A Gun Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

I may be a minority... But I believe even citizen with no vision should be permitted to carry if they have proven themselves to be responsible citizens... Gun ownership is a right to all not just some... One argument used for owning a gun is self protection... Why would a blind person needs be less?

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using AllDeaf App mobile app

We discussed about possibility to use guns with deafblind groups and they questioned about how possibility to use gun if you are total blindness, combined with total deafness so I said it is possible with supervision, especially SSP to give tactile feedback, especially in hunting and shooting range.

Most deafblind people grew up in city or urbanized suburb that where they don't believe that guns are best solution or they believe it is risky move (dangerous). The urban has lowest gun ownership, that's true for developed, first world, but in US, some urban are third world that where they may have high gun ownership due to high crime, even guns are very common in Latin America. Some neighborhoods in DC and PGC are third world.

My deafblind friend gave me a trick about deter from victim of crime, is use blind cane all time when walking alone without group so it is high chance that you will be not victim, but that's work well for DC metro. I don't know about other cities. In my experience, people in DC are much friendlier to DB than in the South like Alabama.

Where can I find a NRA instructor for a basic shooting/new orientation course for the deaf? I need someone who knows ASL that is a certified instructor. My wife wants to learn, and I told her that although I can teach her everything she needs to know, I would rather someone who is certified teach her. She will take the course more seriously, I think, if an instructor is teaching her. We have gone shooting in the past, she knows how to shoot - she just wants additional training for if she is ever in a situation where she needs to defend herself from an attacker.

I also have a friend whom has CP and is deaf, and he wants to learn how to shoot guns too. So the NRA instructor would not only have to know ASL, but would have to be familiar with deaf persons with multiple disabilities.

He can hold a gun the correct way and he can aim. I just think, to start with, he needs something with low recoil.

As for me, the local SWAT team is providing free anti-terrorism training for civilians. I absolutely want that training. It does not involve the "run and hide" training either - it basically teaches you how to absolutely ruin a potential terrorists day by deploying career ending force.

Where can I find a NRA instructor for a basic shooting/new orientation course for the deaf?
Contact the NRA?

I need someone who knows ASL that is a certified instructor.
You can't use an interpreter?

My wife wants to learn, and I told her that although I can teach her everything she needs to know, I would rather someone who is certified teach her. She will take the course more seriously, I think, if an instructor is teaching her. We have gone shooting in the past, she knows how to shoot - she just wants additional training for if she is ever in a situation where she needs to defend herself from an attacker.
Good idea. That's what I want to do, too. We're trying to schedule it this month.

I also have a friend whom has CP and is deaf, and he wants to learn how to shoot guns too. So the NRA instructor would not only have to know ASL, but would have to be familiar with deaf persons with multiple disabilities.
That's why I think it might be better to use a terp, and make arrangements for the terp to meet ahead of time with the NRA instructor. The terp could explain and demonstrate the interpreting process, make the instructor comfortable with interpreting, and plan the logistics for the training session.

That would also free up the NRA instructor to focus on what he/she would normally do during training.

You want the best instructor and the best interpreter.

If there is an ASL-qualified NRA instructor available, that would be great, especially if you can gather enough deaf participants to fill a class. The instructor might have to travel to your location, or you might have to travel to the instructor's location, which would be extra expense.

Just keep your options open.

He can hold a gun the correct way and he can aim. I just think, to start with, he needs something with low recoil.

As for me, the local SWAT team is providing free anti-terrorism training for civilians. I absolutely want that training. It does not involve the "run and hide" training either - it basically teaches you how to absolutely ruin a potential terrorists day by deploying career ending force.
Free? That's amazing. What facility do they use for the training? Are there pre-requisites?

I don't think I need anti-terrorism SWAT training but TCS and I are seriously considering this:

Academi Pistol Carbine Overview

Contact the NRA?

You can't use an interpreter?

Good idea. That's what I want to do, too. We're trying to schedule it this month.

That's why I think it might be better to use a terp, and make arrangements for the terp to meet ahead of time with the NRA instructor. The terp could explain and demonstrate the interpreting process, make the instructor comfortable with interpreting, and plan the logistics for the training session.

That would also free up the NRA instructor to focus on what he/she would normally do during training.

You want the best instructor and the best interpreter.

If there is an ASL-qualified NRA instructor available, that would be great, especially if you can gather enough deaf participants to fill a class. The instructor might have to travel to your location, or you might have to travel to the instructor's location, which would be extra expense.

Just keep your options open.

Free? That's amazing. What facility do they use for the training? Are there pre-requisites?

I don't think I need anti-terrorism SWAT training but TCS and I are seriously considering this:

Academi Pistol Carbine Overview

The training is offered free but the one a county over filled up fast. I think they are using a facility that belongs to the Sheriff's Office for their training. Will do a little more digging.

giphy.gif

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...234240-cb59-11e5-88ff-e2d1b4289c2f_story.html

A federal appeals court on Thursday cast doubt on the legality of Maryland’s 2013 ban on semiautomatic high-capacity assault weapons that passed after the mass shootings at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school.

The 2-to-1 decision by a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit sends the gun-control law back to a lower court for review, but allows the existing ban to remain in place.

Chief Judge William B. Traxler Jr., writing for the majority, found that the Maryland law “significantly burdens the exercise of the right to arm oneself at home” and should have been analyzed using a more stringent legal standard.

I may be a minority... But I believe even citizen with no vision should be permitted to carry if they have proven themselves to be responsible citizens... Gun ownership is a right to all not just some... One argument used for owning a gun is self protection... Why would a blind person needs be less?

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using AllDeaf App mobile app

They should be allowed. It doesn't take rocket science to use one. What do we say to our veterans that lose their sight? Sorry folks, you've got to turn over your guns, you obviously can't see what's in front of you? You can hear a threat right in front and you're entitled to defend yourself.

Laura

They should be allowed. It doesn't take rocket science to use one. What do we say to our veterans that lose their sight? Sorry folks, you've got to turn over your guns, you obviously can't see what's in front of you? You can hear a threat right in front and you're entitled to defend yourself.

Laura

Do you think guns should be out of reach for anyone with mentally ill?

I'm just wonder because someone said mental illness is part of disability and shouldn't left out.

Do you think guns should be out of reach for anyone with mentally ill?

I'm just wonder because someone said mental illness is part of disability and shouldn't left out.

not just any "mentally ill"... only those who have trouble discerning the difference between reality and fiction... right and wrong... or have suicidal/homicidal thought...

went shooting couple days ago -

12800171_10106080564407069_1401956353122494993_n.jpg

12805931_10106080604461799_7802664195125128849_n.jpg

Back