The stimulus boondoggle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we have tried it the other way, and ended up in the mess we are currently in.
No, we haven't done a full-fledged tax relief and expenditure reduction in a long time. We've just played around with token tax cuts.

The answer to your question regarding social programs is quite simple, actually. Education, education, education. Empowerment, empowerment, empowerment. Removing socially created obstacles that limit ability to succeed.
I have nothing against education and empowerment but funding for them doesn't belong in a bill for economic stimulus. I'm all for removing government obstacles to success.

Plenty of non-wealthy people hire other people. Time we gave the mom and pop business the same tax breaks afforded the corporations.
Not in the large numbers that we need to snap out recession.

I'm not opposed to giving tax breaks to the small businesses along with the large corporations. All size businesses are paying too much tax.

Reagan's voodoo economics? hmmmm

...As far as others are concerned, they could always work as a janitor, cleaning lady or at McDonald's. It's a matter of getting past your pride instead of thinking that you're better than those who have minimum wage jobs.
There are only so many of those kinds of jobs available. If things get real bad, employers will layoff people from the minimum wage jobs, too. Especially as employers will have to pay higher minimum hourly wages, they will force fewer workers to work harder to make up for those they fire.

There are only so many of those kinds of jobs available. If things get real bad, employers will layoff people from the minimum wage jobs, too. Especially as employers will have to pay higher minimum hourly wages, they will force fewer workers to work harder to make up for those they fire.

That's true. Last week I built a kitchen to make it up to code, and my only pay was a reassurance of a certain amount of food at the establishment. *shrugs*

That's true. Last week I built a kitchen to make it up to code, and my only pay was a reassurance of a certain amount of food at the establishment. *shrugs*
I think more people will begin working for barter.

God forbid if that happens, Obama will have to come up with a way to expand social programs to help those who have lost their jobs.

God forbid if that happens, Obama will have to come up with a way to expand social programs to help those who have lost their jobs.

That is the problem! Expanding costs money. How do you think they will get the money (Taxes) if nobody is making money? It's the catch 22 they are trying to avoid.

That is the problem! Expanding costs money. How do you think they will get the money (Taxes) if nobody is making money? It's the catch 22 they are trying to avoid.
Correct!

The economy's done.

Remember Fareed Zakaria's terminology, this is "The Post-American World?"

Or as Peer Steinbruck, German finance minister said, "the United States will lose its status as the superpower of the global financial system."

The economy's done.

Remember Fareed Zakaria's terminology, this is "The Post-American World?"

Or as Peer Steinbruck, German finance minister said, "the United States will lose its status as the superpower of the global financial system."
It was bound to happen. Military superpower will be next to go.

It's not a catch-22. If former President Bush could find the money to spend $12 billion/month for the War in Iraq, Obama can find the money to create new social service programs.

More predictions of gloom and doom without evidence to support it?

History only repeats when those who refuse to learn from it keep doing the same things over and over.

Gee, we don't think the same! I perspect it differently from yours. Sorry. :bye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back