A Hearing Aid thread for Sweetmind

Status
Not open for further replies.
SxyPorkie said:
I am for real... I met Cheri and Angel at the DeafTalk long before I met Sweetmind in her deafchat...I think I am much older than Sweetmind... I have 4 grown up kids and 9 grandkids.... so I am grandma....

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie
sweetmind is grandma too she has 3 daughters.. she's probably close to your age. :whistle:

Sweetmind.. I heard from someone else that you are upset that I am getting a CI.. who cares? Get over it! It is my personal choice and business.. not yours!! :mad:

Gosh I hate when some people gets upset that we get an CI?

I had HA all of my life but my hearing went down.. I can't live without sounds! CI is just a tool to help me hear better plus I have 2 kids.. it would help me alot. I speak.. read lips and signs.

It's nice to be turned off when we go to bed.. swimming.. bath or shower etc ya know? :)

FelixKat930 said:
Sweetmind.. I heard from someone else that you are upset that I am getting a CI.. who cares? Get over it! It is my personal choice and business.. not yours!! :mad:

I had HA all of my life but my hearing went down.. I can't live without sounds! CI is just a tool to help me hear better plus I have 2 kids.. it would help me alot. I speak.. read lips and signs.

It's nice to be turned off when we go to bed.. swimming.. bath or shower etc ya know? :)

Welcome to the club - I know exactly how you feel. When I first got a CI two years ago this week, it was because I wanted to hear my daughters. It sure has improved my communication within my family. I wont let others put me down for my decision. We all have our own lives - no one can judge us unless walk a mile in our shoes.

I felt the same way, too. As I couldn't live w/o ha's 4 over forties y that's becuz I was not born deaf, not like sm didn't wear ha's. There is no way that I couldn't be like her. If I don't wear ha's, I will go crazy and feel like my brain is dead made me sleepy. There is no alive surrounding the sounds. It makes me sad and depressed that's why I do not want to live that way ever since I already know how the sound is like. In every piece of the songs I won't ever forget. It would be always forever mine.

FelixKat930 said:

Well said...

Like you I can't live without hearing sounds and language...been there and done that. It was bad enough for me to wait 2 1/2 weeks between surgery and hookup. I have two kids too and having the ability to hear and communicate with them has been a great blessing.

FelixKat930 said:

I know. First, they say they are fine with adults deciding for themselves to get CI then they get mad when they actually decide to do it. I know I will get twice the flak because of me and my son LOL!

I'm :Owned: :rofl:

FelixKat930 said:

Ingore them! It is very important you happy! :)

FelixKat930 said:

I think someone gave you wrong impression about Sweetmind's feelings... All I know is that she does not agree about having children or babies implanted,, it is ok for adults because they are able to make a choice...

As for me i cannot fathom having children and babies implanted while they are not able to make a choice or decisions,,. It is OK for Adults to have CI and children who are able to make a choice....

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie

Boult said:
sweetmind is grandma too she has 3 daughters.. she's probably close to your age. :whistle:

I think Sweetmind has TWO daughters..thats what she told me..I think she has two grandkids and one is on the way!!

as for me I have one son and three daughters.... two daughters i adopted,,, one of them are deaf.. and my son is HOH...

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie

Eve said:
I do agree that HAs should be covered by health insurance. After all, they cover prosthetics for those missing limbs, why wouldn't they cover HAs? :dunno:

Yup. And, wheelchairs are covered by insurance. It's called "Durable Medical Equipment." Why HA's aren't considered this is beyond me.

It's completely assinine why the deaf have to pay out the rear for HA's when CI's, and all that goes with them, are covered by insurances. Sounds hypocritical to me.

In my opinion CI is like hearing aid implanted!!! perhaps more powerful than hearing aids,,,

SxyPorkie, I can assure you that no single CI user has ever felt that CI is like a HA. No one has. It's not remotely like a hearing aid. Hearing aids amplify the sounds and as a result, sounds sound more muffled while CI doesn't amplify so sounds tend to be clearer and crisper.

neecy said:
I'd like one if it was multi tonal colors like this one: I LOVE the blue!

cochlear.jpg

I want to add - even though this thread was originally started by me to replace the one Sweetmind got upset in because CI's were being discussed, and here we are discussing CI's again - it just goes to show how popular a topic it is!

Sweetmind will love me when I will get this new pretty color red horn inner my ear !

Model%20G%20horn%20outside2.jpg

Kalista said:
Sweetmind will love me when I will get this new pretty color red horn inner my ear !

Model%20G%20horn%20outside2.jpg

ha ha ha that s funny, kalsita! lol...

FelixKat930 said:

Well, I don't what the heck her problem is. Every time I mention you to her, she gets mad. Don't worry; I am still your friend whether or not you choose to get a cochlear implant. :hug:

That's enough bashing out of all of you! Sweetmind and FelixKat930 are BOTH my friends and I care a great deal about BOTH of them.

Sweetmind's complaint is the number of parents who decide to implant their children because of the belief that hearing is necessary to succeed. She cherishes her Deaf identity and KNOWS that deafness isn't an impediment to success. She also does not want to see signing go away either. Personally, we (Sweetmind and I) are sick of people saying the cochlear implant is the perfect solution to deafness. We don't hate those who choose to get implanted, though.

FelixKat930 just wants the CI for HERSELF which is FINE. It is her decision for herself, and she's not telling everyone to get one. She is still very respectful of the Deaf Culture, and she isn't proclaiming that it is the solution for all deaf people. She is a very nice person and very intelligent. (I've talked to her one-on-one many times so I know her pretty well now.)

Again, they are BOTH culturally Deaf and BOTH respect those who respect them, and I care about BOTH of them because they're my friends.

Oceanbreeze said:
Yup. And, wheelchairs are covered by insurance. It's called "Durable Medical Equipment." Why HA's aren't considered this is beyond me.

It's completely assinine why the deaf have to pay out the rear for HA's when CI's, and all that goes with them, are covered by insurances. Sounds hypocritical to me.
I agree; it is totally ridiculous.

But some insurance companies won't even pay for cochlear implants.

gnulinuxman said:
Sweetmind's complaint is the number of parents who decide to implant their children because of the belief that hearing is necessary to succeed.

Personally, we (Sweetmind and I) are sick of people saying the cochlear implant is the perfect solution to deafness.

Ok, let's get to the bottom of this: tell me how we are wrong for implanting our five year old son? We would still implant him if he was three or a year and half old if we knew he wouldn't benefit from his hearing aids.

And where did I, or ANYONE else for that matter, say that cochlear implant is the perfect solution to deafness?

Fragmenter said:
Ok, let's get to the bottom of this: tell me how we are wrong for implanting our five year old son? We would still implant him if he was three or a year and half old if we knew he wouldn't benefit from his hearing aids.

And where did I, or ANYONE else for that matter, say that cochlear implant is the perfect solution to deafness?
And it remained quit.

A little short story... (fiction?)
"Since the answer could only incriminate the persons involved, the decision was not to respond and to ignore. This worked in history and will work again....."

u know some of them have different opinions on how early u can have the child ci and be able to success .. the languages and speech skills would greatly be improved and be able to interact with other kids.

if it was for me.. i wouldnt mind having my child ci in order for the child to success and be able to hear but yet still be involved with deaf culture no matter what cuz we know ci is not a cure! its just a tool to be able to hear?? nothing wrong???

just like when few hours old baby have heart operation? u say no heart operation then the baby will die.. same concept.. so whats the difference between no ci and no heart?? sighs..

gnulinuxman said:
TPersonally, we (Sweetmind and I) are sick of people saying the cochlear implant is the perfect solution to deafness. We don't hate those who choose to get implanted, though.

Will you show who said that CI's are a perfect solution to deafness? I know I never did, nor Cloggy/Boult/R2D2/ or anybody else on this forum who has a CI or a child with a CI. Where do you get off making this kind of blanket statement when we've repeatedly said there are limitations and even had a thread showing the limitations and negative effects CI's can have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back