activity runs in cycles, like many things on earth. The 50's and 60's were VERY active. The 70's - 94 were EXTREMELY quiet.

If global warming were effecting this, it would make hurricanes weaker, not stronger. Hurricanes need cold air to form and strengthen. Warm seas feed their strength, but so does cold, dry air in the upper atmosphere.

Global warming would actually help prevent this kind of catastrophy.

Besides. Even if this were caused by global warming, blaming the current administration is just plain silly. EPA regulations aren't re-written every time we elect a new president.

Don't just buy into what the media and the leftist groups tell you. There's BIG corporate money being made off of modern environmentalism.

You can thank the EPA for the gas shortages. Most of the EPA rules that are causing the current refinery shortage were passed during the Carter and Clinton administrations.

brianb

cjester27 said:
:( On Channel 10 news in Providence, it had been reported that helicopters were being shot at while they were making rescue attempts. This is so awful, and it is becoming scarier than anyone ever realized.

These poor people have nothing left, everything they own is now gone, they don't have any food, water, clothes. Their poor children are starving, and now these good samaritans who are trying to rescue these poor victims are not being shot at.

These hurricane has torn these people apart instead of bringing them together to support one another. I hope in the process, that these people will start receiving items they need to survive.

My prayers and my heart go to all these people who have suffered so much in this hurricane.
:cry:

Superdome evacuation disrupted after shots fired

(Source)
NEW ORLEANS -- At the front of the line, the weary refugees waded through ankle-deep water, grabbed a bottle of water from state troopers and happily hopped on buses that would deliver them from the horrendous conditions of the Superdome.

A the back end of the line, people jammed against police barricades in the rain. Refugees passed out and had to be lifted hand-over-hand overhead to medics. Pets were not allowed on the bus, and when a police officer confiscated a little boy's dog, the child cried until he vomited. "Snowball, snowball," he cried.

The scene played out Thursday as the plodding procession out of the Superdome entered its second day -- an evacuation that became more complicated as thousands more storm victims showed up at the arena.

Capt. John Pollard of the Texas Air Force National Guard said 20,000 people were in the dome when the evacuation efforts began. By Thursday afternoon, the number had swelled to about 30,000. Pollard said people poured into the Superdome because they believe it's the best place to get a ride out of town.

The refugees began arriving Thursday at the Astrodome in Houston, where they got a shower, a hot meal and a cool place to sleep.

"I would rather have been in jail," Janice Jones said in obvious relief at being out of the dome. "I've been in there seven days and I haven't had a bath. They treated us like animals. Everybody is scared."

Miranda Jones, her daughter, was standing next to her, carrying her father's ashes -- the only thing they were able to save from her house before Hurricane Katrina blasted New Orleans.

An angry Terry Ebbert, head of New Orleans' emergency operations, watched the slow exodus from the Superdome on Thursday morning and said the Federal Emergency Management Agency response was inadequate. The chaos at the nearby New Orleans Convention Center was considerably worse than the Superdome, with an angry mob growing increasingly violent and few options for refugees to leave the scene.

"This is a national disgrace. FEMA has been here three days, yet there is no command and control," Ebbert said. "We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims but we can't bail out the city of New Orleans."

By early afternoon, a line of people a half-mile long snaked from the Superdome through the nearby Hyatt Regency Hotel, then to where buses waited. State troopers, making every effort to be cheerful, handed out bottles of water and tried to keep families and groups together.

"I need three," a burly state trooper called out. "I need four."

At one point, the guards held up the line so a young teen at the front could go get her sister, farther back.

The situation in the back of the line was vastly different.

National Guardsmen stood side by side with rifles. Luggage, bags of clothes, pillows, blankets were strewn in the puddles.

After a teenager was taken away by police for fighting, Capt. John Pallerre of the Texas Air Force National Guard told the crowd on public address: "We can't have people fighting. I have kids here who are crying and frightened and can't find their parents. Be adults. We're going to get you out of here. It takes a while. I'm not god. If I was, you'd all be home with your family."

At one point a man held a tiny baby high over his head. A woman pointed to an elderly man in a wheelchair -- hoping to get the attention of National Guard troops who were taking the old and infirm to buses first.

A woman in tank top and shorts, her teeth chattering, was taken from the sea of people and into the line heading through a shopping mall and conference center and back out to buses waiting blocks from the dome. She cuddled her baby, who wore only a diaper.

The first buses left the Superdome late Wednesday, and officials in Texas said 2,000 people had already arrived at the Astrodome, some 350 miles away, by late morning Thursday. Besides the 25,000 or so hurricane refugees being brought to Houston, officials said another 25,000 would be taken to San Antonio and other locations.

The Astrodome's new residents will be issued passes that will let them leave and return as they please, something that wasn't permitted in New Orleans. Organizers also plan to find ways to help the refugees contact relatives.

The state of Texas also agreed to take in an additional 25,000 Louisiana refugees and plans to house them in San Antonio, Gov. Rick Perry's office said Thursday.

But New Orleans was descending further into chaos Thursday. Corpses lay abandoned in street medians.

Medical helicopters and law officers came under fire. Storm survivors battled for seats on the buses that would carry them away from the chaos. The tired and hungry seethed, saying they had been forsaken.

New Orleans descended into anarchy Thursday, a city seemingly ready to explode at any moment.

"We are out here like pure animals," the Rev. Issac Clark said outside the New Orleans Convention Center, where he and other evacuees had been waiting for buses for days amid the filth and the dead.

Four days after Hurricane Katrina roared in with a devastating blow that inflicted potentially thousands of deaths, the frustration and anger mounted, despite the promise of 1,400 National Guardsmen a day to stop the looting, plans for a $10 billion recovery bill in Congress and a government relief effort President Bush called the biggest in U.S. history.

About 15,000 to 20,000 people who had taken shelter at New Orleans convention center to await buses grew increasingly hostile. Police Chief Eddie Compass said he sent in 88 officers to quell the situation at the building, but they were quickly driven back by an angry mob.

"We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are getting beaten," Compass said. "Tourists are walking in that direction and they are getting preyed upon."

A military helicopter tried to land at the convention center several times to drop off food and water. But the rushing crowd forced the choppers to back off. Troopers then tossed the supplies to the crowd from 10 feet off the ground and flew away.

In hopes of defusing the situation at the convention center, Mayor Ray Nagin gave the refugees permission to march across a bridge to the city's unflooded west bank for whatever relief they could find. But the bedlam made that difficult.

"This is a desperate SOS," Nagin said in a statement. "Right now we are out of resources at the convention center and don't anticipate enough buses."

At least seven bodies were scattered outside the convention center, a makeshift staging area for those rescued from rooftops, attics and highways. The sidewalks were packed with people without food, water or medical care, and with no sign of law enforcement.

An old man in a chaise lounge lay dead in a grassy median as hungry babies wailed around him. Around the corner, an elderly woman lay dead in her wheelchair, covered up by a blanket, and another body lay beside her wrapped in a sheet.

With no air conditioning and little electricity, the heat and stench inside the Superdome were unbearable for the nearly 25,000 housed there. As the water pressure lowered, toilets backed up. The stink was so bad many medical workers wore masks as they walked around.

Dr. Kevin Stephens Sr., in charge of the special needs shelter at the dome, described the Superdome and a nearby arena as a health department's nightmare.

"These conditions are atrocious," he said. "We'll take trucks, planes, boats, anything else -- I have to get these people out of here."

(I cut off the rest due to limit of characters to post... the remains of the article was about NFL teams being flew out in time et cetera... not important.)

gnarlydorkette said:
(Source)
NEW ORLEANS -- At the front of the line, the weary refugees waded through ankle-deep water, grabbed a bottle of water from state troopers and happily hopped on buses that would deliver them from the horrendous conditions of the Superdome.

A the back end of the line, people jammed against police barricades in the rain. Refugees passed out and had to be lifted hand-over-hand overhead to medics. Pets were not allowed on the bus, and when a police officer confiscated a little boy's dog, the child cried until he vomited. "Snowball, snowball," he cried.

The scene played out Thursday as the plodding procession out of the Superdome entered its second day -- an evacuation that became more complicated as thousands more storm victims showed up at the arena.

Capt. John Pollard of the Texas Air Force National Guard said 20,000 people were in the dome when the evacuation efforts began. By Thursday afternoon, the number had swelled to about 30,000. Pollard said people poured into the Superdome because they believe it's the best place to get a ride out of town.

The refugees began arriving Thursday at the Astrodome in Houston, where they got a shower, a hot meal and a cool place to sleep.

"I would rather have been in jail," Janice Jones said in obvious relief at being out of the dome. "I've been in there seven days and I haven't had a bath. They treated us like animals. Everybody is scared."

Miranda Jones, her daughter, was standing next to her, carrying her father's ashes -- the only thing they were able to save from her house before Hurricane Katrina blasted New Orleans.

An angry Terry Ebbert, head of New Orleans' emergency operations, watched the slow exodus from the Superdome on Thursday morning and said the Federal Emergency Management Agency response was inadequate. The chaos at the nearby New Orleans Convention Center was considerably worse than the Superdome, with an angry mob growing increasingly violent and few options for refugees to leave the scene.

"This is a national disgrace. FEMA has been here three days, yet there is no command and control," Ebbert said. "We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims but we can't bail out the city of New Orleans."

By early afternoon, a line of people a half-mile long snaked from the Superdome through the nearby Hyatt Regency Hotel, then to where buses waited. State troopers, making every effort to be cheerful, handed out bottles of water and tried to keep families and groups together.

"I need three," a burly state trooper called out. "I need four."

At one point, the guards held up the line so a young teen at the front could go get her sister, farther back.

The situation in the back of the line was vastly different.

National Guardsmen stood side by side with rifles. Luggage, bags of clothes, pillows, blankets were strewn in the puddles.

After a teenager was taken away by police for fighting, Capt. John Pallerre of the Texas Air Force National Guard told the crowd on public address: "We can't have people fighting. I have kids here who are crying and frightened and can't find their parents. Be adults. We're going to get you out of here. It takes a while. I'm not god. If I was, you'd all be home with your family."

At one point a man held a tiny baby high over his head. A woman pointed to an elderly man in a wheelchair -- hoping to get the attention of National Guard troops who were taking the old and infirm to buses first.

A woman in tank top and shorts, her teeth chattering, was taken from the sea of people and into the line heading through a shopping mall and conference center and back out to buses waiting blocks from the dome. She cuddled her baby, who wore only a diaper.

The first buses left the Superdome late Wednesday, and officials in Texas said 2,000 people had already arrived at the Astrodome, some 350 miles away, by late morning Thursday. Besides the 25,000 or so hurricane refugees being brought to Houston, officials said another 25,000 would be taken to San Antonio and other locations.

The Astrodome's new residents will be issued passes that will let them leave and return as they please, something that wasn't permitted in New Orleans. Organizers also plan to find ways to help the refugees contact relatives.

The state of Texas also agreed to take in an additional 25,000 Louisiana refugees and plans to house them in San Antonio, Gov. Rick Perry's office said Thursday.

But New Orleans was descending further into chaos Thursday. Corpses lay abandoned in street medians.

Medical helicopters and law officers came under fire. Storm survivors battled for seats on the buses that would carry them away from the chaos. The tired and hungry seethed, saying they had been forsaken.

New Orleans descended into anarchy Thursday, a city seemingly ready to explode at any moment.

"We are out here like pure animals," the Rev. Issac Clark said outside the New Orleans Convention Center, where he and other evacuees had been waiting for buses for days amid the filth and the dead.

Four days after Hurricane Katrina roared in with a devastating blow that inflicted potentially thousands of deaths, the frustration and anger mounted, despite the promise of 1,400 National Guardsmen a day to stop the looting, plans for a $10 billion recovery bill in Congress and a government relief effort President Bush called the biggest in U.S. history.

About 15,000 to 20,000 people who had taken shelter at New Orleans convention center to await buses grew increasingly hostile. Police Chief Eddie Compass said he sent in 88 officers to quell the situation at the building, but they were quickly driven back by an angry mob.

"We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are getting beaten," Compass said. "Tourists are walking in that direction and they are getting preyed upon."

A military helicopter tried to land at the convention center several times to drop off food and water. But the rushing crowd forced the choppers to back off. Troopers then tossed the supplies to the crowd from 10 feet off the ground and flew away.

In hopes of defusing the situation at the convention center, Mayor Ray Nagin gave the refugees permission to march across a bridge to the city's unflooded west bank for whatever relief they could find. But the bedlam made that difficult.

"This is a desperate SOS," Nagin said in a statement. "Right now we are out of resources at the convention center and don't anticipate enough buses."

At least seven bodies were scattered outside the convention center, a makeshift staging area for those rescued from rooftops, attics and highways. The sidewalks were packed with people without food, water or medical care, and with no sign of law enforcement.

An old man in a chaise lounge lay dead in a grassy median as hungry babies wailed around him. Around the corner, an elderly woman lay dead in her wheelchair, covered up by a blanket, and another body lay beside her wrapped in a sheet.

With no air conditioning and little electricity, the heat and stench inside the Superdome were unbearable for the nearly 25,000 housed there. As the water pressure lowered, toilets backed up. The stink was so bad many medical workers wore masks as they walked around.

Dr. Kevin Stephens Sr., in charge of the special needs shelter at the dome, described the Superdome and a nearby arena as a health department's nightmare.

"These conditions are atrocious," he said. "We'll take trucks, planes, boats, anything else -- I have to get these people out of here."

(I cut off the rest due to limit of characters to post... the remains of the article was about NFL teams being flew out in time et cetera... not important.)

Oh, how awful!! :(

Yeah, how tragic. Remmy in old history. Our forefathers already looted America Natives in our land of U.S.A.

What can I say......

Back