Why Cochlear Implants Hurt Deaf Culture?

Cloggy said:
Next CI with bluetooth perhaps. No more coils, wires.

THEY HAVE IT!!! I am trying to save up my money to get it - Is called Microlink
Freedom. From the cochlear website:

# Additional communication benefits in noise, over distance and in rooms with reverberation
# Perfect for school classrooms and lecture halls
# Easy wireless access to telephone, TV, Hi Fi and personal audio devices1
# Wireless access to your mobile phone via Bluetooth 2
# Compatible with all Phonak transmitters
Stylish integrated design

* Neatly integrates into your Freedom BTE 3 ZincAir Controller
* No extra connectors or controls
* No additional batteries required
* The unique design matches the curves of the Freedom BTE, making it discreet and comfortable
* Available in the four Nucleus Freedom colours: beige, brown, black and silver

microlinkBTE.gif

Here's the link: http://www.cochlearamericas.com/Products/854.asp

Sweetmind said:
All I can say is that this is a very immature hearing person that he has no business being in the deaf world because he has no interest in learning deaf culture or deaf ways at all. Thats the only thing I can say that person is here for is to stir things up.

I can see he ll never get it because he has no interest in really getting it all he wants to stir up and namecalling me..

No wonder we are still stronger and stand up for what we strongly believe in ourselves as being deaf. Thats a real positive outlook that we deaf can do anything except hear. ;)

THANK YOU! ;)
Sweetmind
:bsflag:

Cloggy has stated MANY TIMES, and often directed right at you, (you simply chose to ignore it as usual) that he signs. His daughter signs. He plans on teaching her about the deaf community and giving her all the tools necessary. Why do you continue to ignore what's been told to you in favor of spewing yet more ignorance? It almost appears to me that you intentionally want to think the worst of him because his daughter has a CI and refuse to see the truth, that he wants to integrate his daughter with both the hearing and the deaf worlds. Why not try REALLY reading what he says instead of making assumptions?

Sweetmind said:
yeayea d/Deaf children are guiena pig as usual . They never stopped the experiment on d/Deaf children as usual.. Their experiement is usually failed as always.. You cannot make the child being like you as a hearing child. dont you get it? jeez

Hearing people are mixed up their head and dont get the hint for a long time.

Ha then CI then what s the next? jeez

The problem is that you dont know how to let deaf children to be themselves and not having to have the brainwash from audist attitude people who have no faith in us in many ways after all people are doing the barrier of communication themselves not us d/Deaf and hearing children who have the knowledge of ASL from the start.

Thats the purpose for d/Deaf children to have a gifted tool to use that works so well. YOu forced them to speak and hear only while you are mixed up their life and education in many ways. It has already proven.

IT MUST BE HEARING beacause you said so . Scoffs! You couldnt handle to deal with d/Deaf children in a way that is so outrageous for you to conform a child.

Guess what d/Deaf people out there are very successful without your help after all they used American Sign Language. You dont want to hear it and are willing to spend more time and money to manipulate on d/Deaf children that is already damaged from the start.

Sweetmind,

why are you bringing broken records over here from other place that you failed to turn heads. you drove them out. are you trying to do the same here?

Look at what passivits has said several times about the situation in UK. they tried the very things your way and failed. The end results is it drove them apart deeply and isolated. Thus making cultuarally Deaf community smaller and deaf/hoh community bigger. If you stop and embrace any walk of life with different background regardless of what they have or not, you will be more welcomed. But you are making it difficult for yourself with your spiels and therefore you are increasingly isolating yourself.

Here on AD, I see more and more agreeing to disagree while your getting less and less. That does not bode well for you. Time to take a look at mirror of yours. Oh, don't forget to let go of bad past your experience and make it just a memory. This is 2000's not 1900-1960's I looked at my childhood years, it is really big hurdle than yours. I went thru all grades without interpreters unlike others who went to school and had a interpreters. That's big difference and big leap. Those kids who are mainstreamed in hearing school now have interpreters. I envy them. Thanks to ADA and IDEA plus IEP.

It's time to make future bountiful and worthy than dwell on past and hurls insults and blames on others whom hasn't been there in the past of yours.

Ok I have said my piece... *stepping off soap box and pulling ignore shade on sweetmind*

gnulinuxman said:
Sweetmind and I live in the United States, and she's actually telling the truth about what happened here. It is true that oral deaf schools punished students very harshly (meaning beatings) for signing and said signing will prevent the students from speaking or ever leading a successful life. Alexandar Graham Bell (yes, the one most often (falsely) credited for inventing the telephone) paid deaf schools to switch to this philosophy. He believed that all deaf people needed to act like hearing people. I don't know what you get in Norway, but that's where Sweetmind is coming from.
yes but that is in the past. Cloggy's country, netherlands, opted for oral method since milan congress so is Norway too.

and what's more USA NEVER voted in milan congress so those school; ie: oral school just followed the trends. thus leaving deaf school using manual method.

It is time to stop dwelling on the past and blame the past. It is not going to help you at all.

Boult said:
yes but that is in the past. Cloggy's country, netherlands, opted for oral method since milan congress so is Norway too.

and what's more USA NEVER voted in milan congress so those school; ie: oral school just followed the trends. thus leaving deaf school using manual method.
What does this have to do with Alexander Graham Bell? I am just posting what happened HERE, and what kind of things Sweetmind went through in school (and why she is so negative). Personally, though, I prefer intellectual jousting and logic to ranting, but she'd rather rant.

Boult said:
It is time to stop dwelling on the past and blame the past. It is not going to help you at all.
I am not blaming the past; I'm simply explaining it. There's a difference.

gnulinuxman said:
RTFP (read the friggin post)
I guess you didn't read what and why cloggy was referring his remark to? so you decide to quip "what's new?" eh

Wow took me a LONG time to read up on this thread.

I know that as a hofh parent, of 3 girls (2 of which are hofh) I have to refrain myself from telling my hearing audiologist that they aren't hearing though she may "think" they are. We still struggle, we still have to rely more on lip reading, facial expressions, body language and ASL. No matter what, you are who you are. Just because you have CI or HA nothing changes who you are.

Teachers expect so much from them. Although it's not a bad thing but it can prove to be hinderance at some point. My middlest has just been put in a mainstreamed school this year. She has told me repeatedly that she wants to go back to the deaf/hofh program that she was in. I feel for her, yet at the same time I know that she needs to be challenged. It has it's pros and cons. They go at their own level, at their own pace. Smaller classes, more individual one on one with the teachers.

My youngest we are very concerned, she knows A LOT of ASL. But her oral language is SO far behind. She just got her hearing aids after waiting four months for them to repair them. I am holding out that we can get her up to speed. Still signing, that is all I can do inorder to communicate with her.

I was one of the first class in my hometown to be mainstreamed. I felt like I had culture shock when I walked into my grade 6 classroom. Knowing ASL, and having so much support to having nothing or very limited support. I struggled, I hated school so much.

If I had it my way, I would change the system altogether. If they want us to be functioning in a hearing world (give us the tools we need to do so).
Give us more one on one with teachers, give us interpreters, give us what we need. Don't expect us to be like "hearies" and to do well without necessary support.

I wanted to comment on the giving them interpeters nowadays. My middlest is fluent in ASL and they told me she didn't need it. I want that for her. Yet I contiune to get fought on with audiologist and the Board of Ed system. She is hearing, she has perfect hearing with her aids on. BULL@#$%!! If they have walked a mile in my shoes, they would know I would rather have an ASL conversation than a verbal conversation any day!

CI is made to enhance one's ability to function in the world. Just like HA. Not rejecting who, or what we are. I say to people that I am part of the deaf culture. I am, and so are my girls. I have had to sit down and talk to family member helping them realize that is who they are. Should you discourage a child to reach his/hers full potential? No, you want the best for them. I have seen the pictures of Cloggy's wife signing. That to me, says she is giving her child everything life has to offer. Not limiting her in any way. It's not a question of whether "accepting or rejecting" their deafness. It's accepting the responsibility of whether or not making the right decisions for yourself and for your children in that situation.

If my girls were profoundly deaf, would I chose CI for them? Probably not, but I have to consider Hub's wants too. And he told me, in a heartbeat he would want to.

Would that mean that I/Hub don't accept their deafness?
No, because we would contiune to sign to them, and give them everything they need providing both worlds deaf/hearing worlds.

I think if someone really has a problem with deafness. They would impant them, remove them from the deaf culture. Won't sign. Won't provide anything as far as the tools they need. Be so strict with their CI child that they would have to completely conform to the hearing world with nothing of the deaf culture at all. (that would be someone who would be non-accepting of deafness). ~IN MY OPINION~ :angel:

She is hearing, she has perfect hearing with her aids on. BULL@#$%!!

Part of the problem that hearing people are misinterpreting our hearing abilities is that WE ourselves are too embarrassed to admit we still do not understand after having things repeated to us two, three times.
We pretend to understand to save us embarassment and unpleasant feeling of shame.

If we were to demand to repeat over and over as long as we really need, then hearing people would see better that we in fact most of the time only pretend to understand.

Fuzzy

Heart2Sign said:
Wow took me a LONG time to read up on this thread.

I know that as a hofh parent, of 3 girls (2 of which are hofh) I have to refrain myself from telling my hearing audiologist that they aren't hearing though she may "think" they are. We still struggle, we still have to rely more on lip reading, facial expressions, body language and ASL. No matter what, you are who you are. Just because you have CI or HA nothing changes who you are.
[...]

:gpost: !!! Agreed 90%, but variety is the spice of life. ;)

Audiofuzzy said:
Part of the problem that hearing people are misinterpreting our hearing abilities is that WE ourselves are too embarrassed to admit we still do not understand after having things repeated to us two, three times.
We pretend to understand to save us embarassment and unpleasant feeling of shame.

If we were to demand to repeat over and over as long as we really need, then hearing people would see better that we in fact most of the time only pretend to understand.

Fuzzy

I actually hugely disagree with you there Audio. I think that there are people who stick to the medical resources saying that," She has aids, therefore her hearing test shows she is normal hearing." Sure her hearing test with her hearing aids on show normal hearing, but it's not. That is fact, that is experience. We can demand all we want, just as I have taught my middlest to be assertive in her daily life. When it comes to reality, harsh reality some people just refuse to be educated, tolerant and understanding that in all reality CI, HA or none at all with or without there is always a level of imperfection that we will always have to those who hear in hearing world.

How many ways can I say I can't hear you? Until I just eventually don't respond?

Just like my daughter, she says I can't hear you. So they scream at her? I tell them there is a 3 feet rule, we have an extra 2 feet on us because we are adult. Anything higher than 3 feet is lost. Have they come closer to her to try and make it easier? Nope, have they tried to sign to make it easier, nope. You see, we tell them what to do to help us...but it takes too much effort and eventually it just gets tiresome. Or they see no reason, they should be normal hearing so they must be (which in the case of my hub, and other family members they felt). Until I corrected my hub in an disagreement telling him no matter what, they will never be "normal hearing." Nothing is ever going to change that, so they need to change and become willing to do what is neccessary for them to be able to communicate better with them. The ball is in THEIR COURT!

You can only do so much, then the other party has to be willing. :ugh2:

Boult said:

I second that :cheers:

Heart2Sign said:
I actually hugely disagree with you there Audio. I think that there are people who stick to the medical resources saying that," She has aids, therefore her hearing test shows she is normal hearing." Sure her hearing test with her hearing aids on show normal hearing, but it's not. That is fact, that is experience. We can demand all we want, just as I have taught my middlest to be assertive in her daily life. When it comes to reality, harsh reality some people just refuse to be educated, tolerant and understanding that in all reality CI, HA or none at all with or without there is always a level of imperfection that we will always have to those who hear in hearing world.

How many ways can I say I can't hear you? Until I just eventually don't respond?

Just like my daughter, she says I can't hear you. So they scream at her? I tell them there is a 3 feet rule, we have an extra 2 feet on us because we are adult. Anything higher than 3 feet is lost. Have they come closer to her to try and make it easier? Nope, have they tried to sign to make it easier, nope. You see, we tell them what to do to help us...but it takes too much effort and eventually it just gets tiresome. Or they see no reason, they should be normal hearing so they must be (which in the case of my hub, and other family members they felt). Until I corrected my hub in an disagreement telling him no matter what, they will never be "normal hearing." Nothing is ever going to change that, so they need to change and become willing to do what is neccessary for them to be able to communicate better with them. The ball is in THEIR COURT!

You can only do so much, then the other party has to be willing. :ugh2:
Is this the reason hearing aids and CIs can't be compared to glasses/contacts? Because my glasses improve my eyesight to about 20/20 in my left eye and BETTER than 20/20 in my right eye, and I have pretty bad astigmatism, so the result is that my eyesight is BETTER than "normal" even though I can barely see a thing without my glasses on. I'm just wondering.

Back