Adult stem cell is happening right now to cure hearing loss!

?????????????????

The pathways in the brain that would be devoted to audition, when a baby can hear, are slowly changed to vision, when they can't. Deaf babies become visual. That can't be undone in adulthood.

?????????????????

She is basically saying that if you could not hear as an infant (or not even implanted as an infant)... you will never be in the same level as hearing people even if you can hear. That your brain is wired for good. Which why she think infant implant do better than people who were implanted late.

Live it up a little sometime. The thread will get back on track.

The silliness of claiming that stem cells will be widely available to cure deafness in the immediate future deserves silly responses.

The pathways in the brain that would be devoted to audition, when a baby can hear, are slowly changed to vision, when they can't. Deaf babies become visual. That can't be undone in adulthood.

You might want to check into some accurrate information regarding plasticity in the brain from a lifespan perspective.

faire_jour wrote:

The brain will develop new auditory pathways and adapt. In fact there was a study posted by C-NICE on the Hearing Aids/Cochlear Implants board that discusses exactly this in relation to Cochlear Implants. The brain's ability to adapt and interpret signals delivered by any device (whether mechanical or natural) is amazing and pretty much negates your argument right there. Chloe wouldn't be able to hear right now if that wasn't possible - auditory memory goes away after 6 months of total deafness on average. I woudn't give up on human brain physiology just yet.

Cochlear Implants' Performance Not Affected By Amount Of Hearing Loss In The Implanted Ear

That is very true. If my brain didn't have the ability to adapt, I would not understand all those electronic statical sounds I was hearing when I first got implanted. It later became more clearer as I adapted (without the mapping).

The brain will develop new auditory pathways and adapt. In fact there was a study posted by C-NICE on the Hearing Aids/Cochlear Implants board that discusses exactly this in relation to Cochlear Implants. The brain's ability to adapt and interpret signals delivered by any device (whether mechanical or natural) is amazing and pretty much negates your argument right there. Chloe wouldn't be able to hear right now if that wasn't possible - auditory memory goes away after 6 months of total deafness on average. I woudn't give up on human brain physiology just yet.

Cochlear Implants' Performance Not Affected By Amount Of Hearing Loss In The Implanted Ear

Funny that FJ thinks the brain will do fine with CI but not with stem cells. My brain was able to adapt and interpret signals when I got new HAs in 1998 and 2008. I was hearing sounds I never heard before in my life. It's no different with CI or stem cells.

http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat/72373-adult-stem-cell-happening-right-now-cure-hearing-loss-3.html#post1468325

Phi and FJ, see my replies to you in the above post.

He's wrong about the 10+ year timeframe unless he's talking about being able to get it in America. Several stem cell labs can treat you now(as they did with Chloe) in other countries.

Funny that FJ thinks the brain will do fine with CI but not with stem cells. My brain was able to adapt and interpret signals when I got new HAs in 1998. I was hearing sounds I never heard before in my life. It's no different with CI or stem cells.

http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat/72373-adult-stem-cell-happening-right-now-cure-hearing-loss-3.html#post1468325

Phi and FJ, see my replies to you in the above post.

He's wrong about the 10+ year timeframe unless he's talking about being able to get it in America. Several stem cell labs can treat you now(as they did with Chloe) in other countries.

I never said you would do great with a CI, I said you would be dumbfounded by the difference, all the sounds you are missing out on.

But she heard before. Her brain is readapting, not starting from scratch.

That is very true. If my brain didn't have the ability to adapt, I would not understand all those electronic statical sounds I was hearing when I first got implanted. It later became more clearer as I adapted (without the mapping).

But haven't you said you only hear a little better than you did with hearing aids, whereas people who were hearing adults, and then suddenly lose their hearing, say the CI sounds exactly like their normal hearing did (by about 6 months post). What is the difference? Their brains heard before.

I never said you would do great with a CI, I said you would be dumbfounded by the difference, all the sounds you are missing out on.

Please see my long reply to you here: http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat...ight-now-cure-hearing-loss-3.html#post1468325

But she heard before. Her brain is readapting, not starting from scratch.

So did I with powerful HAs. I also am not starting from scratch, my brain just will readapt to additional sounds as it has before everytime I got new HAs.

Please see my long reply to you here: http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat...ight-now-cure-hearing-loss-3.html#post1468325

So did I with powerful HAs. I also am not starting from scratch, my brain just will readapt to additional sounds as it has before everytime I got new HAs.

You really don't get it, do you? The difference between hearing and profoundly deaf...

You have never had normal hearing,ever. Even with the most powerful hearing aids. You need to understand that.

But haven't you said you only hear a little better than you did with hearing aids, whereas people who were hearing adults, and then suddenly lose their hearing, say the CI sounds exactly like their normal hearing did (by about 6 months post). What is the difference? Their brains heard before.

Their speech thru a CI is comparable to HAs for someone with a severe hearing loss. I have proven this before in other threads, feel free to agree or disagree(if so, back it up)

Their speech thru a CI is comparable to HAs for someone with a severe hearing loss. I have proven this before in other threads, feel free to agree or disagree(if so, back it up)

Have you ever spoken to a hearing person who lost their hearinng suddenly, and then got a CI? You are crazy to think that they get the same benefit as a prelingually deafened adult with a severe loss and hearing aids.

i think people are just happy to get sounds back, and more likely substitute the sounds they hear with their CI with the sounds they remember. But it probably isn't the exact sounds that sounded like their natural hearing. It's like this: My son was looking for a beige color crayon to draw a picture of himself. But he couldn't find the exact color that matches his skin color. So he used the next best color instead. He choose apricot colored crayon for skin color and it still look like skin.

Back