2010 Election Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn these Yankees! :lol:
Those are the drivers that South Carolinians blame! :lol:

Seriously though, every time I drive in New York, 9 out of 10 drivers don't know how to drive. It's pretty scary. One thing I hate about the toll booths in New York is that there are so many toll booths and once you are done, all of them have to merge into 2 lanes from 6 or 8 lanes all at once!

What a thrill! :lol:
When we drive up to Connecticut, we avoid the whole area. It's a few more miles but time and stress wise it's much better. We go thru PA and upstate NY, then back down into CT. Fewer tolls, pot holes, and white knuckles. :lol:

Unfortunately, the toll road system in New Jersey goes back to the 18th century. Now, it's entrenched.
really? :mad2:

I want to know when NJ will allow people to pump their own gas. :lol: (just teasing)
Fortunately.... I'm allowed to pump my own gas for my bike :lol: although.. I have to wait for gas attendant to authorize the machine for me.

The funny thing is that couple days ago... the thought just popped into my head that I think the real reason (and ulterior motive) for mandatory "Full Service" is for employment purpose. :dunno:

Are you sure about that? I think it varies by state in the USA.

yea that's how it is. I was :eek3: at NY's latest increase in registration fee. Thanks God I'm still NJ resident!

NJ Governor wants to do same.

Team Christie’s new revenue scheme
The state agency that pulls in $1 billion in revenue each year has just found another way to make a little more – maybe a lot more. None of this largesse will be derived from taxes in keeping with Governor Christie’s no-tax pledge. Indeed folks will be more than happy to plunk down money for this cause.

The agency is the Motor Vehicle Commission and the “cause” is vanity. For a one-time fee of $60, a NASCAR fan can purchase his or her own plate along with the name and number of a favorite star. There are several stars to choose from. If you want to personalize the plate, pony up another $50 and MVC will be more than happy to stick your name or another identifying mark on the plate, provided it’s no more than seven characters long.

Motor vehicle agencies have been raising extra cash this way for years in border states like Pennsylvania and New York, where Raymond Martinez inaugurated a similar moneymaker when he was motor vehicle director there. Martinez now holds the comparable job in New Jersey where I’m sure the current variety of vanity plates – which now numbers 161 – will soon rise, perhaps exponentially. Talks should soon get under way (if they haven’t already) with the Devils, Giants, Jets, Eagles, Phillies and any other team that wants to get in on Jersey’s act.

I’m guessing that these transactions will be a can’t-lose revenue source for the Garden State. Ardent fans would much rather dig into their pockets for $110 to root on their favorite teams and players than be forced to pay for state services the old-fashioned way. By the way, it’s not really a one-time fee. After all, if you personalize a Derek Jeter plate next year when the Yankee shortstop turns 37, what will you do with it when he retires at, say, 42? You know what you’ll do. You’ll pay another $110 for a new plate with somebody else’s name and number. Robinson Cano? Mark Texeira? C.C. Sabathia?

If the Yankees can ring cash registers in The Bronx – even when they lose the division series – why shouldn’t they ring them for struggling Team Christie and his numbers crunchers in Trenton, too?

really? :mad2:

Fortunately.... I'm allowed to pump my own gas for my bike :lol: although.. I have to wait for gas attendant to authorize the machine for me.

The funny thing is that couple days ago... the thought just popped into my head that I think the real reason (and ulterior motive) for mandatory "Full Service" is for employment purpose. :dunno:

Yeppers. Bottom line: moolah!

That is obviously because the portion of the gas tax that goes to road maintenance is not sufficient to keep all of the roads in passable condition.

Just increase gas tax by several cents like 10 cents or more.

For a place like LA, it would be a total nightmare to have the toll booths on the highways. Just saying.

Yup, I agree and there are few toll roads in LA, mostly in Orange County.

So, you would be willing to accept a 10 cent increase per gallon with a smile?

gladly!!!!! ..... if they abolish toll booths or significantly reduce toll fares

So, you would be willing to accept a 10 cent increase per gallon with a smile?

Yes, sure and I prefer gas tax over tolls.

If state doesn't have enough funds to do road work then increase gas tax could help or find any of road that considered high priority and put unpopular or low demand road as low priority.

Our state doesn't have a problem with funding on road, of course, stimulus package helped them in some part too.

Yes, sure and I prefer gas tax over tolls.
NJ gas tax is 10.5 cents per gallon in here. and $8 toll for cars and $6 for motorcycle (cash only, $1 off if EZ Pass and $2-3 off if off-peak). I'd take increased gas tax over tolls.

If state doesn't have enough funds to do road work then increase gas tax could help or find any of road that considered high priority and put unpopular or low demand road as low priority.
or issue bonds.

Our state doesn't have a problem with funding on road, of course, stimulus package helped them in some part too.
lucky of you. you don't have the population density like NJ/NYC that puts a tremendous amount of strain on roads & bridges.

NJ gas tax is 10.5 cents per gallon in here. and $8 toll for cars and $6 for motorcycle (cash only, $1 off if EZ Pass and $2-3 off if off-peak). I'd take increased gas tax over tolls.

or issue bonds.

lucky of you. you don't have the population density like NJ/NYC that puts a tremendous amount of strain on roads & bridges.

In here, gas tax is 18 cents per gal.

Oh really, $8 on toll road cost too much to my taste and I had experience with toll road in Chicago and hated it so I have use city road to avoid toll as possible. I prefer to live in LA over Chicago due very few toll roads but traffic in both cities are equally bad.

Yup, driving in Alabama is too cheap and less frustration, it means less road rage and unfriendly drivers but in some section of highway like on Route 280 and I-65 are two of most congested road that I had seen in this state, usually morning and again in near evening.

What are you think about your state governor killed the project on NY-NJ transit expansion?

gladly!!!!! ..... if they abolish toll booths or significantly reduce toll fares
Not reduce; Eliminate! Nothing more annoying than stopping to toss a dime in the basket. :mad2:

I remember in 4th grade South Plainfield, NJ, state history class learning about the original "turn pikes."

It is a racket, for sure. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back