A Hearing Aid thread for Sweetmind

Status
Not open for further replies.
gnulinuxman said:
Also, how do you CIers who don't sign communicate when you have to take off your processors? (because you can't really write when swimming, for example)

Lip reading, "home sign", gesturing, pointing, "wait until I get out of the pool, then tell me". I can't hear to communicate without my hearing aids, especially wearing ear plugs (my ear drums aren't intact, so I have to use them when showering or swimming, or when my hair is wet afterwards).

In other words, the same way they did when they used hearing aids but had to take them out, or had them malfunction. Hasn't this been explained before?

gnulinuxman said:
Thank you, sr171soars, for stating this. It is the reason I don't want one if I lose my hearing.
What I am also concerned about is the deaf kids who get implanted but receive no benefit from the implant at all. There are some like that. Also, how do you CIers who don't sign communicate when you have to take off your processors? (because you can't really write when swimming, for example)

That is not a good reason not to have one. You take what you can get when life serves you a curveball and be thankful for it. But I will say also each to their own.

As for communicating, it is no different than when I had my HA in the past. As like a HA you do with CI. You use lipreading and other cues to do the trick. If you have to, you put the CI back on and go from there...nothing new under the sun.

Also, how do you CIers who don't sign communicate when you have to take off your processors? (because you can't really write when swimming, for example)

I am not CI-er but I can tell you how I may communicate with my family without my HAs.
They sure know two sign words- 'tea' and 'yes'.
That is because I MUST have my tea with milk in the morning, and especially when I recover from migraine episode. I am too weak to speak then so I sign "tea".
They get it :). Or if they want to know they sign " tea"? and I sign back "yes". :)

My daughter also know "water", "no", maybe something else I am not sure, and a fingerspelling. I know it too but I keep forgetting some letters.

I am hardly ever in situation when complete understanding is a must, so I usually sense how important is the speech.
It is possible by knowing body language well, and I am sure everyone knows their family's body pretty well.
So I estimate if whatever is being said is important or not very, and then either figure out things by a few catchphrases i.e "friend.... mall.. money.." -then I know it means I will have to drive her (me kid) somewhere, or her and her friends to the mall maybe, plus she sure will need money.

The bottom line is: friend+ mall = me +car = drive
who, where, when, what does it matter :)

If this seem to be important I make them talk to me slowly, clearly and with clear lip. Or directly into my ear. Or they can write.

If I ever happen to me in the public -like my Has fails me for some reason- I would write and ask to write back.

Once, when I was young I was travelling by a train. There was an announcement over the speakers I couldn't understand, but I had a feeling it's about my train. So I quickly asked the lady who was passing me by-" 'scuse me I can't hear well could you please repeat what they just said?" she did I lip read and learned my train is leaving form platfrom XYZ and I got there in time!

There si always a way albeit more complicated. Definitely not a reason to avoid CI or HAs.

And a BIG HEARTFELT THANK YOU to all those who complimented me on my English achievements. I aprecciate it all the more because I know you peeps know better than any hearie how HARD it is. Thank you :)

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
I And a BIG HEARTFELT THANK YOU to all those who complimented me on my English achievements. I aprecciate it all the more because I know you peeps know better than any hearie how HARD it is. Thank you :)

Fuzzy

Wait a minute! You're not from USA, too? Wow!

Why can't ALL deaf people read and write English as well as you guys? Woe is me :tears:

Fragmenter said:

Why can't ALL deaf people read and write English as well as you guys? Woe is me :tears:
Poland... Yeh, she mastered it!

Thank you Cloggy :)

I am Polish but I leave in Canada for over 20 years now.
recently I am in BC. Guess that makes me Polish- Canadian.
Pretty soon judging by the years here and there and my attitude I'll be more Canadian than Polish :)

Since long I feel more Canadian at heart anyway :)

Fuzzy

You know what? I think the reason why some deaf people don't write good english due to them not reading enough books? I read alots of books and continue to this day. That may explain why??

Or another is that they don't try hard enough to understand mainly play around and not learn the English language?

I am not putting them down but I just ponder on this? sighs!

SmileyGin said:
You know what? I think the reason why some deaf people don't write good english due to them not reading enough books? I read alots of books and continue to this day. That may explain why??

Or another is that they don't try hard enough to understand mainly play around and not learn the English language?

I am not putting them down but I just ponder on this? sighs!
This could be a stretch, but perhaps Not being able to write good english might just show everybody how much you love ASL and Deaf culture..
I'm sure this would be valid for very few people, but there could be a point here.

Learning a different language is done quickest when reading the language as well. I did that learning enlich, german and norwegian, so I would expect that for someone growing up with ASL only, the same would apply.
(And there's plenty of material around.)

Cloggy
This could be a stretch, but perhaps Not being able to write good english might just show everybody how much you love ASL and Deaf culture

Feels like a stretch to me. :)

Cloggy said:
This could be a stretch, but perhaps Not being able to write good english might just show everybody how much you love ASL and Deaf culture..
I'm sure this would be valid for very few people, but there could be a point here.

Learning a different language is done quickest when reading the language as well. I did that learning enlich, german and norwegian, so I would expect that for someone growing up with ASL only, the same would apply.
(And there's plenty of material around.)

My mom encouraged me to write journals and read alot of books and be challenged in general subjects. I can remember back to the times when I was in school- I would notice that I would be reading books and others just play around and watch tv. I don't know why I never notice this before? ha.

The idea of lousy English just popped up in my mind and it just dumbfounded me why they blame it on Deaf Education but really it's them who are not trying hard enough? Using ASL or basic sign language- what does that have to do with learning english? Blaming and pointing fingers at for not knowing English just because you didn't learn ASL? I didn't learn ASL till later. Like you said it could be a stretch.

I want to explain about me and my background to help understand where I am coming from. I was born deaf due to rubella or O RH problems but raised hoh with HA in a hearing family. I learned to talk before I learned to sign. Eventually I did learn to use sign language at the age of 2 yrs but with total communication. (My sister learned to sign before she learn to talk ha ha but she doesn't use ASL?)

Yes I did went to school for the deaf and graduated from there. I do use PSE, mostly. I know I am deaf and do love it but I still love music and can understand words to it. Oh yes, the sounds of the life around me especially in the country. You can hear animals's noises, crickets sung, frogs croaked looking for mates and so on. Indeed, beautiful sounds! What is wrong with hearing those beautiful sounds? I don't get this? :(

So basically I wouldn't mind getting a CI as I am sure it will help me hear more CLEARLY than the HA does? My son's father said he doesn't have headaches ever since he got CI turned on? I do always get headaches from the HA? I am sensitive to loud sounds as I already can hear the loud sounds even without HA? ugh. I hate that!

Know what? I am still learning ASL. Sometimes it is hard to understand some signs but some I could understand. I think ASL is a beautiful language but I still prefer to use English as it is our language here in USA? Also easy to communicate and writing English language with other hearing people the less the confusion it will be. Like I said it is my opinion. I am sure others will disagree with me on this. Ha. :)

SmileyGin said:
So basically I wouldn't mind getting a CI as I am sure it will help me hear more CLEARLY than the HA does? My son's father said he doesn't have headaches ever since he got CI turned on? I do always get headaches from the HA? I am sensitive to loud sounds as I already can hear the loud sounds even without HA? ugh. I hate that!

Know what? I am still learning ASL. Sometimes it is hard to understand some signs but some I could understand. I think ASL is a beautiful language but I still prefer to use English as it is our language here in USA? Also easy to communicate and writing English language with other hearing people the less the confusion it will be. Like I said it is my opinion. I am sure others will disagree with me on this. Ha. :)
From what I've read, and from my own aexperience using 3 languages every day, it is the concentration that could trigger the headaches.
This would be evident when headaches are more often in the afternoon after a day of intense communication.
For me, in a day with a lot of stress, meeting in norwegian, then english, taking with the family in dutch, a headache is not uncommon.

In one of the books I read - "Wired for sound: a journey into hearing." (Biderman, B. (1998). Toronto, CA: Trifolium Books Inc.) the writer noticed how her headaches reduced because communication with her usual tools (lipreading, HA) was so much easier with the CI.

Have you you read it? Worth the read!

Fragmenter said:

I am not surprised at all... I suspected that Fuzzy was not an american... she mentioned "realise"... I assumed that she probably is from UK somewhere,,, An american would state " realize"... now it is confirmed that she is polish-canadian...

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie

SmileyGin said:
My mom encouraged me to write journals and read alot of books and be challenged in general subjects. I can remember back to the times when I was in school- I would notice that I would be reading books and others just play around and watch tv. I don't know why I never notice this before? ha.

The idea of lousy English just popped up in my mind and it just dumbfounded me why they blame it on Deaf Education but really it's them who are not trying hard enough? Using ASL or basic sign language- what does that have to do with learning english? Blaming and pointing fingers at for not knowing English just because you didn't learn ASL? I didn't learn ASL till later. Like you said it could be a stretch.

I want to explain about me and my background to help understand where I am coming from. I was born deaf due to rubella or O RH problems but raised hoh with HA in a hearing family. I learned to talk before I learned to sign. Eventually I did learn to use sign language at the age of 2 yrs but with total communication. (My sister learned to sign before she learn to talk ha ha but she doesn't use ASL?)

Yes I did went to school for the deaf and graduated from there. I do use PSE, mostly. I know I am deaf and do love it but I still love music and can understand words to it. Oh yes, the sounds of the life around me especially in the country. You can hear animals's noises, crickets sung, frogs croaked looking for mates and so on. Indeed, beautiful sounds! What is wrong with hearing those beautiful sounds? I don't get this? :(

Your life is ALMOST similar with mine,, except i am from the deaf family,,, I did had migraines when i wore two HAs,,, I quit wearing them 5 yrs now,, migraines comes less and less,,, I do not want to be implanted with CI,, even tho' i was candidate,,,,

It is ok for deaf or deaf latenend adults to get CI but I dont believe having babies and kids implanted,, they could not make their own decision or choice,,,, I prefer for them to make a choice when they are growing up and want CI.. thats fine.... all parents SHOULD wait until their own kids be readied making their own decisions or choices,,

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie

SxyPorkie said:
It is ok for deaf or deaf latenend adults to get CI but I dont believe having babies and kids implanted,, they could not make their own decision or choice,,,, I prefer for them to make a choice when they are growing up and want CI.. thats fine.... all parents SHOULD wait until their own kids be readied making their own decisions or choices,,

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie
Just to inform you. Our decision to implant our daughter at 2 years of age was beased on research with results like this:
Word recognition.jpg

(More info HERE)

For parents within a hearing environment the goal is to have as much benefit as possible from the CI. After all, it's a huge investment (not even talking about money) so the results should be as good as possible as well.
For some parents that are in a deaf environment, it's allready fine if CI will help a little bit. And that is the result when you wait longer until the child can make it's own decision.

Cloggy said:
Just to inform you. Our decision to implant our daughter at 2 years of age was beased on research with results like this:
Word recognition.jpg

(More info HERE)

For parents within a hearing environment the goal is to have as much benefit as possible from the CI. After all, it's a huge investment (not even talking about money) so the results should be as good as possible as well.
For some parents that are in a deaf environment, it's allready fine if CI will help a little bit. And that is the result when you wait longer until the child can make it's own decision.

Cloggy- I don't think she will ever get your point of child with ci greatly improved in the first few years when compare to older kids or adult big difference in languages due ot the fact that the younger your brain is the easier to learn when now? your brain is already developed and take longer to process the sounds thru? Oh well!

Fragmenter said:
Are you saying ALL deaf people cannot write and read English? :squint:

ButterflyGirl said:
NO, he said:
"Why can't ALL deaf people read and write English as well as you guys". That's quite a compared to your statement isn't it.

He's comparing the writing skills of Polish, Dutch members with that of American members that are deaf and on this messageboard.
And if you read posts, you must have noticed it as well.

So, He's not saying that ALL deaf people can't write,
He's asking why not all deaf people cant write like foreigners!

I'm not bothered by the writing style and lack of grammar because most of the time I can see the message. Sometimes I don't and I'll ask to refrase.
There's still communication, and I know lack of writing skills does not mean someone is stupid.

There are plenty of stupid people with excellent writing skills, so there's no connection there.

ButterflyGirl said:

Fragmenter said "as well as you guys" - he didn't say that deaf people can't read/write English.

Myself - I honestly feel that my English comprehension/writing ability stems from my love to read. I started reading when I was 3 and never looked back. You'll rarely see me without a book or a magazine in my hands, or reading something online.

One of the things I started doing about 10 years ago is once a week I open a dictionary to a random page, put my finger down on a random line - and learn a new word/term. Its fun and I've actually been able to incoroporate a lot of the new words I've learned into my everyday communication!

neecy said:
One of the things I started doing about 10 years ago is once a week I open a dictionary to a random page, put my finger down on a random line - and learn a new word/term. Its fun and I've actually been able to incoroporate a lot of the new words I've learned into my everyday communication!
That's a great idea.
I've seen it done before, but it slipped my mind.
I'm going to do that with my children!

Cloggy said:
That's a great idea.
I've seen it done before, but it slipped my mind.
I'm going to do that with my children!

I got the idea watching the big Scholastic Spelling Bee competitions on TV. Children were asked how they learned how to spell so many of the big words and this was one very common way of teaching them new terms, as well as new english rules (because heavens knows, English is a very difficult language to learn, with so many "exceptions" to the rules!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back