to those BORN with severe-profound hearing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

Suzanne, I am also severely-deaf from birth. I was raised oral and wore hearing aids for a time. A few years ago, I changed my mode of communication to sign language. I now choose not to be oral as I'm tired of explaining to people that I am Deaf not ignoring you or being rude, or having to say 'what was that you said?' for the millionth time that day.
nl]I don't wear hearing aids now either because I had nothing but trouble with them. Amplification of the few sounds I could hear gave me headaches and the humidity gave me bad chaffing behind my ears and ear infections. I am happier and freer now I've decided to embrace being Deaf, instead of constantly struggling to be someone I'm not. When I was growing up, I did my best to become hearing. My mother and I worked on my speech constantly, ironing out my profound lisp, and we were so 'successful' that no one could guess I was deaf except an audiologist. I grew up into adulthood thinking I had conquered my hearing loss and had fooled everyone, even myself into thinking I was hearing. Until one day not so long ago, a few years back, I had a 'wake-up' call. I realized nothing had changed. All the memories of abasement at school, the immense effort to speak, the constant guessing what was being said and misunderstandings from people when I didn't respond, it was all still there, nothing changed. All my lifetime of training with speech therapy amounted to nothing. I was pretending to be someone I wasn't and by doing so was not only lying to people around me but also to myself. I was devastated. Honestly, to those hearing parents who say that their dhh child is happy being oral. Please think over what I have shared and that of what many formerly oral-raised mainstreamed Deaf adults are telling you. It is better to allow them to know sign language and not rely on being oral now, than be full of regrets many years down the track.

Last edited:
This thread is seriously getting derailed. The original poster asked not once, but twice for ONLY severe/profound deaf/hoh from birth to post in this thread. Hearing folks, please honor that and stay out of this thread. There's plenty of other threads for you to share your opinion as a parent of a deaf/hoh child.

Or will a third request from Suzanne be necessary?
It's not getting derailed...
Good information regarding how to use FM is shared by people that use it on a daily basis.. Including hearing parents of children that were born deaf.
Headings at the beginning of a thread have in all the time that I have been on AllDeaf been a reason not to post. Even threads that were specifically made for hearing parents of deaf children were used by members that did not fulfill that description..

This childish nagging is just too sad for words... (see below)
Any good information for Suzanne will be appreciated I'm sure.. After all, it's in the interest of her child.

Last edited:
It's not getting derailed...
Good information regarding how to use FM is shared by people that use it on a daily basis.. Including hearing parents of children that were born deaf.
Headings at the beginning of a thread have in all the time that I have been on AllDeaf been a reason not to post. Even threads that were specifically made for hearing parents of deaf children were used by members that did not fulfill that description..

This childish nagging is just too sad for words...
Any good information for Suzanne will be appreciated I'm sure.. After all, it's in the interest of her child.

So you are not going to accede to Suzanne's own request?

You can PM her with the information you believe she needs.

You can start another thread about it, or post in another existing one that is not this thread. There are plenty of them. Suzanne would probably see and read it. If not, you could PM her the direct link to it.

She has requested only severe-profound people post in this thread.

What you are doing (despite your best intentions) is making it harder to discuss the stories that Suzanne wants to hear about in this thread.

So please bow out of this thread. You have already said your piece in this thread; it is unnecessary to keep banging the drum. Or if you feel you must, you can PM Suzanne directly, or make a new thread.

Thank you.

I for one was looking forward to coming home because I know I would have free time, not at school. When i was at school, for some period that i am required to come back to the speech therapy office and work hard for it. sometimes, during the classroom, the teachers do correct me on how i speak or listen all day in the classroom. When i come home, go straight to my room and take my hearing aids off and be myself. I can find out what i like or who i go with.

Same deal for many adults who attend to work all day and now looking forward to coming home and be themselve without being interrupted or corrected by someone else.

That's what i see in having FM at home.

In my old time, i notice some kids who can speak very well with hearing aids, without using FM at home that the parents took their time to work with kids.

I for one was looking forward to coming home because I know I would have free time, not at school. When i was at school, for some period that i am required to come back to the speech therapy office and work hard for it. sometimes, during the classroom, the teachers do correct me on how i speak or listen all day in the classroom. When i come home, go straight to my room and take my hearing aids off and be myself. I can find out what i like or who i go with.

Same deal for many adults who attend to work all day and now looking forward to coming home and be themselve without being interrupted or corrected by someone else.

That's what i see in having FM at home.

In my old time, i notice some kids who can speak very well with hearing aids, without using FM at home that the parents took their time to work with kids.

I think that's a valid point. Just check in with your kids -- if the FM system is a benefit in a particular situation, they'll want to use it. If not, then don't.

I think fm systems should be available for children to try in any circumstance, though -- in class, during sports, watching tv, in restaurants, playing at the park, biking with parents. See what works well, what doesn't.

I didn't "get" the need for a personal FM system until my daughter tried one for the first time this year. She chooses to use it when she wants to -- and always wants to -- in class. She doesn't use it in lunch, recess, gym, or on the bus. She's told me she wishes she could use it in our car when I drive with the windows down, and I could definitely see a use for it in her KungFu class and in gymnastics. I know our local museums have fm broadcasts on location that would be available to her via fm receiver. So I'm looking into having it at home for these activities, as well as in class. I think of it like reading glasses. They bring words into focus for her. She knows when it helps her and can put it to good use on those occasions.

I think that's a valid point. Just check in with your kids -- if the FM system is a benefit in a particular situation, they'll want to use it. If not, then don't.

I think fm systems should be available for children to try in any circumstance, though -- in class, during sports, watching tv, in restaurants, playing at the park, biking with parents. See what works well, what doesn't.

I didn't "get" the need for a personal FM system until my daughter tried one for the first time this year. She chooses to use it when she wants to -- and always wants to -- in class. She doesn't use it in lunch, recess, gym, or on the bus. She's told me she wishes she could use it in our car when I drive with the windows down, and I could definitely see a use for it in her KungFu class and in gymnastics. I know our local museums have fm broadcasts on location that would be available to her via fm receiver. So I'm looking into having it at home for these activities, as well as in class. I think of it like reading glasses. They bring words into focus for her. She knows when it helps her and can put it to good use on those occasions.

Thank you for your honesty. I didn't realize that you have FM at home. If your girl loves having FM at home then it s worth the time to have FM. From what I see, from my old time lots of kids with HA who had no FM at home, adn they are doing very well at speaking and listening. I thought that it makes sense to me that just parents and siblings, depends on how many people in the household. Kids can learn how to control by listening between peoples voices and so. BUT I had FM when i was kid in school and didnt remember much of it. SO you guys parents know more because most of you have FM at home and see the difference with kids. FM is pretty expensive, jsut saying.

Thank you for your honesty. I didn't realize that you have FM at home. If your girl loves having FM at home then it s worth the time to have FM. From what I see, from my old time lots of kids with HA who had no FM at home, adn they are doing very well at speaking and listening. I thought that it makes sense to me that just parents and siblings, depends on how many people in the household. Kids can learn how to control by listening between peoples voices and so. BUT I had FM when i was kid in school and didnt remember much of it. SO you guys parents know more because most of you have FM at home and see the difference with kids. FM is pretty expensive, jsut saying.

We don't have it at home yet, only at school, but I'm considering trying it just because she had mentioned that she wished we had it in the car :).

Oh, why wait? I thought she does not need speech therapy as you said she seems to be doing well.

It is kind of puzzles for me. I assume other parents with deaf kids dont have FM at home yet they encourage suz to get a FM system at home while they know the thread is for Deaf/oral deaf/HOH to reply about it.

It is kind of puzzles for me. I assume other parents with deaf kids dont have FM at home yet they encourage suz to get a FM system at home while they know the thread is for Deaf/oral deaf/HOH to reply about it.

I think their idea is to encourage her to take advantage of its availability as something to try. It then depends on how helpful it is in deciding whether to go on using it or not. Even if it is kept they can be selective about when it is used.

Oh, why wait? I thought she does not need speech therapy as you said she seems to be doing well.

? I was talking about wearing a personal FM system, not having speech therapy.

? I was talking about wearing a personal FM system, not having speech therapy.

I may not understand what is the difference between FM and speech therapy. So I assume FM is for listening only through the tools to hear? so why didn't you get FM right away after your girl told you that she d like to have FM in the car?

Suzanne brought up questions about the fm system. I think the discussion is about whether or not an FM system could be useful in school, and out of school.

Csign mentioned that we parents of profound/severe deaf kids have a legal right to use our child's FM outside class -- for things as varied as sports, community activities, riding in a car -- as well. Based on that, and my daughter's wish for one in the car, I'm thinking of asking if we can take ours home to try.

I may not understand what is the difference between FM and speech therapy. So I assume FM is for listening only through the tools to hear?

An FM system is a tiny less than fingernail-sized receiver you can attach to the bottom of the HA or to CI that receives a direct transmission from a microphone. Sometimes the teacher wears the mic, so that even in the back of a loud classroom, the child can hear the teacher's voice clearly. Sometimes it's attached to a computer so in a loud classroom of kids using computers, the child can hear the sounds from the PC. Sometimes there are mics set up around the classroom, or pass-around microphones so the child can hear other students' voices when they ask questions. Lots of different ways to use it. Just brings the voice digitally right into the HA or CI.

My daughter uses one from Phonak:
http://www.youtube.com/phonakfm

Suzanne brought up questions about the fm system. I think the discussion is about whether or not an FM system could be useful in school, and out of school.

Csign mentioned that we parents of profound/severe deaf kids have a legal right to use our child's FM outside class -- for things as varied as sports, community activities, riding in a car -- as well. Based on that, and my daughter's wish for one in the car, I'm thinking of asking if we can take ours home to try.

So you have one FM at home or dont have one? I d like to know who have FM at home.

An FM system is a tiny less than fingernail-sized receiver you can attach to the bottom of the HA or to CI that receives a direct transmission from a microphone. Sometimes the teacher wears the mic, so that even in the back of a loud classroom, the child can hear the teacher's voice clearly. Sometimes it's attached to a computer so in a loud classroom of kids using computers, the child can hear the sounds from the PC. Sometimes there are mics set up around the classroom, or pass-around microphones so the child can hear other students' voices when they ask questions. Lots of different ways to use it. Just brings the voice digitally right into the HA or CI.

Yeah I had one when I was a kid. I heard teachers peeing in the bathroom when she forgets to turn it off. I remember that I dislike it when i hear teachers voice only or teachers and kids. maybe my time was not that great technolgoy compare to what they have it now.

So you have one FM at home or dont have one? I d like to know who have FM at home.

She has started using a personal fm system at school at the start of the school year. Her teacher will let us take it home tomorrow to try it out. I'll post what we find.

She has started using a personal fm system at school at the start of the school year. Her teacher will let us take it home tomorrow to try it out. I'll post what we find.

Oh so you dont have it as of right now. Nice of school to loan you a FM. FM is pretty expensive.

I got it written in my son's IEP that he takes it home so that he can use it if he is in a situation where it would be beneficial. He uses it for sports, he is able to connect it to the portable DVD player for long car rides, he used it at my Grandmother's funeral etc. I don't wear the FM at home, because I'm always signing with him, even if I'm talking so he always knows what's being said. It comes in useful for many different scenarios as has been laid out.

Another poster mentioned how tiring it is to listen- the FM system makes "listening" and understanding easier for the most part since the voice goes directly to the hearing aids.

Also, Suzanne posted pages back about parents with children with hearing loss as well to post- not just posters who are DHH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back