Teaching? I wanna QUIT!

My passion for teaching is...well, dying. /QUOTE]

I understand, Deafbajagal. Unsupportive parents and piles of unproductive paperwork (along with unreasonable discipline expectations) are what drove me from teaching at the high school level into college teaching.

Once upon a time, teachers held a position of power and respect in a community. We all know that created some abuses of power, but now the pendulum has swung the other way, and teachers are fair game for any dimwit unhappy about any element of education.

In college, when parents came to see me, I informed them it was against privacy regulations I work under to discuss anything to do with their adult child's grades or classroom activity. Period. When they insisted, I offered to call campus security.

I realize lesson plans help organize new teachers. If an experienced teacher is not conducting professional classes, then I believe a principal has the right to expect lesson plans until the teacher gets back on track -- but to expect them from all teachers all the time is a huge waste of time. I taught 5 classes of at least 25 students every day. To me, that's 125 individual students with individual needs and would require 125 separate lessons plans. Experienced professionals don't need lesson plans to teach subjects they have degrees to teach.

In college, I wrote a syllabus per class for the semester. As I became a better instructor, it became more detailed, but that's all that should be necessary--a guide, not a daily hour-by-hour time frame required by the principal at out high school who never taught a class in her life.

Ha ha ha ha, thanks for letting me vent.

I agree...lesson plans - what a waste. Especially when there are so many "teachable moments" that come along and I will find myself trailing off the plans and teaching whatever they needed at that moment. If I see a kid start to try to use a vocabulary word but is struggling...I will jump in there and engage in the conversation about that word...pull up whatever I can find, act it out, etc. Yesterday the box we painted yellow to make a lemonade stand ...became a bus. The kid was trying to tell me how the driver was buckling herself up but he was struggling with telling me...so I turned the box over and pretended to be the driver. He showed me...laughing. Then we went from there and started talking about bus safety ...my plan for that hour was put on hold. We can talk about lemonade some other time :). But the lesson plans are required because of the No Child Left Behind crap.

I agree...lesson plans - what a waste. Especially when there are so many "teachable moments" that come along and I will find myself trailing off the plans and teaching whatever they needed at that moment. If I see a kid start to try to use a vocabulary word but is struggling...I will jump in there and engage in the conversation about that word...pull up whatever I can find, act it out, etc. Yesterday the box we painted yellow to make a lemonade stand ...became a bus. The kid was trying to tell me how the driver was buckling herself up but he was struggling with telling me...so I turned the box over and pretended to be the driver. He showed me...laughing. Then we went from there and started talking about bus safety ...my plan for that hour was put on hold. We can talk about lemonade some other time :). But the lesson plans are required because of the No Child Left Behind crap.

No Child Left Behind :rl::rl::rl:

Those teachable moments are the most significant moments in education.

I have a WONDERFUL aide - couldn't live without her. But she's not qualified to teach...she can do some small groups with like craft activities and that kind of thing...but what I need is a smaller classroom with one consistent language AND communication mode...the TC environment is nuts. I feel like I'm compromising the languages (spoken English/signed English and ASL) because I can't completely do one or the other...it's jumping back and forth. I WISH, WISH, WISH I was in a Bi/Bi philosophy-based school...but I'm not...

A for the numbers, I have 10 (!!!!) preschoolers (!!!) most have additional disabilities. The reason I don't have another aide is because my principal (who has NO background in special education much less deaf education) said, "But...there's only 10 kids in there." She gave me a book on classroom management, which totally pissed me off. And was it for managing a classroom for preschool? No. For deaf children? No. For children in special education programs? No. (rolling eyes here)

I agree with you on that one which is why I didnt apply at the TC programs. I couldnt do both languages at once while teaching. It would drive me nuts and burn me out.

I am sorry to hear u went thru difficult time. My sister is a school teacher and she was forced to move from middle school to elementary (5/6 graders) last year .She was very upset when they put her in classroom with kids who does not speak English, many kids came here from Asia. Finally they found a teacher who can speak their language and transfer her to other classroom. It was awful for her. So your not only one who deal with this stress.

I agree with you. I have been very fortunate that most the parents of the students I have had in my 5 years have been very supportive. Yes, I do get a few here and there that dont show any interest in their children's education. I havent gotten blamed for anything yet but whoever blames the Deaf schools for children's literacy problems is a direct blame to me since I work at a Deaf school. It is frustrating...

\.
Yep, some of us are very fortunate.

I have some deaf friends who had a difficult time getting through school because there was nothing that their parents could do.

For instance, a couple were from Spanish-speaking families. Since Spanish is a primary spoken language and ASL is a secondary language, they could never get the concept of proper English right. One barely got by because he was oral and had a hearing brother who learned to speak good English.

Another few came from families that were not very educated. So, there was no one to help them with their math, reading, writing, and science homework.

I happened to be extremely lucky because my mom is an English whiz and my dad is a Math whiz. Some of my friends have parents who were well-educated as well. So, they got their education at school and at home. That's how it should be for everyone.

Stressful, yes. Thank god for Lexapro and Zoloft :). And chocolate...lots of it. Yep, same school district - it's a large school district...and the zoning is according to the deaf/hh programs that are scattered...and the children go to which one is closest to their homes (L.R.E. factor).
I was on Ritalin when I was in elementary school. I don't remember when I started and ended. I think it was from the 3rd grade to the 5th grade, dunno.

As for where kids go, it was originally at least 10 cities attending one district. Pretty bad, eh? However, the community wasn't too big and students managed to get through fine. It did become a problem years later and they finally decided to split into two districts.

For instance, all kids from 10 surrounding cities attending the same elementary school... junior high... and high school. There was usually an average of 3 to 5 deaf kids per grade level. There was also usually 1 or 2 from each deaf group that could be involved in mainstream class.

A few years ago, they realized that there were more deaf students and felt the need to split. Now, the first district is one city below and supports deaf kids from surrounding cities towards the south. The second district is one city above and supports deaf kids from surrounding cities towards the north. The old district continues, but only if kids and/or parents choose to stay at those schools. If they decide to leave, they will be sent to their assigned districts. No going in, only out. Once all deaf kids are gone, there will be no more deaf programs in this district... just the two new north/south districts.

In a way, I think it's great. I've heard that a lot of those alumnus have returned and are now teaching at those districts. So, there are more teachers available for those deaf students. :)

My passion for teaching is...well, dying. Here I am, supposed to be teaching deaf and hard of hearing children. I have to teach in a total communication environment (I'll withhold my opinion on using that communication mode for now) - I have kids who use ASL, kids who uses Signed English, kids who have no or limited language base (most of them have parents who speak Spanish as their native languages), and kids who uses gestures and pointing (one kid uses a communication board). There are times I gotta talk to them...at the same time but in oh, so many ways.

If that doesn't make my job hard...

I also have to individualized their learning by following their IEP objectives...so I'm literally having to teach 12 kids at the same time, but with different objectives in mind. But at the same time I'm supposed to do these lesson plans that correlates with the regular education state standards (IEP objectives correlates with them as well)...

I'm up to my neck in paperwork for due process, report cards/progress reports, weekly newsletters, observation reports, assessment data, and paperwork for those stupid committees we have to do at school...and the worst...stupid, stupid bullentin boards that have to be changed every month.

On top of all of this...I have parents who are calls over every little detail (I never do anything "right") and other parents who don't give a crap about their child's education. Some of the parents really and truly believe that I'm soley responsible for educating their child...which is untrue. I'm a small part of their child's education...THEY are the key to their child's success, not me.

I actually dropped out of med' school to be a teacher. WHY???!!

I am late getting to this posting, guess what lesson plans. I understand how you feel. I teach special educations/regular education for the last 14 years. Every year I think it get easier, they add something else. I still love teaching just wish I could do my job. It just seems like too many chiefs not enough indians (too many people with ideas on how to raise test scores not enough people to do anything)

My problem is we are full inclusion, all children of all disabilities are mainstreamed into the regular education classroom. It is very stressfull for the children and teachers. Me - I am trying to teach a 5th grader how to read and he reads on 1st grade level. One of my students is 13 in 5th grade and he can't stop touching others and himself. I can go on and on but all of you get the point.

I don't know if I have any advice for you, since I am looking at my stacks of work - observations, lesson plans, powerpoints, and behavior contracts. I did ask for no committees or leadership team. I gave up everything that takes me out teaching. Didn't work - I am stuck with in-service representative, planning Reading fair, and I am incharge of all the inventory in the building. So that is my stressfree year out the window. Just realize that there is some else who is feeling the same as you are - frustrated. If you find the "solution" please pass it on.

I am late getting to this posting, guess what lesson plans. I understand how you feel. I teach special educations/regular education for the last 14 years. Every year I think it get easier, they add something else. I still love teaching just wish I could do my job. It just seems like too many chiefs not enough indians (too many people with ideas on how to raise test scores not enough people to do anything)

My problem is we are full inclusion, all children of all disabilities are mainstreamed into the regular education classroom. It is very stressfull for the children and teachers. Me - I am trying to teach a 5th grader how to read and he reads on 1st grade level. One of my students is 13 in 5th grade and he can't stop touching others and himself. I can go on and on but all of you get the point.

I don't know if I have any advice for you, since I am looking at my stacks of work - observations, lesson plans, powerpoints, and behavior contracts. I did ask for no committees or leadership team. I gave up everything that takes me out teaching. Didn't work - I am stuck with in-service representative, planning Reading fair, and I am incharge of all the inventory in the building. So that is my stressfree year out the window. Just realize that there is some else who is feeling the same as you are - frustrated. If you find the "solution" please pass it on.

Sounds stressful!!!

Sorry you're going through this too...I guess I only can say do what I do...I keep a notebook. On the front it says 101 Reasons I Teach...and every day I will write down at least one thing that happened that day that makes me smile or enjoy being a teacher. There may be a day that I cannot write anything down...and days where I can't stop writing. But when I'm having a bad day...I read my notebook...and manage to go on ;).

I was on Ritalin when I was in elementary school. I don't remember when I started and ended. I think it was from the 3rd grade to the 5th grade, dunno.

As for where kids go, it was originally at least 10 cities attending one district. Pretty bad, eh? However, the community wasn't too big and students managed to get through fine. It did become a problem years later and they finally decided to split into two districts.

For instance, all kids from 10 surrounding cities attending the same elementary school... junior high... and high school. There was usually an average of 3 to 5 deaf kids per grade level. There was also usually 1 or 2 from each deaf group that could be involved in mainstream class.

A few years ago, they realized that there were more deaf students and felt the need to split. Now, the first district is one city below and supports deaf kids from surrounding cities towards the south. The second district is one city above and supports deaf kids from surrounding cities towards the north. The old district continues, but only if kids and/or parents choose to stay at those schools. If they decide to leave, they will be sent to their assigned districts. No going in, only out. Once all deaf kids are gone, there will be no more deaf programs in this district... just the two new north/south districts.

In a way, I think it's great. I've heard that a lot of those alumnus have returned and are now teaching at those districts. So, there are more teachers available for those deaf students. :)

Wow, it sounds like whoever was in charge knew what s/he was doing :). There is no reason for kids to be riding buses for more than an hour just to get to school...some do though. Closer to home is better, in most cases. As long as the educational programming meets their needs...

Wow, it sounds like whoever was in charge knew what s/he was doing :). There is no reason for kids to be riding buses for more than an hour just to get to school...some do though. Closer to home is better, in most cases. As long as the educational programming meets their needs...
While those long bus rides may sound bad, it wasn't really so bad after all. I got to meet a lot of other deaf people along the way. I made more friends that way. :)

That's really cool that you got to do that :). Good point. Some of my favorite times as a student at the deaf school was chatting with my bus friends, too...some of them lived over 4 hours away (yikes).

I keep pictures and letters from former students, that reminds me of why I teach. It helps.

About dangerous, I had a student that was MR attack me in the hallway two years ago. He turned violent on a group of students and I put myself in the way of the students. I figured it would be better if he attacked me instead of other students. Teaching can be very dangerous, but rewarding.

for the numbers, I have 10 (!!!!) preschoolers (!!!) most have additional disabilities. The reason I don't have another aide is because my principal (who has NO background in special education much less deaf education) said, "But...there's only 10 kids in there." She gave me a book on classroom management, which totally pissed me off. And was it for managing a classroom for preschool? No. For deaf children? No. For children in special education programs? No. (rolling eyes here)
Let's see................Wow........ten preschoolers! But at least you're getting them early on! I am so surprised that since they have additional issues, your program doesn't have a ton of support.Or do they just have mild additional issues?
What state are you in? Maybe a good idea might be to contact your state's School for the Deaf, and see if they have any advice or help for you.
Your princepal sounds VERY out of it. I totally would contact the School for the Deaf and maybe some disabilty rights lawyers..............Also, try the American Society for Deaf Children, and Hands and Voices.

I keep pictures and letters from former students, that reminds me of why I teach. It helps.

About dangerous, I had a student that was MR attack me in the hallway two years ago. He turned violent on a group of students and I put myself in the way of the students. I figured it would be better if he attacked me instead of other students. Teaching can be very dangerous, but rewarding.

Hope you didn't get hurt :/.

Let's see................Wow........ten preschoolers! But at least you're getting them early on! I am so surprised that since they have additional issues, your program doesn't have a ton of support.Or do they just have mild additional issues?
What state are you in? Maybe a good idea might be to contact your state's School for the Deaf, and see if they have any advice or help for you.
Your princepal sounds VERY out of it. I totally would contact the School for the Deaf and maybe some disabilty rights lawyers..............Also, try the American Society for Deaf Children, and Hands and Voices.

I'm working on it ;). Got a few connections here and there...it's just a frustrating and pain-in-the-butt process. I'm not the kind of person to just sit around and gripe...I like to take action to try to resolve things. I usually do resolve them, too. :).

I'm working on it ;). Got a few connections here and there...it's just a frustrating and pain-in-the-butt process. I'm not the kind of person to just sit around and gripe...I like to take action to try to resolve things. I usually do resolve them, too. :).
What grade level are you teaching?

Back