Activate

Pinky

Reaction score
I am ready for hook it on my ear tomorrow!!! I am so excited to see what is my device with box alike.

Can you tell me about your experience with Activate what is your first sound like music and noise and tv?? :D

LOL! Yep, it will be that.

Just remember everybody is different!

For me, a couple of things stand out.

Trucks and buses were just plain loud to the point it took me about six months to get used to them.

Speech was the easy part for me. Took me about a day to get that down. Heck, I could use the phone after a day or so. Listening to the TV wasn't too bad even though I did have to get used to the "fast and furious" conversations they sometimes have. Radio was quite good especially talk show. Music was pretty good after a couple of days. I say it took about a week or two to get used to the difference of a CI over a HA.

On the other hand, it took me several days to get the environmental sounds down. That is because things sound differently, one has to classify what one hears. It can take a while. I think it took about four days to get the most common sounds down.

The water faucet! I couldn't believe how high it sounded.

The public toilets flushing so loud that I cringed.

Hearing around "corners" and behind me like when my kid said "shucks" when he didn't get his way on something.

Good luck, Pinky!! Let us know how it turns out! :) You can always post on FB too :)

:ty: Alleycat, I will let you know and I will try do my best to post on my status at facebook. Because I haven't talk or tell my deaf friends about my plan. I don't want they to reject or freak out and make a drama. I have to explain them why is my option for CI. If it's not respect my decide or choice then they are not my true friends. Deal with it. My husband and other family members and close friends are on my side. :)

Good luck, Pinky!! Let us know how it turns out! :) You can always post on FB too :)

Thank you for sharing with your experience.

I read people with CI journey on blogs. The most common annoy the sound is faucet and toilet flush and video game with gunshot and other loud noise.

I am looking forward to listen my dad's singing on his tape. And also my home video when I was baby until kid.

I tried to ask my husband what kind of music do I should listen? He won't tell me. He want to surprise for me. :lol: I told him to start basic instead of Heavy Metal, and complex music which I can't understand it's too much noise. That what my audiologist told me.

I will see what is going on tomorrow. Wish for me good luck! :)

LOL! Yep, it will be that.

Just remember everybody is different!

For me, a couple of things stand out.

Trucks and buses were just plain loud to the point it took me about six months to get used to them.

Speech was the easy part for me. Took me about a day to get that down. Heck, I could use the phone after a day or so. Listening to the TV wasn't too bad even though I did have to get used to the "fast and furious" conversations they sometimes have. Radio was quite good especially talk show. Music was pretty good after a couple of days. I say it took about a week or two to get used to the difference of a CI over a HA.

On the other hand, it took me several days to get the environmental sounds down. That is because things sound differently, one has to classify what one hears. It can take a while. I think it took about four days to get the most common sounds down.

The water faucet! I couldn't believe how high it sounded.

The public toilets flushing so loud that I cringed.

Hearing around "corners" and behind me like when my kid said "shucks" when he didn't get his way on something.

It's not brace. The correct spell is Brave! Of course, I am very brave person. :D
Brace yourself for a shock of your life. :cool2:

For me it was pinging sounds and I was very sensitive to high pitched sounds. Over time it got better.

Good luck!

Good luck tomorrow Pinky. I can't wait to hear your report of what it is like. :)

It's not brace. The correct spell is Brave! Of course, I am very brave person. :D

Er...J Clarke had the word and expression right. He meant as in "brace" yourself for a wild ride. Brace here means "prepare" yourself.

Er...J Clarke had the word and expression right. He meant as in "brace" yourself for a wild ride. Brace here means "prepare" yourself.

Ok. Thank you for clarify. I thought it's brave. Oops!

He's right and that is what I was referring to -- brace for yourself, you might fall over from the chair when you hear your first sound! :laugh2:

Nice, Pink-y! Post back here because everyone's going to be waiting with bated breath for your follow up report!

Good luck Pinky! :thumb:

It's quite an experience that each CI user goes through, me 3 weeks on - still on the exciting ride!

Let us know if they've switched a couple on or all on.

Look forward to hearing your progress.

So excited for you Pinky, I am really looking forward to hearing all about it (pardon the pun).

Take it slowly, be honest, if it's too much tell them, ok.

When I got activated the speech got so much clear but for female voice I hear really high pitch squeal after every word for example "can-ee you-ee hear-ee me-ee?" haha it went away after 2 months I think.
It will sound VERY weird for you, probably will sound like beep to you for little bit because they will start you on very basic program then after some mapping appointment they will change program to more complex one so sound more clearly and normal.
Just be very patient and stay strong keep wearing it all day it will sound much better and sound will stop feeling so loud and overwhelming
Oh also I gonna warn you, when they turn it on for first time you might will hear LOUD buzz for 1 min then it become sound and it will keep buzzing for first 1 min after you turn it on in morning for about 1 month.

For me what annoyed me was the clock!!! it didn't go down until almost a year later..I still hear it..but I learned to tune it out..LOL!

also what I really hate is motorbikes..I don't know if I'll ride my motorbike this summer! :P

oh , and good luck with your activation!

Congrats and good luck!!!
Pinky!

Let us know, what the first sound you hear. :)

Back