Teaching? I wanna QUIT!

I will check Lexington out this week
Good, good good! Maybe also try the California Schools for the Deaf? Also........*tries to think* Maybe the Arizona and New Mexico ones as well?
You know..........one thing you might want to do, is although your state doesn't have a Deaf School, maybe contact a Deaf School in a neighboring state. Like I know that NH dhh kids can attend the deaf school in Vermont, since it doesn't have a deaf school of its own. I remember too that there was a student from Cape Cod who was attending ASD, even thou we do have a Deaf School and some Deaf programs. Maybe too suggest to the noninvolved parents that maybe a residental placement out of state might be a good idea. Are there any kids who are from stereotypical "ghetto" families? You could suggest that their kids might be safer out of state.
I really do think that if you managed to send a couple of the Deaf kids to a educational facility that would better serve them, your job would be MUCH easier. (and they'd get instruction from teachers who really know how to teach kids with their particualr issues)
Vampy, Nebraska doesn't have a huge Spanish population I don't think. That would be like Kansas having a huge deaf population.

Unfortunately, burn out is common in your field. IMO, for just the reasons you have stated. Children who are confused regarding linguistic systems, and are not receiving proper support outside school, and are so language delayed that teaching is reduced to remedial efforts.

yes, I went through my experience to work with Deaf children who have their emotional disburb. Had to deal with those children resistance. My body became sore and exhaust at end of day. I am glad, I did make the right decision to leave that job.

Good, good good! Maybe also try the California Schools for the Deaf? Also........*tries to think* Maybe the Arizona and New Mexico ones as well?
You know..........one thing you might want to do, is although your state doesn't have a Deaf School, maybe contact a Deaf School in a neighboring state. Like I know that NH dhh kids can attend the deaf school in Vermont, since it doesn't have a deaf school of its own. I remember too that there was a student from Cape Cod who was attending ASD, even thou we do have a Deaf School and some Deaf programs. Maybe too suggest to the noninvolved parents that maybe a residental placement out of state might be a good idea. Are there any kids who are from stereotypical "ghetto" families? You could suggest that their kids might be safer out of state.
I really do think that if you managed to send a couple of the Deaf kids to a educational facility that would better serve them, your job would be MUCH easier. (and they'd get instruction from teachers who really know how to teach kids with their particualr issues)
Vampy, Nebraska doesn't have a huge Spanish population I don't think. That would be like Kansas having a huge deaf population.

Thanks for all of the suggestions :)

yes, I went through my experience to work with Deaf children who have their emotional disburb. Had to deal with those children resistance. My body became sore and exhaust at end of day. I am glad, I did make the right decision to leave that job.

It's a job that is not meant for everyone. It takes a lot of stigma to keep up with children with special behavior problems.

You're welcome! I really think that if you reduced your student load, it would be better for EVERYONE! You could concentrate more on bringing out the potentional in your students, instead of feeling like you're expending too much energy on a whole bunch of students. It's very possible that some of your kids might be higher functioning then previously thought.Wouldn't it be cool if you could bring that out in them?

passion for teaching

I know exactly how you feel. It never ends! This is my 25th year of teaching and have seen the major changes over the years. Good and bad. I do feel for you yes. The parent dept. is the pitts. Very, very few parents understand the hardships teachers face daily. And these parents are my lifesavers! Yes, the paper work is overwhelming! Just hang on there and do the best you can. Spring and Summer is just around the corner. I look forward to the breaks and sure appreciate the help I get at home. I have learned the hard way with delegating jobs. Gosh, terps sure do try taking advantage!!! They are not paid just sitting around. So, I add on to my lesson plans their responsibilities when not interpreting. I have taught pre-school/kindergarten 6 years, and then 19 years upper ele. mixed bag communication styles, hearing losses, and additional handicapping conditions. However, I do enjoy the kids and get a lot of laughs. Humor is the best medicine. -:wiggle:Harleychick
My passion for teaching is...well, dying. Here I am, supposed to be teaching deaf and hard of hearing children. I have to teach in a total communication environment (I'll withhold my opinion on using that communication mode for now) - I have kids who use ASL, kids who uses Signed English, kids who have no or limited language base (most of them have parents who speak Spanish as their native languages), and kids who uses gestures and pointing (one kid uses a communication board). There are times I gotta talk to them...at the same time but in oh, so many ways.

If that doesn't make my job hard...

I also have to individualized their learning by following their IEP objectives...so I'm literally having to teach 12 kids at the same time, but with different objectives in mind. But at the same time I'm supposed to do these lesson plans that correlates with the regular education state standards (IEP objectives correlates with them as well)...

I'm up to my neck in paperwork for due process, report cards/progress reports, weekly newsletters, observation reports, assessment data, and paperwork for those stupid committees we have to do at school...and the worst...stupid, stupid bullentin boards that have to be changed every month.

On top of all of this...I have parents who are calls over every little detail (I never do anything "right") and other parents who don't give a crap about their child's education. Some of the parents really and truly believe that I'm soley responsible for educating their child...which is untrue. I'm a small part of their child's education...THEY are the key to their child's success, not me.

I actually dropped out of med' school to be a teacher. WHY???!!

My son's drivers weren't terps...unfortunatley...but they were required to know some basic signs for safety and such. The cool thing was that the kids being bused to the Christian school learned a lot of sign from the deaf students, and the buis drivers finished out the school year knowing a lot more sign than they did when they started.
Your son is very lucky.

The interpreters had equal power as faculty members. They could discipline students on the bus as if they were teachers. Before you ask about their interpreter positions, the same thing applies... if a student misbehaves in class... then the interpreter will discipline that student as if she was a teacher. Yep, it sucked... big time!

There was only one bus driver and interpreter who was professional... and didn't act like a teacher (even if she had the power to do so). She was one of the few I liked.

Your son is very lucky.

The interpreters had equal power as faculty members. They could discipline students on the bus as if they were teachers. Before you ask about their interpreter positions, the same thing applies... if a student misbehaves in class... then the interpreter will discipline that student as if she was a teacher. Yep, it sucked... big time!

There was only one bus driver and interpreter who was professional... and didn't act like a teacher (even if she had the power to do so). She was one of the few I liked.

I agree. He was very lucky that we were able to find such a good placement for him.

I know exactly the kind of terps you are talking about. They are found a lot in the mainstream, and my son had one for a while until we succeeded in having him placed at the deaf school. She stepped way outside her duties as an interpreter, and tried to act more like a teacher's aid. Inf act, one time when she stopped interpreting to tell my son to "Pay attention!" he responded by telling her, "You're not my mommy!" When she complained to me, I simply told her he was right. Her job was to interpret, not discipline. If he needed to be disciplined, it was the teacher's job to do so, and simply her job to interpret what the teacher was communicating to him in the process. That sort of constant intrusiveness is frustrating for the deaf child, and actually impedes the educational process rather than helps it.

I agree. He was very lucky that we were able to find such a good placement for him.

I know exactly the kind of terps you are talking about. They are found a lot in the mainstream, and my son had one for a while until we succeeded in having him placed at the deaf school. She stepped way outside her duties as an interpreter, and tried to act more like a teacher's aid. Inf act, one time when she stopped interpreting to tell my son to "Pay attention!" he responded by telling her, "You're not my mommy!" When she complained to me, I simply told her he was right. Her job was to interpret, not discipline. If he needed to be disciplined, it was the teacher's job to do so, and simply her job to interpret what the teacher was communicating to him in the process. That sort of constant intrusiveness is frustrating for the deaf child, and actually impedes the educational process rather than helps it.
I've received detention several times in the past simply because of an interpreter. I've been embarrassed by my interpreters, scolded by my interpreters, yelled at by my interpreters, and reported to my parents by my interpreters. :roll:

Jillo and VamPryoX, have you heard of the Inverted Pyramid Theory in the field of interpreting? You know, where in early ages and grades the role of interpreters is much broader...and as the child gets older, it becomes more narrow to the point that by the time the child reaches high school, the interpreter is strictly "just the interpreter."

I also get irritated when interpreters are active participates in IEP meetings...what does RID Code of Ethics say about this kind of thing. Does the child have privacy rights as well? For example, if the interpreter was interpreting between two children - and then reports that one them is planning to stick gum on a teacher's chair based on the conversation. Don't the children have the right to plot evil things just like any other children would do? (Of course, the extreme exception would be if it was MY chair they were talking about!!!...just kidding). Am I making sense?

I wasn't finished but I hit reply - oops.

Anyways, what I meant by the Inverted Pyramid Theory thing - I was wondering if you had heard of it in your areas? We talked about that in my interpreting classes...it's very interesting...

I wasn't finished but I hit reply - oops.

Anyways, what I meant by the Inverted Pyramid Theory thing - I was wondering if you had heard of it in your areas? We talked about that in my interpreting classes...it's very interesting...

Yes, I have heard of it, and I can see where it would be useful for some students. My son, however, was familiar with how to use an interpreter and what a terp's role was. Plus, he has always been very independent, and resented an interpreter stepping outside of her role. His attitude was, "If I need help, I'll ask for it." Perhaps a bit cocky, but that sense of independence has served him well over the years, LOL.

Jillo and VamPryoX, have you heard of the Inverted Pyramid Theory in the field of interpreting? You know, where in early ages and grades the role of interpreters is much broader...and as the child gets older, it becomes more narrow to the point that by the time the child reaches high school, the interpreter is strictly "just the interpreter."

I also get irritated when interpreters are active participates in IEP meetings...what does RID Code of Ethics say about this kind of thing. Does the child have privacy rights as well? For example, if the interpreter was interpreting between two children - and then reports that one them is planning to stick gum on a teacher's chair based on the conversation. Don't the children have the right to plot evil things just like any other children would do? (Of course, the extreme exception would be if it was MY chair they were talking about!!!...just kidding). Am I making sense?

Yes, you are making complete sense! I agree....I don't think a terp belongs in an IEP unless the parent is deaf and requires interpreting services, or unless the child themselves is participating in the meeting and requires interpreting services. But the role should be as a terp only.

Update: They've given me two more kids. I still only have 1 aide, so that makes a total of 11 kids. My aide is threatening to quit (don't blame her at all). More than half of the students are not potty-trained, are not from families who can communicate with them at home, and have additional disabilites. This job is freaking INSANE. I've asked and asked for more help. I've even resorted to begging. They said they will provide an aide if I have 12 deaf/hh kids (right now only 9 are deaf/hh). Which means I have to wait for the big "14" before I get another aide. 14!!!! All of the kids are under age 5. The newest student is out of control. She's already demolished my entire classroom, broken toys/puzzles, does tantrums, bites herself, pees on the floor on purpose, etc. I've only had her for 4 days. Pulling out the behavior modification tricks and tools all over again is getting old - fast. By the time I go to bed (this is after I get home and have to take care of my own kids), I'm so exhausted that I've actually slept with my entire work clothes on - shoes and all more than once.

I will not return to this school for the fall term. I'm beyond pissed off at this school system. All they care about is money and numbers - not providing support for the teachers and providing a well-rounded education for each child. I am now looking at other schools and have started to inquire job openings and apply for teaching positions.
(Thanks for letting me vent).

Update: They've given me two more kids. I still only have 1 aide, so that makes a total of 11 kids. My aide is threatening to quit (don't blame her at all). More than half of the students are not potty-trained, are not from families who can communicate with them at home, and have additional disabilites. This job is freaking INSANE. I've asked and asked for more help. I've even resorted to begging. They said they will provide an aide if I have 12 deaf/hh kids (right now only 9 are deaf/hh). Which means I have to wait for the big "14" before I get another aide. 14!!!! All of the kids are under age 5. The newest student is out of control. She's already demolished my entire classroom, broken toys/puzzles, does tantrums, bites herself, pees on the floor on purpose, etc. I've only had her for 4 days. Pulling out the behavior modification tricks and tools all over again is getting old - fast. By the time I go to bed (this is after I get home and have to take care of my own kids), I'm so exhausted that I've actually slept with my entire work clothes on - shoes and all more than once.

I will not return to this school for the fall term. I'm beyond pissed off at this school system. All they care about is money and numbers - not providing support for the teachers and providing a well-rounded education for each child. I am now looking at other schools and have started to inquire job openings and apply for teaching positions.

I agree with you and dont blame u. That is why I refuse to work in mainstreamed programs. My experiences there as a professional has been nothing but unpleasant. I prefer working at the deaf school where all kids' needs are met and understood.

Whoa... it's that bad!? Wow, they really need to give you more help.

You're right. In this kind of situation, they should be looking at quality, not quantity.

Gee...

You are in an imp[ossible situation. I certainly don't blame you for looking at other options at this point. They bring these children into the mainstream, and then, for financial reasons, refuse to provide the services that are needed. Its insane!

You are in an imp[ossible situation. I certainly don't blame you for looking at other options at this point. They bring these children into the mainstream, and then, for financial reasons, refuse to provide the services that are needed. Its insane!

And many wonder why these children fall so far behind and get referred to the Deaf schools later to do remedial work. Blame the deaf schools? I think not!!!

Back