What are some of the disadvantages of being deaf?

Wow! It looks like those who focus on the disadvantages are very angry and resentful, and those who don't have managed to retain their sense of humor and wit. Go figure.

See what focusing on what is missing does to people? Much better to take a strengths based approach, as in what advantages are there to being deaf?

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...many-advantages-being-deaf-2.html#post1828053

Lots of happiness, creativity, and wit in that one.

Well, dude.

I don't fear of something. I just tried of dealing with the oppression and that crap. It is so amazing that you don't think there is oppression?? ARE YOU TELLING ME that I just lied to everyone about my experience of hardship because I "pretended of something"?

Uh, gee. Thanks a lot. :roll:
At least you're being honest about your hardship.

Wow! It looks like those who focus on the disadvantages are very angry and resentful, and those who don't have managed to retain their sense of humor and wit. Go figure.

See what focusing on what is missing does to people? Much better to take a strengths based approach, as in what advantages are there to being deaf?

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...many-advantages-being-deaf-2.html#post1828053

Lots of happiness, creativity, and wit in that one.

I used to spend so much focus on the disadvantages of being deaf all of my life as I was always treated as a "broken" hearing person. I could function as one but not treated as equally so I got tired of it. I am deaf and yes, I will face some discrimination and ignorance but I cant dwell on what I "can't" do. It just got tiresome.

I used to spend so much focus on the disadvantages of being deaf all of my life as I was always treated as a "broken" hearing person. I could function as one but not treated as equally so I got tired of it. I am deaf and yes, I will face some discrimination and ignorance but I cant dwell on what I "can't" do. It just got tiresome.

Yeppers. You learned how destructive it can be, and changed. Takes a strong, responsible person to do that.

199249.jpg

Right. Still, there are those who see it as beneficial to use what hearing they have left and do what they can do with it in a positive way. Others simply cannot derive any benefits from the use of a hearing aid and they go about functioning in a different way.

Right. Still, there are those who see it as beneficial to use what hearing they have left and do what they can do with it in a positive way. Others simply cannot derive any benefits from the use of a hearing aid and they go about functioning in a different way.

Are you saying that Shel doesn't use her residual hearing in a positive way?:eek2: Uh, oh!

I think I just detected a case of footinmouthitis, lol.

It would really be nice, Jillio, if you would drop the constant "Let's you and him fight" posts that you put up so often.

Ian sorry but I have absulotely no idea what you are talking about in reference to my post you quoted

Getting back on topic.....Having to read a movie instead of just sitting back and enjoying. Probably why I watch sports so much.....no commentary needed for that

It would really be nice, Jillio, if you would drop the constant "Let's you and him fight" posts that you put up so often.
Not only that. If some of the members, including some of the new ones that may be going through a bit of a rough patch in their lives come along and say something that she wants or needs to hear, she'll reward them with a "Good boy, good boy, here's a cookie..." and try to encourage them to continue having such thoughts.

Last edited:
Back