What are some of the disadvantages of being deaf?

Hmmmmm. it's not the thread...it's the "poster"...isn't it?....Unfortunately, it's not "your" thread....So, no matter what "he" posts or titles...you're gonna find "fault" with it....nitpicking....:roll:

Absolutely.

Hmmmmm. it's not the thread...it's the "poster"...isn't it?....Unfortunately, it's not "your" thread....So, no matter what "he" posts or titles...you're gonna find "fault" with it....nitpicking....:roll:

Not really. I speak up when I see people being tricked into feeling sorry for themselves.

Not really. I speak up when I see people being tricked into feeling sorry for themselves.

"being tricked into feeling sorry for themselves"???...Sorry...you're barking up the wrong tree....Everybody was doing just fine, until someone comes in and starts throwing around "insults" .

"Nitpicking"....ABSOLUTELY!...And it's been said time and time again, if you don't like the topic....(even the poster)....don't click on it!...Some people have to jump into every Thread and find "their fault" with it...but mainly, (for some people)....it's not the thread, it's the "poster"....

Now, ain't that the TRUTH??...

"being tricked into feeling sorry for themselves"???...Sorry...you're barking up the wrong tree....Everybody was doing just fine, until someone comes in and starts throwing around "insults" .

"Nitpicking"....ABSOLUTELY!...And it's been said time and time again, if you don't like the topic....(even the poster)....don't click on it!...Some people have to jump into every Thread and find "their fault" with it...but mainly, (for some people)....it's not the thread, it's the "poster"....

Now, ain't that the TRUTH??...

Naw.

Honestly, I do not see any disadvantages in being deaf. It is just life and I just live it. :hmm:
If it's so good to be deaf, then why do the Deaf often try to convince the others to go the Deaf route as often exhibited in AD?

Besides putting your head in the sand, sweeping the dirt under the rug or pretending the problem doesn't exist doesn't actually make the problem go away.

Maybe it's also a question of some feel the need to be more realistic or practical while others think the solution is to simply be "happy with the way you are" in an almost naive, polyanna sense. IMHO.

If it's so good to be deaf, then why do the Deaf often try to convince the others to go the Deaf route as often exhibited in AD?

Besides putting your head in the sand, sweeping the dirt under the rug or pretending the problem doesn't exist doesn't actually make the problem go away.

Maybe it's also a question of some feel the need to be more realistic or practical while others think the solution is to simply be "happy with the way you are" in an almost naive, polyanna sense. IMHO.

Maybe. But I prefer Peter Pan over Pollyanna.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

The disadvantages I stated are facts. Do not deny it and try to be over proud being deaf. Sometimes Im sad that I cant drive a semi truck, school bus, city bus, train and other things that REQUIRE hearing and effective communcation on the job description. It is once again a FACT. The technology today is not efficent enough to keep up with 100% accuracy.

I do drive a semi, bro. Been doing it for 6 years now. maybe again in two weeks.

We try to convince because it's good. :shrug:

How is describing disadvantages of being deaf be about lack of self confidence?

Even if you were in a Deaf community there are still disadvantages in being deaf in certain circumstances. Unless you are claiming 100% perfection and that disadvantages do not exist? :hmm:

I see it that there are disadvantages and advantages whether if you're hearing, deaf, hoh, or Deaf. Pointing out the disadvantages does not necessarily mean bitterness but reality.
I actually think it's the other way around that those that are admitting that there are disadvantages to being deaf are actually showing more self confidence. In another word, they are actually being braver and more honest by doing so.

And it's those that "won't give an inch" are the ones that are actually showing more fear by not doing so. Yet, they put up this "brave front" and pretend they don't have any problems and that it's great to be Deaf and all that. Yet, you also often see them going around complaining about how society supposedly treats them or often throw the "A" word around to anything that supposedly doesn't support the Deaf or would try to make others take the more Deaf route on a continious basis as evidenced in AD and all.

IMHO

Like you, for example?

Just weeks ago you blasted a specific number of people (by name) for choosing to be d/Deaf, or accusing them of being deaf wanna-be's, or being happy with their choices.

I don't think any of those that you accused were being naive about their choices, myself included. Your post was so offensive that the mods even had to remove it.

I wonder, if I create this thread instead of Kokonut, would you say something different, maybe?

Wirelessly posted

KarissaMann05 said:
I wonder, if I create this thread instead of Kokonut, would you say something different, maybe?

Not with people being insidious about the supposed exclusiveness of the culture.

I actually think it's the other way around that those that are admitting that there are disadvantages to being deaf are actually showing more self confidence. In another word, they are actually being braver and more honest by doing so.

And it's those that "won't give an inch" are the ones that are actually showing more fear by not doing so. Yet, they put up this "brave front" and pretend they don't have any problems and that it's great to be Deaf and all that. Yet, you also often see them going around complaining about how society supposedly treats them or often throw the "A" word around to anything that supposedly doesn't support the Deaf or would try to make others take the more Deaf route on a continious basis as evidenced in AD and all.

IMHO

I think so too. Most of this thread that has been useful has been more about "here's a disadvantage, and here is what I do about it." I find that quite useful. There's so much stuff out there; no one has a monopoly on having found all the answers.

Like you, for example?

Just weeks ago you blasted a specific number of people (by name) for choosing to be d/Deaf, or accusing them of being deaf wanna-be's, or being happy with their choices.

I don't think any of those that you accused were being naive about their choices, myself included. Your post was so offensive that the mods even had to remove it.
No, I'm not always 100% satisfied or contented with myself. I strive to be better. Isn't that's what growth is all about?

In another word, you're admitting that AD should basically be just Deaf related?

No, I'm not always 100% satisfied or contented with myself. I strive to be better. Isn't that's what growth is all about?

In another word, you're admitting that AD should basically be just Deaf related?

Where on earth did I say that?

All I said was not everyone is naive or a pollyanna, as you stated. Many are perfectly happy with their choices, and with reason.

:confused:

I think so too. Most of this thread that has been useful has been more about "here's a disadvantage, and here is what I do about it." I find that quite useful. There's so much stuff out there; no one has a monopoly on having found all the answers.
I agree. Ironically, I think the one person that's probably the most responsible for actually creating the sometime toxic environment in AD is actually an hearing. And that even the deaf / Deaf would probably get along better in the forum if it wasn't for that one person. IMHO.

Where on earth did I say that?

All I said was not everyone is naive or a pollyanna, as you stated. Many are perfectly happy with their choices, and with reason.

:confused:
Well, that post was in reference to a thread that was started by an hearing person that was complaining that AD should be basically Deaf related. Thus if you found that post offensive, then you were probably agreeing with the thinking that AD should be Deaf related.

I agree. Ironically, I think the one person that's probably the most responsible for actually creating the sometime toxic environment in AD is actually an hearing. And that even the deaf / Deaf would probably get along better in the forum if it wasn't for that one person. IMHO.

Them's fighting words. Reba carries a gun.

Back