A Hearing Aid thread for Sweetmind

Status
Not open for further replies.

neecy

Reaction score
Since she got so upset that CI's were brought up in her "Evidence of being deaf with HA" thread, I'm resurrecting it as a HA-only subject matter thread for her to discuss her perceptions of HA's.

See? I'm not a total bitch, even if I'm an "audie"

so - debate HA's to your heart's content. NO CI-related commentary.

LMAO I hate HAs. They rub my ears raw. The sound is unnatural. There is no/little tuning out background noise for differentiation. And yet, I still see the need for them in some instances.

There, HAPPY? :whistle:

I have HA since I was 12. It was one at first, then two, and with two it is much better.
I see a huge difference in hearing with and w/o my HAs.

Since I was growing up in hearing world I am trained to "hear" pretty well.

So well that I recognize what is being said to me w/o my hearing aids when spoken directly into my ear, up close.

I can't imagine living w/o HAs.

Fuzzy

hearing aids made my headache and dizzy horrible. I hate the hearing aids, it is not helpful for me to hear the words. I only heard people giggled and the phone rang which drove me a nuts.

Kalista said:
hearing aids made my headache and dizzy horrible. I hate the hearing aids, it is not helpful for me to hear the words. I only heard people giggled and the phone rang which drove me a nuts.

I bet your cats' meowing and purring gets on your nerves and makes you want to choke them.

I wore HAs almost my entire life starting around 3yrs old (when my parents realized that I was deaf). They were great and I could function pretty well in the hearing world. My only complaints were that HAs became very costly (they were cost wise fairly static and inexpensive for years until the 90s) and that they weren't waterproof. I loved the fact I could take it off and sleep without any sound interruption. :thumb:

Oh I forgot, I hated getting new molds too...

Ultimately, my hearing decreased to the point I had to become a 'borg (not complaining as it works for me!).

I haven't wear HA for 20 years since Public Healthy Insurance support CI to HA. I have to buy batteries for HA by my own pocket and if I want CI then Public Health Insurance support 100%, no matter what.

I have to pay myself if I want to renew hearing aid which it's not right. I wish Public Health Insurance treat CI and HA users fair. *sigh*

Fragmenter said:
I bet your cats' meowing and purring gets on your nerves and makes you want to choke them.

:lol: I wish, I could hear their purrr and meow. I only feel their bodies purr when I pat and hug them. I saw their mouth open and close "meow" to get my attention and affectionation. ;)

Kalista said:
:lol: I wish, I could hear their purrr and meow. I only feel their bodies purr when I pat and hug them. I saw their mouth open and close "meow" to get my attention and affectionation. ;)

Very true :lol:

I haven't wear HA for 20 years since Public Healthy Insurance support CI to HA. I have to buy batteries for HA by my own pocket and if I want CI then Public Health Insurance support 100%, no matter what.

I have to pay myself if I want to renew hearing aid which it's not right. I wish Public Health Insurance treat CI and HA users fair. *sigh*

You're not wearing them because you would have to pay for them?
All my life I have to pay for all my devices out of my own pocket, there is no coverage for these things in BC Canada unless you are on social assistance.

But, everything including batteries maybe used as tax exemption when you file Income Tax. There is a limit though how much you can claim.

Fuzzy

but where is Sweetmind :dunno: this thread is for her?? :dunno:

Audiofuzzy said:
but where is Sweetmind :dunno: this thread is for her?? :dunno:

Your guess is as good as mine. She had a tantrum that "HER" HA thread was destoryed by audists and people talking about CI's..and yet when I told her I remade the thread for her with the explicit request no CI -related talk she complained I was "telling her what to do."

There's NO reasoning with that woman.

So..anyway..

I wore aids for 20 years, but the benefit (hearing wise) was minimal, I think the biggest benefit was that even *some* sound was better than none at all, after I lost my hearing. It was a security blanket of sorts.

My hubby have not made his decision about planning ci .. which he took a hearing test today... and qualitfy ci for him.. He shocked.. and wasn't expecting that getting plan ci.. Just want hearing aid.. that simple..

I told him.. his choice.. not mine.. as long I willing be open and supporting him.. He still struggle his head have not made his decision.. REASON WHY he wanted promption his job for Team Leader Member... since he applied a job for 5 yrs and have not made promption yet.. *still battle his head not making decision wiser yet*

GalaxyAngel said:
My hubby have not made his decision about planning ci .. which he took a hearing test today... and qualitfy ci for him.. He shocked.. and wasn't expecting that getting plan ci.. Just want hearing aid.. that simple..

I told him.. his choice.. not mine.. as long I willing be open and supporting him.. He still struggle his head have not made his decision.. REASON WHY he wanted promption his job for Team Leader Member... since he applied a job for 5 yrs and have not made promption yet.. *still battle his head not making decision wiser yet*

Wow. I'm proud of your husband! Make sure your husband doesn't rush his decision with CI.

Personally, the last week has been enlightening for me... I've always been against CI for 25 years but now I'm interested lol... I can't say a simple word to save my life but I wouldn't mind just hearing sounds!

well there you go :) no thread can last long w/o the CI subject :)
I don't mind though.

Please remember - you are still deaf with CI. CI just help to hear you better than regular HA or if your hearing deteriorated so much so regular HAs does not help anymore.

I think a job is enough important reason to think it over. he can always be "just deaf" at home.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy, Yes He still be always DEAF all the time.. knows about it.. but not sure made his decision due reason his job.. He still working as Post Wax Dept for 7 yrs and wanted promation his job as postion for Team Leader Member due he experienced Champ Line who take over Team Leader member for temporary 6 mos.. already been there.. so wanted take promption.. due reason how can he hear sounds alike "Alarm buzz and other sound whistle" Barely he hears due too loud noise enivorment at the factory plant. Only the way ci can help pick up the sounds frequecy distance coming from... He doesn't mind at all but wasn't expect that staff explained him you're qualifty CI.. not even think about planning ci.. only purposed to get hearing aids that's all...

Right now, he still mixed his feelings being "ci" would love to "HEAR sounds" not need anything alike perfect voice talk picked up the sound talk.. not meant that.. just want HEAR sound that is it.. He said I'm way Deaf still on!
That's all I know what he told me this afternoon.. I don't care as long he's decision.. not mine..
I'll be always his husband peroid!

It is difficult decision, yes, needs to be thought over very carefully.
On the other hand, possible financial benefits from better job...?

what's important to him, to you?

It's tough, I know.. let me know what you have decided.. I am most curious :)

Just wanted to let you know that I would not consider it a "betrayal" of some sort. mainly because who is gonna give your husband this job, and a salary involved?

Fuzzy

Fragmenter said:
Wow. I'm proud of your husband! Make sure your husband doesn't rush his decision with CI.

Personally, the last week has been enlightening for me... I've always been against CI for 25 years but now I'm interested lol... I can't say a simple word to save my life but I wouldn't mind just hearing sounds!

your wife must be very thrilled to have you hear her osgrams with your new cochlear implants. :whistle:

GalaxyAngel said:
Fuzzy, Yes He still be always DEAF all the time.. knows about it.. but not sure made his decision due reason his job.. He still working as Post Wax Dept for 7 yrs and wanted promation his job as postion for Team Leader Member due he experienced Champ Line who take over Team Leader member for temporary 6 mos.. already been there.. so wanted take promption.. due reason how can he hear sounds alike "Alarm buzz and other sound whistle" Barely he hears due too loud noise enivorment at the factory plant. Only the way ci can help pick up the sounds frequecy distance coming from... He doesn't mind at all but wasn't expect that staff explained him you're qualifty CI.. not even think about planning ci.. only purposed to get hearing aids that's all...

Right now, he still mixed his feelings being "ci" would love to "HEAR sounds" not need anything alike perfect voice talk picked up the sound talk.. not meant that.. just want HEAR sound that is it.. He said I'm way Deaf still on!
That's all I know what he told me this afternoon.. I don't care as long he's decision.. not mine..
but is he getting a better hearing aid to try first?

You mean you will be always his wife. ;) That is his choice to make since he is an adult that I can respect that.

OOps I wish I never posted this topic .. I got the wrong place here.. Oh well!

Good bye! it is so worthless topic here..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back