Weight loss

Lots of great advice, one thing I can tell you is that exercise is supposed to be strenuous, not too comfortable. You have to put some effort into it at a higher intensity. One way you measure this is a percentage of your maximum heart rate. Start at 65-75% and work your way to 85-90%. Those at 100% is pretty intense, get used to the lighter level first. Because the intensity is high, a shorter time working out will suffice. And above all, be consistent! You can't just do it once or a few times, you have to integrate it into your life. Mentally, find a reason to workout that is realistic and measurable, not just "to lose weight", more like "lose 2 pounds by end of week" and so on. Keep in mind muscle is heavier body tissue, so weight can be irrelevant. Use body fat calipers and aim for 17-20% (any less is shredditude! :P )

For me it is super hard to find a work out program due to having Dystonia. It causes most of my muscles to be in a constant charlie horse state. I have huge knots in between every rib on my right hand side. My right shoulder is 3" lower then my left due to the muscles being so tight. Nothing relieves it and I will have this forever. Having a pool would be amazing. I can't due a whole lot but if I just keep moving it's better then nothing. So for all of you with healthy bodies go for it.
I'm very sorry that you have Dystonia. I have a touch of that with my PD, so I can empathize. I wish that you could have a pool; I think that would be beneficial. I wouldn't mind one myself. :)

I have the constant cramping in my right thigh, right toes, and a muscle right below my rib cage, and my right shoulder doesn't work right. It too, is lower than the other side. For me, being active feels better than sitting. But I can't live life that way. I just can't get comfortable. Things that are important to me, like attending church, driving, and doing my school work, are difficult because they require sitting.

When I can't stand it, I get on my treadmill or use my pedaling equipment to move my muscles, or do some free-weight activity.

I agree with you about those with healthy bodies--go for it while you can.

I hope you can find some relief. :hug:

I'm very sorry that you have Dystonia. I have a touch of that with my PD, so I can empathize. I wish that you could have a pool; I think that would be beneficial. I wouldn't mind one myself. :)

I have the constant cramping in my right thigh, right toes, and a muscle right below my rib cage, and my right shoulder doesn't work right. It too, is lower than the other side. For me, being active feels better than sitting. But I can't live life that way. I just can't get comfortable. Things that are important to me, like attending church, driving, and doing my school work, are difficult because they require sitting.

When I can't stand it, I get on my treadmill or use my pedaling equipment to move my muscles, or do some free-weight activity.

I agree with you about those with healthy bodies--go for it while you can.

I hope you can find some relief. :hug:

Hey Reba...we are both tough cookies and will find a way. I have to believe that otherwise I would go crazy. Today I can't turn my head, my neck muscles are worse which I am sure is from the boating yesterday. I've had Dystonia for about 20 years and have done every treatment known.

On my good days I do as much as I can but usually pay for it after. Today I'm going to see my mom and my sweet goddaughter. Tomorrow my youngest is coming over to get pedicures before she leaves for vacation. So no rest this weekend. I definitely do not need to be out in the sun....I am quite sunburned from yesterday.

We are both blessed with loving supportive husbands. I couldn't do it without mine.

I hope you can have some good days too. I am so sorry this happened to you.

I think part of the problem today is people see all there miracle weight lost pills on TV and exercise equipment that help you lose weight in "No Time At All!" I love the ad that show photos of people holding a sign of how must weight they had lost but it does not show before and after photos of the people . People should try to notice when do they snack the most they can eat for all the wrong reason too , they could be upset , depress etc.
That should be consider too and if they started taking a new med that could made them gain weight. If the OP has been trying to lose weight and is having a hard time they should go for a check up. Or the OP could eat a tapeworm that will do the trick . I heard of people doing this . GROSS!

I agree also these so called photo's are computer enhanced which I think borders on cruel insane and criminal ,should be stopped asp,people and teenagers being sold a lie and it causing deaths...
the tape worm grossly true

Drink a glass of prune juice every night and eat a daily cup of yogurt. Prune juice and apple juice. They scrub your colon clean and yogurt has probiotics that help reduce belly fat.

I grew up skinny and it didn't matter how much I ate, I could never gain weight. Now, I have the opposite problem. I eat a tiny sandwich and gain 5 pounds :shock:

Age is a factor.

Drink a glass of prune juice every night and eat a daily cup of yogurt. Prune juice and apple juice. They scrub your colon clean and yogurt has probiotics that help reduce belly fat.

I grew up skinny and it didn't matter how much I ate, I could never gain weight. Now, I have the opposite problem. I eat a tiny sandwich and gain 5 pounds :shock:

Age is a factor.

My problem as well. I worked at Jack in the Box in high school so I ate a lot of high calorie foods from there and didn't gain weight. Miss those days!

Age is a factor.

My husband eats 90% more than I do and is as skinny as the day we met. High matabalism runs in his family. I eat like a bird and still have 10 pounds to loose.
I do need to drink way more water.

Age is a factor.

Probiotics don't do anything about belly fat. They help you poop and keep you from bloating.....which I suppose might help you not look fatter than you are, but no it doesn't make you lose belly fat. Oh and prune juice and apple juice in excess will induce diarrhea so beware dehydration. You'd probably lose weight, but it's be water weight aka dehydration not exactly what you'd be going for with weight loss.

Probiotics don't do anything about belly fat. They help you poop and keep you from bloating.....which I suppose might help you not look fatter than you are, but no it doesn't make you lose belly fat. Oh and prune juice and apple juice in excess will induce diarrhea so beware dehydration. You'd probably lose weight, but it's be water weight aka dehydration not exactly what you'd be going for with weight loss.

There was actually a Harvard study in regards to yogurt and the healthy bacteria in it. It does help reduce belly fat as it increases cortisol. I I wasn't on my phone I would send the link. Will do once I am in front of a computer.

And the prune juice and apple juice helping you poop part is scrubbing the colon clean ;)

There was actually a Harvard study in regards to yogurt and the healthy bacteria in it. It does help reduce belly fat as it increases cortisol. I I wasn't on my phone I would send the link. Will do once I am in front of a computer.

And the prune juice and apple juice helping you poop part is scrubbing the colon clean ;)

If you taking priobotics help you poop, you don't need prune juice and apple juice on top of it. It'd just cause dehydration.

I mean honestly......turbo pooping is a weight loss plan now?

They did come out with a drug in the 90s that did that. Basically shot your food so fast through your system you didn't have tine to absorb fat.....or probably anything else for that matter. It's side effects were......explosive uncontrollable diarrhea, especially after meals.

Increases cortisol, the stress hormone? That sounds unhealthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Increases cortisol, the stress hormone? That sounds unhealthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Was on my phone - sorry - the calcium in yogurt decreases cortisol.

http://katherinetallmadge.com/2011/...ertain-foods-lead-to-weight-gains-and-losses/
Harvard Study Finds Certain Foods – NOT Calories – Have a Strong Impact on Weight Gains and Losses
Individual foods are more important than calories when it comes to long term weight gains or losses, according to the study. Specifically, potatoes are associated with weight gain, along with sugar-sweetened beverages and meats, while foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and yogurt, are associated with weight loss, according to the study.

A recent Harvard study confirmed what a lot of those watching their waist lines already knew: French fries, potato chips and sweet drinks are not diet-friendly. But in an interesting twist, the report found some foods can actually help adults lose weight. The surprise winner is yogurt, followed closely by nuts, fruit and whole grains, which the report found can help regular eaters lose a pound or half-pound over four years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...s-reduce-weight/2011/06/23/AGlWpohH_blog.html

If you taking priobotics help you poop, you don't need prune juice and apple juice on top of it. It'd just cause dehydration.

I mean honestly......turbo pooping is a weight loss plan now?

They did come out with a drug in the 90s that did that. Basically shot your food so fast through your system you didn't have tine to absorb fat.....or probably anything else for that matter. It's side effects were......explosive uncontrollable diarrhea, especially after meals.

Turbo pooping? :giggle:

probiotics help the digestive system break down nutrients, not help you poop. Probiotics are not a laxative. Probiotics can be found in sauerkraut ... sauerkraut has never made me turbopoop .. it might for some people though. You might be getting probiotics confused with laxatives because it helps with constipation ... not because it is a laxative, but because it helps break down nutrients. It prevents the colon from getting backed up.

And Prune Juice does not give me diarrhea ... neither does Apple Juice. A simple fix for dehydration? hydration ... drink plenty of water .. lol.

I happen to know several personal trainers with degrees in nutrition .. and ALL of them recommend a thorough colon cleanse before any exercise program (for some reason or other - they claim a clean colon is the foundation for good health).

But you know what? I like french fries more than yogurt ... oh well.

http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/6-healing-benefits-of-probiotics

*sigh* priobotics help regularity-help you poop. I didn't say it was a laxative, you inferred that. That article said yogurt can help with weight loss not that decreases belly fat-specifically.

You always "know" somebody or other, like that makes you some kind of expert by association. If you knew anything about weight loss you wouldn't be recommending prune and apple juice.....AND you know that the whole colon cleanse is just another load of cheap fad.

But go ahead and try to poop yourself skinny.

Personally I love priobotics for the anti bloat factor. I'm lactose intolerant and raw veggies bloat me right up. No problems since I started taking priobotics. Weigh the same though ;)

Ps, instead of drinking water to rehydrate after giving yourself diarrhea from drinking a bunch of juice, how about just drink water? Which, btw is a MORE common, and proven method of promoting weight loss. Drink half you body weight in ounces. Tada

P.s.s I'm not about to get real impressed with a pts "degree" in nutrition. Some might, but most won't. If they go the degree route nutrition might a been a part of their training, but they don't hold a degree in it. They're not generally nutritionists. Not that they can't be both, but again, it's not the norm. If a pt is just certified their training is even less extensive. You can get a certification to be cross fit trainer over a weekend, for example.

*sigh* priobotics help regularity-help you poop. I didn't say it was a laxative, you inferred that. That article said yogurt can help with weight loss not that decreases belly fat-specifically.

You always "know" somebody or other, like that makes you some kind of expert by association. If you knew anything about weight loss you wouldn't be recommending prune and apple juice.....AND you know that the whole colon cleanse is just another load of cheap fad.

Personally I love priobotics for the anti bloat factor. I'm lactose intolerant and raw veggies bloat me right up. No problems since I started taking priobotics. Weigh the same though ;)

Ps, instead of drinking water to rehydrate after giving yourself diarrhea from drinking a bunch of juice, how about just drink water? Which, btw is a MORE common, and proven method of promoting weight loss. Drink half you body weight in ounces. Tada

P.s.s I'm not about to get real impressed with a pts "degree" in nutrition. Some might, but most won't. If they go the degree route nutrition might a been a part of their training, but they don't hold a degree in it. They're not generally nutritionists. Not that they can't be both, but again, it's not the norm. If a pt is just certified their training is even less extensive. You can get a certification to be cross fit trainer over a weekend, for example.

weights in kilos or pounds?
i guess youd say pounds as in USA still uses imperialism...right?

so 90 pounds then 45 ounces of water daily...is this correct?

8 oz in 1 cup
so this means 45 / 8 = roughly 5 and a half cups of water a day
just curious if i read your bolded right.
thanks

Yes that's exactly what I mean, and in pounds. 8 eight ounces of water for every single person doesn't really make any more sense than everybody needing the same amount of calories if you think about right. I mean I'm 5'1 and 110 (gained some weight over the last year mostly muscle on my butt and legs) why sone guy that 6'3 and 240 pounds need the same amount of water as me, and vice versa? Why would we both need 64 ounces? Actually that'd be too much for me, not enough for him.

Any particular brand that you use or found that works the best?

I have treatment activity alots of problem. It is very problem too many treatment/ I have sparsm :( something it is happenes. something my body. surprised. activity treatment. I have loss 6 month it is pretty soon better surprised.

Back