Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Eve said:
again, i say BULLSHIT. the states I listed above are just as close.

The government has been on the ball since this began, it isn't the president's fault that these people didnt evacuate when they were told to evacuate BEFORE the hurricaine hit. The government has been doing all they can do, as quickly as they can. It isn't easy to move that many people all at once. And once all those "hundred thousand" are finally rescued, where do you expect they will go? California? *scoffs* didn't think so!

Your state may be sending helpers (all states are sending helpers), but I dont see you sending buses to transport the refugees into YOUR backyard.

alot people there does not have cars when they need to leave there. Govt were responsible for those people since we are tax payers, we should have all kind of access with the help but guess what our govt did not do anything with those people right before when the hurricane hit them. The govt were stupid enough by send them to that football stadium. I knew right then they should evaucation whole places. I guess they did not learn lesson from Camille. Now alot people are dead and many more are dying thanks to the government for not doing their job proper..I blame government for not help them esp the poorest of all. Mississippi is one of poorest state in the nation and too many people there were too poor to leave. At the end they paid dearly with their lives. And it pissed me off cuz our country are not doing good for all of us esp the poor people.

Your bet they will come to other states to live for short time not just Texas only. quit tell us we dont do anything for them. I don't see Texas helped Ca often when we had many diasters in the past.
Buses sent to LA from Texas? Who pay the buses? The donators, not only Texans.

Speak for youself in good ole Texas, people are coming here to MD/DC by loads of Buses and more expected this weekend.

no diapers.
where do babies poop or pee, on their mommas?

That would be terrible.

The idiocy of some people truly amazes me. This was a natural disaster. The government didn't force Katrina on Louisianna and Mississippi. It just happened and they are doing their best to clean up afterward. Texas didn't need to intervene during any of California's "many disasters in the past" because there was not the magnitude of destruction seen here with Katrina. The federal government was sufficient to pick up the pieces in California. That is not the case here. There was no way for the feds to force everyone out of their homes with 2 days notice. Those people knew they were living below sealevel in a hurricaine prone area. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Speak for youself in good ole Texas
I believe I have, but it all started with this imbecilic quote
Because Bush is a conceited and arrogant boy from Texas where there are full of cowboys who huffs and puffs over nothing.
You can be assured that no matter how many other states get involved at this point, it will not be to the same amount as TEXAS, yet TEXANS are "conceited" and "arrogant" and are "cowboys who huffs and puffs over nothing". These TEXANS are saving the day and you'd better pray that these cowboys come to your aid, should you ever need it.

Eve said:
...This was a natural disaster. . . These TEXANS are saving the day and you'd better pray that these cowboys come to your aid, should you ever need it.
:gpost:

Very STUPID remarks! 200 years ago or before, NOBODY ever heard of diapers! How do they manage? Go figure MISS I. PEE!

your middle name is IDIOT! Right?

Miss*Pinocchio said:
no diapers.
where do babies poop or pee, on their mommas?

That would be terrible.

jazzy said:
alot people there does not have cars when they need to leave there.
True. The Governor should have activated the LA NG sooner and got buses in there to evacuate people. It is the Governor of each state that is most responsible for evacuations. The mayors don't have the same authority or resources. It is the responsibility of the mayor to call the governor and tell him what is needed. Then the governor acts with state resources, and also contacts the federal government for help.

Our SC governor did not do enough when we had to have a massive evacuation for hurricane Floyd. It was a failed nightmare! As a result, our state did NOT re-elect Gov. Hodges. It was his fault, not the mayors or President.

Govt were responsible for those people since we are tax payers...
The government should help people during a disaster but not just because they are taxpayers. As a matter of fact, most of the poor people who couldn't evacuate (that is, those who could not, not those who would not) were not tax payers.

... The govt were stupid enough by send them to that football stadium.
True. When I first heard that they were going to use the stadium for a shelter I told Hubby, that is not a good idea. It reminded me of the shelter that was set up for hurricane Hugo in McClellanville, SC. It was a high school building in a poor black rural community. During the hurricane it began to flood inside the building. The parents tore out the ceiling tiles and stuck their children in the attic to prevent them from drowning. Instead of a shelter, it almost became a mass tomb. When I saw the Super Bowl, I had the same bad feeling about it. A shelter should never be set up in a risky area. Shelter should mean "safe place", not a trap in the middle of a flood.

San Antonio helps Katrina victims

San Antonio is doing its part to help people affected by Katrina. One local TV station has collected $300K in donations. This is a story from the local paper.

Online at: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA090305.1A.kelly_arrivals.1d925a4e.html

2,500 Katrina evacuees journey to KellyUSA; many got out with nothing
Web Posted: 09/03/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mary Moreno and Tracy Idell Hamilton
Express-News Staff Writers/mysa.com

Keith Johnson, a 28-year-old sheriff's deputy from New Orleans, lay in the grass and cried.

He'd just gotten off a plane from the beleaguered Big Easy after being trapped on a highway overpass for two days without food or water. Before that, he toiled with other deputies, rescuing people trapped all over the city.

The exhausted man tried to tell his story, but his words jumbled: "We walked from the overpass to the dome in 5 feet of water. Through oil and feces and filth."

Johnson hasn't seen his children in five days. He's pretty sure they're safe on one of the dozens of buses bringing Hurricane Katrina victims to KellyUSA, where Johnson and 2,500 others arrived Friday by bus, plane and car.

A total of 7,500 people are expected here by Sunday.

Those arriving are weary and grubby. Most have nothing except the clothes they're wearing.

The first nine buses pulled up about 9:30 a.m., surprising officials, who expected an airlift to bring the first batch. But Houston's Astrodome had reached capacity, and buses heading there were diverted to San Antonio.

As those buses sat in the KellyUSA parking lot, police, firefighters and military personnel hurriedly set up the last of more than 2,000 cots.

Officials say KellyUSA can hold about 5,000 people; the next wave will go to Freeman Coliseum, and officials began preparing the old Levi Strauss & Co. plant late Friday to also receive storm victims.

Shuttered businesses around the city also are being considered. Other cities across Texas are taking in evacuees, too.

Some people were sent here by officials in New Orleans.

Others, like Felicia Jones and 19 of her family members, came on their own. Jones left her New Orleans home early Saturday, before Katrina's arrival, and stayed with a relative. But the three-bedroom home was too small for everyone to stay there long.

So they went to KellyUSA, emotionally drained and unsure when — or even if — they would be able to return home.

"You try to stay strong," Jones said, "and hold yourself together."

A massive operation converted office space at KellyUSA into a dormitory and cafeteria.

As buses arrived, so did trucks carrying supplies donated by various companies: food from H.E. Butt Grocery Co., computers and phones from SBC Communications Inc., cell phones from Cingular Wireless.

Flatbed trucks brought portable bathrooms, and the Salvation Army will provide three meals a day.

"We're slammed," said Dr. Donald Gordon, medical director of the city's EMS system.

He was working at the shelter late Friday afternoon with teams from the University of Texas Health Science Center and the Metropolitan Health District, plus a handful of volunteer doctors and nurses.

Between 1,200 and 1,400 people had signed in by that time, 300 more had just arrived "and there are two more airplanes on the flight line," Gordon said. "This is just a huge operation."

Considering the numbers, he said, the medical operation was running as smoothly as could be expected. He said most people were in good shape. A few were sent to hospitals for dialysis.

San Antonio residents helped out, too. A man driving a packed SUV said his 11-year-old daughter wanted to donate everything she had; she kept only two outfits.

But Capt. Michael Morton of the Salvation Army begged people not to donate any more clothing. In the first four hours that the donations station at KellyUSA was open, a mountain of clothing and shoes was donated.

"This happens during every disaster," Morton said. "It's the first thing we say, every time. It's so generous, but we just don't need it."

San Antonio police and Bexar County sheriff's deputies searched people as they entered the shelter. A medical evaluation followed, and some were taken to hospitals.

Police Chief Albert Ortiz sent scores of officers to the shelter — "a lot more than we need."

"We're going to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best," Ortiz said.

That's all Eric Parker is doing.

"I stood in the water for four days," said Parker, a 45-year-old cement mason. "They couldn't rescue us where we were, so we had to walk to a school, water up to the chest. We had to leave some of the elderly people. We got a boat to come back for them."

Parker has nothing left; no material possessions except the clothes he has worn for days.

"All I've got is Proverbs 3:5-6," he said, smiling in spite of his plight.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding," he said. "In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight."

-----------------------------------------------------

mmoreno@express-news.net

Eve said:
*coughs* BULLSHIT *coughs* And yet TEXANS are the only ones to pitch in so far.
Eve said:
again, i say BULLSHIT. the states I listed above are just as close.

where do you expect they will go? California? *scoffs* didn't think so!
.... What? I don't know where you did get these ... 'facts' and I don't think I want to know. But that is completely inaccurate and I'm sorry to say that jazzy is quite correct. They, in fact, ARE going to California or other states beside ... Texas with Moveon and other organizations' help. I explained partly in my new topic. If it did not appear on Fox News, it certainly does not mean that it did not happen.

Nas, her parents and I did our part. And guess what? They are coming to stay at our places (Nas' apt and her parents' Sportsmen RV) and we are Californians *gasp!*. There are lot of Californians who offered housing and donations. I'm sure that many Californians--and other Americans--are aware that California is quite far from New Orleans but they did help by giving donations, if not housing.

My local TV news reportedly that some Katrina victims are currently seeking the shelters in California and are getting help from Californians. And this:

MSNBC said:
MoveOn.org Civic Action, which set up HurricaneHousing.org on Thursday, said its Web site listed offers for 50,950 beds on Friday afternoon, and the number was climbing by more than 1,000 per hour.

"Hurricane victims or relief agencies can submit requests to people who post housing offers," the site says. "They decide if it's a good match and then reply to make the necessary arrangements." To protect the privacy of the hosts, their contact information is hidden from view until they decide to accept a request. People in need are getting matches, but the organization is looking for ways to accelerate the process. MoveOn says it's preparing to roll out broadcast public service announcements featuring Tim Robbins, Moby and John Cusack to spread the word.
Source: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9175917/

In other words, 'Texans' will be not the only ones who are taking the brunt of it.

Eve said:
:) Actions sure speak louder than words, huh?
Indeed. My new topic said all about California. Thank you. God bless Moveon & America.

I have to admit that Texas was pretty quick in accepting more folks and that has my admiration, AND I understand that more states are pitching now in. Better later than never and every bit helps. It doesn't have to be a contest, right? Let's not forget the individuals scattered all over the USA and the world who are giving their aid within their power. :) I couldn't believe that one of the posters here were looking into finding displaced families to stay with them. That was amazing and powerful.

The area destroyed by the hurricane is HUGE. At least 90,000 square miles are under federal disaster declaration. That is almost the size of the entire United Kingdom (93,788 square miles). Can you imagine the impact if all of England (including Scotland, Ireland, and Wales) was destroyed? That is how big the area is. :shock:

Ok...first things FIRST! STOP POINTING FUCKIN FINGERS!!!! I keep reading all these emails and posts about how the Bush administration has failed in regard to Katrina..... WHAT??? Bush failed??? WTF? (OK, I'm about to offend the shit out of some people so if you can't handle the TRUTH, STOP READING NOW!!!!) Why is no one stating the absolute truth about what really happened down there? First... EVERYONE was told to GET THE FUCK OUT!!! EVEN if you have no where to go..JUST GET OUT!!! Why do I keep hearing about people getting rescued who say (in shitty english I might add) "We wuz thinkin weze could ride dis one heya out....we'ze wuz wrong". And you know that a shitload of those lower class people stayed behind because they ABSOLUTELY planned on looting after Katrina passed. Not all, but some.

90% of the responsibility here falls on the LOCAL government. How come the local government wasnt prepared for this? Why didnt the local government use school busses and city busses to evacuate those who couldn't afford or were too old or sick to get out on their own. (Interesting fact... someone counted and there are 210 school buses under water). Why did the mayor not call on the 10,000 guard members THE NEXT DAY???? I'll tell you why. There is no leadership down there. The first line of defense in a situation like this is local, then state, THEN FEDERAL!

Oh and how about all those New Orleans cops that handed in their badges and quit? How come thats not being reported? Why are idiots shooting at rescue helicopters and boats??? Why are stupid black women throwing away MRE's? (Meals Ready to Eat) And yes, that DID happen. So your poor ass who didn't evacuate is too fucking good for the food that our troops live on over in Iraq? And yeah, Ive eaten those before when I was in the Air Force, they are not that bad. So this ignorant bitch is crying how she hasn't eaten in days, and when they hand her an MRE, she THROWS IT AWAY!?!?!?!? If I was there, I would've told the bitch she can starve for all I care.

Ok..next.. why are minorities looting shoe's and jewelry and dvd's? Food I can understand, but come on...lets call a spade a spade! If you're caught looting for anything else than food, you should be shot. Point blank. In the head. And...if you shoot at a rescue vehicle, you should be tortured, then shot....and no, I'm not joking.

This is how it works people. When a disaster like this occurs, local government is supposed to act. They had no plan. They had 40 years to plan for this and they did nothing. No Levy improvements, no evacuation plan, and the superdome was their only fucking shelter? Thats it??? And why was the Mayor on the news CURSING about busses when there are 210 of them underwater that THEY had control of? Hmmm I guess hindsight is 20/20 huh? If your City is BELOW sea level and and you are that close to a river, lake, and the Gulf, dontchya think you might kinda wanna have some kind of plan in place for something that is bound to happen? This is not Bush's fault. Next after local government, comes the state. They are the next level of response for this type of catastrophe. Where were they? What did they do? What was there plan? (wow, thats alot of questions with no answers) Ok, last....Federal...thats where Bush steps in. Bush steps in and shit starts to get done. IT SHOULD HAVE been started already before Bush got there. If the local government was anything like Rudy Guliani (who will be our next president by the way) this would be a completely different situation then what we have now.

Ok.... let's just look at this:
1. Local Gov't should have evacuated everyone they could (didn't happen)
2. Katrina hits
3. Local Gov't calls for support from national guard (which didn't happen)
4. State asks local Gov't what they need (didn't happen)
5. Federal Gov't steps in and ASSISTS and sends relief money (happened)
see my point?

People, if you're going to point fingers, point them south where the blame really lies. The LOCAL government is at fault here. THEY HAD NO PLAN. With that being said, I really hope people get their shit together down there and I wish them the best. Now...Im going to make a prediction here. That entire local government is going to be replaced and you probably wont hear too much about it when it happens. Why? Because the media loves to bash Bush. Seriously....if you are going to watch the news, watch Fox news. They are the only bi-partisan news channel on tv.

:applause: :gpost: That is a great POINT! The local govt should have done something because they needed a evacutation plan and they have done NOTHING and let the feds take care of it, like they're BABIES.

C.C.Sinned said:
Ok...first things FIRST! STOP POINTING FUCKIN FINGERS!!!! I keep reading all these emails and posts about how the Bush administration has failed in regard to Katrina..... WHAT??? Bush failed??? WTF? (OK, I'm about to offend the shit out of some people so if you can't handle the TRUTH, STOP READING NOW!!!!) Why is no one stating the absolute truth about what really happened down there? First... EVERYONE was told to GET THE FUCK OUT!!! EVEN if you have no where to go..JUST GET OUT!!! Why do I keep hearing about people getting rescued who say (in shitty english I might add) "We wuz thinkin weze could ride dis one heya out....we'ze wuz wrong". And you know that a shitload of those lower class people stayed behind because they ABSOLUTELY planned on looting after Katrina passed. Not all, but some.

90% of the responsibility here falls on the LOCAL government. How come the local government wasnt prepared for this? Why didnt the local government use school busses and city busses to evacuate those who couldn't afford or were too old or sick to get out on their own. (Interesting fact... someone counted and there are 210 school buses under water). Why did the mayor not call on the 10,000 guard members THE NEXT DAY???? I'll tell you why. There is no leadership down there. The first line of defense in a situation like this is local, then state, THEN FEDERAL!

Oh and how about all those New Orleans cops that handed in their badges and quit? How come thats not being reported? Why are idiots shooting at rescue helicopters and boats??? Why are stupid black women throwing away MRE's? (Meals Ready to Eat) And yes, that DID happen. So your poor ass who didn't evacuate is too fucking good for the food that our troops live on over in Iraq? And yeah, Ive eaten those before when I was in the Air Force, they are not that bad. So this ignorant bitch is crying how she hasn't eaten in days, and when they hand her an MRE, she THROWS IT AWAY!?!?!?!? If I was there, I would've told the bitch she can starve for all I care.

Ok..next.. why are minorities looting shoe's and jewelry and dvd's? Food I can understand, but come on...lets call a spade a spade! If you're caught looting for anything else than food, you should be shot. Point blank. In the head. And...if you shoot at a rescue vehicle, you should be tortured, then shot....and no, I'm not joking.

This is how it works people. When a disaster like this occurs, local government is supposed to act. They had no plan. They had 40 years to plan for this and they did nothing. No Levy improvements, no evacuation plan, and the superdome was their only fucking shelter? Thats it??? And why was the Mayor on the news CURSING about busses when there are 210 of them underwater that THEY had control of? Hmmm I guess hindsight is 20/20 huh? If your City is BELOW sea level and and you are that close to a river, lake, and the Gulf, dontchya think you might kinda wanna have some kind of plan in place for something that is bound to happen? This is not Bush's fault. Next after local government, comes the state. They are the next level of response for this type of catastrophe. Where were they? What did they do? What was there plan? (wow, thats alot of questions with no answers) Ok, last....Federal...thats where Bush steps in. Bush steps in and shit starts to get done. IT SHOULD HAVE been started already before Bush got there. If the local government was anything like Rudy Guliani (who will be our next president by the way) this would be a completely different situation then what we have now.

Ok.... let's just look at this:
1. Local Gov't should have evacuated everyone they could (didn't happen)
2. Katrina hits
3. Local Gov't calls for support from national guard (which didn't happen)
4. State asks local Gov't what they need (didn't happen)
5. Federal Gov't steps in and ASSISTS and sends relief money (happened)
see my point?

People, if you're going to point fingers, point them south where the blame really lies. The LOCAL government is at fault here. THEY HAD NO PLAN. With that being said, I really hope people get their shit together down there and I wish them the best. Now...Im going to make a prediction here. That entire local government is going to be replaced and you probably wont hear too much about it when it happens. Why? Because the media loves to bash Bush. Seriously....if you are going to watch the news, watch Fox news. They are the only bi-partisan news channel on tv.

I have my own opinion of this mess but I will not share mine until the crisis of aftermath is over. I'm not entirely interested in politicize this tragedy.

C.C.Sinned said:
Seriously....if you are going to watch the news, watch Fox news. They are the only bi-partisan news channel on tv.
As you may or may not aware that I do have high respect for you but Fox news as bi-partisan? I disagree. No, they are not. They are MORE partisan than any TV news on this earth in human history. They constantly bashed the liberals while kissed conservatives' asses. I don't know how they can be "bi-partisan". I personally would suggest anyone to not watch ANY TV news at all but again, it is entirely up to them to watch any TV news.

Before I say anything, I want to anyone to note that I hate CNN with pure hatred. However Anderson Cooper on CNN is pretty good. He bashed many politicans, local, state, federals (both democrats and republicans) about Katrina & New Orleans. Now that is bi-partisan. Althought it is extremely rare to see any bi-partisan action on TV news.

Ok, I'm done and I want to show the pictures (before and after). It looks pretty bad:

katrinabeforeafter_500x277.jpg

superdome_500x320.jpg

biloxi_500x277.jpg

biloxibridge_right_500x210.jpg

830katrinadamage550x713.jpg

Last edited:
As I stated in my previous post that I refrain my opinions (or facts that I had been bookmarking) from this topic but I want to post this statement:

Most of you probably haven't noticed, but the SA servers finally had their plug pulled Thursday afternoon despite the heroic efforts of the people at DirectNIC. While I appreciate what they did for us, their devotion to some websites seems a little misguided in the midst of what is happening. That "what" is hell on earth in the greater New Orleans area.

Rich, myself, Livestock, and probably some of the other writers have been watching the hurricane aftermath with nothing short of dumb shock. There is a disaster going on right now and it is manmade. The disaster is three strangers in Mississippi, together because they're all that's left and alone in a town without buildings, drinking floodwater polluted by corpses, shit and gasoline. The disaster is a woman wading through waist deep streets holding her daughter and wondering why the trucks won't stop to get her out of the city. The disaster is ICU patients dying one after another because diesel didn't flow and order couldn't be kept. It's an uninterrupted chain of personal disasters. It's inept triage on a national scale.

It's unbelievable that this is America. It's hard to comprehend that these repeating images of herds of people without food or water or medical treatment after nearly a week are happening on our soil. They're our fellow citizens and while the politicians, directors, planners and generals congratulate each other at press conferences they are suffering and dying.

I have seen some efforts in the media to pressure officials to accept responsibility. None have, because in public office the buck stops nowhere. The only person I have really seen come close to capturing the raw fury of the people trapped in New Orleans or forgotten in Mississippi and Alabama is CNN's Anderson Cooper. He confronted Democratic Senator Mary Landrieu on live TV, chiding her with a voice cracking with emotion that he couldn't believe the politicians were patting each other on the back over a job well done when he just saw rats eating a woman's body in the street of Biloxi.

On the Internet I've seen people blatantly placing blame on Bush, FEMA, Congress, the National Guard, and even Homeland Security. Who is responsible? Who should be blamed? All of them. This is a colossal failure of our government to care for and protect its citizenry on every conceivable level.

The heroes are the men and women on the scene doing their utmost to help those in need. Coast Guard rescue workers plucking people to safety and Red Cross workers feeding people from emergency kitchens are heroes. The man who commandeered a bus and got people out of New Orleans when the government was woefully impotent is a hero. The woman who smashed the glass on a convenience store to loot bottled water for fifteen kids who should have been absolutely inundated with supplies by then is a hero. The doctors and nurses hand-bagging ventilator patients 24 hours a day in dark hospitals are heroes.

In the ineloquent but true words of the Mayor of New Orleans: "Don't tell me 40,000 people are coming here. They're not here. It's too doggone late. Now get off your asses and do something, and let's fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country." CNN was better prepared to deal with this disaster than FEMA was.

I am ashamed of my country's government in a universal way right now. Republicans, democrats, opportunists, it doesn't matter; they're all guilty in this situation. In a magical world where justice is actually served most of these people would not have jobs in a month or two. Instead the people without jobs will be the millions who have lost everything and found their government with its back turned. Remember that people are still dying because of this incompetence. Remember that when each and every one of these fools appears on TV for a photo op or complains about "placing blame later," because placing blame now is the only hope America has to change the situation.

Chuck Norris wouldn't allow this bullshit to happen.
Source: http://www.somethingawful.com

My friends & rivals, that does represent my feelings exactly. Note: It is not opinion or facts. It is just a pure feeling. I hope it is non-spinnable enough for everyone in this topic. If anyone cannot stand or tolerate expressing my feeling about this situation, I'd tell anyone where to stuff and suck them up.

Okay, I'm out for some small family reunion to discuss about wedding. See you tomorrow or whenever. Later.

Hey, see? CCSinned got the point across loud and clear! I hate those people who blamed on presidents of the United States of America! They are just bunch of idiots expecting ONE person take care of EVERYTHING and ALL! That is BEYOND whats really impossible! United States Gov't let each local branch of government deal with their local issues.
IMHO, any idiots would want to live way below sea level and be close to the river and Ocean, and expects NOTHING to happens? Whats wrong with these idiots? I would NEVER want to live in the south! Hurricane, too destructive and devasating than just cute blizzard that I really enjoy from time to time. They don't have that magitude of destructive power like Hurricane do.
I also think that bowl of Orleans should be filled with dirt and have serious plan for future Hurricane.

Let me remind you, what concerns me is that in New York City, they have NOT had any earthquake for the past 200 years. That NYC is really on fault line! That Fault line is waiting to go off anytime. How can NYC handle this disaster if the magnitude hits 3.0 or higher on richter scale? Believe me, only 3% of the building and structure is capable of holding from 3.0 to 10.0! Image, only three exits from NYC area after the quake hits. How can 13 million people escape? Are you going to blame on that president at that time when this shit happens? Why only 3 exits available? Remember when earthquakes hits, Most, or all of the bridges and tunnels will be collapsed. Scary, eh? What did NYC do about it? NOTHING! Whose fault is it?

Back