A Hearing Aid thread for Sweetmind

Status
Not open for further replies.
ButterflyGirl said:
greema, I am NOTHING like Sweetmind at all.
I don't go around preaching like Sweetmind does. Have you seen me doing that? You do not know me well enough but in time you will :)

BTW, I was in the same shoes as you were with going to an oral school and then going to another school without an interpreter for a while.

Glad you're not like her! And no, I haven't seen you preaching like S.M. and it is because I "saw" you for the first time yesterday (was that only yesterday?) (boy, time flies!)
Yes entered public school in the 6th grade and graduated from high school 6 years later without an interpreter too! You're saying "another school" -- would that be hearing school like me?
Have a good evening.

neecy said:
Have you ever considered a career in public speaking? Your reply left me shaking my head in amazement ... you are able to convey so well exactly what I've felt for years!!! I applaud you and hope that everybody reads your post and tries to see things "from the other side."

KUDOS to you for a fantastic post!!!! :cheers:

Neecy, glad I was able to convey that -- and public speaking? Uhm... Well actually I have participated in the Deaf Awareness Week at work and I have given some speeches on things such as deaf history, etc.
I know I am going to get some flak for my personal opinions but it does not matter; as long as it "hits" the Deaf so that they'd stop and think and think and think... They're only hurting themselves and me and my family in the process because we're lumped along with them (which I don't want to happen!)...

neecy said:
Have you ever considered a career in public speaking? Your reply left me shaking my head in amazement ... you are able to convey so well exactly what I've felt for years!!! I applaud you and hope that everybody reads your post and tries to see things "from the other side."

KUDOS to you for a fantastic post!!!! :cheers:

Yes yes yes I agreed with you. Fragmenter is very lucky that he have very supportive mom..

Way to go Mom! :) and try that what neecy said.. if you have nothing else to do and wanted to find something new.. go for it.. :)

Great post Greema you said it all beautifully!

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
Great post Greema you said it all beautifully!

Fuzzy
Profound thoughts like that deserve a topic on their own..

Go on greema...

greema said:
Yes entered public school in the 6th grade and graduated from high school 6 years later without an interpreter too! You're saying "another school" -- would that be hearing school like me?
Have a good evening.
Yes, it was a hearing school that I went to. After 3 years in there I decided to go into a deaf school and that was when I first learnt to sign (I was 14). While I was in the hearing school I would get so frustrated with being able to understand some teachers while they were lecturing. Some would forget that I am there and they would turn their heads around. Also some of the teachers would talk too fast making it impossible for me to lip-read them. My world has changed for better after I learnt to sign because I was able to understand all of the teachers and also my new deaf friends :)

during my mainstreaming years from elementary to high school, all of my teachers used overhead projector (so that means she/he has to sit and face the class, easy for me) and I had a notetakers. no interpreters at all. The only teacher that frustrate me is my science teacher at high school, Mrs Baker, who never face the class. she always walk all over the room so I can't follow but at least I have a notetaker. I barely pass this teacher's class. Other science classes under different teachers, I pass with good grade. :dunno:

Boult said:
during my mainstreaming years from elementary to high school, all of my teachers used overhead projector (so that means she/he has to sit and face the class, easy for me) and I had a notetakers. no interpreters at all. The only teacher that frustrate me is my science teacher at high school, Mrs Baker, who never face the class. she always walk all over the room so I can't follow but at least I have a notetaker. I barely pass this teacher's class. Other science classes under different teachers, I pass with good grade. :dunno:
Yea, it really depends on how much patience a teacher and a notetaker has. Some of my teachers were really nice and patience with me but some others weren't. I also had a problem with my Science teacher. I never forget the day when he turned around and I looked away from him to look out the window and know what he said to me when he saw me looking away from him? He insulted me in front of the class that he'd put a horse blinder on me to prevent me from looking away from him. Gee I should have given him a kick in his balls lol :giggle: This was the only class that I always had a bad grade in.

I admit while growing up oral and being in the hearing world, I wanted so badly to be able to hear but after I got involved in the deaf world I was more happier. I think I would have considered in getting a CI if I hadn't gotten myself into the deaf world.

ButterflyGirl said:
Yea, it really depends on how much patience a teacher and a notetaker has. Some of my teachers were really nice and patience with me but some others weren't. I also had a problem with my Science teacher. I never forget the day when he turned around and I looked away from him to look out the window and know what he said to me when he saw me looking away from him? He insulted me in front of the class that he'd put a horse blinder on me to prevent me from looking away from him. Gee I should have given him a kick in his balls lol :giggle: This was the only class that I always had a bad grade in.

I admit while growing up oral and being in the hearing world, I wanted so badly to be able to hear but after I got involved in the deaf world I was more happier. I think I would have considered in getting a CI if I hadn't gotten myself into the deaf world.
well I have been in both world growing up.. I been to different type of schools. (see my list of schools I went to in other thread) deaf world or not, I researched and got it and I told myself if my kids are born deaf, I would consider getting them implanted so they can face hearing world headon than put them in special education school like I have been to all my life. So the end result of my kids in the future would be whole lot better than mine and that would make me more proud.

I have good friends who are deaf and use ASL purely that comes from hearing family. I see where they are now and I told myself If I got CI a year after I was born (that is if the ci technology was advanced in 60's just a if) then I won't be where I am at right now. I probably would have gone on owning a business or working my way up the corporate ladder.

So would it be nice if our future deaf kids are equipped with latest technology in CI and they are far better than our previous kids? We will see less struggles. We will see less of "never mind" or "shocked face when found out he/she is deaf" Oh well :dunno:

Of course it is entirely up to parent to make decision and be involved in the processes. I have heard some parent wishing that they could get more involved in their kid's deaf education but they can't because they are sent off to residential schools. So with CI, it get them more involved and more bonded with their kids. (I am not believer in residential schools I have seen enough).

Ok, enough for now....

Boult said:
well I have been in both world growing up.. I been to different type of schools. (see my list of schools I went to in other thread) deaf world or not, I researched and got it and I told myself if my kids are born deaf, I would consider getting them implanted so they can face hearing world headon than put them in special education school like I have been to all my life. So the end result of my kids in the future would be whole lot better than mine and that would make me more proud.
When you say special education, did you mean you were put in special education classes? I was never in any special education classes as I was in normal classes. Of course, it is your decision if you want to implant your deaf kids but you know not every deaf child is a candidate for a CI.

I have good friends who are deaf and use ASL purely that comes from hearing family. I see where they are now and I told myself If I got CI a year after I was born (that is if the ci technology was advanced in 60's just a if) then I won't be where I am at right now. I probably would have gone on owning a business or working my way up the corporate ladder.
I know there are some non CI'ers who have their own businesses but I guess it really depends on what kind of business you are wishing for. If you are doing something to work your way up the ladder (I don't know if you are) then I want to wish you all the best of luck. You seem to be an intelligent person and it shouldn't stop you from getting what you want :)

So would it be nice if our future deaf kids are equipped with latest technology in CI and they are far better than our previous kids? We will see less struggles. We will see less of "never mind" or "shocked face when found out he/she is deaf" Oh well :dunno:
Yea that would be nice but again not every CI implant works. It works great for some deaf kids but not for some others. Yea, I know what you mean about these "never minds" and the shocked looks on their faces but hey these people are the kinds who are ignorant.

Of course it is entirely up to parent to make decision and be involved in the processes. I have heard some parent wishing that they could get more involved in their kid's deaf education but they can't because they are sent off to residential schools. So with CI, it get them more involved and more bonded with their kids. (I am not believer in residential schools I have seen enough).

Ok, enough for now....
You are right that it is up to the parents to make their own decisions. I have heard some parents saying they wished they didn't implant their deaf child because it did not work. It comes from both ways. I see a lot parents bond and involve with their deaf kids with or without a CI. It really depends on what kind parents they are.
Same with me, I dislike residential schools YUCK. No family bondings in these schools :( I'd rather to go to a local mainstreamed school or a local deaf school. I have 2 hearing children and if they happened to be deaf I would not send them to a residential school.

By the way, great to have gotten to know you a little better :)

ButterflyGirl said:
When you say special education, did you mean you were put in special education classes? I was never in any special education classes as I was in normal classes. Of course, it is your decision if you want to implant your deaf kids but you know not every deaf child is a candidate for a CI.
No, not during my mainstreaming years, nope, I was in "inclusion" mode.
I was referring to my "growing up" means pre-elementary years :) anyway when I say special education school, I mean deaf or oral deaf residential school (even any day deaf or oral deaf school by means of commuting.) They are classified as special education according to school board in some states.

I don't know but maybe it is a surprise to you about that if you look at Google result of this simple question; "is residential deaf school a special education?"
http://www.google.com/search?q=is residential deaf school a special education?

ButterflyGirl said:
I know there are some non CI'ers who have their own businesses but I guess it really depends on what kind of business you are wishing for. If you are doing something to work your way up the ladder (I don't know if you are) then I want to wish you all the best of luck. You seem to be an intelligent person and it shouldn't stop you from getting what you want :)
I am currently self-employed.

ButterflyGirl said:
Yea that would be nice but again not every CI implant works. It works great for some deaf kids but not for some others. Yea, I know what you mean about these "never minds" and the shocked looks on their faces but hey these people are the kinds who are ignorant.
I know that CI is not for everyone and they have to go thru screening process to qualify or not. But once CI technologies are improved over the years the qualification process get simplified. 5+plus yrs ago, It was strictly for profound bilateral hearing loss not for those with mild to severe. Now some qualification has changed (via FDA approval) it has expanded the criteria to accept mild to profound bilateral hearing loss depending on the test. (for example if the extreme loss is in high frequency range greater than 90db . just a example but not exact info here. It depends on surgeon and Audiologist though)

ButterflyGirl said:
You are right that it is up to the parents to make their own decisions. I have heard some parents saying they wished they didn't implant their deaf child because it did not work. It comes from both ways. I see a lot parents bond and involve with their deaf kids with or without a CI. It really depends on what kind parents they are.
Same with me, I dislike residential schools YUCK. No family bondings in these schools :( I'd rather to go to a local mainstreamed school or a local deaf school. I have 2 hearing children and if they happened to be deaf I would not send them to a residential school.
I have met and have come across lots of stories but haven't heard one instance where parents wished they didn't. I only heard stories where kids wished that their parent didn't. (believe me, I have scoured the net for negative result from parent.. none... even in person either)

Anyway speaking of bond, Yeah some deaf kids do bond with their parent that's because they were "day school" student and not living in a residential school though. I have been both "day school" and "residential" student and I prefer the previous than the latter like you too.

Again, I will not send my future deaf kids (if they happen to be deaf) to special education school (you already saw my explanation above :D ) I will make my efforts to get my future kids mainstreamed in inclusive environment as possible as I can.

ButterflyGirl said:
By the way, great to have gotten to know you a little better :)
:)

ButterflyGirl said:

My wife felt happier when she met more deaf people but she still wants a CI when she can't benefit from her hearing aids. It is totally OK if you want to hear well and still participate in the deaf world.

Fragmenter said:
My wife felt happier when she met more deaf people but she still wants a CI when she can't benefit from her hearing aids. It is totally OK if you want to hear well and still participate in the deaf world.
That is great for your wife. I was just speaking about myself.
I do know that it is perfectly okay if I want to hear well and still participate in the deaf world but it is that I have no desire to get a CI even though I am qualified to get one.

Mod Edit: unneccessary title removed

{Mod Edit: unneccessary comment removed}

Well, I love hearing aids, but not strong enough as CI does, I can careless about CI. I have old hearing aids, brand is Phonak and we got for free from Marines in 1991.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boult said:
I don't know but maybe it is a surprise to you about that if you look at Google result of this simple question; "is residential deaf school a special education?"
http://www.google.com/search?q=is residential deaf school a special education?
Interesting on how some people see deaf schools as special education. For me, special education is when special classes are offered for those who have learning disabilites. Every each school, whether it is for hearing, deaf, blind or whatever, has special education classes.

I have met and have come across lots of stories but haven't heard one instance where parents wished they didn't. I only heard stories where kids wished that their parent didn't. (believe me, I have scoured the net for negative result from parent.. none... even in person either)
Actually I have. A few years ago I used to work as a youth worker with deaf kids and I met a parent of one of the kids who had a CI. This kid's CI did not work out for him and the parent expressed her feelings out to me about wishing she did not have her kid implanted while he was a baby. It made me wonder if there are any other parents out there who feel the same way as this parent did :dunno:

ButterflyGirl said:
Interesting on how some people see deaf schools as special education. For me, special education is when special classes are offered for those who have learning disabilites. Every each school, whether it is for hearing, deaf, blind or whatever, has special education classes.

Actually I have. A few years ago I used to work as a youth worker with deaf kids and I met a parent of one of the kids who had a CI. This kid's CI did not work out for him and the parent expressed her feelings out to me about wishing she did not have her kid implanted while he was a baby. It made me wonder if there are any other parents out there who feel the same way as this parent did :dunno:

I understand what you are talking about CI in children.... I had met teenager few times in the past... she had CI implanted as she was just a toddler... now she is very unhappy... she said she is stuck between hearing and deaf worlds.. I asked her what she meant?? She said that she could not hear very well with CI.. and her parents forced her to speak and she was not allowed to use ASL... she learned ASL anyway on sly.. meeting other deafies.. ... In a way she feels that she is being shunned by hearies and deafies...

Thats why i am very much against having CI implanted in babies and toddlers... the parents should wait until their kids is old enough to make a choice to have it or not.. what more most parents are very selfish or being ashamed of a deaf child... no signing allowed... she or he has to speak.. in other word they are oral..

Thanks..
SxyPorkie

SxyPorkie said:
I understand what you are talking about CI in children.... I had met teenager few times in the past... she had CI implanted as she was just a toddler... now she is very unhappy... she said she is stuck between hearing and deaf worlds.. I asked her what she meant?? She said that she could not hear very well with CI.. and her parents forced her to speak and she was not allowed to use ASL... she learned ASL anyway on sly.. meeting other deafies.. ... In a way she feels that she is being shunned by hearies and deafies...

Thats why i am very much against having CI implanted in babies and toddlers... the parents should wait until their kids is old enough to make a choice to have it or not.. what more most parents are very selfish or being ashamed of a deaf child... no signing allowed... she or he has to speak.. in other word they are oral..

Thanks..
SxyPorkie
Still haven't read anything - have we..

SxyPorkie said:
I understand what you are talking about regarding CI in children.... I have met a teenager a few times in the past... she had CI implanted awhen she was just a toddler... now she is very unhappy... she said she is stuck between hearing and deaf worlds.. I asked her what she meant?? She said that she could not hear very well with CI.. and her parents forced her to speak and she was not allowed to use ASL... she learned ASL anyway on sly.. meeting other deafies.. ... In a way she feels that she is being shunned by hearies and deafies...

That's why I am very much against having CI implanted in babies and toddlers... the parents should wait until their kids is kids are or kid is old enough to make a choice to have it or not.. Even more, more most parents are very selfish or are ashamed of a deaf child... no signing allowed... she or he has to speak.. in other word they are oral..

Thanks..
SxyPorkie
Took the liberty of correcting your posts as well.
I'm sure you appreciate this.

I hope this is what you tried to tell.

Cloggy said:
Took the liberty of correcting your posts as well.
I'm sure you appreciate this.

I hope this is what you tried to tell.

You're FUNNY...LOL
Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back