Why Cochlear Implants Hurt Deaf Culture?

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've noticed some deaf people are saying that cochlear implants hurt their deaf culture and I'm curious to know why they feel that way, please remember to keep an open mind on both sides, cause I'm willing to listen to everyone's view/opinions on this topic here...Please let's discuss in a civil manner without putting anyone down, Thanks :grouphug:

Why do some of you feel that cochlear implants hurt the deaf culture?....

Awwww :( I was hoping TrippA was going to respond back in my thread, Guess not. :giggle:

Seems CI may lead into hurt Deaf Culture in the future...
I would say Yes.. Actually Ahead of the future will happends!
I have no further comment more...

GalaxyAngel said:

Aww I wish you could explain a bit more on why you feel that CI will hurt the deaf culture?

Pretty please? :angel:

i think it doesn't hurt the deaf culture.. because once its not on u can't hear.
i got mine.. and i still hang with deafies.

god will always find a way to make people deaf ;-) there's always new ways such as medicine that doctor give to patients makes them go deaf, noise, etc...

Oh sorry. Where's my manners. :)

Ok, You asked why Cochlear Implants hurt the Deaf Culture? to be quite honest here, It felt like a slap in the face to the Deaf Community, Because they're not accepting an identity of self, They want more! like "changing me" into "functional hearing person". Some of them have their CI attitudes, "I was deaf, I can hear, now I'm a hearing person" screw the deaf community, I'm in the hearing world now!

I accepted and live by my deafness, that's who I am, I learned to speak well, I learned sign language, I learned to read lips. Only thing I cannot do is hear like hearing people, I'm part of both worlds, Deaf and Hearing. But who cares, If I can't hear, It doesn't stop me from living life, having hearing isn't all that important it's not in order to be apart of society. ;)

GalaxyAngel said:

Can you give an example? I am deaf, I am from a deaf family, and YES I have a CI - but I am still proud of my culture and I still hang out alot with the deaf community, I STILL expect my children to sign even though they are hearing - deaf culture will ONLY DIE if we let it. Embrace those with CI and show them how fascinating the deaf culture is - and you'd be surprised how they might want to embrace the culture.

Cheri said:
Awwww :( I was hoping TrippA was going to respond back in my thread, Guess not. :giggle:
Sorry Cheri... It's probably my fault...:tears: Smacking myself :slap:

rockdrummer said:

Somehow I knew you gotta say that. :giggle: Don't apology, It's kewl! :hug:

^Angel^ said:
Aww I wish you could explain a bit more on why you feel that CI will hurt the deaf culture?

Pretty please? :angel:

My concern is... "Future" If suppose 2100's or up... There might force you implanted ci w/newborn babies.. not even ask Parent permission first...
will come spread it out popluation no longer Deaf Culture..

You and I are in grave anyway.. what your children's future become parent and might have their children's future 2nd generation ahead.. will come huge change..
Isn't same old days anymore!

Cheri said:
Ok, You asked why Cochlear Implants hurt the Deaf Culture? to be quite honest here, It felt like a slap in the face to the Deaf Community, Because they're not accepting an identity of self, They want more! like "changing me" into "functional hearing person".

Cheri, who is not accepting you for who you are? The others with CI's or the people making the CI's? Maybe its a misunderstanding. Nobody that I know of is forcing any deaf individuals to get CI's. It's just an option and each person has the right to choose. I will accept you regardless of your choice.

GalaxyAngel said:
My concern is... "Future" If suppose 2100's or up... There might force you implanted ci w/newborn babies.. not even ask Parent permission first...

You and I are in grave anyway.. what your children's future become parent and might have their children's future 2nd generation ahead.. will come huge change..

Not in my America would that happen. If the government or doctors are implanting kids without parents permission, we will have far greater problems than the demise of the deaf culture. Not only that Galaxy, remember that CI's don't work for everyone. My child is a case in point.

rockdrummer said:

Aw it's not your fault at all , I feel that this needed to be discuss more farther and to find out why some deaf people feel that cochlear implants will hurt the deaf culture, it might help us understand how others feel and see what we can do to change that feelings... :dunno:

Cheri said:
I accepted and live by my deafness, that's who I am...

:gpost:

That's the way I feel.. except that I'm hoh not total deaf yet..
;)

rockdrummer said:
Cheri, who is not accepting you for who you are? The others with CI's or the people making the CI's? Maybe its a misunderstanding. Nobody that I know of is forcing any deaf individuals to get CI's. It's just an option and each person has the right to choose. I will accept you regardless of your choice.

I'm not speaking of me, I'm speaking of those who have CI, before they have their CI, those people are not happy about themselves being deaf, they want more, That's what I meant. After they get their CI's some of them phrase themselves as hearing, when they're not hearing, they can hear with device aid that helps them hear sounds. It's different between hearing and hear the sounds with help. And some of them drift out of the deaf community too and decide to be involved more with the hearing world. That's what I meant by slap in the face to the deaf community. ;)

Cheri said:
I'm not speaking of me, I'm speaking of those who have CI, before they have their CI, those people are not happy about themselves being deaf, they want more, That's what I meant. After they get their CI's some of them phrase themselves as hearing, when they're not hearing, they can hear with device aid that helps them hear sounds. It's different between hearing and hear the sounds with help. And some of them drift out of the deaf community too and decide to be involved more with the hearing world. That's what I meant by slap in the face to the deaf community. ;)

Thank you Cheri :ty: for clearing that up for me. I completly understand you now and I can see where with some individuals this would happen. I have also seen replies in here that suggest otherwise. Some that get CI's still remain active in the deaf community. To me, if you have a true friend and I mean a true friend. they will not abandon you just because they have a CI. If they do then they were not really a true friend to begin with. Just my opinion.

GalaxyAngel said:

Aw sweetie :hug: I can understand how you feel there hon about what the future will hold later in a couple of years by seeing more deaf adults or children being implanted with CI, and having this fear that deaf culture will no longer exit but only the hearing world, but remember CI isn't a cure for deafness, and no matter how much they can hear with the use of the implants, they're still deaf or hard of hearing no matter what they may think, there's nothing in the world that they can change for who they are, they will always be part of the deaf culture no matter how many adult or children being implanted with CI....

And IF I see doctors implanting children with CI without the parent's permission, then I'll slap him silly! , believe me it won't happen...

^Angel^ said:
Aw sweetie :hug: I can understand how you feel there hon about what the future will hold later in a couple of years by seeing more deaf adults or children being implanted with CI, and having this fear that deaf culture will no longer exit but only the hearing world, but remember CI isn't a cure for deafness, and no matter how much they can hear with the use of the implants, they're still deaf or hard of hearing no matter what they may think, there's nothing in the world that they can change for who they are, they will always be part of the deaf culture no matter how many adult or children being implanted with CI....

And IF I see doctors implanting children with CI without the parent's permission, then I'll slap him silly! , believe me it won't happen...
You are right about that but sadly there are some CI'ers who have thrown away their deaf friends and the deaf world. They even label themselves as hearing not deaf. They get upset if we label them as deaf/hoh.

ButterflyGirl said:
You are right about that but sadly there are some CI'ers who have thrown away their deaf friends and the deaf world.

Then they were not true friends to begin with. Just my opinion.

Deafness and deaf culture will endure. There will always be people who CAN'T be implanted with CI's (occification of cochlea's, malformed auditory nerves, missing the cochlea completely, etc) there will be those who choose not to be implanted, there will be those deafened by accidents, diseases, loud environmental sounds, or just old age.

I think the fears that CI's will destroy anything are unfounded. I remember that people said the same thing about HA's and they are totally accepted as a part of deaf culture- just as CI's will be - with time.

Back