What are some of the disadvantages of being deaf?

:( It appears that you've been hurt by some insensitive comments. It's always an awful feeling when people reject you, or don't respect the way live your life or the way you decided to handle your hearing loss. I've not had anybody say those things to me, and would be sorely disappointed if somebody did say those things to me. But my belief is that just as there are morons in all sections of society, there are also wonderful caring folks as well. And that applies to AllDeaf as well. In reading some of the threads on AD, I've been rather shocked by some of the harsh comments made. But I've also read kind & supportive comments as well. I hope this is one of the latter :)

Whether he/she gotten hurt or not shouldn't be our position to judge or figure out. What hohtopics pointed out were some of the facts. Nothing is said in Alldeaf that this site is exclusively for culturally deaf people only. Yet, some people have the tendency to think that way and that this site somehow "belong" to them.

I'm not surprised on what you've found in AD regarding harsh comments made. I believe that was the general idea hohtopics was referring to.

Wirelessly posted

Where the hell do you guys live? I never got the "you're not Deaf enough" holier than thou attitude, and I am an inbetweener...

Wirelessly posted

Where the hell do you guys live? I never got the "you're not Deaf enough" holier than thou attitude, and I am an inbetweener...

Sadly it does happens, I have been insulted with the hearing sign language on the forehead in the past. (index finger on the forehead) and shunned before. I do not waste my time with people that can not accept me for who I am.

Wirelessly posted

Babyblue said:
souggy said:

Sadly it does happens, I have been insulted with the hearing sign language on the forehead in the past. (index finger on the forehead) and shunned before. I do not waste my time with people that can not accept me for who I am.

I admit I have seen it happens, but not at the same frequency some of the others are making it out to be.

Either the people preaching about being discriminated against by the Deaf not humble enough, or they hold really deep grudges.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

I admit I have seen it happens, but not at the same frequency some of the others are making it out to be.

Either the people preaching about being discriminated against by the Deaf not humble enough, or they hold really deep grudges.

I don't think anybody ever pointed out on the frequency of that occurring but rather that it has happened in the past just as Babyblue and you have pointed it out.

Whether he/she gotten hurt or not shouldn't be our position to judge or figure out. What hohtopics pointed out were some of the facts. Nothing is said in Alldeaf that this site is exclusively for culturally deaf people only. Yet, some people have the tendency to think that way and that this site somehow "belong" to them.

I'm not surprised on what you've found in AD regarding harsh comments made. I believe that was the general idea hohtopics was referring to.

Totally missed the point about the kind and sensitive comments, didn't you?:giggle:

Wirelessly posted

Well you would not be happy if you were discriminated agaisnt too. I have seen some of this going on in this forum and IRL. Not only the Deaf but hearing, HOH, CI and more.

I feel the same way about the ones that are doing the discrimination. They have some anger issues with their own life.

Honestly, I do not see any disadvantages in being deaf. It is just life and I just live it. :hmm:

Honestly, I do not see any disadvantages in being deaf. It is just life and I just live it. :hmm:

The very need to discuss the disadvantages shows a focus on the negative and issues that need to be dealt with.:wave:

I pronounce you an exceptionally healthy individual.:P

The very need to discuss the disadvantages shows a focus on the negative and issues that need to be dealt with.:wave:

I pronounce you an exceptionally healthy individual.:P

Sorry, I got exceptionally thick skin, so it will take a while to sink in. :lol:
I thank you in advance, though.

I admit, I have issues with the Deaf culture, but it's not really the Deaf culture itself I am having an issue with since I run into these similar problems with rednecks, roughnecks, hippies, as well as academic elitists.

Dunno, it seems pointless to whinge about discrimination within your own circle when one has dipped toes in many other cultural groups.

I admit, I have issues with the Deaf culture, but it's not really the Deaf culture itself I am having an issue with since I run into these similar problems with rednecks, roughnecks, hippies, as well as academic elitists.

Dunno, it seems pointless to whinge about discrimination within your own circle when one has dipped toes in many other cultural groups.

Right. Find me a perfect culture.

so so so bitter. :aw:

It is discrimination. Bitter is when people continually scream and fume about how hearing people discriminate against deaf people and run around and use the "hearies" label thinking it'll help. Discrimination exist. Even in here. Facts of life. It can get ugly. We have the opportunity to point them out rather than rant and fume endlessly using pejoratives.

Right. Find me a perfect culture.

It's not so much the fact each culture has imperfection, but rather the underlying reasons why people bicker. Like Barry Sewell's "Deaf Trash" video, I understood what he was talking about. I just decided not to comment on it since I see it everywhere, and not just isolated to the Deaf culture.

Back