to those BORN with severe-profound hearing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is bc you're not seeing that the simple use of an fm device in non academic situations, is basically saying " you need to listen, listen listen, and you can't function without using this ALD. the most important thing is to listen, listen listen. We're too lazy/uncreative to think of alternative ways of you function ing without hearing, hearing, hearing all the time. Like yeah, it might be good for use in speech therapy, but mostofmth time speech therapy is an in school service.

As others have pointed out already, flip in an ASL terp for an FM system and replay your comment to see how it just doesn't make sense to argue AGAINST an accommodation that helps someone communicate:

That is bc you're not seeing that the simple use of an ASL interpreter in non academic situations, is basically saying " you need to watch, watch watch, and you can't function without this accommodation. We're too lazy/uncreative to think of alternative ways of you function ing without watching, watching, watching all the time. Like yeah, it might be good for use in comm. therapy, but mostofmth time comm. therapy is an in school service.

As others have pointed out already, flip in an ASL terp for an FM system and replay your comment to see how it just doesn't make sense to argue AGAINST an accommodation that helps someone communicate:

Wow. You will go to every length, as well as CSign, Cloggy, and Rick48, to make the Deaf look stupid?

At no time was it said that FM systems (or ASL interpreters, or other toolbox accommodations) should not be used. In fact, they ARE. All these are used by the majority of d/Deaf/HOH in schools.

What has been said is that to let the child be a child OUTSIDE of school. Let them do homework in silence if they choose. Let them go to the zoo and have fun looking at the animals. Do they need an ASL interpreter for homework or the zoo? No. They certainly don't need an FM system at that time either. Let them have some fun. That was the point being made.

Grendel, do you really have an ASL interpreter at home for Li-Li? That would be quite impressive if you did. Therefore, I would assume you don't. So, if not, why force an FM system at home then?

Yeah, Most audiolgoist did tell to parents that audiologist recommended to use FM system at home. Therefore, parents go after audiologists' advice. =X

Yeah, Most audiolgoist did tell to parents that audiologist recommended to use FM system at home. Therefore, parents go after audiologists' advice. =X

That doesn't surprise me. It is just that this entire page of posts has turned into a flame against using FMs at all, and that was NOT what was being said.

That doesn't surprise me. It is just that this entire page of posts has turned into a flame against using FMs at all, and that was NOT what was being said.

I agree. My opinion, any kids need to be their own independence in their free time at home. Kids can do one on one with family if family are in desire of teaching how to speak and listen with kids than using FM.

Grendel, do you really have an ASL interpreter at home for Li-Li? That would be quite impressive if you did. Therefore, I would assume you don't. So, if not, why force an FM system at home then?

Thanks. Yes, we have many, many times arranged for an ASL interpreter for my daughter and her deaf friends outside of school: at birthday parties, at parks in mixed groups of deaf and hearing, at many plays, at CI conferences, at bands. A couple of weeks ago we attended a festival at which there were 5 interpreters throughout the day signing every show, every band to my daughter and ~4 deaf friends. It was wonderful for her and for her friends and their (deaf) parents, no one was excluded. We haven't done so when she has been the only deaf child at an event or an extracurricular activity, but some of her deaf friends do so at community sports practices every afternoon. I posted a thread about a classmate who successfully got a terp for a community football league -- every afternoon practice + games.

Do you really see this as forcing an ASL terp on my child? Would you see it as forcing an FM on my child if he wore an FM system at football so he could hear the coach's instructions or at a play so she could hear the dialogue from far away in a noisy crowd? Why argue against any of these accommodations? They are not "forcing" anyone to do something unpleasant, they only help these kids interact with the world around them, whether it be via spoken language or sign.

Below, deaf kids being accommodated at Dave Matthews / Tim Reynolds in concert with shoulder seating :) .
Deaf kids being accommodated not only with front row preferential seating, but with amazingly talented terps!
Deaf kids being accommodated with CIs. All good.

liampstokelyonshoulders_zps0caeace5.png

terpatdave_zps21d01f20.png

Thanks. Yes, we have many, many times arranged for an ASL interpreter for my daughter and her deaf friends outside of school: at birthday parties, at parks in mixed groups of deaf and hearing, at many plays, at CI conferences, at bands. A couple of weeks ago we attended a festival at which there were 5 interpreters throughout the day signing every show, every band to my daughter and ~4 deaf friends. It was wonderful for her and for her friends and their (deaf) parents, no one was excluded. We haven't done so when she has been the only deaf child at an event or an extracurricular activity, but some of her deaf friends do so at community sports practices every afternoon. I posted a thread about a classmate who successfully got a terp for a community football league -- every afternoon practice + games.

Do you really see this as forcing an ASL terp on my child? Would you see it as forcing an FM on my child if he wore an FM system at football so he could hear the coach's instructions or at a play so she could hear the dialogue from far away in a noisy crowd? Why argue against any of these accommodations? They are not "forcing" anyone to do something unpleasant, they only help these kids interact with the world around them, whether it be via spoken language or sign.

Below, deaf kids being accommodated at Dave Matthews / Tim Reynolds in concert with shoulder seating :) .
Deaf kids being accommodated not only with front row preferential seating, but with amazingly talented terps!
Deaf kids being accommodated with CIs. All good.

And that is PERFECT to have an ASL terp at events like that. I would have expected no less from my parents. I'm rather suspecting you don't have an ASL terp at the dinner table, however. That's what we're talking about. Let kids be kids outside of school. There will always be times a terp or even FM system is appropriate. But ALL the time? No.

Last edited:
And that is PERFECT to have an ASL terp at events like that. I would have expected no less from my parents. I'm rather suspecting you don't have an ASL terp at the dinner table, however. That's what we're talking about. Let kids be kids outside of school. There will always be times a terp or even FM system is appropriate. But ALL the time? No.

Right. No one has said otherwise. :)

Wow. You will go to every length, as well as CSign, Cloggy, and Rick48, to make the Deaf look stupid?
Really? That's what you got from our posts?

I'm surprised that you see getting accurate information out there as intentional efforts to "make the deaf look stupid". SMH. No need to make this about deaf vs. hearing when that is so far from reality.

I'm surprised that you see getting accurate information out there as intentional efforts to "make the deaf look stupid". SMH. No need to make this about deaf vs. hearing when that is so far from reality.

Never said deaf vs. hearing. The only reason you're over-assuming that is because a d/Deaf poster responded to the ridiculous claims of obsession, when a simple explanation of how children should be treated as children was all that was needed. I'm not the one "so far from reality," sorry.

Last edited:
And no, I'm not deleting that. The mods can if they wish. I'm tired of the pretentious attitude being portrayed here by you, pretending to misunderstand what was really intended. Reba, who is not a frequent poster in this section, even "liked" my previous post because it clearly conveyed what was being said here - she plays no games.

Wirelessly posted

rick48 said:
Alternative to FM is of course resources like a ASL translator and a scribe to do the work for you.. 2 persons helping you to get through school
So much for independence..

Great points Cloggy for pointing out the bizarre logic espoused by one poster who rails against the use of an FM because it tethers a person to technology but she has no issue with having a person tethered to an interpreter all day to interact with the over 99% of the world that does not use any form of a signed language.

There are many tools that are available but not every tool works in every situation.

Rick

If a hearing person took half the effort that it takes for a dhh person to use speech, there would be no need for sign language interpreters. Communication would be just fine, as they would be using a visual medium that each person already has.

This thread is seriously getting derailed. The original poster asked not once, but twice for ONLY severe/profound deaf/hoh from birth to post in this thread. Hearing folks, please honor that and stay out of this thread. There's plenty of other threads for you to share your opinion as a parent of a deaf/hoh child.

Or will a third request from Suzanne be necessary?

I'd probably get those broken items fixed.

No, hearing via an HA or a CI may "never be as good as nautrally occuring hearing" as you say, but the whole point here is that naturally occurring hearing isn't really an option and doesn't exist for my profoundly deaf daughter, or for many other deaf children. Do you run after people in wheelchairs telling them that their wheels will never be as good as "naturally occurring legs", that they shouldn't use a wheelchair because it might require service someday?

That is not even my point and you know it Grendel. The fact is, that making a kid depend exclusively on a weak sense that is not even as good as hearing person hearing is the point. How does an auditory oral or auditory verbal trained kid cope when the technology is being fixed? Even unilateral dhh folks often have major issues hearing exclusively in noise. The equilavnt for a kid with orathpedic/physical issues would be to demand that they exclusive use a walker or a cane and not be "wheelchair bound" (even thou most wheelchair users are part time users) But oh no...can't have that...gotta make sure a physically disabled kid functions as "normally " as possible.

wow. You will go to every length, as well as csign, cloggy, and rick48, to make the deaf look stupid?

At no time was it said that fm systems (or asl interpreters, or other toolbox accommodations) should not be used. In fact, they are. All these are used by the majority of d/deaf/hoh in schools.

What has been said is that to let the child be a child outside of school. Let them do homework in silence if they choose. Let them go to the zoo and have fun looking at the animals. Do they need an asl interpreter for homework or the zoo? No. They certainly don't need an fm system at that time either. Let them have some fun. That was the point being made.

Grendel, do you really have an asl interpreter at home for li-li? That would be quite impressive if you did. Therefore, i would assume you don't. So, if not, why force an fm system at home then?

right on alley cat!!!!!!

Exactly. And the thing is, at home use of an FM system basically says that the parents are too dependent on using hearing and aren't creative enough to come up with alternative ways of getting the kids attention. heck, how do you think parents managed BEFORE at home FM device usage?

And AlleyCat, you're right..." Let the kid be a kid"
You read one of those brochures on FM device usage, and you almost think it's targeted towards one of those homes where an intense therapeutic approach is used. Fact of the matter is, is that expending energy on hearing exclusively is REALLY physically exhausting. For the parents who wear glasses, I suggest that you take off your glasses for a entire day. Even if you have relatively mild visual issues, you'll still be very tired from exclusively using your vision.

This thread is seriously getting derailed. The original poster asked not once, but twice for ONLY severe/profound deaf/hoh from birth to post in this thread. Hearing folks, please honor that and stay out of this thread. There's plenty of other threads for you to share your opinion as a parent of a deaf/hoh child.

Or will a third request from Suzanne be necessary?

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Hi Suzanne, I am Emily, a 29 year old with severe - profound loss since birth. I always went mainstream.... My parents did not want me to be "different". I never learned sign language and depended on reading lips, which I still do to this day. I feel they did me a great disservice by not allowing me to be streamlined into the deaf culture. Now my hearing loss has progressed some and I no longer have any speech recognition in my right ear, and very little in my left. I wish I'd learned sign before now. And I went to regular school, as you might expect. Good luck with your son!

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back