10 yrs old arrest for cutting her lunch with a knife.

but even then some employers dont even like the fact that some applicants have a 'sealed juvenile delinquency record'. To them it can show a sign of immaturity, compulsive erratic behavior, and the possibility to commit future crimes as an adult - even though this supposed 'crime' took place at the age of 5!

I agree. I was just answering the poster's question about the record being wiped out.

I wonder if she packed the lunch herself? Some kids pack their own school lunches. Maybe that's why the steak wasn't pre-cut. :dunno:

That is a distint possibility. My son often packed his own lunch, and my older neices and nephews not only pack their own, but the lunches for their younger siblings, as well.

That is a distint possibility. My son often packed his own lunch, and my older neices and nephews not only pack their own, but the lunches for their younger siblings, as well.
My grandsons pack their own lunches, and cook their own meals at home, in the kitchen and on the grill. It's very possible the little girl in the story does the same thing, and didn't think twice about using kitchen knives.

I wonder if she packed the lunch herself? Some kids pack their own school lunches. Maybe that's why the steak wasn't pre-cut. :dunno:

That could be possible, because my younger sister does pack her own lunch.

HAs there been an update on this story yet?? I just hope the girl isnt slapped with a felony charge for good, it would make simple things such as getting a checking account nearly impossible.

Here's the update that just came in -

MyFox Orlando | Charges dropped against steak knife girl

Charges dropped against steak knife girl
Last Edited: Thursday, 27 Dec 2007, 10:53 AM EST
Created: Wednesday, 26 Dec 2007, 3:46 PM EST

A 10-year-old Marion County girl is still trying to grasp the news she might never be allowed back at school. Last week the girl was eating her steak lunch in the cafeteria at Sunrise Elementary School in Ocala. Two school employees saw her using a knife for her steak. They took it and called police and now the girl is facing a felony charge and is not allowed back in school.

OCALA, Fla. (AP) -- Authorities have dropped a felony weapons charge against a 10-year-old girl in Ocala who brought a kitchen knife to school to cut up her lunch.

The girl, whose name has not been released, was arrested after teachers at Sunrise Elementary School saw her use a 41/2-inch knife on a steak. She was also suspended from school for three days.

After reviewing her school record and interviewing her, investigators with the Department of Juvenile Justice recommended that the State Attorney's Office not prosecute the child. The attorney's office agreed.

Assistant State Attorney Ric Ridgway told the Orlando Sentinel that nothing in the girl's school history suggested she was a troubled child.

It is good to know that the charges has been dropped.

But, On the other hand, the damages has already been done because the girl would probably need a lot of help to get through this.

I'm glad that they at least dropped the criminal charges.

So glad to hear that the charge on this 10 years old girl has been dropped and I agree the damaged already been done. such a shame.

Good to hear the charges are dropped on the girl. Hopefully she can able to move on and learn in school, I know it lesson learned and damage is done. It takes long to get over this issues for sure.

That's wonderful!! :thumb:

Maybe they realized how ridiculous the charges were.

It is great to know that the charges has been dropped. :thumb:

Yes I agree with you on this, Calvin.
Good to hear the charges are dropped on the girl. Hopefully she can able to move on and learn in school, I know it lesson learned and damage is done. It takes long to get over this issues for sure.

Calvin talking about 5 -10 years old Liebling and I agree with him the school policy are getting more stricter these days, it takes time for them to understand and respect the school policy, the schools do go way overboard on these punishment if you noticed!!!

They never give these children warnings, they just punished them just like that! It's bullcrap

Yes, I know but I only state that I don´t know anything about school policy over knife, etc because the article didn´t say anything.

If I let my boys to join the school, then I have to read their school policy to know what my boys should or should not bring... We have to stick with their rule no matter either we disagree or not. If I feel that the school rule is too extreme then look for other school.

Well, I disagree with you Liebling. This has gone far as you can imagine, there's no first time offender warned is even given, most of the time they go ahead with suspending at the first time offender, or a phone call to the police.

Yes I already stated in my previous post "I personally against to treat children as criminal or suspend them over nonsense things because it's unfair when they did nothing."

Its about rules, I am referred to. There´re stupid or poor or good rules in everywhere, we have to stick no matter if we dislike their rules. I have some stupid rules at work place. What I do is obey their rules... Oh well... If you disobey their rules then you will get sack or get in trouble.

Hugs are not allowed, when children loves to give and received hugs, You know that right? A hug can make all the difference in the world, there is nothing inappropriate for giving hugs or receiving hugs.

It's incredibly sad to see how school policies gets so strict that it doesn't give any kids any rights anymore.

Yes, I agree with you 100% on this. The rules, they set at school over :hug: is too extreme. It´s innoncent :hug: I would look for other school if the school where my boys attend - no hugs allowed...

It even confused my own kids when I tell them don't give anyone hugs at school or you'll be in trouble with the school, they asked me why can't they show any affection at school? I tell them It's just the way it is. I hate to see how frighten my kids look when they can't do so much at school because one mistake will get them in trouble, no matter how they look at it. It's what the school will see how it looks to them.

It would not confuse the children if the parents positive them over different rules than their own rules in house. I know it´s sucker but we have to accept and stick it if we agree to let our children attend that school or city rules.

We all know there´re stupid, extreme or horrible rules but we have to stick with it or look for other school or somewhere to live.

Im glad that the felony charges were dropped and Im sure whomever worked this case probably saw this and thought - my god this is ri-damn-diculous! They still had to follow procedures to interview the girl, the parents, look at school records, etc.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if the girl is transferred to a new school at semester break or during the summer recess.

If it were my kid I would first tell them you cannot take kitchen knives with you to school for safety reasons (might cut oneself), and if something needs cutting before eating it might be wise to pre-cut it at home rather than at school.

And as for the school authorities - I would immediately pull my child from the school and find some place else for the child to attend, even if I had to temporarily move them to a nearby district until I could get a house in a district that is better.

I'm am so happy to hear that they have dropped the charges. At least someone came to their senses finally! But the poor kid was still traumatized by being arrested. The school administrators that allowed the teachers to call the police in the first place should be removed from their jobs, and the teachers have no business being responsible for young chidlren, IMO.

Wow... what this world has come to. Taking real utencils (forks, spoons, and yes knives) is a very effective way to reduce waste- why buy and throw out plastic when you can just take them home and wash it? The "it could be a weapon" argument is useless, because if a student geniunely wants to sneak in a weapon, it would not be even mildly difficult for them to do so.

Zero tolerance policies have gone -way- too far: the girl was just trying to eat her lunch, not stab a teacher.

Good news about the charges being dropped, but like many of you said, she's already traumatized. I just hope she doesn't go off the rails later on if she doesn't recieve counselling now.

To me it seems that America's living in fear on every levels. Is that healthy?, I wonder

Back