The Closet Poll

What should we re-name The Closet?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. If I was really homophobic, I would have suggested to have the "The Closet" removed completely without renaming it to something else.

Seriously, if you want to change the name... be my guest.

I'm just wondering "Why now?" after no one has said anything for years.

If the majority of you really want to rename it to something else, I'll support you. :thumb:

If you really not homophobic, then why do you want to keep that name, The Closet so bad? If you support GLBT community, you would understand completely why that term is degrading GLBT communities. Please tell us what is your real reason(s) why do you want to keep that name?

"Why now?" That is really good question. I believe that many people around here are seen like they're hestitated to say something about it. Sometime some people are seen like they're waiting for someone to say something about it then they will comes along to support that issue. I honestly think anyone should stop depending anyone to do the works for them instead stand up what they believes in. That is really sad to see too many people are hestitated to say something about it.

If you really not homophobic, then why do you want to keep that name, The Closet so bad? If you support GLBT community, you would understand completely why that term is degrading GLBT communities. Please tell us what is your real reason(s) why do you want to keep that name?

"Why now?" That is really good question. I believe that many people around here are seen like they're hestitated to say something about it. Sometime some people are seen like they're waiting for someone to say something about it then they will comes along to support that issue. I honestly think anyone should stop depending anyone to do the works for them instead stand up what they believes in. That is really sad to see too many people are hestitated to say something about it.

He's right. When I join this AD, I notice "The Closet", I thought why the closet? Maybe those GLBT around the AD decided that, I just don't like it but I guess just ignore it and keep chatting about the sexual orientations. Remaning the "The Closet" are very good for GLBT I believe.

"GLBT Lounge" sounds like a place for only GLBT members. There are people who might be GLBT, but aren't comfortable about admitting it or going public about it.

If there was a bar named "The Closet", a lot of people would be comfortable going there even though it's a place for GLBT people to feel comfortable in.

If that bar was named "GLBT Lounge", then those who are not GLBT or "in the closet" might feel uncomfortable going in there fearing of being mistaken as being GLBT.

Another thing, I don't see how "The Closet" is offensive. No one has really given a very good valid reason for why it is offensive. Just by saying, "It offends me" doesn't mean it's a good reason.

I've seen people say, "I hate VamPyroX!" When I ask them why, they can't give me a good reason why. Therefore, that hate is null... void... pointless.

When you say it offends you, you should tell me why it offends you.

Again, you missed what I said. If I was really homophobic, I would have actually voted to have "The Closet" removed permanently instead of changing the name.

Whoa, hold your horses!

Your "friends" knows him in person but not you? Next time you make an accusation of something like this as its called slander...

I'm a RIT alumna and I can tell you this, he does have alot of gay/lesbian friends at RIT/NTID that will be glad to stand up for him. :giggle:

Maybe it was based on the individual itself not the orientation in your "friends" case?
Thanks babe!

Yep, I've got a lot of friends who are GLBT. I've been involved with GLBT workshops, programs, etc... for the last 8 years I've been at RIT.

In fact, I find it to be a great experience for me knowing that there are different people out there.

Where I originally come from, Texas... the exposure is slim... almost nothing. The only exposures I had to GLBT (before coming to RIT) was at a downtown arcade arena where these 2 guys were walking side-by-side with their hands in each other's back pockets; with a gal who was a student at Gallaudet, but moved back to Texas and later started dating another gal from California; and... that's pretty much it.

After coming to RIT, I was introduced to many people who were GLBT. While I didn't have a problem with it, it was a bit overwhelming since I was exposed to so many GLBT in so little time. It was like this... "Hi, I want to introduce you to this girl... she's a lesbian and that girl is her girlfriend." "See those guys? They've been dating for a couple years now."

There was one time when I thought these 2 guys were straight until one of them mentioned that he was sleeping with the other guy. I was startled at first, but I immediately got used to it. I just talked with him last week. :)

"GLBT Lounge" sounds like a place for only GLBT members. There are people who might be GLBT, but aren't comfortable about admitting it or going public about it.

If there was a bar named "The Closet", a lot of people would be comfortable going there even though it's a place for GLBT people to feel comfortable in.

If that bar was named "GLBT Lounge", then those who are not GLBT or "in the closet" might feel uncomfortable going in there fearing of being mistaken as being GLBT.

Another thing, I don't see how "The Closet" is offensive. No one has really given a very good valid reason for why it is offensive. Just by saying, "It offends me" doesn't mean it's a good reason.

I've seen people say, "I hate VamPyroX!" When I ask them why, they can't give me a good reason why. Therefore, that hate is null... void... pointless.

When you say it offends you, you should tell me why it offends you.

Again, you missed what I said. If I was really homophobic, I would have actually voted to have "The Closet" removed permanently instead of changing the name.

Do you really think GLBT would feel very comfortable to go to The Closet bar? I seriously doubt it because this is 2007 not 1982, The Closet was known as old term to decrible people who hid their sex orientation and do it in private not go public about it. Many cities around the world who have gay clubs/bars are often located underground which is known as The Closet too because some countries such as Saudi Arabia, Iran, Jordan, Russia, and China (maybe more countries than I know of) don't accept GLBT people or they will get killed or get punished. It was discret. The point is many GLBT people including me find that name, The Closet offensive because it is degrading GLBT people plus we are living in USA (some of people here are from another countries that is accepting GLBT people) that offer more freedom for GLBT people. Also that term bring bad memories back from the past.

If anyone who is not out... Hello this is public forum, people will find out about it and will spread the rumors about it. You know how many deaf people are... Anyone who is not out should use their own common senses.

He's right. When I join this AD, I notice "The Closet", I thought why the closet? Maybe those GLBT around the AD decided that, I just don't like it but I guess just ignore it and keep chatting about the sexual orientations. Remaning the "The Closet" are very good for GLBT I believe.

Well... You should say something about that long time ago.

Do you really think GLBT would feel very comfortable to go to The Closet bar? I seriously doubt it because this is 2007 not 1982, The Closet was known as old term to decrible people who hid their sex orientation and do it in private not go public about it. Many cities around the world who have gay clubs/bars are often located underground which is known as The Closet too because some countries such as Saudi Arabia, Iran, Jordan, Russia, and China (maybe more countries than I know of) don't accept GLBT people or they will get killed or get punished. It was discret. The point is many GLBT people including me find that name, The Closet offensive because it is degrading GLBT people plus we are living in USA (some of people here are from another countries that is accepting GLBT people) that offer more freedom for GLBT people. Also that term bring bad memories back from the past.

If anyone who is not out... Hello this is public forum, people will find out about it and will spread the rumors about it. You know how many deaf people are... Anyone who is not out should use their own common senses.
How does it degrade GLBT people?

How does it degrade GLBT people?

I'll take a stab at why for SOME of us, it might be offensive.

For some gay people, being in the closet was a shameful time in their lives, when they felt that they had to deny who they are/were, to fit in with society.

For some gay people, the closet is viewed as the place where a lot of homophobic people would like to stick us and forget about us.

For some gay people, once they came out of the proverbial closet, they vowed never to return.

For some gay people, the metaphor of the closet is one in which that's the place were secrets are kept, where things you don't want people to see are kept. This runs counter to gay pride. In fact, being in the closet is pretty much the diametric opposite of having pride in being who are you (gay). Being in the closet is the anti-pride, for some gay people.

You'll notice that for each of my entries, I used "For some gay people,...". Like straight people, not all gay people are alike, and not all of us will be offended by the same things. Or, if we are... it's to different degrees.

Speaking for myself, I'm not *offended* by the name, per se... but I think it's ignorant, and if the opportunity were to arise to change it, I'm for it.

Let me see if a few non-gay analogies might help put things in perspective for you:

Do you think folder called "Back of the Bus" might be offensive to African-Americans?
How about "Barefoot and Pregnant"? Or, "In the Kitchen"? Any women out there find that offensive?

Use of any of those above could be construed as either A) perpetuating offensive stereotypes, or B) implying that those places are where certain minority groups BELONG, which is offensive.

Again, not everyone is going to feel the same, or to the same degree... but if ENOUGH people find it offensive, and it's easy enough to change, why not do so?

I'll take a stab at why for SOME of us, it might be offensive.

For some gay people, being in the closet was a shameful time in their lives, when they felt that they had to deny who they are/were, to fit in with society.

For some gay people, the closet is viewed as the place where a lot of homophobic people would like to stick us and forget about us.

For some gay people, once they came out of the proverbial closet, they vowed never to return.

For some gay people, the metaphor of the closet is one in which that's the place were secrets are kept, where things you don't want people to see are kept. This runs counter to gay pride. In fact, being in the closet is pretty much the diametric opposite of having pride in being who are you (gay). Being in the closet is the anti-pride, for some gay people.

You'll notice that for each of my entries, I used "For some gay people,...". Like straight people, not all gay people are alike, and not all of us will be offended by the same things. Or, if we are... it's to different degrees.

Speaking for myself, I'm not *offended* by the name, per se... but I think it's ignorant, and if the opportunity were to arise to change it, I'm for it.

Let me see if a few non-gay analogies might help put things in perspective for you:

Do you think folder called "Back of the Bus" might be offensive to African-Americans?
How about "Barefoot and Pregnant"? Or, "In the Kitchen"? Any women out there find that offensive?

Use of any of those above could be construed as either A) perpetuating offensive stereotypes, or B) implying that those places are where certain minority groups BELONG, which is offensive.

Again, not everyone is going to feel the same, or to the same degree... but if ENOUGH people find it offensive, and it's easy enough to change, why not do so?

Again :gpost:!! :)

You said "in the closet". The title is "The Closet". You're referring to how "in the closet" is considered offensive. I can understand that being offensive. However, "The Closet" can mean "in the closet" or "out of the closet" depending on how people want to identify themselves. Those who are in the closet can comfortably enter without being identified as GLBT or not. Those who are out of the closet can also enter openly as GLBT.
Stick you there and leave you? Nah! Have you ever actually asked straight people how they feel instead of only GLBT people?
So, if we do change the name... how do you know it won't be offensive in the future?

You said "in the closet". The title is "The Closet". You're referring to how "in the closet" is considered offensive. I can understand that being offensive. However, "The Closet" can mean "in the closet" or "out of the closet" depending on how people want to identify themselves. Those who are in the closet can comfortably enter without being identified as GLBT or not. Those who are out of the closet can also enter openly as GLBT.

A debate in semantics. Do you think you'd be able to successfully argue that a folder named "Back of the Bus" for African-American deaf people here on this forum could mean "NO LONGER AT the Back of the Bus", rather than "STILL AT the Back of the Bus"? The location, and what it represents are what some find offensive, no matter if you've managed to "escape" it, or not.

Stick you there and leave you? Nah! Have you ever actually asked straight people how they feel instead of only GLBT people?

First of all, I said "a lot of homophobic people", not "all straight people".

And of course I have. And, of course, I've had the opinions of homophobes thrust AT me, regardless of whether or not it was solicited. I've lived that life, have you?

So, if we do change the name... how do you know it won't be offensive in the future?

I don't. But I do know that the current name is found offensive by some people here. If the opportunity is presented to have input from the (target) membership of said folder, then so be it. Alex is ultimately the one with the authority to change it, or not. If he chooses to, great. If not, that's his prerogative. My understanding, however, is that the site administrator suggested that a poll be created, and a discussion had. That's what's occurring.

That's like saying that you will never understand my life cuz I'm straight.

Not quite.

While we might not know what it's like to BE straight, we know what it's SUPPOSED to be like. Society pretty much drills it into us from birth onwards.

We live in a straight world. Our parents (I'm assuming) are straight. Most of our elected leaders (I'm assuming) are straight. There are more of you (I'm assuming) than us. We know what it's like to live in your world.

Do you know what it's like to live in ours? Even with the "inundation/saturation" of the "gay agenda" in the media these days? (Obviously, not MY words, but a summary of another person's opinion I've seen in another forum).

That's like saying that you will never understand my life cuz I'm straight.

Actually, I was "straight" for almost all of my life and I have been involved in straight world all of my life. I know what it is like. Nice trying though.

Actually, I was "straight" for almost all of my life and I have been involved in straight world all of my life. I know what it is like. Nice trying though.
Then saying that I don't understand what it's like cuz I'm not gay doesn't apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back