Teaching? I wanna QUIT!

Well I just thought that you should know, so that you could give the parents of your kids info on other edcuational placements. Are you in Nevada or Wyoming?

Check your PM ;)

I turned in my resignation letter a few weeks ago. I will be moving out of state and teaching in a new school! :D

If things do not get better at this school, I am going to be happily flipping burgers.

Let us hope you get much better support at your new school. It's sad you got better support for your disturbed students than for your deaf students. GL with your new school. :fingersx:

Now I know you teach preschoolers---What are your expectations from the their parents? What do you like and do not like about the parents?

Last night, I read the new Handbook from the preschool. I'm curious about the personal aspects from the teachers.......

I told the school to let me know anytime they need help, field trips and so on. The impression I got was that not enough parents DO THIS. They were a little TOO happy....I'm down with that.

I turned in my resignation letter a few weeks ago. I will be moving out of state and teaching in a new school! :D

If things do not get better at this school, I am going to be happily flipping burgers.

Congratualtions! I hope this move will be much improved. Good for you! I look forward to hearing about your new school. There will always be adminsitrative issues that hold the classroom teachers back in what they can accomplish, but there are those adminsitrators out there that actually support the faculty. I've got my fingers crossed that this is what you are moving to.

Now I know you teach preschoolers---What are your expectations from the their parents? What do you like and do not like about the parents?

Last night, I read the new Handbook from the preschool. I'm curious about the personal aspects from the teachers.......

I told the school to let me know anytime they need help, field trips and so on. The impression I got was that not enough parents DO THIS. They were a little TOO happy....I'm down with that.

Having been a parent with a deaf child in preschool, I can say that it has been my experience that not enough parents volunteer and are involved. I don't mean to sound judgemental, but it was my experience that many parents brought their children to the preschool hoping the preschool would do what they were not willing to do at home. That is not to say that all parents are like that, but many are.

Try taking a preschool class of deaf kids to the zoo without some parent volunteers! No way the preschool teacher can handle that number of kids in that situation. Parents need to be involved. They also get the advantage of the teacher modeling language appropriate activiities so that they can continue those at home to help their child. I am a big suppoter of parent/infant early intervention, rather than intervention that focuses on the child only.

Congrats..every school always has some issues with some things especially on the political level. Hope you get more support at this school. Keep in touch with me about your experiences there. :hug:

Don't you dare go "flipping burgers"... not with your advanced education. There's a community college not far from where I live that would gladly take you on faculty.

Don't you dare go "flipping burgers"... not with your advanced education. There's a community college not far from where I live that would gladly take you on faculty.

That's my plan B if the field of teaching gets worse in the upcoming years.

and I hope your next move in California is going to be a success, just be prepared teenager is another ballgame, but i think parents would be less insisitent as they have the kid 'already grown up from the 'said-pliable' wee thugs, so somewhat they 'know' they blame the teenager's hormones and less on the teachers (hope im right)

Congratualtions! I hope this move will be much improved. Good for you! I look forward to hearing about your new school. There will always be adminsitrative issues that hold the classroom teachers back in what they can accomplish, but there are those adminsitrators out there that actually support the faculty. I've got my fingers crossed that this is what you are moving to.

Thanks! :D

and I hope your next move in California is going to be a success, just be prepared teenager is another ballgame, but i think parents would be less insisitent as they have the kid 'already grown up from the 'said-pliable' wee thugs, so somewhat they 'know' they blame the teenager's hormones and less on the teachers (hope im right)

:D Thanks. Yeah, that's a good plan. Blame the hormones! :laugh2:

Success of an Early Childhood Intervention program depends heavily on parental involvement. I only have the students for four hours a day, five days a week. It's the parents who have the influence to assure that their children have access to language and all of the tools they need to learn. All I ask of the parents is their support. If we are learning about gardens, then the parents should be involved. When the child goes home, the parents should take them outside and talk about the plants at home. Or even buy a small package of flower seeds and let them plant the flowers in a pot. They can take the child to the local library to select books on growing things in a garden.

Some parents are not able to volunteer their time because of work obligations, which I can understand. But there are other ways that working parents can help. For example, let the teacher send home a package of things that are laminated but needs to be cut out from the lamination sheet. The parents can cut those out and then return the pieces to school. Parents can purchase small items such as baby wipes, cotton balls, bandages, paper towels, sanitary napkins, etc. for the class. But ALL of the parents should set time aside each night to work with their child on language skills, pre-academic skills, social skills, and communication skills.

I'm thrilled to hear you plan to be involved with the class. I'm sure the teacher will appreciate it. And more importanly, you can be a great and necessary asset to your child's learning. :)

I only have the students for four hours a day, five days a week. It's the parents who have the influence to assure that their children have access to language and all of the tools they need to learn
Do you think some of the kids with noninvolved parents would benifit from being sent to a residental school? The way I'm thinking, is that the houseparent at the res school, could serve as a foster/surrogatte parent, who might be more involved then the real parent.

Yes, I do. Unfortunately, the houseparents can never really replace the true role of parents. I think parents who are uninvolved with their child's communication needs should be reported to CPS for neglect. Unfortunately the law in many states will not recognize the parent's lack of communication skills with their child as a form of neglect.

The dormitory at the residental schools have served as safe havens for many children. I've seen it as a student and as a teacher. It is heartbreaking...but at the same time, it is an opportunity for the schools to take advantage of the dorm life in this sense. That's why it is so crucial that the dorms are well-designed to meet the needs of the children.

Thanks!

We'll see how it goes with the preschool. In this district, parents can eat with children, help in the classrooms and chaperone events. The preschool is less than 3 miles away. So you bet I will be pretty much involved.

They have a strict pick up policy I like. They want parents to show up for anything if called within an hour. That shows they care. There are other policies but you get the drift...

Good night people

Congratulations! on your new position and a move! Everything will turn out fine for you, I'm sure!

Unfortunately, the houseparents can never really replace the true role of parents
Well sometimes if they serve more as "foster parents" rather then as "nautral parents"........I think that maybe a good idea might be to replicate healthy family models, ala the way they do at Boys Town and other "troubled kids" insistutions.
The dormitory at the residental schools have served as safe havens for many children. I've seen it as a student and as a teacher. It is heartbreaking...but at the same time, it is an opportunity for the schools to take advantage of the dorm life in this sense.
OMG YES!!!!! What a lot of AG Bad types don't understand is that, NOT EVERYONE has the advantages of coming from middle class and involved families.
Plus, I mean.......I kind of think that some people are overrating the importance of family. Yes, a family is a good thing...........but on the other hand experiances like going off to school or overnight camp can be just as valuable. I never got to experiance living at a deaf school..........but my experiances at summer camp and at college were HUGE and enormously charector building. I made so many wonderful friends...........
Heck, I wish I'd known about Deaf Schools, even thou I had the advantage of a middle class school system and a wonderful stable family.... high school and mainstream education in general SUCKED.....even my parents said that if they could do it over again................

Back