Were you deaf and 'gifted' ?

I agree. In fact, I think being responsible and kind is harder work than straight A's

I'm from the land of the "tall poppy syndrome" - so no idea about "gifted" deaf people.

Tall poppies tend to be ostracized, anyway.

There are many very intelligent people here. We have varying educational levels and "real world" success (whatever that is!). This is the first time that I've seen anyone try to distinguish themselves like the OP here.

It's more important to be a kind, decent person. I think that people don't get enough credit and positive feedback for being kind, responsible people. I tell my kids that they're good kids. If you send the message that a person's identity is based on his intelligence, you set the stage for either perfectionism or rebellion (depending on the person's personality and temperament). Accepting people as individuals with different talents and interests is crucial. Kids are not test scores. Neither are adults, for that matter.

Some people still see them that way and so does education politics.

Lol, been mainstreamed for my whole life except in a classroom with other deaf students when I was in kindergarten to first grade.

Wasn't in any gifted or talented program....heck, I wasn't that smart back then compared to hearing ppl (even though I was the smartest deaf student in that school).

But in middle school, I've had teachers who doubted my ability to take honors level classes or anything more challenging.....then I went to high school. I faced same doubt from my guidance counselors and teachers, but I convinced them to let me to skip 2 levels of math classes and load up on all APs and honors. Hence, I was the only junior student in my class taking AP Calculus a year younger than everybody else.

After my grade in those classes came in, they finally shut up and let me do whatever I want. In short, high school was too easy for me...I was SO BORED with high school, so I just went to look to do other things...

Now, fast forward to the winter of my senior year of high school, when I found out that I've been accepted into MIT Early Action (just one of the 500 people accepted out of 5000 applicants)....December 15, 2009 at 9 PM....I"ll never forget that day. :) I was the only student to be accepted into school like that for the first time in the school history in the last 10 years, and the first deaf student as well!

So, the point is, you don't need to be in any gifted and talented program or high IQ or anything like that as long you believe in yourself and stick up for you know what you can do. :)

Lol, been mainstreamed for my whole life except in a classroom with other deaf students when I was in kindergarten to first grade.

Wasn't in any gifted or talented program....heck, I wasn't that smart back then compared to hearing ppl (even though I was the smartest deaf student in that school).

But in middle school, I've had teachers who doubted my ability to take honors level classes or anything more challenging.....then I went to high school. I faced same doubt from my guidance counselors and teachers, but I convinced them to let me to skip 2 levels of math classes and load up on all APs and honors. Hence, I was the only junior student in my class taking AP Calculus a year younger than everybody else.

After my grade in those classes came in, they finally shut up and let me do whatever I want. In short, high school was too easy for me...I was SO BORED with high school, so I just went to look to do other things...

Now, fast forward to the winter of my senior year of high school, when I found out that I've been accepted into MIT Early Action (just one of the 500 people accepted out of 5000 applicants)....December 15, 2009 at 9 PM....I"ll never forget that day. :) I was the only student to be accepted into school like that for the first time in the school history in the last 10 years, and the first deaf student as well!

So, the point is, you don't need to be in any gifted and talented program or high IQ or anything like that as long you believe in yourself and stick up for you know what you can do. :)

Be careful, some people in here might ask you for proof like they did about my PhD acceptance at Univ. of Md in Civil Engineering. But congrats at any rate!

You can not ask me question...I am very bright person who got accepted into cornell and brown. brown is toughest to get into and take long time to screen out to search who is qualified for admit students.

Be careful, some people in here might ask you for proof like they did about my PhD acceptance at Univ. of Md in Civil Engineering. But congrats at any rate!

It won't be like that with her because I'm not getting that vibe from her. She experienced audism just like all the rest of us. (hence why the teachers gave her a pain in the butt about her ability)

btw, I never heard of mit or stanford or whatever. What does MIT stand for anyway.

Yale and harvard, yeah.

Once I tried to cut down a tree near a house. It crashed down too close to it and knocked out a window. One of the guys I worked with jerked his thumb toward me and announced, "He's gifted."

Wirelessly posted

Dunno. Never did much in high-school or post-secondary since the classes were boring to me. I've been told I probably have high EQ and IQ though.

what PFH said. she's cool. and you? you're arrogant. :)

You can not ask me question...I am very bright person who got accepted into cornell and brown. brown is toughest to get into and take long time to screen out to search who is qualified for admit students.

do not lie to us. You applied to Cornell's continuing education. It accepts anybody who apply there.

And I want to to point out that brown is not the toughest to get into....rather, out of all Ivy League, I think Harvard is toughest to get into (about 9% acceptance rate).

And I want to to point out that brown is not the toughest to get into....rather, out of all Ivy League, I think Harvard is toughest to get into (about 9% acceptance rate).

:dunno: I found getting into Harvard extremely easy for me

Back