A Thread About Absolutely Nothing! Part III

MCMXXXIX = 1939

The View-Master system was introduced in 1939 per Wiki

The reel could have been copyrighted then but we would not have gotten one quite that early as I was born in 1942.

10302022_10153159782606191_1210824985566172339_n.jpg

Working before I even go to work :)

I do that EVERY morning! Work on my Power Point and interactive activities before I go to work. Crazy! I miss having a job where I do work while on the job. It seems like more and more jobs require people to bring home work.

I do that EVERY morning! Work on my Power Point and interactive activities before I go to work. Crazy! I miss having a job where I do work while on the job. It seems like more and more jobs require people to bring home work.

I am not required to work from home, but I often feel "obligated" to. Otherwise I just can't get it all done at work. Not only that, staff here really doesn't think twice about texting me in the evening or a weekend and say, "oh! can you do this!" especially if it's website work, because I'm the only one here who can do that stuff. (I work for a small organization with a staff of about 12 so I'm the only one website-knowledgable.) I'm such a push-over. LOL.

I am not required to work from home, but I often feel "obligated" to. Otherwise I just can't get it all done at work. Not only that, staff here really doesn't think twice about texting me in the evening or a weekend and say, "oh! can you do this!" especially if it's website work, because I'm the only one here who can do that stuff. (I work for a small organization with a staff of about 12 so I'm the only one website-knowledgable.) I'm such a push-over. LOL.

How do you think they would react if you said yes but it will be tomorrow or Monday (if on the weekend) this is not business hours (or words to that effect)? Just someway of gently reminding them that they are asking during what is intended to be your off time.

How do you think they would react if you said yes but it will be tomorrow or Monday (if on the weekend) this is not business hours (or words to that effect)? Just someway of gently reminding them that they are asking during what is intended to be your off time.

So far they have been very polite about it, asking first "if I have the time". So far, I've always said yes. (I'm not on salary, I'm hourly, so any time I spend doing this outside of work, I get paid extra for. Makes it hard to say no. LOL) There have been times where I am going away for the weekend and I will gently remind a few people that I'm unavailable that weekend for anything. So, so far it hasn't been an issue.

Sadly with some IT department and even other business related organizations that is more and more the 'norm' to get called or called in at night or on weekend and asked "can you.....?". One job I had we were told at one meeting that "if we were screaming for help, we needed to prove that we do. When some of you were hired you were asked/told it would be a 45 hour work week. You agreed to this." That was the higher ups' logic in why they wouldn't hire more people. Yes 45 hours. That isn't bad at all compared to other jobs where they put in 80-120 hours per week (billable or not. Many of us in most of my IT jobs worked more than 45 quite often.. because... well mostly because they need the money. Thank god for Overtime pay is all I can say.

People say that teachers have it good with summers off but they forget that we bring home work all the time and probably put in 50 to 70 hours a week with several hours on our own time. It is impossible to get everything done on hour working hours alone. Too much paperwork.

People say that teachers have it good with summers off but they forget that we bring home work all the time and probably put in 50 to 70 hours a week with several hours on our own time. It is impossible to get everything done on hour working hours alone. Too much paperwork.

But don't forget Christmas break, Easter break, President's Day and/or Lincoln's Birthday depending on location, Casimir Pulaski Day in Illinois (but they can now get a waiver https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-new...aski-day/f7885e2e-7df6-47f0-bdda-610b445c11af, other "Days" depending on location, and the two to three months in the summer. These are all times that most people do not have off in other jobs/professions. I have known a people that could have gotten a degree of the type that would let them teach or something else and having almost the same schedule as their kids except for a few "Teacher's Institutes" was a factor.

I FEEL you. all I can say is that you rock! I could not do that, due to having lack of patience. I still feel that teachers should get nice salary more than what they have now.

But don't forget Christmas break, Easter break, President's Day and/or Lincoln's Birthday depending on location, Casimir Pulaski Day in Illinois (but they can now get a waiver https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-new...aski-day/f7885e2e-7df6-47f0-bdda-610b445c11af, other "Days" depending on location, and the two to three months in the summer. These are all times that most people do not have off in other jobs/professions. I have known a people that could have gotten a degree of the type that would let them teach or something else and having almost the same schedule as their kids except for a few "Teacher's Institutes" was a factor.

I still bring home work on those times off. Also, dont forget summer workshops and classes we have to take to keep up with our certifications. We have to PAY for the classes so we wont lose our jobs. That sucks

Me, too, same era, probably Christmas 1953. Mine is dark brown. I had (still have) mostly Disney cartoon, Disneyland, and travel slides.
Me and my mom the Christmas day I got my Viewmaster. Second picture is my Viewmaster now. (I also got the hat and robe for Christmas and refused to take them off the rest of the day, ha, ha.)

viewmaster.jpg viewmaster1.jpg

My surviving View-Master slides:

Disneyland, Main Street

Snow White

Lady and the Tramp

Pinocchio

Bambi

Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig

Chip and Dale

Donald Duck

Uncle Scrooge

Daffy Duck

Cypress Gardens

Niagara Falls

Desert Scenes

Painted Desert

Petrified Forest

I still bring home work on those times off. Also, dont forget summer workshops and classes we have to take to keep up with our certifications. We have to PAY for the classes so we wont lose our jobs. That sucks
Me too. I work for a church, so there is no such thing as Christmas break, Easter break, even MEA breaks because the school kids come and do things at the church during those times, same as their summers off. For you and I, and others, many of these holidays are NOT time off.

Me too. I work for a church, so there is no such thing as Christmas break, Easter break, even MEA breaks because the school kids come and do things at the church during those times, same as their summers off. For you and I, and others, many of these holidays are NOT time off.

Yes just like UPS, they don't observe many holidays either.

Last edited:
I think most school professionals fall in the same boat. I know my friend who is a school psychologist doesn't get the entire summer off. She still has to do workshops or summer camps with the kids among other things. Not sure on holidays- seems she does get those off and goes to visit family but I know she has had to do some work on her off times due to emergencies with the kids at times.

My degree is in education, so was my incomplete Master's. It was during grad school I realized I would never do well with education or being a teachers. I like kids and like being around them but I'm not a great teacher. I have the upmost admiration for them and think they should get a whole lot more than they do now. just switch pro athletes salaries and teacher salaries. We might have more (and better?) teachers if they made 4 million over 10 years...

I think most school professionals fall in the same boat. I know my friend who is a school psychologist doesn't get the entire summer off. She still has to do workshops or summer camps with the kids among other things. Not sure on holidays- seems she does get those off and goes to visit family but I know she has had to do some work on her off times due to emergencies with the kids at times.

My degree is in education, so was my incomplete Master's. It was during grad school I realized I would never do well with education or being a teachers. I like kids and like being around them but I'm not a great teacher. I have the upmost admiration for them and think they should get a whole lot more than they do now. just switch pro athletes salaries and teacher salaries. We might have more (and better?) teachers if they made 4 million over 10 years...

I am good as a teacher but I dont really enjoy it like some people do. I DO enjoy planning and creating materials for my lessons and working one on one with students though. I hate classroom management and dealing with disruptive behaviors. I just dont like being a classroom teacher. I would rather be an one on one teacher but unfortunately there are not a lot of teaching jobs doing that. Most of them are in the classroom.

Back