Advice please: son doesn't want to wear HAs

You work at a Deaf school, right? What is the approximate enrollment at the school? How many transfers do you get each year?

I wont share where I work at. I work at a deaf program that uses both ASL and English.

I wont share where I work at. I work at a deaf program that uses both ASL and English.

Oh, of course not! But can you guess at numbers? I want to figure out if Deafdyke is correct and there are a lot of kids being transferred to Deaf schools after they fail in the mainstream.

Oh, of course not! But can you guess at numbers? I want to figure out if Deafdyke is correct and there are a lot of kids being transferred to Deaf schools after they fail in the mainstream.

Each year varies but it is enough that the problem is still going on.

I was mainstreamed and I didnt get transferred but I had so many problems that left long lasting consequences so there could be many out there who havent transferred but are suffering.

That's why in this kind of thing stastistics mean squat. Too many variables to consider.

In some areas, yes, in others not really.

You're right, while browsing through the comments, the last one mentioned that parents prefer to push for more funding at public schools as an option over relocating or sending their child to a residential school - both of which would bear greater expenses - mainstreaming tends to be the preferred option, preferably with services tailored for the deaf - hence the push for more funding for support services at mainstream schools. All the comments were interesting actually as people chipped in with what information they had about the deaf schools/programs they knew of.

I also found this link which explained different educational options for deaf kids. It gives one greater understanding behind some of the statistics. Granted, the article is a bit old but the educational approaches still bear relevance today.

Deaf Linx: Resources and guides for the Deaf community

This last sentence caught me a bit off guard though - inability to understand teacher and peers is a positive?

"There are positive aspects to Mainstreaming and Inclusion. A child that is in these types of environments has the opportunity to meet and interact with hearing peers. They are also exposed to a regular curriculum. These children often learn how to be self-starters. They develop excellent study habits that serve them well as adults, often as a direct result of the inability to understand the teacher and the other students. "

But you still haven't told us where you get the idea that there are "tons" of mainstream kids transferring to Deaf schools. If that was the case, wouldn't our Deaf schools have growing populations, instead of dwindling and closing?

And you still haven't explained about Clarke.

Sigh. I never said tons. I said that there ARE ORAL mainstream transfers....meaning the ones who would have gone to Clarke/CID/St. Joseph's in the old days, if they have trouble, they now end up at their State Deaf School or dhh programs. And the reason why enrollment at Deaf Schools is dwindling, has to do with a lot of reasons.......not any one reason. As a matter of fact, I actually know that a lot of parents are UNAWARE of the Deaf school option!

Luck? You don't think it had anything to do with devoted parents, early intervention, and the technology that allowed her access to sound at a very young age?

By luck, I mean that everything worked out well. I had devoted parents, I had early intervention, I had access to sound at a very young age. Many other dhh as kids I know ALSO had those "advantages" I had a CRAPPY ass experiance in the mainstream. I was basicly blamed for not acheiving. The mainstream school acted like providing anything beyond the traditional dhh triad was akin to asking for my own personal teacher.
Seriously fighting a mainstream school for decent accomondations is one of the HARDEST things in the WORLD. Rick's daughter suceeded VERY well with minimal accomondations, being first generation oral CI!

You're right, while browsing through the comments, the last one mentioned that parents prefer to push for more funding at public schools as an option over relocating or sending their child to a residential school - both of which would bear greater expenses - mainstreaming tends to be the preferred option, preferably with services tailored for the deaf - hence the push for more funding for support services at mainstream schools. All the comments were interesting actually as people chipped in with what information they had about the deaf schools/programs they knew of.

I also found this link which explained different educational options for deaf kids. It gives one greater understanding behind some of the statistics. Granted, the article is a bit old but the educational approaches still bear relevance today.

Deaf Linx: Resources and guides for the Deaf community

This last sentence caught me a bit off guard though - inability to understand teacher and peers is a positive?

"There are positive aspects to Mainstreaming and Inclusion. A child that is in these types of environments has the opportunity to meet and interact with hearing peers. They are also exposed to a regular curriculum. These children often learn how to be self-starters. They develop excellent study habits that serve them well as adults, often as a direct result of the inability to understand the teacher and the other students. "

The things people think of...

I know! I especially love the bit about picking up good study habits as a result of not being able to understand understand teachers and students.

Just what I and others have been saying about deaf kids being mainstreamed all along. The parents need to stop denying that this goes on.

that's terrible....twisting something negative into something supposedly positive that way <the lines about study habits and results> to further promote an agenda about mainstreaming.

They develop excellent study habits that serve them well as adults, often as a direct result of the inability to understand the teacher and the other students. "

Nothing like being isolated and not knowing the class curriculum or assignments to further one's educational advancement. Kind of like saying smoking a lot of cigarettes prevents Alzheimer's. Biased spin, 3 for a dollar!

Back