Advice please: son doesn't want to wear HAs

What is the Deaf perspective again? I'm curious to hear GrendelQ's definition of it. I'd like to be clear before commenting any further.

You want to know further definitions of the Deaf perspective I said I encounter everyday? I'm not sure which part you want clarified. Are you asking who are the Deaf people we encounter daily? Or what I mean by describing them as "empowered and positive and thoughtful"?

When a person says that they are happy when I can understand them while my back is turned, I get the message. If a person has to wait for me to turn around, it's inconvenient for them. Cf. modulate your voice.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Fairjour..u can't deny that Rick has been nasty to many of us and you defend him? Yea...of course. Lol

someone asked why his child might not like what is being said on AD. I answered. I did not defend him.

With my ear infection going on right now, I'm actually flooded with memories of Mom forcing me to wear both hearing aids ( before I stopped wearing one in the left ear) even with ear infections. That hurt. And that's child abuse.

I understand but aren't you projecting your own experiences onto someone? I know some CI kids have far more "hearing" capability than I would ever have. During my research upon getting a CI, a teenager boy came over and I asked him if I could test his "hearing". I didn't want others to test because they probably repeat the same thing. So I said (as my cat was walking in front of him) "How many legs does the animal in front of you have?" He immediately answered 4. He can understand not only a strangers voice but also one with a deaf accent.

Now, I have no idea if he'd do well with noisy environments. I doubt it because HOH don't even do well. Hell, my hearing friends always say HUH?!? to each other when there is loud music nearby.

Regardless, I wouldn't go so far to tell the parent "your child is going to end up just like me, not knowing jack squat what's going on around him, struggling to fit in." I personally would share my experience, and give advice such as telling the child "if you don't know what's going on, speak up. Talk to the teacher or me." or "give him some social time with other deaf kids." or something.

That is not what I mean. I'm saying it is problematic because many deaf kids do not hear well enough. I used myself as an example. I'm also not talking about the parents who actually care enough about their deaf child to explain to them that if they do not hear something properly to say something.

How often do we see, here, parents who think hearing aides are some kind of magical cure? Those are the parents that I'm referring to. The ones that think that their child hears 'well enough' but the reality is that the child probably does not and isn't likely to say something because they can see that their parents want them to hear *SO* bad.

We don't actually see that. They live with those kids in real life.

No one is addressing the merits of my points. It just turns into personal insults. Like I'm the ungrateful daughter that insults her parents. Why should I bother? If you were truly interested you'd actually do some reading. Basic child development and sociology here.
If you read back you will see your and my posts are not about what you are. I'll put the quote below:
The message that Rick sends his daughter is loud and clear. His daughter must be convenient for him. She must fit his expectations. It's all about the father and accomodating him.

Kids that get this message tend to suffer from low self esteem and relationship problems. Kids also gauge their importance based on the amount of effort adults will put out on their behalf. A real priority is what a person will allocate resources on. If no effort is expended, it's not a priority.

I feel sorry for kids that grow up in this kind of atmosphere. They may achieve more but it is at the expense of their mental health.

It's how YOU insult the father of a deaf girl with CI, and the girl as well.... based on YOUR bad experiences as "NOT" a deaf daughter...
Cloggy, I was not anyone's deaf daughter. I lost my hearing later in life....

Ever try sign language?

Do you sign at all with your son? Maybe if you used sign language he might also decide to cooperate with the hearing aids

Uncomfortable ?

I am a lot older and I feel the same way about my hearing aids.

On a more serious note, they may be uncomfortable. There is nothing more effective than blocking an ear to make it warm and humid with no air circulation. Perfect conditions for fungus and probably bacteria too.

It is beyond me why earpieces are designed in such a way as to moreorless guarantee this kind of problem.

Lotions and potions never seem to work well for very long, so the obvious answer is an earpiece which allows more airflow. It would be interesting to see how the audiogist responds.

I am a lot older and I feel the same way about my hearing aids.

On a more serious note, they may be uncomfortable. There is nothing more effective than blocking an ear to make it warm and humid with no air circulation. Perfect conditions for fungus and probably bacteria too.

It is beyond me why earpieces are designed in such a way as to moreorless guarantee this kind of problem.

Lotions and potions never seem to work well for very long, so the obvious answer is an earpiece which allows more airflow. It would be interesting to see how the audiogist responds.

I'm not an audiologist, but, the reason the ear molds are air tight is to prevent feedback with the mic on the hearing aid. Want more air flow? Find a way to stop sound from traveling through air. Pretty challenging, huh?

I wouldnt be surprised if newborn infants start getting CIs the minute they enter the world.

EEEwwwww! They are asking for lawsuits if they do that when the parents find out that their baby couldn't hear due to something benign that can be wait out. I have read that a mother was upset when her boy was implanted on the wrong ear (his good ear that he can hear).

Back