What are some of the disadvantages of being deaf?

Wirelessly posted

Sounds like for some of the HoH and late-deaf, ignorance is truly bliss. Maybe you're better off pretending Deaf people don't exist?

I actually think it's the other way around that those that are admitting that there are disadvantages to being deaf are actually showing more self confidence. In another word, they are actually being braver and more honest by doing so.

And it's those that "won't give an inch" are the ones that are actually showing more fear by not doing so. Yet, they put up this "brave front" and pretend they don't have any problems and that it's great to be Deaf and all that. Yet, you also often see them going around complaining about how society supposedly treats them or often throw the "A" word around to anything that supposedly doesn't support the Deaf or would try to make others take the more Deaf route on a continious basis as evidenced in AD and all.

IMHO
The past two thousand years the deaf have given inches and been taken for a mile - I refuse to have no part of this.

I know I would have made the same replies. I cannot speak for the others, though.

Wirelessly posted

Not with people being insidious about the supposed exclusiveness of the culture.

I understand your point is, guys. (Maybe it is just me who see this way.) But I notice AD'ers seem to have an issue with the OP... So that is why I asked.

Well, that post was in reference to a thread that was started by an hearing person that was complaining that AD should be basically Deaf related. Thus if you found that post offensive, then you were probably agreeing with the thinking that AD should be Deaf related.

YOUR post was nothing to do with the thread.

Be careful of hyprocrisy here.

You don't get to call out people for their choices, and then in this thread, accuse them of naivety or pollyanna-ism in their choices.

Wirelessly posted

Sounds like for some of the HoH and late-deaf, ignorance is truly bliss. Maybe you're better off pretending Deaf people don't exist?

This is the kind of comment that is so unhelpful and unnecessary. Who are you calling "ignorant?" And why?? We all have our own experiences in life, and we're all talking from the basis of those experiences. Certainly HoH and late-deafened have different experiences than those who have been deaf from birth or childhood.

That doesn't make either group ignorant, or more correctly, you could say each group knows best its own experience.

Isn't this simply a battle between two different groups of people(hoh and Deaf) over the term "deaf"?

The hoh perspective is a waste of time to me, and not all hoh people would benfit from my perspective.

Wirelessly posted

Beach girl said:
Wirelessly posted

This is the kind of comment that is so unhelpful and unnecessary. Who are you calling "ignorant?" And why?? We all have our own experiences in life, and we're all talking from the basis of those experiences. Certainly HoH and late-deafened have different experiences than those who have been deaf from birth or childhood.

That doesn't make either group ignorant, or more correctly, you could say each group knows best its own experience.

Ignorance is a good thing. I still wish I didn't know certain things existed.

But no, my comment is directed to those who feel oppressed by the Deaf culture at large.

Audist perspectives are unnecessary as well, just sayin'

I actually think it's the other way around that those that are admitting that there are disadvantages to being deaf are actually showing more self confidence. In another word, they are actually being braver and more honest by doing so.

And it's those that "won't give an inch" are the ones that are actually showing more fear by not doing so. Yet, they put up this "brave front" and pretend they don't have any problems and that it's great to be Deaf and all that. Yet, you also often see them going around complaining about how society supposedly treats them or often throw the "A" word around to anything that supposedly doesn't support the Deaf or would try to make others take the more Deaf route on a continious basis as evidenced in AD and all.

IMHO

Well, dude.

I don't fear of something. I just tried of dealing with the oppression and that crap. It is so amazing that you don't think there is oppression?? ARE YOU TELLING ME that I just lied to everyone about my experience of hardship because I "pretended of something"?

Uh, gee. Thanks a lot. :roll:

I think so too. Most of this thread that has been useful has been more about "here's a disadvantage, and here is what I do about it." I find that quite useful. There's so much stuff out there; no one has a monopoly on having found all the answers.

Bingo!

Wirelessly posted

Ignorance is a good thing. I still wish I didn't know certain things existed.

But no, my comment is directed to those who feel oppressed by the Deaf culture at large.

I don't think anyone here feel "oppressed by the Deaf culture at large." They just have the differences and druthers.

I agree. Ironically, I think the one person that's probably the most responsible for actually creating the sometime toxic environment in AD is actually an hearing. And that even the deaf / Deaf would probably get along better in the forum if it wasn't for that one person. IMHO.

Who on earth could you be talking about. *Gasp*

BTW there is not much probably to it......it's happened

Hmmmmm. it's not the thread...it's the "poster"...isn't it?....Unfortunately, it's not "your" thread....So, no matter what "he" posts or titles...you're gonna find "fault" with it....nitpicking....:roll:

I believe I was replying to another poster's assertion. Who is nitpicking?:cool2: Check those 3 fingers pointing back.

I wonder, if I create this thread instead of Kokonut, would you say something different, maybe?

Nope. If you had created a thread focusing on the disadvantages of being deaf, I would have said the very same thing. Hasn't got anything to do with Kokonut. He really isn't all that important to the topic.

Well, that post was in reference to a thread that was started by an hearing person that was complaining that AD should be basically Deaf related. Thus if you found that post offensive, then you were probably agreeing with the thinking that AD should be Deaf related.

Then you misinterpreted the meaning of that thread, as well.:cool2:

You certainly are defensive regarding Deaf culture.

Hmm... there are no disadvantages of being deaf unless you think of them as is. Don't let them get to you.

Back