to those BORN with severe-profound hearing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long As FM dont cost parents then why not to take an advantage of it and use it whenever they feel like so. If Kids dont mind about FM then parents have no problem with it. Its free.

An FM system is a tiny less than fingernail-sized receiver you can attach to the bottom of the HA or to CI that receives a direct transmission from a microphone. Sometimes the teacher wears the mic, so that even in the back of a loud classroom, the child can hear the teacher's voice clearly. Sometimes it's attached to a computer so in a loud classroom of kids using computers, the child can hear the sounds from the PC. Sometimes there are mics set up around the classroom, or pass-around microphones so the child can hear other students' voices when they ask questions. Lots of different ways to use it. Just brings the voice digitally right into the HA or CI.

My daughter uses one from Phonak:
Bridging the gap - YouTube

What Grendel didn't say in this post (it is in the video from the link given though) is that an FM system is a low power radio. The idea is that by it picking up more of the speaker's voice from the mike and less of the background it makes speech easier to understand.

As long As FM dont cost parents then why not to take an advantage of it and use it whenever they feel like so. If Kids dont mind about FM then parents have no problem with it. Its free.

Right, I think most of us didn't realize we have that right, so I'm grateful to Csign for pointing it out or I might not have asked my school if I could try it out.

This shows some great uses of the system: http://www.phonak.com/content/dam/phonak/b2b/C_M_tools/FM/Hear-Better-With-FM.pdf

It's not getting derailed...
Good information regarding how to use FM is shared by people that use it on a daily basis.. Including hearing parents of children that were born deaf.
Headings at the beginning of a thread have in all the time that I have been on AllDeaf been a reason not to post. Even threads that were specifically made for hearing parents of deaf children were used by members that did not fulfill that description..

This childish nagging is just too sad for words... (see below)
Any good information for Suzanne will be appreciated I'm sure.. After all, it's in the interest of her child.

Here's a heads-up for you. After all yours, Rick's and Grendel's crying over your sandbox usage, nobody's posted in your threads in about a month now? We're listening. The least you could do is the same. Being rather hypocritical, aren't you?

And, you are posting on the outside perspective of what you think your daughter hears. People like me are posting it AS IT REALLY IS. We know what it's like to hear through an FM system. You're no different from Suzanne at this point when she is wondering what to do because she doesn't know exactly how it helps, hence why she is asking for perspective FROM THOSE BORN. You can't do any better than that. We can.

She has started using a personal fm system at school at the start of the school year. Her teacher will let us take it home tomorrow to try it out. I'll post what we find.

Not here. Start your own thread. This thread was asked repeatedly for info from those BORN deaf. Not a parent's perspective. Play in your own sandbox.

Not here. Start your own thread. This thread was asked repeatedly for info from those BORN deaf. Not a parent's perspective. Play in your own sandbox.

Grow up. I'm answering Frisky's questions.

That is not even my point and you know it Grendel. The fact is, that making a kid depend exclusively on a weak sense that is not even as good as hearing person hearing is the point. How does an auditory oral or auditory verbal trained kid cope when the technology is being fixed? Even unilateral dhh folks often have major issues hearing exclusively in noise. The equilavnt for a kid with orathpedic/physical issues would be to demand that they exclusive use a walker or a cane and not be "wheelchair bound" (even thou most wheelchair users are part time users) But oh no...can't have that...gotta make sure a physically disabled kid functions as "normally " as possible.

How did you cope when your HAs were being fixed? Were you 'nonfunctional'?

Anyone that was BORN with this kind of loss- Adult,teen or a parent who has a child with this loss that wears HEARING AIDS not a CI. any advice info will be helpful. Tell me your story. As in story I mean what can you hear ? How is your speech? Do you go to public or deaf school? Any other info you have that you think would be helpful to me would be nice. we sign ALOT aswell and thinking of an at home FM for when he starts walking/crawling. we see a SLP already and trying Auditory Verbel Therapy. I am determined to do what I can to help my son develop speech, listening skills with the hearing that he has if that is possible. Thank you to anyone who responds anything will be helpful.

Going back to your original post (OP)... I want to share this story because you were asking about HAs. Based on the various threads on this board it is evident that the right type of HAs for the right person make all the difference. Posters have discussed how sound is clear, or muddied, or loud, or too soft, etc. It may not be so evident right now for your son being as young as he is, and even your daughter, but as they get older, something to keep in mind.

Anyway, last night my husband and I went to play bingo. We play a couple times a week. They are always in bars/restaurants. The louder the bar (conversational) noise gets, the harder it is to hear the numbers being called. My husband has perfect hearing, and even he struggles sometimes. I noticed something new recently -- when I wear one of my HAs that is analog, the sound gets so drowned out/muddied by the bar noise, whereas with the other HA that is digitial, the sound is so much clearer. I actually had an easier time hearing the numbers than my own hearing hubby did. One thing I love is that they first announce the ball number (like "50"), and then "5" "0". the "50" is harder for me to hear than the "5" "0" in noisy settings. Anyways, the type of HA really makes a difference in situations like these. Just for future reference for you. You might have a future bingo player :)

Going back to your original post (OP)... I want to share this story because you were asking about HAs. Based on the various threads on this board it is evident that the right type of HAs for the right person make all the difference. Posters have discussed how sound is clear, or muddied, or loud, or too soft, etc. It may not be so evident right now for your son being as young as he is, and even your daughter, but as they get older, something to keep in mind.

Anyway, last night my husband and I went to play bingo. We play a couple times a week. They are always in bars/restaurants. The louder the bar (conversational) noise gets, the harder it is to hear the numbers being called. My husband has perfect hearing, and even he struggles sometimes. I noticed something new recently -- when I wear one of my HAs that is analog, the sound gets so drowned out/muddied by the bar noise, whereas with the other HA that is digitial, the sound is so much clearer. I actually had an easier time hearing the numbers than my own hearing hubby did. One thing I love is that they first announce the ball number (like "50"), and then "5" "0". the "50" is harder for me to hear than the "5" "0" in noisy settings. Anyways, the type of HA really makes a difference in situations like these. Just for future reference for you. You might have a future bingo player :)

YES. Exactly.And you did it, ALL without an FM. Just saying.

Here's a heads-up for you. After all yours, Rick's and Grendel's crying over your sandbox usage, nobody's posted in your threads in about a month now? We're listening. The least you could do is the same. Being rather hypocritical, aren't you?

And, you are posting on the outside perspective of what you think your daughter hears. People like me are posting it AS IT REALLY IS. We know what it's like to hear through an FM system. You're no different from Suzanne at this point when she is wondering what to do because she doesn't know exactly how it helps, hence why she is asking for perspective FROM THOSE BORN. You can't do any better than that. We can.

Exactly! An FM device might be helpful in some unusual cases, but it's not a must have. It's not nesscessarily an everyday "gotta have" in every day situations sort of thing....and here in the US, you can just borrow it from the school. That was and is my point. Plus,there are ALWAYS alternative ways to get along without at home FM device usage.....how do you think generations of dhh kids got along at home without using an FM device? They adapted and made do.

How did you cope when your HAs were being fixed? Were you 'nonfunctional'?

Nope. That is b/c I could speech read. As a matter of fact I did my senior year of high school UNAIDED, and still made honor roll! But it would have put a LOT less stress on me, if I'd had the option of ASL etc.....thatis what hearing parents do not understand. While many dhh kids can be made to artificially "hear" and talk, it is very exhausting to do so. it would be like a hearing person being limited to speaking a foreign language. You can do it, but it takes a LOT of energy. Exactly like the way my qubecocois friend could speak English very well, but at the end of the day, shed melt down and be all " I wanna speak French!" (This was at a hearing all girls camp)

Nope. That is b/c I could speech read. As a matter of fact I did my senior year of high school UNAIDED, and still made honor roll! But it would have put a LOT less stress on me, if I'd had the option of ASL etc.....thatis what hearing parents do not understand. While many dhh kids can be made to artificially "hear" and talk, it is very exhausting to do so. it would be like a hearing person being limited to speaking a foreign language. You can do it, but it takes a LOT of energy. Exactly like the way my qubecocois friend could speak English very well, but at the end of the day, shed melt down and be all " I wanna speak French!" (This was at a hearing all girls camp)

Right. So then if you were not rendered non-functional when your HA died for a year, why do you assume other students will become non-functional if their FM or CI is out of order for a day or 2 until a new one is overnighted?

Wirelessly posted

GrendelQ said:

Right. So then if you were not rendered non-functional when your HA died for a year, why do you assume other students will become non-functional if their FM or CI is out of order for a day or 2 until a new one is overnighted?

Have you ever been in a situation where for the whole day, or week, or longer where everything was on mute? Or where an unfamiliar foreign language was being spoken (people speaking but it is totally incomprehensible). Try to speech read in that scenario. Is that really functioning? Be real! Sign language and visual communication is a must.

Wirelessly posted
Have you ever been in a situation where for the whole day, or week, or longer where everything was on mute? Or where an unfamiliar foreign language was being spoken (people speaking but it is totally incomprehensible). Try to speech read in that scenario. Is that really functioning? Be real! Sign language and visual communication is a must.
Very good point...
I have.. In Denmark, Bangladesh, Greece, Spain, Italy..

When I started to work in Norway, and started to learn the language, I was tired after 12 hour shifts. Dutch and English I can follow without effort, but for Norwegian I needed to focus.. Yes.. it's tiresome..
Nowadays, with my Norwegian improved, I do not have that problem any more..

Like it or not.. very few people know sign language.
If you want to prevent getting tired of listening intensely to a language, the best thing to do is to get 100% familiar with it. And hearing would help with that.
I don't expect people in Greece to speak Dutch to me.. You cannot expect people in USA to "speak" sign language to you..

Wirelessly posted

That is a best case scenario; but it takes at least two people that know sign language for that to work.

Wirelessly posted

Jane B. said:
BecLak said:

That is a best case scenario; but it takes at least two people that know sign language for that to work.

That's why for the most part you have the accommodation of interpreters, but without sign language the Dhh person is lost.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Cloggy said:
Wirelessly posted
Very good point...

When I started to work in Norway, and started to learn the language, I was tired after 12 hour shifts. Dutch and English I can follow without effort, but for Norwegian I needed to focus.. Yes.. it's tiresome..

If you want to prevent getting tired of listening intensely to a language, the best thing to do is to get 100% familiar with it. And hearing would help with that.
I don't expect people in Greece to speak Dutch to me.. You cannot expect people in USA to "speak" sign language to you..

An unsuccessful try in twisting the point I was making and downright mean! As I already replied to Jane B. That is why accommodation is made to have sign language interpreters.

Wirelessly posted

That's why for the most part you have the accommodation of interpreters, but without sign language the Dhh person is lost.

You expect the Dhh person to hire an interpreter to follow around all day just in case they run into someone they want to talk to that does not sign?

Wirelessly posted

Cloggy said:
Wirelessly posted
Very good point...

P.s. you have most likely never had to speech read or go the whole day with everything on mute. I was not referring to learning foreign languages by the way.

Wirelessly posted

Jane B. said:
BecLak said:

You expect the Dhh person to hire an interpreter to follow around all day just in case they run into someone they want to talk to that does not sign?

There is such a thing as pen and paper. :rolleyes: Are you deliberately trying to be argumentative?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back