The stimulus boondoggle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its called open mindedness and being willing to confront your own beliefs and where they might be mistaken. Its a sign of personal growth.
That's right.

I hope those who realize they made a mistake in supporting this bill will be
"willing to confront [their] own beliefs and where they might be mistaken."

It's too bad our Congressmen didn't see the light before they voted. :(

Ladies, we were on the edge of a cliff 8 years ago, and 4 years ago we plunged into the ravine. Obama is giving us the tools to climb out. But, if you prefer to stay stuck in the ravine, be my guest.
Umm, no--that "tool" he gave us was a shovel so we can dig our hole even deeper.

That's right.

I hope those who realize they made a mistake in supporting this bill will be
"willing to confront [their] own beliefs and where they might be mistaken."

It's too bad our Congressmen didn't see the light before they voted. :(

If that should come to pass, I'm sure they will. However, I think it is more likely to play out in the opposite direction. I don't have as much confidence in the naysayers' willingness.

Exactly. At least Obama is doing something to try and help our economy which is more than I can say for former President Bush.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Umm, no--that "tool" he gave us was a shovel so we can dig our hole even deeper.

Are you going to be willing to confront your own mistaken beliefs when it plays out the other way? A sure sign of closed mindedness is predicting gloom and doom and failure without solid evidence supporting it.

Because he's only been in office for ONE MONTH?

Give me a break.
I didn't say he's pulled us over the edge yet; I said in the direction of the edge. Are you saying we should wait until we actually plummet over the edge?

Are you going to be willing to confront your own mistaken beliefs when it plays out the other way? A sure sign of closed mindedness is predicting gloom and doom and failure without solid evidence supporting it.
What makes you so sure that it will "play out the other way" without solid evidence?

There is a lot more historical evidence that cutting taxes improves the economy than raising taxes has.

How do social programs put more people back to work than business expansions?

How does attacking the "wealthy" improve employment options for the unemployed? How many "non-wealthy" people hire other people?

What makes you so sure that it will "play out the other way" without solid evidence?

There is a lot more historical evidence that cutting taxes improves the economy than raising taxes has.

How do social programs put more people back to work than business expansions?

How does attacking the "wealthy" improve employment options for the unemployed? How many "non-wealthy" people hire other people?

Because we have tried it the other way, and ended up in the mess we are currently in.

The answer to your question regarding social programs is quite simple, actually. Education, education, education. Empowerment, empowerment, empowerment. Removing socially created obstacles that limit ability to succeed.

Plenty of non-wealthy people hire other people. Time we gave the mom and pop business the same tax breaks afforded the corporations.

Because we have tried it the other way, and ended up in the mess we are currently in.

The answer to your question regarding social programs is quite simple, actually. Education, education, education. Empowerment, empowerment, empowerment. Removing socially created obstacles that limit ability to succeed.

Plenty of non-wealthy people hire other people. Time we gave the mom and pop business the same tax breaks afforded the corporations.

History still repeats. Nothin' will ever get better. There's none.

One advice for everybody, Why not just:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worse.

History still repeats. Nothin' will ever get better. There's none.

More predictions of gloom and doom without evidence to support it?

History only repeats when those who refuse to learn from it keep doing the same things over and over.

One advice for everybody, Why not just:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worse.

There you go. But hoping for the best means that you have to admit that perhaps your assessment could be wrong. Not many seem willing to do that.

Why prepare for the worst? We can't do any worse than we have over the past 8 years. From hereon out, things can only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back