Why Cochlear Implants Hurt Deaf Culture?

ecevit said:
Okay Roadrunner..

I'll state my opinion in short...

CIs do not hurt deaf culture but CI may help deafies to communicate with hearing world much better.. of course, nothing can change who we are.

I consider CIs to be very strong bridges between hearing and deaf worlds..
CIs cannot kill deaf world because CIs are made for deafies themselves and not all deaf people can use them only some.
CIs are only supportive devices for deafs.
CI were never made for Deafies. It was made for those with severe hearing loss regardless of where the person came from. in other word, CI is not limited to those born deaf only. nope.. It was made for human with hearing loss period.

Cheri said:
IThere are going to be hearing people who are going to be teasing a CI person, because of seeing something behind the ears, knowing that this person is carrying a signal processor on himself or herself.

I've met MANY people who have CI's, and having one myself - you can't see it. My hair completely covers the transmitter coil and the BTE. Only 2 people I know have "very visable" CI's and that's because they have their hair styled in a crew-cut so there's no hair to cover the CI. Everybody else I've known has had longer hair and you'd never know they were wearing a CI. I've only had ONE person inquire - and it wasn't to tease either - I was was attaching my personal audio cable to my MP3 player and had to remove the CI to plug it in- they were very curious and when I told them what it was, and how with the cable I could directly hear music with my implant they were fascinated. They said they wished they could do that!!! :D

neecy said:
I've met MANY people who have CI's, and having one myself - you can't see it. My hair completely covers the transmitter coil and the BTE. Only 2 people I know have "very visable" CI's and that's because they have their hair styled in a crew-cut so there's no hair to cover the CI. Everybody else I've known has had longer hair and you'd never know they were wearing a CI.:D

I've too met MANY people and children who have CI, You CAN see it, Maybe you haven't met those who you SAW that shows.

Cheri said:
I've too met MANY people and children who have CI, You CAN see it, Maybe you haven't met those who you SAW that shows.

possibly - but just because it shows doesn't mean people are going to tease others. Most people are brought up with manners.

neecy said:
possibly - but just because it shows doesn't mean people are going to tease others. Most people are brought up with manners.

Don't be so naive, neecy, Everyone gets bullied once in their lifetime, Even my two hearing children got bullied and they are HEARING. Again you never know, I'm pointing this out and don't be so surprised or shocked when it comes down to it. :)

Please forgive me for going off topic here but this reminds me of the hearing aids I wored when I was little, I can't seem to remember what it was called but it was ear molds that goes inside both of your ears, with cord going down to a box that wraps around your chest, does anyone remember that old fashion hearing aids??...

Gosh I was soo embarrassed wearing that, I guess I was just a kid :giggle:

^Angel^ said:
Please forgive me for going off topic here but this reminds me of the hearing aids I wored when I was little, I can't seem to remember what it was called but it was ear molds that goes inside both of your ears, with cord going down to a box that wraps around your chest, does anyone remember that old fashion hearing aids??...

I had that too! I was really embarrassed too and once a girl I had an argument with pulled them out :pissed: . They were so bulky in comparison today's BTE hearing aids.

Cheri said:
Don't be so naive, neecy, Everyone gets bullied once in their lifetime, Even my two hearing children got bullied and they are HEARING. Again you never know, I'm pointing this out and don't be so surprised or shocked when it comes down to it. :)

I think though this is where children with CIs need to be supported with counselling and therapy on how to deal with such situations. I wish that when I was growing up with my bulky hearing aids that I had received advice on what to do when other children teased me.

Actually I was probably picked on more badly for being of a different race to most of the kids I went to school with than for being deaf.

Yes you're right - kids will always find something to pick on. The key is in giving the child the support and skills in dealing with bullying.

^Angel^ said:

Yes I had that too. I hated it so much. I remember when I saw a boy in my class with his new BTEs I couldn't take my eyes off them. I wanted them so bad LOL.

^Angel^ said:

I hated that thing!!! I would just grab that and throw it into the toilet. no joke.

RebelGirl said:
I hated that thing!!! I would just grab that and throw it into the toilet. no joke.

:jaw: Are you serious? what did your parents say ?

I understand how you girls feel, I hate them myself too, sometimes when I sign I kept hitting the cord and my ear mold pop out of my ear, grrrr I hate it when that happens..

^Angel^ said:
I understand how you girls feel, I hate them myself too, sometimes when I sign I kept hitting the cord and my ear mold pop out of my ear, grrrr I hate it when that happens..
Oh tell me about it. It happened to me too!
Hey, let's create a thread about remembering old fashioned hearing aids.

^Angel^ said:
:jaw: Are you serious? what did your parents say ?

My parents used to get soo frustrated with me and would take my HAs to get it repaired.. but I'd do it again over and over :Oops: then the Audiologist found another option.. was the aids that can be put behind the ears. so I got those.. and ended up throwing out of the car window while driving... so once more.. I got another new one and finally kept it on my ears.. Now I've worn hearing aids for 30 years :mrgreen: me :angel:

ButterflyGirl said:
Oh tell me about it. It happened to me too!
Hey, let's create a thread about remembering old fashioned hearing aids.

Good idea Butterfly Girl, so we won't go way off the topic here, btw are you going to create it?...

RebelGirl said:
My parents used to get soo frustrated with me and would take my HAs to get it repaired.. but I'd do it again over and over :Oops: then the Audiologist found another option.. was the aids that can be put behind the ears. so I got those.. and ended up throwing out of the car window while driving... so once more.. I got another new one and finally kept it on my ears.. Now I've worn hearing aids for 30 years :mrgreen: me :angel:

LOL!! You are more braver than I am...

RebelGirl said:

oh WHAT!?!?!?! :jaw: you threw your hearing aids out of the windows in the car while it is driving?? wowowow I am sure your mom get into so MAD!!!! lol

^Angel^ said:
LOL!! You are more braver than I am...

I can't live without it.... I used to have 2 HAs now I have been using 1 HA for 2 years.. and I sure do miss my other one. it broke and the VR won't help. Screw the VRs

DeafMonkey said:
oh WHAT!?!?!?! :jaw: you threw your hearing aids out of the windows in the car while it is driving?? wowowow I am sure your mom get into so MAD!!!! lol
I was 1 year old at the time.. and it got on my nerves hearing the motor revving and the windows were down and I couldn't stand the sound of the wind. That's what my mom me.. how I acted toward the sounds in the car so I took them off and threw it out of the window.. my mom was like " arghhh, Angela!!!" no no no no! lol ( don't remember any of it) just from what my mom told me

RebelGirl said:
I was 1 year old at the time.. and it got on my nerves hearing the motor revving and the windows were down and I couldn't stand the sound of the wind. That's what my mom me.. how I acted toward the sounds in the car so I took them off and threw it out of the window.. my mom was like " arghhh, Angela!!!" no no no no! lol ( don't remember any of it) just from what my mom told me

oh wow you must be so brave and smart that you saw the window was open and threw them out lol :lol:

Back