Teaching? I wanna QUIT!

Some of them had to be restrained to keep from raping me in my own classroom, simply because they couldn't resist the anger of women who probably were the main sources of abuse and neglect in their lives.
OMG, that's extreme! WOW.....talk about extreme sociopaths!

Sorry to hear you're still in that crappy job.

Do you reckon if they broadcast "The Ron Clark Story" in teaching training course, many will be spooked and walk out?

I think we need a deaf version of "The Ron Clark Story".

You and Shel could star in it. ;)

LOL! My job does NOT sound nowhere near as tough as deafbajagal's. I am blessed for the great support system I get at my job. I cant complain..only thing I complain about is my role as the chairperson for the committee. It is just not my thing but I am required.

LOL! They should do a real life show of our classrooms. Just maybe we will get the same respect as teachers in many other countries. In some countries the role of a teacher is held in the highest regard. I went with a few friends to Japan, where I had the opportunity to teach ASL in a Japanese-based school that was learning about English and American culture. They treated us teachers like we were royalty!

I really think teachers do not get much respect nowadays especially from our government. Less people are applying for teaching programs and there will be a crisis of teacher shortage and maybe that will wake this country up!

The reason for the restriction is at the 'behavior school' some students were so violent that they couldn't handle going out in public without actually attacking a person or animal. Also, some kids were at high flight risks. There are various levels (we used a color system) that the students are placed at. For example, if they are at level green, they had the least restrictions - they can go out in public, etc. If they have level red, then that's the highest restriction. Most of my kids were red and orange. Some of them had to be restrained to keep from raping me in my own classroom, simply because they couldn't resist the anger of women who probably were the main sources of abuse and neglect in their lives.

So, going to a dairy farm for some of them was too much stimulation. It is hard to control the enviroment (for instance, the farmer might have a pitchfork laying around). However, I knew that they needed the same quality instruction as other kids with special needs. So I had to be creative...and filled out like over 30 pages of paperwork and do some serious convincing on my part...and was able to bring the farm to them. ;)

How very creative and dedicated on your part. Those students were very fortunate to have such a caring educator tending totheir needs.

Just a thought...were these kids getting mental health services? Sounds as if they had issues that went well beyond what behavior mod techniques would address.:dunno2:

I really think teachers do not get much respect nowadays especially from our government. Less people are applying for teaching programs and there will be a crisis of teacher shortage and maybe that will wake this country up!

I agree with you 100%. Teachers used to be highly respected in the U.S., but as values have changed, the amount of respect given to educators has changed. I find that very sad, indeed, as educators do one of the most important and valuable jobs there is. Yet someone who has been born with the talent to throw a ball gets more respect (and pay!!!) than a teacher who has gone into debt in order achieve a degree that allows her/him to have a profound impact on our children. It is sad.

I agree with you 100%. Teachers used to be highly respected in the U.S., but as values have changed, the amount of respect given to educators has changed. I find that very sad, indeed, as educators do one of the most important and valuable jobs there is. Yet someone who has been born with the talent to throw a ball gets more respect (and pay!!!) than a teacher who has gone into debt in order achieve a degree that allows her/him to have a profound impact on our children. It is sad.

Pop culture at its worst!

The reason for the restriction is at the 'behavior school' some students were so violent that they couldn't handle going out in public without actually attacking a person or animal. Also, some kids were at high flight risks. There are various levels (we used a color system) that the students are placed at. For example, if they are at level green, they had the least restrictions - they can go out in public, etc. If they have level red, then that's the highest restriction. Most of my kids were red and orange. Some of them had to be restrained to keep from raping me in my own classroom, simply because they couldn't resist the anger of women who probably were the main sources of abuse and neglect in their lives.

So, going to a dairy farm for some of them was too much stimulation. It is hard to control the enviroment (for instance, the farmer might have a pitchfork laying around). However, I knew that they needed the same quality instruction as other kids with special needs. So I had to be creative...and filled out like over 30 pages of paperwork and do some serious convincing on my part...and was able to bring the farm to them. ;)
Seriously? Wow... that's bad. With kids like that, you definitely need 2 or 3 people running the classroom or need the group to be split into smaller groups run by one teacher each.

Crikey! They sound like they're prime candidates for prison in the near future.

Why on the earth are they not at school where they specialize in educating disturbed kids?

I know we have few such schools in Aussieland.

For your sake and your girls's sakes, I hope you'll be able to find a safer teaching position soon. Maybe next fall, hopefully.

Take care and be strong.

Yeah.........one of my college friends is teachering at a school for emotionally disturbed kids.......even her kids don't sound as bad as yours! God.....I was reading about a school specificly for sexual offenders (the Stetson School) and they didn't seem as bad as your kids. Were your kids in some slum in NYC or from East St. Louis or what? WOW.....can't believe how bad those students were....but at least you managed to really make an impact and better their lives somewhat.

Crikey! They sound like they're prime candidates for prison in the near future.

Why on the earth are they not at school where they specialize in educating disturbed kids?

I know we have few such schools in Aussieland.

For your sake and your girls's sakes, I hope you'll be able to find a safer teaching position soon. Maybe next fall, hopefully.

Take care and be strong.

Agreed. Students like this need to be in specialized facilities where care for their emotional and mental distubances is available 24/7. Not only to protect others, but to protect them, as well.

I think there's some confusion here. Please let me clarify. My first job was at a specialized mental health facility - that's the "behavior school" where they had 24 hour care by psych's and top-notch mental health treatment. It is designed specifically for kids with extreme behavior and emotional problems. I no longer teach there - I taught there for my first two years as a teacher. Loved it. The current job I am now is in a public school environment, with deaf and hard of hearing preschoolers. With the exception of two students, they don't have major behavior problems (unless you count the normal behaviors of preschool-age kids, lol). The reason I brought up the first job was to show the comparison - and how the first job should have been more difficult than my present job - but it isn't. The first job I had support...this job I don't. The first job the kids were VERY dangerous. It goes to show that it doesn't matter where you teach or work at...as long as there is a high support system, then a teacher CAN succeed. I succeeded at my first job and actually won several recognitions from the state (which I did not want or need it...the only awards I wanted was from the students - their successes were my rewards, period.) This current job should be easier...but because of the lack of support, I am not able to do my job as well as I can and should.

I think there's some confusion here. Please let me clarify. My first job was at a specialized mental health facility - that's the "behavior school" where they had 24 hour care by psych's and top-notch mental health treatment. It is designed specifically for kids with extreme behavior and emotional problems. I no longer teach there - I taught there for my first two years as a teacher. Loved it. The current job I am now is in a public school environment, with deaf and hard of hearing preschoolers. With the exception of two students, they don't have major behavior problems (unless you count the normal behaviors of preschool-age kids, lol). The reason I brought up the first job was to show the comparison - and how the first job should have been more difficult than my present job - but it isn't. The first job I had support...this job I don't. The first job the kids were VERY dangerous. It goes to show that it doesn't matter where you teach or work at...as long as there is a high support system, then a teacher CAN succeed. I succeeded at my first job and actually won several recognitions from the state (which I did not want or need it...the only awards I wanted was from the students - their successes were my rewards, period.) This current job should be easier...but because of the lack of support, I am not able to do my job as well as I can and should.

I agree with u. Without the support, the teachers cant meet all the diverse needs and who loses out? The kids. However, who gets the blame? Yours truly. Sick system isnt it?

That's why I hope my school doesnt close cuz there is no way in hell I am gonna work in a mainstreamed program. I was forever turned off by them with my past bad experiences.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was asking questions because I wasn't sure.

Ahh, I get it.

High level of support from previous job vs low level of support in current one.

They should be offering you more support because your students needs more and so do you.

Could you contact the Education Union and see if they could help you?

Hey DeafBajaGirl,
if Boult is right and you're in Nebraska, I just found out that Nebraska dhh kids can attend Iowa School for the Deaf!

I'm not in Nebraska, but that's good to know that Nebraska kids still have an option to go to Iowa. Cool! :D. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Use a functional sense they all have in common, they all can see, right? Make the majority of your teaching visual, compliment their needs with one on one communication. Aside from this suggestion, it will definitely take more than one teacher to sufficiently teach special needs students.

Well I just thought that you should know, so that you could give the parents of your kids info on other edcuational placements. Are you in Nevada or Wyoming?

Back