ssi and marriage?

Amount is determined by several factors.

Actually, there is a maximum set for federal social security payments. For a couple, the maximum that can be received as of 2009 is $1,011.

All of that can be found in SSA Publication No. 05-10003, January 2009, ICN 451385.

according to your first post.

Is there a penalty for being married when you are getting ssi or do they give you more money? I've heard both, there is and isn't. Anyone know?

thought it would save the time by bringing a gal who plans to get married to see local SSA and see how much will the couples would have to get it if they plan to get married. all individuals have many different kind of resources what they own or have and give the estimate the ssi amount will be the answer.

thought it would save the time by bringing a gal who plans to get married to see local SSA and see how much will the couples would have to get it if they plan to get married. all individuals have many different kind of resources what they own or have and give the estimate the ssi amount will be the answer.

I did not say I was getting married though. Only the future will tell.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Exactly. Amount is determined on a case by case basis.

Now, can we get back on topic and discuss the marriage penalty? What are the exact figures? I know there is a maximum set but is that across the board for everyone or do some get less then what the maximum is?

deafbajagal <----------- deaf and a taxpayer. I pay so much in taxes that it makes my nose bleed.

2eef0729-7bce-4736-9931-c0cfc46074d0

Now, can we get back on topic and discuss the marriage penalty? What are the exact figures? I know there is a maximum set but is that across the board for everyone or do some get less then what the maximum is?

Again, it varies case by case. For details, you can visit the SSA website. However, you will not be provided with exact dollar amounts until you actaully file a claim, and provide them with your finanacial information, as well as your marraige status and your souse's financial information.

"If only I were a mexican migrant or asian immigrant."

Err well that wouldn’t help, you would still be looking for a hand out and still not have a job and still have no money.You would then be complaining how badly we mexicans and asians are treated in this country.

Since you say you cant work would you then want the government to pay for your interest free loan? You talk like you could work and if you had the benifits that working people had you would be better off.Why exactly cant you work.

Social security is not a hand out its disability. Hand outs are welfare. Interest free loans are not hand outs either as they still have to be paid off. However, its kind of said that only an asian immigrant or mexican migrant is afforded the opportunity of getting one.

Based on that website, there is a $337.00 Penalty for getting married. Kind of sad that our government considers marriage a penalty. I see why they are doing this though. if that penalty were were not in place couples would be just above what the poverty line is at. They are wanting to keep us poor as our economy is setup to keep the poor poorer and the rich richer. Classic neo-conservatism type economics.

Again, it varies case by case. For details, you can visit the SSA website. However, you will not be provided with exact dollar amounts until you actaully file a claim, and provide them with your finanacial information, as well as your marraige status and your souse's financial information.

NOT true. It is not based on a case by case basis. The site Frisky Feline gave proves that. That site breaks down the numbers and the exact figures, which are for all. Please see: http://http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=85&p_created=955552261&p_sid=rY3BWOnj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD00NCw0NCZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9NDgmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0xLjQ4JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Many deaf people who received SSI or SSDI and worked for like less than 900 bucks a month were often caught by the IRS because the IRS and SSA decided to crossmatched SSN years ago. Some deaf people owed the federal government 15,000 dollars or less. Get a job. If you're on SSI or SSDI and "retired at 65 or 67, you will be disadvantaged compared to retired deaf people who worked their asses off providing you a nice house from our tax dollars.

its probably because they earned over the SGA amounts for the month.

Back