Teaching? I wanna QUIT!

Having been a parent with a deaf child in preschool, I can say that it has been my experience that not enough parents volunteer and are involved. I don't mean to sound judgemental, but it was my experience that many parents brought their children to the preschool hoping the preschool would do what they were not willing to do at home. That is not to say that all parents are like that, but many are.

Try taking a preschool class of deaf kids to the zoo without some parent volunteers! No way the preschool teacher can handle that number of kids in that situation. Parents need to be involved. They also get the advantage of the teacher modeling language appropriate activiities so that they can continue those at home to help their child. I am a big suppoter of parent/infant early intervention, rather than intervention that focuses on the child only.

I agree.

They've put the responsibilities into teachers, houseparents, school, TV, video games, etc. rather than themselves. And when thing goes wrong they blame everything else but themselves.

If they wanted children then they got to take care of everything that's come with it, not using others as an excuse. Parents should have been the frontline for education, entertainment, role model, etc.

If they don't have time for children then why are they having children in the first place? In the end, it's children who suffers.

I understand that parents may be stuck with jobs or are human being, but geez...there's limits when it comes to the children. Money isn't always everything. It's time that matters the most.

In some deaf school or else that provided a place for children, houseparents are nothing more than a babysitter. Out of many, I have only met one who truly acted as a parent as they should have in the first place. *sigh* Because of that, I have nothing but respect and a fond memory of that houseparent even though I liked others. But still it's only one out of all that I had. That's pathetic.

Of course, above message is not to be generalized to all.

Well sometimes if they serve more as "foster parents" rather then as "nautral parents"........I think that maybe a good idea might be to replicate healthy family models, ala the way they do at Boys Town and other "troubled kids" insistutions.
OMG YES!!!!! What a lot of AG Bad types don't understand is that, NOT EVERYONE has the advantages of coming from middle class and involved families.
Plus, I mean.......I kind of think that some people are overrating the importance of family. Yes, a family is a good thing...........but on the other hand experiances like going off to school or overnight camp can be just as valuable. I never got to experiance living at a deaf school..........but my experiances at summer camp and at college were HUGE and enormously charector building. I made so many wonderful friends...........
Heck, I wish I'd known about Deaf Schools, even thou I had the advantage of a middle class school system and a wonderful stable family.... high school and mainstream education in general SUCKED.....even my parents said that if they could do it over again................

Also, another point to remember is that many families - even great ones with good family structures- do not have a way to communicate with the deaf children. So in a sense, even the family system fail the children. Sad, isn't it?

I agree.

They've put the responsibilities into teachers, houseparents, school, TV, video games, etc. rather than themselves. And when thing goes wrong they blame everything else but themselves.

If they wanted children then they got to take care of everything that's come with it, not using others as an excuse. Parents should have been the frontline for education, entertainment, role model, etc.

If they don't have time for children then why are they having children in the first place? In the end, it's children who suffers.

I understand that parents may be stuck with jobs or are human being, but geez...there's limits when it comes to the children. Money isn't always everything. It's time that matters the most.

In some deaf school or else that provided a place for children, houseparents are nothing more than a babysitter. Out of many, I have only met one who truly acted as a parent as they should have in the first place. *sigh* Because of that, I have nothing but respect and a fond memory of that houseparent even though I liked others. But still it's only one out of all that I had. That's pathetic.

Of course, above message is not to be generalized to all.

I appreciate your point that you did not intend to generalize this statement to all parents, because there are some great parents out there. Many of the AD forum members are evident of that fact. :) I agree with you. Houseparents are often placed with the unfair expectations to take over the parental responsibilities of parents...which is sad. There was one houseparent that I found to like best as well. She was very caring and motherly to the children. I will never forget her.

Thanks!

We'll see how it goes with the preschool. In this district, parents can eat with children, help in the classrooms and chaperone events. The preschool is less than 3 miles away. So you bet I will be pretty much involved.

They have a strict pick up policy I like. They want parents to show up for anything if called within an hour. That shows they care. There are other policies but you get the drift...

Good night people

I'm THRILLED to know that you plan to be involved with your child's school. I wish there were more parents like you. :) I wish you and your child the best of luck.

I am planning to be a teacher and to be more specific, math/Asl teacher..:type:

Back