50 Years In Prison For Stealing Rack Of Ribs

Yes, for those who show up for community service we don't need it, but for those who skip out on their service other methods are needed. I was responding to DeafDucky's question regarding what to do when they don't show up and that was put them on a chain gang.
The ones I see here aren't doing community service in lieu of imprisonment. Community service people live at home.

The highway workers are convicted non-violent criminals from local county jails (not prison). They are incarcerated and are out just to do the work. They still live the rest of the time in the jails. When they're working they wear prisoner uniforms and have armed guards watching them.

Cleaning up/mowing the roadways...growing gardens for veggies to feed the less fortunate....digging ditches for pipelines...(my thinking cap isn't on today)...but jobs needed done to save the State $$...under the gun tho'
...as people in jail don't want to be there, but that's their home until their time is up....and they do attempt to run...as for older/sick..... be inside the jails....Not prisons for non-violent criminals....Hard labor it would be.....We do have a detention for men & women in my City...called "The Pea Farm"....just a step away for those who are prone to be sent to Prison....

Back on the olden' days...the Chain Gang it was called....working from sun up to sun down....under the gun with guards on horses and foot....and there were a lot of attempted escapes....some even sent to prison for attempted escape.

Dunno how successful this program is tho'...our prisons and jails are still full.

The ones I see here aren't doing community service in lieu of imprisonment. Community service people live at home.

The highway workers are convicted non-violent criminals from local county jails (not prison). They are incarcerated and are out just to do the work. They still live the rest of the time in the jails. When they're working they wear prisoner uniforms and have armed guards watching them.

My contention is if they don't do the community service voluntarily then lock them up an put them in "chain gangs" until they finish there service. You might as well get work out of these petty criminals instead of locking them up for 50 years for stealing a rack of ribs. If the criminal justice system wants to lock these people up for the rest of their lives, let them pay for their imprisonment. Now violent criminals are a totally different matter!

Same here for most non-violent criminal, but worst fraud (Bernie Madoff) and spying (John Walker) are life sentence with no parole or death penalty.

I support death penalty for murderers, child rapists, serial rapist, terrorism, worst fraud (especially white collar crime), treason and spying.

I find it intereating that you added white collar crime into that list... while I do not disagree with you...I am curious as to your reasoning...

He doesn't get 50 years of prison because he stole food. He gets 50 years of prison because he's a habitual criminal. That's why the jury made the verdict.

Like RR said, don't mess with Texas.

He doesn't get 50 years of prison because he stole food. He gets 50 years of prison because he's a habitual criminal. That's why the jury made the verdict.

Like RR said, don't mess with Texas.

Curious...you do a crime...serve your time... does that not negate the offense? If the history of a person is always held against them when do they have the desire to be more than another crook?

Curious...you do a crime...serve your time... does that not negate the offense? If the history of a person is always held against them when do they have the desire to be more than another crook?
Don't worry about him.

He deserves it. Why worry about him?

How did he deserve such a harsh sentence? His past was used to determine this asinine sentence.... but then my statement goes circular...
I worry and mention it, because I see it as wrong that a person's past is used against them...
It stops being justice and becomes vengeance...

How did he deserve such a harsh sentence? His past was used to determine this asinine sentence.... but then my statement goes circular...
I worry and mention it, because I see it as wrong that a person's past is used against them...
It stops being justice and becomes vengeance...
I don't see how you fail to see it. For example, instead of 50 years, he gets 6 months in jail, then what? He could have committed more crimes until he dies. He doesn't care about you. So why do you care about him?

I don't see how you fail to see it. For example, instead of 50 years, he gets 6 months in jail, then what? He could have committed more crimes until he dies. He doesn't care about you. So why do you care about him?

Oh I see it, I just do not agree with it.. I see holding a person's past against them as vengeance thus wrong....

A person does not have to care for me for me to care for them... in this I simply ask...

Is he a human being?
Am I a tax paying citizen?

Since the answer to the above is yes...

I care.

Oh I see it, I just do not agree with it.. I see holding a person's past against them as vengeance thus wrong....

A person does not have to care for me for me to care for them... in this I simply ask...

Is he a human being?
Am I a tax paying citizen?

Since the answer to the above is yes...

I care.
Oh well, yes he's a human being who doesn't give a sh*t about the laws. He could have killed you if he wanted. Do you still care?

Like RR said, don't mess with Texas and Alabama.

Just fixed for you.

Inmates from Texas and Alabama prisons wear white uniform.

Texas
622x350.jpg

Alabama
US-Limestone-Correctional-Facility-3.jpg

Oh well, yes he's a human being who doesn't give a sh*t about the laws. He could have killed you if he wanted. Do you still care?

Again...what he cares for does not control what I care for... what he can do also does not affect my actions nor what i care for...
My answer does not change....

I have a horrible bad habit that more should and it is compassion for ALL living beings...
In this case I care because he is a human being and I pay taxes.... he is a living being and I care how my tax money is spent... simple as...

So with the exploding prison populations and the overcrowding in prisons, can we build a prison across the street from where you live? If you keep putting people away for basically life for petty crimes we are going to need to build new prisons continuously just to house them.

Again...what he cares for does not control what I care for... what he can do also does not affect my actions nor what i care for...
My answer does not change....

I have a horrible bad habit that more should and it is compassion for ALL living beings...
In this case I care because he is a human being and I pay taxes.... he is a living being and I care how my tax money is spent... simple as...
What the hell are you talking about? Criminals are human beings, too. He's one of them, isn't he?

You worry about where your taxes go? I worry about tax increases.

So with the exploding prison populations and the overcrowding in prisons, can we build a prison across the street from where you live? If you keep putting people away for basically life for petty crimes we are going to need to build new prisons continuously just to house them.
My city prohibits it. :lol:

Anyway I know that there are overcrowded prisons all over USA. The point is that this one guy doesn't make a lot of difference. Overcrowded due to many murderers with no death penalty, dope dealers, DUIs, rapists, kidnapers, armed robbers, swindlers, arsonists and so on.

He can make an appeal if he can afford a lawyer.

What the hell are you talking about? Criminals are human beings, too. He's one of them, isn't he?

You worry about where your taxes go? I worry about tax increases.

If you do not control where your taxes go and how they are spent...money is thrown out the window and more taxes are requested....
I fail to understand how this is a hard concept....
Think this through...
Throwing nonviolent criminals into prison, giving rediculous lengths of time, increases prison and jail populations, requires more prisons, more money to house, feed, maintain facilities and "rehabilitation" programs, pay the guards and other workers, and the list goes on.... where does the money come from?
Your taxes, which WILL increase with not caring about how criminals are handled....by having the mindframe of throwing them in prison and throwing away the key. You are BEGGING for higher taxes....
But hey we are each allowed our own opinions right?

If you do not control where your taxes go and how they are spent...money is thrown out the window and more taxes are requested....
I fail to understand how this is a hard concept....
Think this through...
Throwing nonviolent criminals into prison, giving rediculous lengths of time, increases prison and jail populations, requires more prisons, more money to house, feed, maintain facilities and "rehabilitation" programs, pay the guards and other workers, and the list goes on.... where does the money come from?
Your taxes, which WILL increase with not caring about how criminals are handled....by having the mindframe of throwing them in prison and throwing away the key. You are BEGGING for higher taxes....
But hey we are each allowed our own opinions right?
Like I said in my previous post to seb, he can make an appeal if he can afford a lawyer. That's between him and the state of Texas. My taxes don't go there nor do yours.

Back