50 Years In Prison For Stealing Rack Of Ribs

That's not true.

We already suffered with a lot of budget cut.

Alabama prisons are 190% overcapacity and understaffed.

Thus one of my points.
Life in prison costs society sllot of money,
Its silly to Snd short sighted to throw away that money, over ribs, or snickers bars, so on.
Maybe at one time people thiught life in prison for such crimes was free, or cheaper Rhen dirt, but we know now, having decades of such nonsense, that it actually costs society allot of money. Money that could be better spent,
America has the highest rate of incarceratiion in the world, and its not cheap.
perhaps other ways csn be found tO address non violent criminals?
Itsa wild and crazy ideal i know,
But just a thought.
In the mean time, money will be tossed away as if it grows on trees....,

indeed.

Soooo...ya all gotta be "abc"....:giggle:...always be cool!
Indeed.
Why you want to give a rib theif free room and board on the tax payers dime for 50 years is anybodies guess...
i wonder what else could society be doing with the loot it pisses away for 50 years of free room and board for stealing ribs?
Give it some thought,
Anything?

Indeed.
Why you want to give a rib theif free room and board on the tax payers dime for 50 years is anybodies guess...
i wonder what else could society be doing with the loot it pisses away for 50 years of free room and board for stealing ribs?
Give it some thought,
Anything?

There is always something better that could be done...how Americans have gotten the rediculouse idea that continuing throwing people in jail for longer times for less cause works....I have no clue...
Seems by now they should have figured it out... some judges have but by far not enough....

Well....let's say you've got a misbehaving child...no matter the talking to...the grounding...even the spankings (if you believe in that), have worked.....Over and over, time and time again that child misbehaves...so what do you do?....Let the child learn the lesson the hard way?...ignore the child...and as he grows older...gets into the big time crime?.....Then it's the Judge's turn...warnings and warnings....don't work!....Over and over....until finally...it's lock up time...they serve the time...get out...and go right back to it again.....Get "treatment"....warned again...back to it over and over....What's the parent, even the Judge to do?...Habitual offenders they are....

Well....let's say you've got a misbehaving child...no matter the talking to...the grounding...even the spankings (if you believe in that), have worked.....Over and over, time and time again that child misbehaves...so what do you do?....Let the child learn the lesson the hard way?...ignore the child...and as he grows older...gets into the big time crime?.....Then it's the Judge's turn...warnings and warnings....don't work!....Over and over....until finally...it's lock up time...they serve the time...get out...and go right back to it again.....Get "treatment"....warned again...back to it over and over....What's the parent, even the Judge to do?...Habitual offenders they are....

There is always a way to reach a child.... just have to find a way.... too many parents and adults try to fix the action and not looking for the cause and resolving that.... just have to keep trying an not give up on the child...

There is always a way to reach a child.... just have to find a way.... too many parents and adults try to fix the action and not looking for the cause and resolving that.... just have to keep trying an not give up on the child...

Maybe so, Jezie...but these habitual offenders are grown men and women....Whether they were actually "given up on" or not....they're still doing the crimes.....so its the Judge's turn to administer whatever the offender gets....I do watch "Scared Straight" on A&E channel....so many of these kids go right back to their "old ways"...even tho' the parents are deeply involved in their lives and have tried so hard to solve the issue(s).....

So many teenagers are out of control, no matter what help they get.

Maybe so, Jezie...but these habitual offenders are grown men and women....Whether they were actually "given up on" or not....they're still doing the crimes.....so its the Judge's turn to administer whatever the offender gets....I do watch "Scared Straight" on A&E channel....so many of these kids go right back to their "old ways"...even tho' the parents are deeply involved in their lives and have tried so hard to solve the issue(s).....

So many teenagers are out of control, no matter what help they get.

After they are grown. ... even habitual offenders can turn around... however, no judge or court will likely be the cause of the turn around...

Socioeconomic is big factor for habitual offenders and US is much poorer when compare to developed countries (by capital), also we don't have many decent jobs without college education and the access to college education isn't free so more people jump into criminal career to make more money, especially drugs.

I know many children raised by strict and abusive parents ended up in state prison today.

That's not true.

We already suffered with a lot of budget cut.

Alabama prisons are 190% overcapacity and understaffed.

HELLO! That 190% statistic shows how stupid third strike laws are, especially for people who don't commit serious crimes. Stealing $35 worth of ribs should of been charged as a misdemeanor and the guy should of been given a stiff community service sentence. If those in Alabama are happy with the third strike law they have enacted than so be it, but they better be willing and ready to build many more prisons and hire a lot more prison guards to control their rising prison population that will be incarcerated for their natural life.

The main problem is that those running the prisons and passing the laws in most if not all states lack one key trait and that is common sense and the feeling that your money is their money to do with as they please.

Indeed.
Give it some thought,
Anything?
What do you suggest? 1 year of prison? What happens if he gets out and does it again? Send him to prison for another year? Then he gets out and does it again, send him to prison for another year and so on...

Honestly, screw him and let him die in prison. Nobody but you cares.

Stealing $35 worth of ribs should of been charged as a misdemeanor and the guy should of been given a stiff community service sentence

Curious-- what happens if suppose he did get this.. misdemeanor and a 'stiff community service sentence' (whatever it may be). What happens if the person ignores the community service and skips out? They'll end up back in jail anyway no? Do agree a misdemeanor fits better but considering he's a habitual offender I can see tacking on a few years (50 is a bit much though).

HELLO! That 190% statistic shows how stupid third strike laws are, especially for people who don't commit serious crimes. Stealing $35 worth of ribs should of been charged as a misdemeanor and the guy should of been given a stiff community service sentence. If those in Alabama are happy with the third strike law they have enacted than so be it, but they better be willing and ready to build many more prisons and hire a lot more prison guards to control their rising prison population that will be incarcerated for their natural life.

The main problem is that those running the prisons and passing the laws in most if not all states lack one key trait and that is common sense and the feeling that your money is their money to do with as they please.

1977 Habitual Offender Act isn't 3 strike law, but it does increase the penalty for repeat crime.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/06/how_does_alabamas_habitual_off.html

Oh really, just because I don't care if he spends 50 years in prison? :lol: That's his problem.

No, because you think to quantify something that has such strong and various view points to just three people... vs the world....
Your brush is too wide.... just because you think something does not mean everyone should or does think the same way as you...

No, because you think to quantify something that has such strong and various view points to just three people... vs the world....
Your brush is too wide.... just because you think something does not mean everyone should or does think the same way as you...
Oh, I get it. I have read comments at various websites regarding this man. Many of them disagree with the decision so they care just like three of you. However, how many people out there don't care? A LOT! They just move on since it's not their problem.

Oh, I get it. I have read comments at various websites regarding this man. Many of them disagree with the decision so they care just like three of you. However, how many people out there don't care? A LOT! They just move on since it's not their problem.

And therein lies the issue... too many thinking it's not their problem.... how simple that would be...

Back