50 Years In Prison For Stealing Rack Of Ribs

What do you suggest? 1 year of prison? What happens if he gets out and does it again? Send him to prison for another year? Then he gets out and does it again, send him to prison for another year and so on...

Honestly, screw him and let him die in prison. Nobody but you cares.

Well. Since you asked for my opinion, here it is.
first is prison should only be used for violent crimes.
If the crime is non violent then soceity needs to.think of another way to adress them. essentialy packing.prisons with non.violent.criminals (which are the majority of prisoners in the u.s.) the enviorment itself.creates violence. Those unwilling or incabable of violence learn quickly and adapt. Or dont last long. The You get realesed, you went in a non violent offender. You come out as someone who knows viokwnce very well. this is counterproductive for society. We need to.be addressing violent criminals, not churning our once non violent offenders as vioent ones.
Life for non violent crimes is a travasty of justice, its not cheap and frankly soceity would be bettwr served if that money went to schoola, roads, hospitals, so on,
Theift should be strict community service, work peogrames so on.
I dont hsve all the awsners but itthe current system is NOT working.
We.can.do better.

And therein lies the issue... too many thinking it's not their problem.... how simple that would be...

Well, if you were the Judge...and this man had come before you many times...what would you suggest being done?...Habitual and repetitive offender. Community Service?...and if he completes it (many don't), and does another crime?....Again Community Service?....it goes 'round and 'round....Some people are not going to respect the Laws....and if it were YOUR business they were stealing from, causing you to lose $$...and the Judge just gave them a slap on the hand....feel sure you'd be disgusted!

Well, if you were the Judge...and this man had come before you many times...what would you suggest being done?...Habitual and repetitive offender. Community Service?...and if he completes it (many don't), and does another crime?....Again Community Service?....it goes 'round and 'round....Some people are not going to respect the Laws....and if it were YOUR business they were stealing from, causing you to lose $$...and the Judge just gave them a slap on the hand....feel sure you'd be disgusted!

There is an interesting thing about the legal system... there are many options available....yet seems the only one used is throwing more and more people in jail... this system does not work....the response has been the throw even more people into jail...how does this make sense?
Rapist, murders, sure...people who need to be segregated from society as a whole... but a dude that stole a rack of ribs? No.... put him to work at a butcher shop until he pays the cost of the ribs and the court fees...
I believe in justice.... vengeance.... which seems to be what people want... sad really..

There is an interesting thing about the legal system... there are many options available....yet seems the only one used is throwing more and more people in jail... this system does not work....the response has been the throw even more people into jail...how does this make sense?
Rapist, murders, sure...people who need to be segregated from society as a whole... but a dude that stole a rack of ribs? No.... put him to work at a butcher shop until he pays the cost of the ribs and the court fees...
I believe in justice.... vengeance.... which seems to be what people want... sad really..

This dude not only stole a pack of ribs....his rap sheet is a mile long...and to note...he claimed he had a "knife" under his shirt when asked what was under his shirt....this was done to intimidate...scare the person to back off....then the ribs fell out....:hmm:...And who's gonna hire an ex con with a rap sheet as he has?....Plus the fact, if he did have a knife under his shirt?....People would be reluctant to hire him....Have him work in a butcher shop after he threatened someone with saying he had a knife under his shirt?...I don't think so....

Maybe a few years on the chain gang cleaning up the roadways under rifles and guards?.....Hot weather is here....Then again, that cost $$...and the chance of escaping....It's obvious, the man is a slow learner....we all have to face the consequences of our actions.

This dude not only stole a pack of ribs....his rap sheet is a mile long...and to note...he claimed he had a "knife" under his shirt when asked what was under his shirt....this was done to intimidate...scare the person to back off....then the ribs fell out....:hmm:...And who's gonna hire an ex con with a rap sheet as he has?....Plus the fact, if he did have a knife under his shirt?....People would be reluctant to hire him....Have him work in a butcher shop after he threatened someone with saying he had a knife under his shirt?...I don't think so....

Maybe a few years on the chain gang cleaning up the roadways under rifles and guards?.....Hot weather is here....Then again, that cost $$...and the chance of escaping....It's obvious, the man is a slow learner....we all have to face the consequences of our actions.

We as a society is a slow learner...keep doing the same things over and over...

ah well... everyone is intitled to their opinion....we do not have to agree... :)

We as a society is a slow learner...keep doing the same things over and over...

ah well... everyone is intitled to their opinion....we do not have to agree... :)

True, we don't....so the only answer is to lock 'em up after repeating and repeating....same as for children...warn them....ground them....spank them...take away their toys...and still repeating?...Off to Juvenile Detention if they are committing a crime (stealing), etc.

True, we don't....so the only answer is to lock 'em up after repeating and repeating....same as for children...warn them....ground them....spank them...take away their toys...and thwt still repeating?...Off to Juvenile Detention if they are committing a crime (stealing), etc.
That is NOT the only answer, it is something that isnt woRking.
We are not at the end of history.
Society can think of better wys to impeove itself
if it wishes too.
yoir just bieng reactive, lock em up, tske toys away, grounding, spanking....its so so....
Lame really
(Yawn)
Try bieng proactive,
Thats the key....

I'm not opposed to alternative sentencing for non-violent criminals but I wonder what kind of sentencing guidelines would be used. For example, what kind of community service sentence would fit someone like 77-year-old swindler Bernie Madoff? American spy John Walker? What if the criminal doesn't follow thru with the service or does a lousy job or isn't healthy or skilled enough to do anything? What kind of tasks and for how long would this service be in order to be a detriment to further crimes? :dunno:

I'm not opposed to alternative sentencing for non-violent criminals but I wonder what kind of sentencing guidelines would be used. For example, what kind of community service sentence would fit someone like 77-year-old swindler Bernie Madoff? American spy John Walker? What if the criminal doesn't follow thru with the service or does a lousy job or isn't healthy or skilled enough to do anything? What kind of tasks and for how long would this service be in order to be a detriment to further crimes? :dunno:

For s guy like msdoff eho stole billions or whatever number it was, community service serving the destitute seems a start.
also perhas using his skills to help others too.
Walker, was a spy, of course,...
but these two a spy and a guy who stole villions are rather rare, the vast majority of people doing tim. are neaither violent, spies or billion dollor.theives,
Seems better to start with the most common non violent.crime that gets time rather then the rarest..

For s guy like msdoff eho stole billions or whatever number it was, community service serving the destitute seems a start.
also perhas using his skills to help others too.
Walker, was a spy, of course,...
but these two a spy and a guy who stole villions are rather rare, the vast majority of people doing tim. are neaither violent, spies or billion dollor.theives,
Seems better to start with the most common non violent.crime that gets time rather then the rarest..
What are some examples of the kinds of community services that would fit the large numbers of non-violent criminals? How would their service be assigned, enforced, monitored, verified and evaluated?

What are some examples of the kinds of community services that would fit the large numbers of non-violent criminals? How would their service be assigned, enforced, monitored, verified and evaluated?

Their service would be assigned by a judge or jury like wny sentencing, or a deal with the D.A as most sentencing is done now.
It would be monitered as is required, just as it is monitered now for community service
It would be enforced by the courts as it is now, but rather then putting non vioent people with violent people to themsekves become violent which is how it is done now, the penalties woukd.be loss of other rights, and more responsiblities,
Each individual case is different. We sre not industrial cookie cutter products, thus a one.size fits all solution will not be offered as an awnser to this plm

Since the vast majority of people inside are there for drug offences, rehab and work in the community at the courts discretion seems a good idea, perhaps some time digging graves for dealers, and eork with families who lost loved ones, jobs are i,portsnt in this, snd jobs should.be offered, its silly nd.conterproductive that once your done your time your discrininated against via being s felon. This only pushes people deeper in criminality. We need.to.bring people out, not deeper into.criminality
If we.as a society could.put a man on the moon, perhaps we can also figure outa way to address the vast numbers incsrcerated that are there for non violent crimes
Throw away they key isnt working
Society deserves better, and its loot better spent
These sre some thoughts. Again if your looking for.THE answer or a one size fits all solution, your asking the wring guy, i wont offer anything of tht sort

Their service would be assigned by a judge or jury like wny sentencing, or a deal with the D.A as most sentencing is done now.
It would be monitered as is required, just as it is monitered now for community service
It would be enforced by the courts as it is now, but rather then putting non vioent people with violent people to themsekves become violent which is how it is done now, the penalties woukd.be loss of other rights, and more responsiblities,
Each individual case is different. We sre not industrial cookie cutter products, thus a one.size fits all solution will not be offered as an awnser to this plm

Since the vast majority of people inside are there for drug offences, rehab and work in the community at the courts discretion seems a good idea, perhaps some time digging graves for dealers, and eork with families who lost loved ones, jobs are i,portsnt in this, snd jobs should.be offered, its silly nd.conterproductive that once your done your time your discrininated against via being s felon. This only pushes people deeper in criminality. We need.to.bring people out, not deeper into.criminality
If we.as a society could.put a man on the moon, perhaps we can also figure outa way to address the vast numbers incsrcerated that are there for non violent crimes
Throw away they key isnt working
Society deserves better, and its loot better spent
These sre some thoughts. Again if your looking for.THE answer or a one size fits all solution, your asking the wring guy, i wont offer anything of tht sort

I like how you think and the direction you took with this. :)

Curious-- what happens if suppose he did get this.. misdemeanor and a 'stiff community service sentence' (whatever it may be). What happens if the person ignores the community service and skips out? They'll end up back in jail anyway no? Do agree a misdemeanor fits better but considering he's a habitual offender I can see tacking on a few years (50 is a bit much though).

I'm not apposed to putting him and others in jail to do their community service sentence and I'm not opposed to bringing back the chain gangs if that is what it takes to teach them a lesson. We might as well get work out of them and make them pay their way rather than putting them in prison and getting nothing in return except a more crowded and costly penal system.

I'm not apposed to putting him and others in jail to do their community service sentence and I'm not opposed to bringing back the chain gangs if that is what it takes to teach them a lesson. We might as well get work out of them and make them pay their way rather than putting them in prison and getting nothing in return except a more crowded and costly penal system.
We don't have to bring back chain gangs; they never left. We still have chain gangs, although they don't call them that anymore because they aren't chained together. I see them working on the sides of the highway, mostly doing cleanup. They can't try that Cool Hand Luke potty break escape because they bring their own port-a-potty with them on the back of the truck.

Same here for most non-violent criminal, but worst fraud (Bernie Madoff) and spying (John Walker) are life sentence with no parole or death penalty.

I support death penalty for murderers, child rapists, serial rapist, terrorism, worst fraud (especially white collar crime), treason and spying.

We don't have to bring back chain gangs; they never left. We still have chain gangs, although they don't call them that anymore because they aren't chained together. I see them working on the sides of the highway, mostly doing cleanup. They can't try that Cool Hand Luke potty break escape because they bring their own port-a-potty with them on the back of the truck.

Yes, for those who show up for community service we don't need it, but for those who skip out on their service other methods are needed. I was responding to DeafDucky's question regarding what to do when they don't show up and that was put them on a chain gang.

:giggle:...Never forget...one day the traffic was backed up on the expressway...(wreck)...and I saw these people cleaning up the roadways...It was really Hot outside....looked over to see someone I knew..."Fred"...he was cleaning up trash ...:eek3:...well I opened the window and yelled..."Hey, Fred!"....He was embarrassed....dunno what he had done tho'.....

Back