Tipping System

I refuse to tip Zero! I will tip less if service sucks but rendered. If I was not served at all then no tip.. hahaha

You still give tip to waitress when You point your ear to waitress that you are deaf and she/he still force talk to you and won't write on the paper?

I'm sure will glad to tip if waitress or waiter is really suck. I'll give a buck.

I usually tip 20% (easier to figure multyolying by ".20" than ".15") sometimes rounding up or down staying within the appropriate .15 to .20 range, if they did their job. I'm not looking for them to kiss my @$$, though ZILCH if I get an attitude.

Geez... I do see some deaf people don't give a tip!!!! Sheesh!!

Well I always tip when I went to a resturant. I disagree with some of you about no need to tip, I have been seeing how tough my brother have been suriviving from working at a pizza resturant, he told me that almost whole of his money go to renting the apartment and paying the bills, he only can get food from the tips, if he don't get tip then he simply don't eat at that day. :(

I always tip well to waitresses and waiters only if they serve me and/or my friends well with good attitude. If not, they get no tips, period.

I agree with you.

A waitress is correct, but she get a felony record that
rest her life that she will may not able to find a job. That's funny thing.
But it's not excusable for any people including deafies don't tip good waitress and even bad waitress.

I am familiar with the G G restaurant. Some bartenders and waitresses tend to show their bad attitudes toward the students for no apparent reasons. Trust me. I saw it happened so many times.

I never, but I don't hear so well, or ignore them if they were rude
at us.

Royale: Did you know that the D.C. Department of Health and FDA a few times ordered the G G Restaurant to close for a short time of period cuz it violated the D.C. Health and Food Safety acts and laws in the past?

No. I didn't know that. How's scary!

Boult ...

Thanks for the 2 links of "Tipping by region - US & Oceania". :) Didn't know that we can tip here, (even though not necessary) which is news to me!

It's an embarrassment for me because I'm deaf, and thanks to those Deaf Gallaudet students for being a lousy tipper. It is considered rude to not to tip, Waiters and Waitresses work their asses off, and and is this a thanks they get? Don't be surprised if you're a regular customer, and the waitress/waiter knows that you don't tip, you will not get a good service. I wouldn't want to be in your place. I've always tip, even if the service was poor I give them 10 percent, if the service was so so, I will give them 15 percent, if the service was excellent, I would give them 20 to 30 percent. :)

Tell me about it. When I was a Gally student and I went out with my friends, that was how I learned how bad it was in DC. I usually end up covering my friend's tips which I shouldnt but I just couldnt just do that because most of the waiters/waitresses always were great to us in DC.

Remmy, in the thread about Why Deaf Coffee and I said something about wanting to know how bad it is in DC regarding the tipping issue? Well, here is proof.

The waitress is wrong but she is right about many deaf people not tipping most of the time cuz I have seen evidence of it myself. I think it is mean.

If the GG restaurant has employees that demonstrate a bad attitude toward the deaf students, then the deaf students need to stop giving them their business.

On the other hand, the deaf students could be getting a bad attitude because they don't tip.[/QUOTE]

It is not "could be" ..it is well known among the employees in the DC restaurants that Deaf people are notorious for not tipping so we get the bad attitudes. I learned that by going out in DC while I was at Gallaudet...one restaurant refused to serve us cuz of a prior bad experience. Oh well.

i know some friends are cheap and selfish. sometimes i tip more when i see my deaf friends tip too little or nothing. that is really embarrased.
I agree.

At least, I'm usually with a group of deaf friends who KNOW what they're doing. So, I'm proud to be with them. ;)

There was one time when I would meet at Hooters with a few friends for WWE PPV. There was one guy there who would always claim that he already paid and accused the waitresses of cheating him. (Seriously, every single time we go there? Yeah, right. :roll:) So, we ended up covering his bill. (He was at our table and we usually got all of us on the same check.)

Well, my friends and I eventually plotted a scheme. From now on, we show up earlier and order our food... and pay our bills ASAP before he shows up. Ever since then, he would com in and try that crap on us again. Yet, we've already paid for our food... so his food was on a separate check. He couldn't screw us over again. :twisted:

I agree.

At least, I'm usually with a group of deaf friends who KNOW what they're doing. So, I'm proud to be with them. ;)

There was one time when I would meet at Hooters with a few friends for WWE PPV. There was one guy there who would always claim that he already paid and accused the waitresses of cheating him. (Seriously, every single time we go there? Yeah, right. :roll:) So, we ended up covering his bill. (He was at our table and we usually got all of us on the same check.)

Well, my friends and I eventually plotted a scheme. From now on, we show up earlier and order our food... and pay our bills ASAP before he shows up. Ever since then, he would com in and try that crap on us again. Yet, we've already paid for our food... so his food was on a separate check. He couldn't screw us over again. :twisted:

Smart move!

If the GG restaurant has employees that demonstrate a bad attitude toward the deaf students, then the deaf students need to stop giving them their business.

On the other hand, the deaf students could be getting a bad attitude because they don't tip.[/QUOTE]

It is not "could be" ..it is well known among the employees in the DC restaurants that Deaf people are notorious for not tipping so we get the bad attitudes. I learned that by going out in DC while I was at Gallaudet...one restaurant refused to serve us cuz of a prior bad experience. Oh well.

That's a darned shame!

That makes a lot of sense. Now they think all deaf people in generally tend to be poor tippers. :thumbd:

That makes a lot of sense. Now they think all deaf people in generally tend to be poor tippers. :thumbd:

That was 6 years ago..dont know if things are still the same or not. I hope not!

Guess it is if this thread was made today. *sighs*

I forgot to add one more thing, I never tip to waitress, I just feel that they have a paycheck that they earned and they don't need my tip, that is just my opinion, the only thing I tip is strippers :mrgreen:
Why do you never tip the waitress?

i remind when im going restaurant whether server or waitress says cash or credit cards but they can charges for pay!

but im usually cash for pay foods include breakfast,lunch and dinner so i dont using credit cards till i get jobs somedays i will get one soon.

i know waitress or servers says only cash or credit cards at restaurant says signs as credit cards and some says "NO PERSONAL CHECKS" at restaurant i respect that.

but im sure waitress or servers can earn cash or credit cards papers to save what needs for fun!

im sure waitress need to more respect for deaf people

A group of friends and I went out to a nice restaurant in Seattle. The waitress knew ASL and was really outgoing and attuned to our needs and wants.

When our separate bill came, I gave her more than 20% whereas two of my deaf friends gave less than 5%.

We argued about it afterwards.

The next time I went back to that restaurant by myself, the waitress remembered who I was and again, I got exceptional service.

My friends went back and didn't get that great of a service from her.

Moral of the story: if you want good service, tip good. If you want shi**y service, tip lousy.

Waiters and waitresses remembers who tips good and who doesn't. And they share that information with one another.

A group of friends and I went out to a nice restaurant in Seattle. The waitress knew ASL and was really outgoing and attuned to our needs and wants.

When our separate bill came, I gave her more than 20% whereas two of my deaf friends gave less than 5%.

We argued about it afterwards.

The next time I went back to that restaurant by myself, the waitress remembered who I was and again, I got exceptional service.

My friends went back and didn't get that great of a service from her.

Moral of the story: if you want good service, tip good. If you want shi**y service, tip lousy.

Waiters and waitresses remembers who tips good and who doesn't. And they share that information with one another.

So that means, do they have a memory of an elephant, no?

Back