After surgery and recovery for CI

Do you go home after recovery or stay all night?

• same day as the surgery

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • stay overnight

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
Ditto here too. Had mine last week and just recovered from the balance problems now. Thought I'd be a day patient as I was there at 7.30am, got called up at 10am only to find out that they had the wrong person so came back down to wait for another recall to surgery - waited till 11.10am then I was recalled - the staff up there were ever so apologetic and had a little argument with the same nurse who brought me to surgery. Before I knew it I was gone in a fit of laughter! came round at 4.30pm - too groggy to go home the same day so kept me overnight. Found that my balance was shot and had to ask the nurses repeatedly through the night for assistance to walk from one end of the ward to the other end of the ward to the toilets! You should see the line I walked unaided - so much like a drunk - weaving here and there. Had my antibiotics combo late at night - 11pm and again at 7am. Became more lucid at 7am and had some breakfast. They sent me to x-ray before discharging me. They kept me waiting in x-ray after the x-ray was done cos the porter was none where to be found. The radiographer constantly bleeped the porter to turn up - turned up 45 mins later! gave the porter a piece of my mind and remonstrated that he should not drag me than push me on the porter chair across the place! (I come from a medical background so know what should happen in hospital, poor dad - he was furious, he's a MD for heavens sake!) :roll:

Congrats on your surgery! :)

Out of curiosity,, what CI brand did you choose?

Ditto here too. Had mine last week and just recovered from the balance problems now. Thought I'd be a day patient as I was there at 7.30am, got called up at 10am only to find out that they had the wrong person so came back down to wait for another recall to surgery - waited till 11.10am then I was recalled - the staff up there were ever so apologetic and had a little argument with the same nurse who brought me to surgery. Before I knew it I was gone in a fit of laughter! came round at 4.30pm - too groggy to go home the same day so kept me overnight. Found that my balance was shot and had to ask the nurses repeatedly through the night for assistance to walk from one end of the ward to the other end of the ward to the toilets! You should see the line I walked unaided - so much like a drunk - weaving here and there. Had my antibiotics combo late at night - 11pm and again at 7am. Became more lucid at 7am and had some breakfast. They sent me to x-ray before discharging me. They kept me waiting in x-ray after the x-ray was done cos the porter was none where to be found. The radiographer constantly bleeped the porter to turn up - turned up 45 mins later! gave the porter a piece of my mind and remonstrated that he should not drag me than push me on the porter chair across the place! (I come from a medical background so know what should happen in hospital, poor dad - he was furious, he's a MD for heavens sake!) :roll:

Congratulation! When you will go to appointment for activation?

The xray after surgery is to check placement, and that is usually done in the OR.

Whether or not the patient stays or not varies by implant center. For my daughter's first CI surgery in 2001, patients stayed over night. When she was reimplanted in 2007, they no longer stayed overnight unless there were complications.

I was scheduled to stay overnight the day before surgery , but as it was literally last minute , they made it appear to their pc's that I was already staying , and I went at 10pm to sleep..they woke me abt 7 to take some pills and by 9 I was in the OR...my surgery was five hours due to some bleeding.

I stayed a full week but I was activated four days later.the day after surgery I had to get a XRAY too..painful!

when I woke up around 4pm I was feeling cranky and sleepy , and bandage too tight.it was removed four days later! I was given antibiotics via an IV and lots of water , what made me literally thirsty and I had gone through six bottles a day , I always had a bottle in my hand!LOL! Sad that I didn't keep the habit..

After surgery I was so dizzy and throwing up , didn't eat , but by the next day I was fine , turbocharged , lol!

and overthepond , my ear too is numb still! it can't keep CI , it falls often and now I use the s houlder worn approach , and my ear is starting to get some feeling back....

also , the doctor sewed the ear a bit lower than from it was before , plus it's sticking out , so the difference is noticeable..but I don't care , as long as I can hear...it'd be nice tho if he was more careful!

Vivie,

If you are able to receive a second CI, make sure to ask for anti-nausea meds prior to surgery. This is what I did for both of my surgeries and I had no problem whatsoever with vomiting, etc.

Vivie,

If you are able to receive a second CI, make sure to ask for anti-nausea meds prior to surgery. This is what I did for both of my surgeries and I had no problem whatsoever with vomiting, etc.

I have prescription RX for Anti-Nausea, prevent bacteria and painkiller medicine ready with me.

I am little anxious with loss the balance after surgery. I don't want to fall down when i get up and walk. When i need to go bathroom. Do I need use a walker?

I was start to 12 yrs old. I was go to the hospital before surgeon done i think so 6 hours... approximately 3 or 4 days go home I was cochlear implant.

I am little anxious with loss the balance after surgery. I don't want to fall down when i get up and walk. When i need to go bathroom. Do I need use a walker?

You shouldn't need to use a walker, but I did only because of my blindness. (I borrowed my mother's walker.)

After your surgery, I would make sure to walk slowly and grab onto any furniture that can give you support.

I have prescription RX for Anti-Nausea, prevent bacteria and painkiller medicine ready with me.

Be sure to ask for anti-nausea meds to be placed in your IV before surgery. That way you won't have to worry about waking up in recovery feeling ill.

Sure I will ask for anti-nausea med before surgery. The ent clinican will email me and info about surgery. I can't eat or drink after midnight. Thank you for suggest me. I am glad to know and not be ill. :)

How about after surgery do you eat with food?

Be sure to ask for anti-nausea meds to be placed in your IV before surgery. That way you won't have to worry about waking up in recovery feeling ill.

You shouldn't need to use a walker, but I did only because of my blindness. (I borrowed my mother's walker.)

After your surgery, I would make sure to walk slowly and grab onto any furniture that can give you support.

Pinky,

I was able to eat small meals on the same day of my surgery. I ate soft foods like macaroni and cheese, pudding, mashed potatoes and pancakes.

It's sound good. I will figure it out what i will able to eat meal from dietitian ask for my meal choice available.

I am feeling it's flying so fast!

Vivie,

Hear Again , if I had the ability to go bilateral , I'd go through the same if that just meant going stereo...but , alas , no bilateral covering in Greece...:roll: *sigh*

and I wasn't dizzy , I just vomited twice , and that's coz I have sensitive stomach mostly...

When I got back to my room at about 1pm, for few hours i drifted in and out of concious, my mum/nan went home at about 2, i was asleep until Uncle/nurse came and woke me up at about 5pm, the nurse asked me if i am hungry, they gave me sandwiches (tuna/mayo/cucumber) which i already ordered before my operation (they keep your lunches for after op). Then at 6pm they gave me soup for supper (they would have given me full meal but as i already had sandwiches i wasn't too hungry for full meal so they gave me filling "homemade" type soup instead) I thought this was enough.

After my second CI surgery my first meal in the hospital was mac and cheese. I scarfed it down and it was actually delicious. I wanted so much to ask for seconds, but didn't know if I could. I was still hungry, but went without until breakfast the next morning when I had pancakes.

Back