Were you deaf and 'gifted' ?

It's really a type for mooclear. Those cows are en route to Iran right now.

I kill myself.

I'm gifted and HI, in a mainstreamed education. I'm in the category of good at school with minimal effort, but I really hate school. Most of my teachers I basically ignore and read a book. One of them I will bother to listen to, just because he's funny and actually has something to say but I ignore the rest of the old hags who've been droning on about the SOL (US standards of learning) in the same subject for forty years.

Right now I'm in all AP courses geared towards a biology major or one in the food preparation industry.

don't feel bad. our own president can't even pronounce the word correctly. :giggle:

Haha Nuk-uklar. Every time I hear that I chortle.

Anyways, I was also in the same boat as the OP and was tested as "Gifted." I was told that my IQ was in the range of Genius. I was mainstreamed into a Gifted class which was really a weekly seminar that covered pointless things.

Right now I'm in my senior year in a mainstreamed HS and have taken all Honors and AP classes and succeeded in them. I was also Accepted into RIT's mechanical engineering program. Somehow I managed all this despite my reluctance to do homework. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I didn't really have the typical experiences compared to all of you (at least of those who posted on the first page. The NHL allstar skills comp is on and I'm too lazy to read after the 1st page :lol: ) It really is interesting to compare my own experiences to others.

IQ tests are meaningless and schools dont really teach any skills thats gonna earn you any money. Their goal is to teach how to read and write along with basic math skills. The rest of it is trivial

The most important thing to learn in school is socialization, but oddly theres no grades for it.

hmmm. when i was in 10th grade biology, my teacher taught me about the importance of hard work, dilligence and the ability to be whoever i wanted to be as long as i followed my dreams. in my case, school taught me much more than the abc's.

a harvard grad saying "nucular." heck, i didn't graduate from an ivy league school yet i can pronounce the word correctly. will wonders never cease. :giggle:

Bush is a Yale man.

I know some folks that were classmates of Bush. They told me that he got C's and he was in the social group that was known for not doing well and was only admitted because of the financial boost they gave the school. It's really too bad that financial decisions play a role in admittance.

I know some folks that were classmates of Bush. They told me that he got C's and he was in the social group that was known for not doing well and was only admitted because of the financial boost they gave the school. It's really too bad that financial decisions play a role in admittance.

i've heard this too.

My 9 year old was born deaf and she is a great artist. I’m not saying this as a dad I’m saying this because she sells 8 by 11” pictures she draws that are put into 50 to $75 frames and mats and sell for 300 to $700 and 14 by 18” from 800 to $1,200. The last art show she sold one 8 by 11 for $2,000 and a 14 by 18” go for $3,500. She will only work in colored pencils, charcoal, and ink.

She dose land scrapes (sp), live model, perspective, abstract, and something we call buzzed abstract. She will sit in her room at her desk and stare out the window into a field and draw anything she wants to. From time to time she will do something custom by tacking a picture and drawing it the she wants to or will copy the picture.

During the winter she will do 4 to 6 - 14” by 18” a week and the summer 5 to 8 - 8” by 11” a week. There are some days that she just wants to draw and will draw for 10 hours. Her brain can not handle anything over 14 by 18” without her flipping out by the end of it.

Most of the time she is normal but with out structure in her life she changes. The doctors tell us it looks like autism and downs mixed up to some point. This only happens when there is no school and we do not plan out a part of her day. When school is out we drag her along on the morning farming work and seams to help.

My 9 year old was born deaf and she is a great artist. I’m not saying this as a dad I’m saying this because she sells 8 by 11” pictures she draws that are put into 50 to $75 frames and mats and sell for 300 to $700 and 14 by 18” from 800 to $1,200. The last art show she sold one 8 by 11 for $2,000 and a 14 by 18” go for $3,500. She will only work in colored pencils, charcoal, and ink.

She dose land scrapes (sp), live model, perspective, abstract, and something we call buzzed abstract. She will sit in her room at her desk and stare out the window into a field and draw anything she wants to. From time to time she will do something custom by tacking a picture and drawing it the she wants to or will copy the picture.

During the winter she will do 4 to 6 - 14” by 18” a week and the summer 5 to 8 - 8” by 11” a week. There are some days that she just wants to draw and will draw for 10 hours. Her brain can not handle anything over 14 by 18” without her flipping out by the end of it.

Most of the time she is normal but with out structure in her life she changes. The doctors tell us it looks like autism and downs mixed up to some point. This only happens when there is no school and we do not plan out a part of her day. When school is out we drag her along on the morning farming work and seams to help.

I would be interested in seeing some of her art work. Do you have a website where you can sell it on-line?

IQ tests are meaningless and schools dont really teach any skills thats gonna earn you any money. Their goal is to teach how to read and write along with basic math skills. The rest of it is trivial

The most important thing to learn in school is socialization, but oddly theres no grades for it.

What about the notation on elementary report cards, "Plays well with others"?

I have never put any of it on line. 90% of the stuff she dose she dose not like and puts it in boxes under her bed for storage. If there is an art show we will dig through the boxes and if she wants to sell some she will. So far she has sold at 5 shows and has done 20 or so peaces that someone wanted. The money she makes goes right back into getting her more are stuff and her savings account. If you look at the cost of good art stuff you would know how fast a few hundred dollars can go.

I was in "G.A.T.E" for 4 years in middle school. Started 4th grade, ended 8th grade. I was one of the fastest puzzle solver and math solver. 3rd highest IQ in the class. But I'm the only wolf, still. :P

wolf,

you started middle school in 4th grade? :scratch: that's unusual. middle school for me started in 7th grade and ended a year later.

Hi

Can anyone here who is deaf relate to having been in a special class for children who were deemed 'gifted'?

I am 33, profoundly deaf, and was mainstreamed with hearing kids for most of my childhood. In kindergarten, I was placed in a special program for children who performed exceptionally at I.Q. testing (often WAIS-C) that many schools often require of children who have any form of 'disability' (sue me). I was the only one in this 'gifted' class until third grade, when a new hearing kid finally tested high enough to qualify for the program and joined my class. The program was called TAG (Talented and Gifted). As I was bounced between four school districts from elementary to high school, I discovered that the gifted program had different names at each school - GT (Gifted and Talented), ELC (Enhanced Learning Center), and IS (Independent Study).

In eleventh grade, I ended up attending Kansas School for the Deaf (which is another story) and discovered the lack of a program for 'gifted' students there. Interestingly, KSD did administer the adult version of the WAIS I.Q. test. My test result unfortunately generated alot of hype and high expectations on campus: after recommending that I take classes in community college instead, they would later learn that I was actually a homework-hating underachiever who didn't give a rat's ass about school.:laugh2:

In case you've gotten serious douche chills following me up to this point, I'll have you know that I believe the notion of I.Q. (as determined by a sanctioned test such as the WAIS) is questionable, as there are many different types of intelligences. I do not personally rely on an I.Q. test result to validate myself in any way - I do not think of myself as 'smarter' or 'better' than anyone. Everyone is exceptional in their own way!

However, I do know that I am 'different' - I possess an array of traits and mannerisms that are commonly attributed to what they call a 'gifted' person. Even though I can pull off some pretty impressive stunts, not all of these qualities are beneficial or even desireable. 'Gifted' people do have shortcomings that cripple their ability to function in certain ways in a social or educational setting. It's like how every comic book superhero has a counterbalancing vulnerability. I'm vulnerable to 'kryptonite' too! :lol:

Being deaf didn't help any - I had spent most of my life wrongly attributing certain differences to my hearing loss. Even my family and friends were convinced that my hearing loss was the explanation for certain idiosyncrasies of mine. However, I always knew deep down inside that something didn't add up - that I was 'different' from the other deaf or hard of hearing kids. I could never fully determine exactly 'how' I was different.

I did not truly understand myself until I was well into adulthood, when I came across up-to-date information on the virtues and vices of being 'gifted' on the web. It was a moment of awakening for me - I finally had a clear idea of who I am, and what I am capable of. I was a late bloomer. During my time back in the late 70's, the gifted program in public schools was newly established & 'giftedness' was not as fully understood as it is now. Nowadays, children who enter the program are better taught to identify and handle their differences. Many gifted children actually have unique issues that need to be addressed in order to maximize their potential, otherwise they will likely fail in school and possibly at life.

Being both deaf and 'gifted' is a very interesting condition. It brings up interesting questions, like: how do deaf institutions deal with students who meet the criteria for giftedness, and are they properly addressing their needs? As I mentioned previously, Kansas School for the Deaf did not have a gifted program, though they did administer I.Q. tests to their students. I'm guessing that most, if not all, deaf institutions do not properly address the needs of these exceptional deaf kids, and consequently, many of them may become as conflicted as I once was during the course of their childhood education and ultimately, life. There's also a doubtful possibility that once a 'gifted' deaf child is identified, a recommendation is made to place the child in public school instead.

So, any deafies out there like myself, who have been through this experience? I know that I am not alone in this world - there apparently are some very smart people on this site!

I am so glad to found you :) In my education life and I been badly let down by the system because I am deaf and they aren't aware about it.

I often frustration that I can't have complex conversion and learnt something new from someone. Such as how to solve anti-matter problems and where we can find a clue to link up anti-matter? Ghost? Radio-wave? Microwave? and why? I got theory and couldn't share with anyone considering it is too complex but I understand.

I normally at facebook and please add me "Shaun Sadlier". And I can tell you more about it.

Take care

Shaun

There are many very intelligent people here. We have varying educational levels and "real world" success (whatever that is!). This is the first time that I've seen anyone try to distinguish themselves like the OP here.

It's more important to be a kind, decent person. I think that people don't get enough credit and positive feedback for being kind, responsible people. I tell my kids that they're good kids. If you send the message that a person's identity is based on his intelligence, you set the stage for either perfectionism or rebellion (depending on the person's personality and temperament). Accepting people as individuals with different talents and interests is crucial. Kids are not test scores. Neither are adults, for that matter.

Back