Tipping System

A group of friends and I went out to a nice restaurant in Seattle. The waitress knew ASL and was really outgoing and attuned to our needs and wants.

When our separate bill came, I gave her more than 20% whereas two of my deaf friends gave less than 5%.

We argued about it afterwards.

The next time I went back to that restaurant by myself, the waitress remembered who I was and again, I got exceptional service.

My friends went back and didn't get that great of a service from her.

Moral of the story: if you want good service, tip good. If you want shi**y service, tip lousy.

Waiters and waitresses remembers who tips good and who doesn't. And they share that information with one another.
:goodpost:

I agree with you. It's like that with me.

I went to Dave & Buster's once with my friend. This guy served us and he treated us well. We gave him a good tip for that. The next time we came in, he immediately recognized us and had our drinks ready by the time we sat down... wow, great guy!

It also happened in Rochester when I was with my girlfriend. There was this cheerful waitress who was shy with serving us considering the treatment she's always gotten from her deaf customers. However, when we showed her that we were just like every other fun customer... she loved us forever! She even got us things that weren't even on the menu. What a very helpful cheerful waitress she was!

Actually no, if those students don't expect to tip any at this specific place, then they shouldn't go there in first place. but you see they can afford a $30 meal there! just add $1 then it is $31 nothing wrong!

but glad that Gallaudet will have a workshop! Good!

Well, it really depends on the individual, not just deafies. I think it´s parent´s responsible to educate their children how to aware about tip system. Don´t blame them if they don´t know how to count how many % they should tip to. To my eyes, what and how the waitress did is disrespectful and dishonestly. What and how she did is a feeble excuse... no matter what but she knew it´s WRONG...

No excuse to blame anyone when she knew in first place that tipping is a voluntarily.

In my country, we don't tip..The waitress or waiter gets a fixed wage and the bill includes all .

Yes, me too...

It´s stress-free for waiters/waitresses!!! They do not need to rely us for tips because their bosses fix the wages for them.

Any resturant cost us (4 person) between €40 and €50 including VAT and service charge.

I can see from several threads that the waiters/waitresses keep on complaint about customer´s poor tipping... I personally disagree with those US tipping system because the boss suppose to fix the wages including anything for their waiters/waitresses, not rely customers for tips. IMO.

The next time I went back to that restaurant by myself, the waitress remembered who I was and again, I got exceptional service.

My friends went back and didn't get that great of a service from her.

Moral of the story: if you want good service, tip good. If you want shi**y service, tip lousy.

Waiters and waitresses remembers who tips good and who doesn't. And they share that information with one another.

:jaw::eek3:

I usually tip 20% (easier to figure multyolying by ".20" than ".15") sometimes rounding up or down staying within the appropriate .15 to .20 range, if they did their job. I'm not looking for them to kiss my @$$, though ZILCH if I get an attitude.

It's quite easy... To figure out the tips and all you need to do is double the sales tax from your receipt. Most state sales tax is around 8 percent.

I forgot to add one more thing, I never tip to waitress, I just feel that they have a paycheck that they earned and they don't need my tip, that is just my opinion, the only thing I tip is strippers :mrgreen:

you remind me of this crook in Reservoir Dogs where he doesn't believe in tipping. Well since you don't tip waitress and only strippers, sound like you're either a crook or not American. :giggle:

I know people don't tip in Asia and Europe (optional) but America runs, lives, survives on tips. I always tip very generously. If I were a regular patron, I usually tip a little more than actual cost.

For those who have trouble calculating tip - just look at the amount and divide by 10 for 10%. for 15% - do same as previous, then divide it by 2 and then add it together.

For example - Your meal costs $35.43 so you should tip about $3.50 for 10%. For 15%, just round them off. $35 / 10% = $3.50 and round it off to $4.. then divide it by half - $2. add $3.50 + $2 = $5.50. Since we rounded it, feel feel to tip her between $5~6.

The actual 15% is $5.31 but it's pretty damn close, huh?

Ladies and Gentlemen.... TIP'EM OR NO FOOD FOR YOU! :pissed:

Boult ...

Thanks for the 2 links of "Tipping by region - US & Oceania". :) Didn't know that we can tip here, (even though not necessary) which is news to me!

In Australia, we don't pay tip to waitress, hairdresser, taxi, hotel porter etc, but my husband sometimes pay the tip to the waitress if she is helpful and friendly, the look of waitress' face was priceless in receiving the money from him.:)

It's quite easy... To figure out the tips and all you need to do is double the sales tax from your receipt. Most state sales tax is around 8 percent.

that works too! Do what I do if you're that stingy and wants to do it by actual percentage (that's how you'll know he's/she's an accountant)

In Australia, we don't pay tip to waitress, hairdresser, taxi, hotel porter etc, but my husband sometimes pay the tip to the waitress if she is helpful and friendly, the look of waitress' face was priceless in receiving the money from him.:)

haha yea. In Europe (I don't remember which country), the bell boy delivered our luggages to our rooms for us and then my dad gave him a nice tip. He was perplexed and awkwardly accepted the tip. My dad was puzzled about his behavior but we learned quickly that it's uncommon to tip. :giggle:

It is not "could be" ..it is well known among the employees in the DC restaurants that Deaf people are notorious for not tipping so we get the bad attitudes. I learned that by going out in DC while I was at Gallaudet...one restaurant refused to serve us cuz of a prior bad experience. Oh well.

I went to the Cafe near my Deaf Club in Clapham, London, I went there to meet a deaf group before the club's opening for the first time, I order my meal, and the waitress asked me to pay first, I was baffled and asked "Why should I pay first even though I haven't see my meal yet?"

A group of deaf people came to me and tell me to pay first because of the past bad experience they had with deaf people order their meals, and walked off without paying for their meals!! I was shocked and could not believe it was real!!

I've seen few restaurants here have two different pricing for foods. Russian prices are little higher because they know Russians don't tip but many foreigners do tip especially Americans.

I think it´s parent´s responsible to educate their children how to aware about tip system.
They're not children, they're students, they should do their own homework. It's common sense, when you are being served, and if you see them working hard for you, you should tip them. :)

Don´t blame them if they don´t know how to count how many % they should tip to.
There are two ways, leaving a buck or two, or leaving a percentage of the bill. ;)

If they are college students they should be able to figure percentages.

No matter either they are college students or not. I was student at college but I am not there to study math. ;)

Anyway, some of people do have the problem with math., no matter either they were or are students.

They're not children, they're students, they should do their own homework. It's common sense, when you are being served, and if you see them working hard for you, you should tip them. :)

There are two ways, leaving a buck or two, or leaving a percentage of the bill. ;)

Do you really think all people can learn math. well? Some people have the problem with math... Did you know what illiteracy is?

Back