Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Yes, it would be great for other countries to support them like what we did with tusmaic, 9/11, etc.

One thing it disgust us most is German Environmental Minister Jürgen Tritten´s remark over global warming issues whom he blames for hurricane katrina. :madfawk:

We lost our respect on him for that and won´t have him in our support for election... It´s stupid condition because it´s not American fault that the katrina comes and destory everything. How could they stop it?

Most of Germans, I know are praying for the victims and think of them.

Check this link how much Germans care.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/internatio...,372584,00.html

Hurricane Katrina: Germany Ready to Help US
http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/polit...ina_aug2005.htm

UPDATE 2-Foreign governments line up to help after Katrina
http://today.reuters.com/investing/finance...-52_N01481437:1

Earlier, President George W. Bush said in a television interview that the United States could take care of itself.

"I'm not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn't asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country's going to rise up and take care of it," Bush told ABC's "Good Morning America."

McCormack said there had not been a change of position over accepting foreign aid and White House spokesman Scott McClellan also said the United States would take up offers of help.

Why can´t Bush let other countries to help and support his people?

See this, that countries are willing to help.

The State Department said offers so far had come from Belgium, Canada, Russia, Japan, France, Germany, Britain, China, Australia, Jamaica, Honduras, Greece, Venezuela, the Organization of American States, NATO, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, South Korea, Israel and the United Arab Emirates.

Liebling:-))) said:
"Earlier, President George W. Bush said in a television interview that the United States could take care of itself.

"I'm not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn't asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country's going to rise up and take care of it," Bush told ABC's "Good Morning America." (WTF?? He prefers CASH?? Something is smelling funny!)

McCormack said there had not been a change of position over accepting foreign aid and White House spokesman Scott McClellan also said the United States would take up offers of help. "

Why can´t Bush let other countries to help and support his people?

See this, that countries are willing to help.

Because Bush is a conceited and arrogant boy from Texas where there are full of cowboys who huffs and puffs over nothing. Remember-- he shunned the world when 9/11 happened. He said he can fix it himself. :roll: Be grateful that he cannot go for a third term. (I *will* flame those who imply that there is a prop/law pending to remove that restriction-- no way in Hell Bush will run for a third term!!).

bush_stupid2.jpg

Bush: "Uh, like, D'uh?"​

So, remember this: Bush doesn't represent the majority's opinion. I am sure if you survey the people in New Orleans if they are willing to take foreign help-- they will say "YES!" So... again-- Bush is a single man who has too much power in his hands to welt abuse upon the people, unfortunately, the same people who put him in that tryanny position.

LOL @ Gnarly's post.

Canada did offered them some powerful rescue teams & organizations to help federal & LA officals out and HLS (Homeland Security) declined. That is like the most stupid move ever HLS made.

The news recently announced that whoever volunteers included rescue teams have to pay their own gas. That'd reduce the effort of rescuing greatly.

My parents are from Jamaica and the only thing that keeping them afloat is tourists dollars. It ain't every day that countries that really can't afford to send aid, so the administration better well take it. This is BS!

its really sad of what happen to everyone down in New Orleans, Lousisna, Mississippi and Alabama. Those people have my prayer, Thanks fro the infos abt donating money, i will ask nozobo since he works @ Wal-mart to see if they are donating money to the victims then will donate some money.
About the looting, i have to agree with Reba, OceanBreeze, and Kuifje75, is because they are stealing things like jewerly,etc to sell. what if its heirloom? or someone works hard for that, u know what i mean. Im shock to see that men stealing beers, he should be helping not looting. if really need food for their kids i will understand but looting other things like Jewerly, tv, etc is wrong!!!

Because Bush is a conceited and arrogant boy from Texas where there are full of cowboys who huffs and puffs over nothing.
*coughs* BULLSHIT *coughs* And yet TEXANS are the only ones to pitch in so far.

My mother called and said that they are now sending refugees to Dallas and Ft Worth, in addition to San Antonio and Houston.... (the astrodome has now reached capacity at over 11 thousand people. They sent 25 thousand to Dallas today.)

why is texas the only state taking in lousianna refugees?
where are the rest of the states in the union? why does texas have to be the only state to take in all these people?
you know once they get to texas they will never leave and texas shouldnt be the ONLY state taking the brunt of it all
these refugees are homeless, jobless people, the same ones who are currently raping, pillaging, shooting at helicopters, and beating police officers, not exactly the kind of people you want moving in next door, much less taking over your town and state
this is the scum of society and while i feel for them, i dont feel that any one state should have to incur their wrath
and they are bitching about the conditions, maybe they should have stayed in their sewer! they expect to be put up in the RITZ???? dammit, everyone is doing the best that they can and they arent even grateful for THAT. they act like we owe it to them. hell, we didnt send katrina their way! and, they should have evacuated when they were told to evacuate!
i just dont think the state of texas can afford to take on all these refugees alone.
According to the newspapers, congress is rushing a bill to approve aid. but does that include transporting these refugees BACK to louisianna when all is said and done? i doubt it
send some to florida
send some to arkansas
send some to tennessee
send some to oklahoma
send em to georgia!!!
hell i dont care, but out of 50 states, it seems that more than one could become housing grounds
i think we need to be sending donations to the state of texas too, since it seems to be the ONLY state taking in 23k people

now that i am done ranting, how about we ALL pitch in to help alleviate the situation. http://www.artkunst.net/hhw/katrina/index.htm

Shot looters because they stealing things ? :roll:

The police has no reason to shot them but RUN and CHASE them... Why can´t they? To me, shot the looters sound sort of "coward"... IMO.
The Charleston police never had to shoot anyone because there were no looters. They were too afraid to loot. That's how it works. If the looters know there is a strong police force that will do what they say, then the looting doesn't happen. No one was hurt or killed.

If the police department is weak, then criminals take advantage of that.

"Run and chase" looters? What good does that do? They will just come back again.

Don't forget, the criminals are also raping, beating up people, and shooting people. They are violent people.

Eve said:
*coughs* BULLSHIT *coughs* And yet TEXANS are the only ones to pitch in so far.

My mother called and said that they are now sending refugees to Dallas and Ft Worth, in addition to San Antonio and Houston.... (the astrodome has now reached capacity at over 11 thousand people. They sent 25 thousand to Dallas today.)

why is texas the only state taking in lousianna refugees?
where are the rest of the states in the union? why does texas have to be the only state to take in all these people?
you know once they get to texas they will never leave and texas shouldnt be the ONLY state taking the brunt of it all
these refugees are homeless, jobless people, the same ones who are currently raping, pillaging, shooting at helicopters, and beating police officers, not exactly the kind of people you want moving in next door, much less taking over your town and state
this is the scum of society and while i feel for them, i dont feel that any one state should have to incur their wrath
and they are bitching about the conditions, maybe they should have stayed in their sewer! they expect to be put up in the RITZ???? dammit, everyone is doing the best that they can and they arent even grateful for THAT. they act like we owe it to them. hell, we didnt send katrina their way! and, they should have evacuated when they were told to evacuate!
i just dont think the state of texas can afford to take on all these refugees alone.
According to the newspapers, congress is rushing a bill to approve aid. but does that include transporting these refugees BACK to louisianna when all is said and done? i doubt it
send some to florida
send some to arkansas
send some to tennessee
send some to oklahoma
send em to georgia!!!
hell i dont care, but out of 50 states, it seems that more than one could become housing grounds
i think we need to be sending donations to the state of texas too, since it seems to be the ONLY state taking in 23k people

now that i am done ranting, how about we ALL pitch in to help alleviate the situation. http://www.artkunst.net/hhw/katrina/index.htm

23,000 are nothing when we have hundred thousand people still stuck out there.

Texas are closer to Lousiana and it costs less for them to transport them to Texas than to farthest states.

Quit bitching, we send alot helpers over there from here in CA. So are other states.

Beside Bush should have done it faster right after it happened instead of waiting too long. Many people already are dead because of too slow. Of course I am angry at our government for not doing it quick and let other countries help us when we need them.

What about property insurance? They can cover everything when you lost your home to hurriances, thunderstrom, etc. It sound that there´re no property insurance obligation in your country. Right?
If people have insurance coverage, then it pays for damages. However, that is not 100 percent coverage. They have to pay deductibles, and they have to prove the value of what was lost. Also, it takes a long time to process.

Some people don't bother to get insurance, so they are not covered.

It´s Insurance companies´s duty to warn people before buy/built their houses at flood zone.
When a person applies for insurance, the agent will look up the address to see if the property is in the flood zone. If it is, then the agent can sell the insurance to the home/property owner.

Everyone in the New Orleans and Gulfport areas knew they were in flood zones. It was not a secret.

Reba said:
The Charleston police never had to shoot anyone because there were no looters. They were too afraid to loot. That's how it works. If the looters know there is a strong police force that will do what they say, then the looting doesn't happen. No one was hurt or killed.

If the police department is weak, then criminals take advantage of that.

"Run and chase" looters? What good does that do? They will just come back again.

Don't forget, the criminals are also raping, beating up people, and shooting people. They are violent people.

This might be ideal in a perfect world; police being plentiful everywhere ready to handle any violence and anarchy. Wait. If such forces are lacking....

It might pay to have civilians who are able to handle violence of any type if there is no police present.

23,000 are nothing when we have hundred thousand people still stuck out there.

Texas are closer to Lousiana and it costs less for them to transport them to Texas than to farthest states.

Quit bitching, we send alot helpers over there from here in CA. So are other states.

Beside Bush should have done it faster right after it happened instead of waiting too long. Many people already are dead because of too slow. Of course I am angry at our government for not doing it quick and let other countries help us when we need them.
again, i say BULLSHIT. the states I listed above are just as close.

The government has been on the ball since this began, it isn't the president's fault that these people didnt evacuate when they were told to evacuate BEFORE the hurricaine hit. The government has been doing all they can do, as quickly as they can. It isn't easy to move that many people all at once. And once all those "hundred thousand" are finally rescued, where do you expect they will go? California? *scoffs* didn't think so!

Your state may be sending helpers (all states are sending helpers), but I dont see you sending buses to transport the refugees into YOUR backyard.

Eve said:
...where are the rest of the states in the union? why does texas have to be the only state to take in all these people?
Some states are too far away to offer shelters for people. For example, it doesn't make sense to transport people from LA to Oregon or Maine. It would take too long to get there.

However, here in Charleston, they have set up shelters for the victims of the hurricane. We already have 30 people here, and are expecting another 30. Other refugees are staying with families here. So some other states are helping. Also, Charleston sent buses of police and firefighters to help in the destroyed areas.

After hurricane Hugo, the mayor of Charleston promised that any time a hurricane hit another city in the Southeast, he would send help. He has kept that promise. Every year since 1989 that a hurricane hit a Southeastern state, and a city needed help, Charleston sent help. The police have a special mobile command post and water buffalo tanker that they send with the police cars, so they have all their own supplies and communications.

...they should have evacuated when they were told to evacuate!
That is true. However, I know that some people were not able to evacuate because they didn't have transportation. The city and state government really should have made better effort to evacuate the citizens. They should have called up the NG to drive buses out of the city before the hurricane hit. It is the governor who has the authority to call up the state's NG.

Reba, Im glad Charleston is helping out, but in reality, 60 compared to 25k doesnt really compare. I do see your point about states further away, but what about Georgia? They are just as close as Texas, and I don't see them putting out the welcome mat to 25k.

Angelina Jolie was blunt on the current aid to N.O. (I like her spirit):
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050903/ap_en_ce/katrina_jolie

"It is wonderful to hear of the relief efforts that are finally coming into New Orleans and the rest of the region today, but as we all know, it is simply not going to be enough," she said.
She says she has written to members of Congress and the White House asking for more faster aid from the government already.

*hint hint*

What did you guys think of her response to the New Orleans disaster? Is she right on target?

N. Charleston makes room for Gulf Coast families

BY NOAH HAGLUND
Of The Post and Courier Staff

North Charleston rolled out the welcome mat Thursday night to absorb several Gulf Coast families displaced by Hurricane Katrina, according to city officials and the Red Cross.
The city's Armory Park facility opened for the families at 8 p.m. Thursday. North Charleston was preparing to host them for the long term, if necessary, said Ed Barfield, city recreation director.

"Our city would like to have an impact somehow," Barfield said. "My plan is to actually place them here as members of our city."

This is no temporary arrangement; the children could be enrolled in local schools and join local athletic groups, Barfield said.

"We'll be trying to make them feel at home any way we can," he said. "I think we've got the ability to make things work."

Currently, Armory Park is used as a meeting space and a youth summer camp. It also houses the city's athletic division. There are several usable rooms with access to refrigerators and other amenities.city's athletic division. There are several usable rooms with access to refrigerators and other amenities.

"They're all air-conditioned," Barfield said. "They're all nice and clean." The facility at 5000 Lackawanna Blvd. is initially expected to house about 30 people, according to the local Red Cross chapter.

Some refugees had been staying at the Red Cross facility on 8085 Rivers Ave. while others went to friends and family or hotels, but have no place to stay indefinitely, said Jim Ledbetter, executive director for the Carolina Lowcountry Chapter of the Red Cross.

"We're meeting their immediate critical needs," Ledbetter said.

http://www.charleston.net/stories/Default.aspx?newsID=38616&section=localnews

Displaced students welcome

BY SEANNA ADCOX
Of The Post and Courier Staff

Students left homeless by Hurricane Katrina are on their way to South Carolina and are welcome in the state's public schools, state Superintendent Inez Tenenbaum said Thursday.
Some Palmetto State schools already have enrolled students seeking refuge from areas hammered by Katrina, Tenenbaum said after speaking by phone conference with district superintendents across the state.

"We don't know how many of these students will come here, but we want them to know that they will be warmly received, and that we'll make their transition for entering school as simple as possible," Tenenbaum said.

...Their parents or guardians don't need to provide any documentation -- no birth certificate, immunization records or proof of residency -- to enroll them in public school. They automatically qualify for free meals at school and bus transportation.said, "and we're getting ready for them."

One displaced family staying with relatives had already enrolled a child at Flowertown Elementary School, said Pat Raynor, spokeswoman for Dorchester 2 (Summerville) schools. She said more will enroll after the Labor Day weekend....

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=38622&section=localnews

A PARTIAL LIST OF LOWCOUNTRY AID

-- U.S. Coast Guard: Deploying cutter Oak. 21 "Aids to Navigation" team members from four Southeastern states, including the Charleston base, to repair channel markers and reopen ports to get relief supplies in.

-- U.S. Air Force: Four C-17 crews on standby

-- American Red Cross Carolina Lowcountry Chapter: Five disaster relief workers sent. Training under way for 80 volunteers. Assisting 12 evacuated families, prepared to open a shelter. Training session Wednesday. Volunteers should prepare for two-week assignment, 764-2323, ext. 364.

-- Charleston County: Police, medical, hazardous material, search and rescue and divers are available to respond.

-- Berkeley County: Two sheriff's deputies being deployed. Fifteen to 20 personnel are available, including a paramedic team and trailer capable of treating 500 patients, an ATV, a hazardous materials trailer and three quick-response emergency vehicles.

-- Dorchester County: Fifteen-man police team with two boats, an ATV, a Humvee and divers are available to respond.

-- Charleston: Fifty-five police officers deployed with equipment from airboats to drinking water. Fire and public service department employees are available.

-- North Charleston: Sixteen police officers and 10 firefighters deploying today with electric generators, cooling equipment, hazardous material and cleanup gear, a mobile communications unit and a self-contained crime lab.

-- Mount Pleasant: Sixteen police and firefighters are leaving today.

-- Summerville: Five firefighters who are trained in urban search and rescue and dealing with hazardous materials were on standby Wednesday afternoon, preparing to head to New Orleans when called.

-- Charleston Air Force Base: Sent its first relief plane Thursday to Pope Air Force Base in North Carolina to pick up 18 pallets of medical supplies, then onto the New Orleans airport. That mission followed one on Wednesday that dropped off humanitarian aid and an assessment team in Mississippi. Meanwhile, 16 active duty airmen are expected to leave soon to help at the airport for up to 60 days. Those crews will work on transportation and maintenance issues as well as loading and unloading airplanes.

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=38599&section=localnews

Back