Were you deaf and 'gifted' ?

that was the old days...nowadays are different ..if we see a student who is advancing, we will modify the lessons to meet that students' needs. I have a 4th grader now who is like that and I am working long hours to create specified lesson plans just for him only. He knows the difference between homophones and homographs..I HAD to look them up cuz I forgot what the difference was!!!! :eek:...whatever! LOL!

when i completed first grade (1978), my teacher wanted to advance me a year due to my reading comprehension and writing skills. my mother refused because she thought it would be better for me socially if i remained with children in my own grade. she didn't want to risk me being made fun of by others because i was a year older than they were. if i would have advanced from the first to the third grade, i would have been the youngest graduate of my high school at 16 years of age.

Yep. Either that or other students asked for help on their homework because the teachers could not help them or were not willing to.

Yep, Been there done that. I don't mind helping them with their homework but when it comes to a point to DO their homework for them, That is where I draw the line. It's funny because when I refuse to DO their homework for them, They get angry. :roll:

I always got into trouble in high school so I was never taunted for being bright. In fact, my graduating class had over 500 students so kinda hard to stand out! LOL!

LOL, Yeah it is quite a difference between these hearing and deaf schools. :)

Yep, Been there done that. I don't mind helping them with their homework but when it comes to a point to DO their homework for them, That is where I draw the line. It's funny because when I refuse to DO their homework for them, They get angry. :roll:

I actually got in trouble for this and that was the last straw for me. I feel sorry for a few friends of mine that had so much potential not only in school, but in sports. But, because they could not get the help or motivation that they needed, they were not able to pursue a career in sports outside of school.

Also, I took some classes at the local high school since the deaf school couldn't meed my needs on them. It was a good experience and I wish I had gone to that high school full time.

:wave:
yep....
but never used my potential, my mom reject all offers from teachers to skip grade or 2 because she want me to be with kids my age and stay in same school with kids i grew up with so the consequence of making dumb decision like that is that I had to take pre-algebra 4 times until i get into high school because they dont have "resources" at the school and my mom refuse to send me to different school. But that doesnt end there, the teacher would do everything to slow me down like skipping few required classes for sophomore year so that I take those in my junior years and I took reading test and I scored college level but the teacher decided to put down 10th grade, I was soooo pissed that i pushed the papers off my desk and left class.
I'm just tired of it plus I took special test for one company that is doing some kind of study in deaf and their intelligent level that is not part of my school or anything and I was in top 10 out of 1 thousand that the vice president of the company came andinterviewed me asking questions and asked me why am I still in this grades taking those classes when I can skip 1-2 grades and take higher level classes. I shrugged so I asked my teacher and she told me she did offered it to my parents but they rejected it I was so mad at my parents but they were stubborn so I dropped out high school I knew I wouldnt graduate at this rate so why keep going so I got GED right away by passing all tests without classes or anything
Took IQ its 137 not bad
And I lost interest and stopped caring so hence not using my potential

i wish the psychologist at my high school would have been equally attentive to my congenital total blindness. he administered the wisc (weschler's intelligence scale for children) in 9th grade and my culmulative score was lower than it normally would have been given the fact i was asked questions that were visual in nature. because of being born totally blind, i didn't understand some questions since i've never had sight to understand what they mean.

for example, one question might ask me to evaluate two pictures and indicate what was different about them. the psychologist would describe the pictures to me and i was expected to give an answer based on his description. after answering a number of questions in this fashion, it became overwhelming to the point where i could no longer concentrate on the questions themselves.

another question might require me to look at a picture of an odometer and ask me to analyze specific information about it. since i don't know what an odometer looks like, it would be impossible for me to answer this question.

I also experienced this problem, and I'm pretty sure it's common to most blind children, even those who were not born completely blind or born without useful sight.

I scored very much above the norm, but I always do wonder where I'd have scored- and how it would have impacted the choices those around me made about my education- if I had been sighted.

IQ testing for deaf and hard of hearing students is VERY tricky indeed. How do we modify and accommodate appropriately, and yet the results will still reflect the true intergrity of the test?

The WISC has been modified for use with deaf/hoh students, as well as for use with blind students. Both revisions have been tested for validity and reliability, and have been standardized.

The WISC has been modified for use with deaf/hoh students, as well as for use with blind students. Both revisions have been tested for validity and reliability, and have been standardized.

Funny because I was just told that very same information today at a meeting. :) YAY for WISC! :)

But I do wish we had more standardized testing that was designed for deaf and hard of hearing students...we need more formal assessment tools out there.

Funny because I was just told that very same information today at a meeting. :) YAY for WISC! :)

I guess my timing was good, then. I had automatic backup for my post!:lol: I was just delayed in getting a response done.

But I do wish we had more standardized testing that was designed for deaf and hard of hearing students...we need more formal assessment tools out there.

I do agree with you on that one. The WISC is but one assessment tool. Too often, public systems in particular, use assessments that are standardized for the hearing population, and attempt to make accommodations on the fly. Hardly reliable results.:roll:

I do agree with you on that one. The WISC is but one assessment tool. Too often, public systems in particular, use assessments that are standardized for the hearing population, and attempt to make accommodations on the fly. Hardly reliable results.:roll:

So does that mean my IQ is not really 157? Or I am actually smarter than Einstein?:cool2:

Probably smarter. One tends to do better on the tests that have been standardized for special populations.

I am old as you know. I also know that parts were taken away when I was given them as a child. So I know I would have come out lower except for accomodation.

I am old as you know. I also know that parts were taken away when I was given them as a child. So I know I would have come out lower except for accomodation.

Indeed. Accomodations allowed for a more accurate score. The advantage of the newer revisions is that instead of simply leaving parts out, those parts are amended to account for cognitive differences, so we are now able to get a more accurate picture of overall functioning. Students tend to score even better on the amended tests.

I don't know about gifted but yeah, I can identify with most of you. I was bored in high school and pestered the school administration to let me take the Gally entrance exam when I was 14. They told me I was too young and not mature enough despite the fact that I had the highest score of my high school on the Stanford Achievement Test and I was in the 9th grade!! So I took the Gally entrance exam in my Jr year along with the rest of my class and passed easily. Spent my entire Sr. year goofing off and just waiting for graduation day to come. The school also gave me an IQ test as part of my evaluation and would not tell me how I did on the test. They said they didn't want me to get a "big head" and think I was smarter than everyone else. Oh well, that was 30 years ago. If I had it to do over again I would've been more assertive and went on to college regardless of my age or how the school adm. felt about it. If someone had stepped up for me back then, things may have turned out differently and I might not be another classic underachiever. Oh well...

I don't know about gifted but yeah, I can identify with most of you. I was bored in high school and pestered the school administration to let me take the Gally entrance exam when I was 14. They told me I was too young and not mature enough despite the fact that I had the highest score of my high school on the Stanford Achievement Test and I was in the 9th grade!! So I took the Gally entrance exam in my Jr year along with the rest of my class and passed easily. Spent my entire Sr. year goofing off and just waiting for graduation day to come. The school also gave me an IQ test as part of my evaluation and would not tell me how I did on the test. They said they didn't want me to get a "big head" and think I was smarter than everyone else. Oh well, that was 30 years ago. If I had it to do over again I would've been more assertive and went on to college regardless of my age or how the school adm. felt about it. If someone had stepped up for me back then, things may have turned out differently and I might not be another classic underachiever. Oh well...

I spent most of my senior year the same way, goofing off and I was just really bored in class. Some of the teachers were also lazy and sometimes they'd just tell us to use the computers or read or do homework for other classes instead of a lesson plan. We went to look at colleges and they put a lot of pressure on me to go to Gallaudet and I didn't want to after visiting it. Gallaudet offered me a honors scholarship and I declined. NTID offered me a scholarship as well. I chose NTID (stupidly without visiting it first)and when I went there, I was socially unprepared, I fucked up and they threw me out after only 2 months. My deaf school didn't bother to properly discipline me and gave the the sense that I was invincible and getting in trouble in the real world was the wake up call I needed. I think they were afraid of looking bad if word got out about my troublemaking and I was the best student they had at that time (Valedictorian, honor roll, high SAT scores, etc).

I am much better off but I am still somewhat bitter at those teachers and the school I went to. I don't want to associate with the alumni stuff anymore and I will never give them a penny whenever they ask us for yearly donations. They did help me out but my senior year was a trainwreck and given a choice, I would probably do it all over again because when I left NTID, I didn't go back to college (community college of vt) until 2003. Now that I'm an UVM student, I love it and I should have chosen UVM years ago because it fits so well with my academic skill level.

:hmm:

Notice tht the author of this thread started this topic almost 10 days ago and hasn't been back on to discuss it furthur?

I think the author just wanted to gloat/rub it in a little....:roll:

:hmm:

Notice tht the author of this thread started this topic almost 10 days ago and hasn't been back on to discuss it furthur?

I think the author just wanted to gloat/rub it in a little....:roll:

You may be the only one who did not realize this from the get go!:cool2:

Back