Were you deaf and 'gifted' ?

wunderkind

Reaction score
Can anyone here who is deaf relate to having been in a special class for children who were deemed 'gifted'?

I am 33, profoundly deaf, and was mainstreamed with hearing kids for most of my childhood. In kindergarten, I was placed in a special program for children who performed exceptionally at I.Q. testing (often WAIS-C) that many schools often require of children who have any form of 'disability' (sue me). I was the only one in this 'gifted' class until third grade, when a new hearing kid finally tested high enough to qualify for the program and joined my class. The program was called TAG (Talented and Gifted). As I was bounced between four school districts from elementary to high school, I discovered that the gifted program had different names at each school - GT (Gifted and Talented), ELC (Enhanced Learning Center), and IS (Independent Study).

In eleventh grade, I ended up attending Kansas School for the Deaf (which is another story) and discovered the lack of a program for 'gifted' students there. Interestingly, KSD did administer the adult version of the WAIS I.Q. test. My test result unfortunately generated alot of hype and high expectations on campus: after recommending that I take classes in community college instead, they would later learn that I was actually a homework-hating underachiever who didn't give a rat's ass about school.:laugh2:

In case you've gotten serious douche chills following me up to this point, I'll have you know that I believe the notion of I.Q. (as determined by a sanctioned test such as the WAIS) is questionable, as there are many different types of intelligences. I do not personally rely on an I.Q. test result to validate myself in any way - I do not think of myself as 'smarter' or 'better' than anyone. Everyone is exceptional in their own way!

However, I do know that I am 'different' - I possess an array of traits and mannerisms that are commonly attributed to what they call a 'gifted' person. Even though I can pull off some pretty impressive stunts, not all of these qualities are beneficial or even desireable. 'Gifted' people do have shortcomings that cripple their ability to function in certain ways in a social or educational setting. It's like how every comic book superhero has a counterbalancing vulnerability. I'm vulnerable to 'kryptonite' too! :lol:

Being deaf didn't help any - I had spent most of my life wrongly attributing certain differences to my hearing loss. Even my family and friends were convinced that my hearing loss was the explanation for certain idiosyncrasies of mine. However, I always knew deep down inside that something didn't add up - that I was 'different' from the other deaf or hard of hearing kids. I could never fully determine exactly 'how' I was different.

I did not truly understand myself until I was well into adulthood, when I came across up-to-date information on the virtues and vices of being 'gifted' on the web. It was a moment of awakening for me - I finally had a clear idea of who I am, and what I am capable of. I was a late bloomer. During my time back in the late 70's, the gifted program in public schools was newly established & 'giftedness' was not as fully understood as it is now. Nowadays, children who enter the program are better taught to identify and handle their differences. Many gifted children actually have unique issues that need to be addressed in order to maximize their potential, otherwise they will likely fail in school and possibly at life.

Being both deaf and 'gifted' is a very interesting condition. It brings up interesting questions, like: how do deaf institutions deal with students who meet the criteria for giftedness, and are they properly addressing their needs? As I mentioned previously, Kansas School for the Deaf did not have a gifted program, though they did administer I.Q. tests to their students. I'm guessing that most, if not all, deaf institutions do not properly address the needs of these exceptional deaf kids, and consequently, many of them may become as conflicted as I once was during the course of their childhood education and ultimately, life. There's also a doubtful possibility that once a 'gifted' deaf child is identified, a recommendation is made to place the child in public school instead.

So, any deafies out there like myself, who have been through this experience? I know that I am not alone in this world - there apparently are some very smart people on this site!

Last edited:
i never attended any programs for the gifted in elementary or middle school, but i did when i was in high school. i participated in accelerated honors courses (through the gifted and talented program) and was a member of our high school's academic decathalon team.

i know exactly what you mean about the interesting correlation between being deaf and gifted. i feel the same way about being deafblind and gifted. many people doubt my abilities and talents because of my deafblindness, but after discovering the many things i *can* do (and peforming way beyond their expectations), they automatically think that i'm this amazing person who defies all odds.

sometimes i feel as if i'm living on two spectrums. on one hand, i'm living my life day by day trying to counteract the negative stereotypes sighted-hearing people have about the deafblind and on the other, i'm afraid of revealing my giftedness for fear of being perceived as a boring bookworm who has no other interests in life outside of academia and the like.

if you'd like to continue discussing this further, i'd be interested in reading your comments.

Ha, douche chills!

Sad when deaf kids slip through the cracks in any circumstance Everyone deserves attention, no matter what.

I wasn't in any accelerated class even though peeps knew about my 'needs' being different from other deaf kids in elementary school. They just fawned and awwed whenever I grasped concepts quickly on my own. It made me feel a bit resentful in feeling like a sideshow trick pony. I did things on my own most of the time - especially with the reading. I suspect I just happened to be good at memorizing things, and I guess that saved my ass more than once.

However, when I got into high school at a deaf school, I was put in AP classes. At Gallaudet, they put me in these honor classes. I wasn't really that ambitious either (unfortunately), but liked history and psychology the best. Kinda drifted through college because it was expected of me. Looking back, although I got a degree; I should have just been better about acquiring the whole education dealio.

I do agree that no one is more special than others - we are just made differently in good ways and we all do eventually reach the same destination. The downside about making a big deal about a 'gifted' child is that other kids feel they are lacking in something. I don't think that is really fair. I don't see a perfect situation yet, though, because everyone has these different needs... not denying that at all.

Does IQ truly effectively measure the outcome of our intellectual development? Is that your question?

Hear Again, I guess you got sick of peeps comparing to you as the second coming of Helen Keller? :lol:

Hear Again, I guess you got sick of peeps comparing to you as the second coming of Helen Keller? :lol:

yes, i did. the comparison got old REAL fast, so sometimes i would deliberately hide my intelligence just so i wouldn't have to deal with those who thought i was as "special" as she was. :giggle:

Can anyone here who is deaf relate to having been in a special class for children who were deemed 'gifted'?

I tested high on the IQ test, was recommended for the TAG program in my HS (I was the only deaf student there among 1500 students or so)but as soon as I found out who was in that room--I said HELL NO.) Mom listened and let it go. I did not like the person in charge and refused to spend any more time with her. She was a real crappy art teacher. I didn't even bother to take AP classes. My sister did! What really mattered was I graduate HS meeting all NYS Regents requirements and be happy. I even rigged my senior classes so I'd be out of school by 1230pm and ride my horse everyday! Report card time was minimal stress---it was on me to do well, not under threats by parents. I graduated in top 1/3 without notetakers and interpreters. In a nutshell, I go thru HS with some help from friends and teachers. I got a scholorship to RIT at my HS graduation!

Like you, I "underachieved"!
I didn't even want to go to college for a year, but Mom made me saying education is paramount. I majored in Biomedical Photographic Communications. I got into this program straight from HS, bypassing NTID. I didn't even go to either SVP or RIT Orientation. I had a real bumpy start in my first photography classes then got rolling but the desire to get straight A's was not there. Kept on underachieving all the way to graduation!

I do not personally rely on an I.Q. test result to validate myself in any way - I do not think of myself as 'smarter' or 'better' than anyone. Everyone is exceptional in their own way! Ditto

However, I do know that I am 'different' - Ditto. I've been told by my first year RA that I'm different from everyone, hearing and deaf. He was looking at me in a very weird way as if I came to this planet from a remote star system. Even Mom knew I'm different, destined to do something big.

I was a late bloomer. Ditto

Being both deaf and 'gifted' is a very interesting condition.

So, any deafies out there like myself, who have been through this experience? I know that I am not alone in this world - there apparently are some very smart people on this site!

In case this comes out messy, I couldn't "preview post"

My IQ tests high, but I found life pretty tough in the mainstream

High IQ has never given much advantage that I can find.

I was in the GT program in my public high school; when I moved to a residental school for the deaf, they didn't have that program. As a result, I had to take college classes to supplement my high school credits, which I thought was unfair and unreasonable. I would love to see GT programs in deaf schools across the country.

My IQ tests high, but I found life pretty tough in the mainstream

High IQ has never given much advantage that I can find.

i also have a high iq, but it really hasn't benefitted me in any way, shape or form.

like the op, i'm of the opinion that there are different types of intelligence (i.e. excellent communication and interpersonal skills, musical abilities, creative abilities, etc.) and people like myself who have high iq's are no better than anyone else.

two of my "gifts" that have served me well have been my creative and musical abilities. thanks to my love for writing, singing and playing musical instruments, i'm able to express myself and turn a skill i do well into something that's enjoyable and gives me pleasure -- which is so much more than what a high iq alone provides.

I was removed from the Deaf Unit, into full mainstream when i was 8 1/2 - 9 and struggled right through until i left school at 18.
Look most people replied here already, it was a massive struggle, i was 'gifted' not in any special 'high academic way' but soley in the audist sense... i was though best in class in art, and in computer subject lioe 2-3 best in the entire school, but i lacked so badly behind in the emotional, personality, social, the maturity department i was way way back, which is not surprising as i THOUGHT i 'knew' hearing culture - i didn't. and Slightly of topic here, from some comments posted in this forum some academics have said 'we are automatically absorbed into the hearing culture' I would argue that is a mistaken assumption, yes we were forced to assimilate (if possible) but we never really were in it

i was told i have high IQ, but i dont beleieve them, i think it was just a motivational tactics they employed on me and my parents.
I agree alot with Defbaja, bottesini and liza
Cheers

oh, hi Baja, im looking up gardners theory, interesting.. but atm its too much to read and think , i have other more serious materials to attend but will look at it later
Cheers

Not gifted here..but was considered "bright". Whatever that means...I just see myself having strenghts in certain areas and weakness in other areas. To me, having a high IQ is not important.

yes, i did. the comparison got old REAL fast, so sometimes i would deliberately hide my intelligence just so i wouldn't have to deal with those who thought i was as "special" as she was. :giggle:

I know the feeling. I'm not gifted. I'm just on the high side of average in IQ but at one stage the media did take an interest in me and made me into some sort of helen keller act alike.

What is your IQ anyway? Sorry if I'm being nosy. I'm just curious.

Well, I've been considered very bright all my life. I don't think I'm all that smart - I just happen to be good in English and Art. Math was never a subject I did well in.

I was in honor class at MSSD. I'm told that in my senior year, my teachers considered letting me take freshman English at Gally but because I tended to be late with homework and being organized isn't my strong suit, they thought it best to let me stay in 12 grade honor class.

I remember when I went to Gally, someone was so underwhelmed with my ability to be organized that I got called an "English 50" student. I never told him I was in honor class at Gally. This was before my ADHD dx.

I'm hoh, LD AND gifted. It's really weird.....I was reading an article about gifted hoh kids somewhere and the article was SO SPOT on about describing me.
I was mainstreamed to the max.....got the attitude " Oh she's so smart....she doesn't really need accomondations. She should be in Honors English"
I did a gifted talented class for two years in high school, which was wicked fun! I didn't really come into my own until I was in college and got approreate accomondations.

I'm hoh, LD AND gifted. It's really weird.....I was reading an article about gifted hoh kids somewhere and the article was SO SPOT on about describing me.
I was mainstreamed to the max.....got the attitude " Oh she's so smart....she doesn't really need accomondations. She should be in Honors English"
I did a gifted talented class for two years in high school, which was wicked fun! I didn't really come into my own until I was in college and got approreate accomondations.

actually, the incidence of giftedness combined with ld is quite common.

my high school used to have a program for ld students and several of them had extremely high iq's. the only difficulty these students had was learning how to incorporate what they already knew with concepts/ideas that were presented to them in class.

one problem i think gifted ld students face are teachers who only see their learning disability/disabilities instead of their talents.

i was misdiagnosed as having a learning disability and it wasn't until i fought the system in 11th grade that i was allowed to join our school's gifted & talented program and academic decathalon.

when i was given a test at my university freshman year to determine whether or not i had a learning disability, the test was negative and showed no deficits whatsoever in any subject areas.

instead, it demonstrated that i had skills which were at least 4 years above grade level. (note: i don't mention this to brag, but only to point out how common it is for gifted students to be misdiagnosed as ld.)

Well, I've been considered very bright all my life. I don't think I'm all that smart - I just happen to be good in English and Art. Math was never a subject I did well in.

I was in honor class at MSSD. I'm told that in my senior year, my teachers considered letting me take freshman English at Gally but because I tended to be late with homework and being organized isn't my strong suit, they thought it best to let me stay in 12 grade honor class.

I remember when I went to Gally, someone was so underwhelmed with my ability to be organized that I got called an "English 50" student. I never told him I was in honor class at Gally. This was before my ADHD dx.

deafskeptic,

the same thing happened to me when i was placed in a remedial english class in 9th grade.

fortunately, my english teacher recognized my skills and evaluated me on a regular grading curve since all final grades received in remedial courses equated to a full letter grade below it. (i.e. a final grade of "a" equaled a "b," etc.)

because of that, i was able to transfer to a regular english course the following year and from there, to accelerated/honors engish in 11th and 12th grade.

Last edited:
Hey is it possible for one to be bright and at the same time be very forgetful? I never understood why I am like that. Laziness maybe?

I was some of smartest kids at my deaf school. But they never had resources to place kids like me in advanced or gifted classes. I kinda got ignored in middle and high school. I even asked to be placed in honor classes but they said they cannot because they don't have anything like that for students like me. So in the end, I just got sick of it and transferred to public school to get more challenge but because I transferred so late they did not place me in honor classes. That was okay because I was still adapting to different pace of their education system than those in deaf school. My sis was placed in gifted program.

But yeah, I hear the comments that I am "smart" all the time and even won award for highest GPA at deaf school. Now I look at that award and don't really feel proud of it. I just feel a bit ashamed for getting that award for some reason.

I was in top 10% in public school despite not being in honor classes and I am currently attending graduate school.

But yet one of my weakness is whether I don't use skills I tend to forget them. Dunno why. This is one reason I should have been placed in advanced classes so I can be challenged.

I was one of those day dreamer, at deaf school I was so bored that a lot of time I ended up wandering in "other" world. Heh. That probably saved my sane.

It is such a shame that my deaf school did not provide anything to aid "gifted" or "bright" students during my time. Hopefully, other deaf schools provide something for those kids.

I just think in the end, whether you are bright or not, if you are deaf then you won't get equal access to education in some places anyway.

silentwolfdog,

i can definitely relate to being bored in class.

when i was in a remedial english class in 9th grade, i was bored beyond belief. some of the things we discussed in class included the basic rules of punctuation, how to address an envelope and how to write a business letter. we also read a simplified version of romeo and juliet.

i was *so* glad to finally enter a regular english class the following year.

when i entered accelerated/honors english in 11th and 12th grade, it was a perfect match for me because i was challenged academically.

i don't understand why schools for the deaf and blind don't offer honors courses for their students. if a school wants to see students perform well academically, it seems only fair that they be placed in an environment where they can be challenged instead of sitting in a "regular" classroom bored because their needs aren't being met.

one of the things i think is sad is the fact that there isn't enough attention being given to the needs of gifted students. it seems that professionals don't think gifted students need special services since they can survive on their own academically if they have to. i think this is unfair -- not to mention selfish.

after all, if students with learning and physical disabilities can have their needs met in a special program, why can't we?

I can relate to much of what's being said here. Growing up, I felt "different" in some ways from other deaf kids that I went to school with, and often am mistaken as a hearing person by deaf people who I initially meet (and no, I wasn't born hearing, but deaf). My I.Q.'s been tested at 138, and I took AP classes in high school, as well. When I went to Gallaudet, I did doctoral coursework in clinical psychology as an undergraduate. I also was admitted into a Ph.D. program after getting my master's, but had to leave because of personal reasons (that and it really wasn't the right time).

Now that I'm older (and more experienced), I have a far easier time understanding things as they really are, socially - meaning that I see things at an elevated level of perception that most other deaf (or some hearing) people can't, and it gives me an unique view at times, depending on what the situation is. Interestingly enough, it's also led to have an influence on the development of my value system, and that in itself can come into odds with some of the deaf-centric values often seen in deaf culture (and/or from lack of familiarity with concepts that are often seen in hearing culture on a near-universal basis).

Does anyone feel the same way regarding what I said just now about value systems, et cetera ... ?

Back