A Hearing Aid thread for Sweetmind

Status
Not open for further replies.
SxyPorkie said:
Thats why i am very much against having CI implanted in babies and toddlers... the parents should wait until their kids is old enough to make a choice to have it or not.. what more most parents are very selfish or being ashamed of a deaf child... no signing allowed... she or he has to speak.. in other word they are oral..

Thanks..
SxyPorkie

I can understand your feelings about children/babies being implanted earlier, but I don't understand why you feel the needed to say those parents who implants their children/babies CI are being selfish or feeling ashamed of having a deaf child ? What's so wrong with wanting a deaf child to hear or speak?

Cheri said:
...............What ever happened to agree to disagree........?
For that both parties have to listen to each other and not ignore the other parties information. Agreeing to disagree is not an option when information is incorrect.

People with a preference for CI here are most of the time correcting misinformation. And not just once, the same misinformation is rought up 2 days later.

For example, take the arguments brought up why to operate as early as possible. All information to support it is ignored by people against CI for toddlers...
And I understant why... because the arguments they have are emotional. And emotional arguments do not mix well with rational arguments.

From my point of view, having a strong focus on hearing and understanding speach, that means that due to emotional arguments, possibilities for deaf children are reduced or even taken away.

Cheri said:
No CI-related commentary? I just knew that line was so full of shit, because that's all you guys do is bring up Cochlear Implants in every discussion. Why aren't I so surprised, because I'm not. You, people argue along yourselves over the CI issue. The bickering makes it tough, that's what I've been reading in this thread and else where. I don't understand why all the bickering has to continued? What ever happened to agree to disagree without bringing one down or even naming a member?
You took Neecy's topic-starter, but Neecy didn't start bringing CI up in this thread. It was here
that someone started about it and it was not a discussion. Also, here it was allready commented upon.

Hope to see more of you because I enjoy your posts.

^Angel^ said:
I can understand your feelings about children/babies being implanted earlier, but I don't understand why you feel the needed to say those parents who implants their children/babies CI are being selfish or feeling ashamed of having a deaf child ? What's so wrong with wanting a deaf child to hear or speak?
Wanting a kid to be different == not accepting the way the kid already is.

gnulinuxman said:
Wanting a kid to be different == not accepting the way the kid already is.

Wanting a kid to communicate as many ways as possible == giving said kid a full toolbox

ismi said:
Wanting a kid to communicate as many ways as possible == giving said kid a full toolbox
True.

However, I was answering ^Angel^'s post, which didn't have to do with this.

Definitely not Harlan Lane said:
Tell the mothers I said, "Help your child; you are the adult, you bear the burden of resposibility to give the child all the possibilities life can give"
:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back