ssi and marriage?

jasin

Reaction score
Is there a penalty for being married when you are getting ssi or do they give you more money? I've heard both, there is and isn't. Anyone know?

no penalty as long as you report it. I know several people who got SSI and married. They just won't get as much. They usually get less since two people (if the other person is working) are sharing the same household.

I don't know how it goes if the other person is on SSI. They might get more.

I noticed quite a bit of people get SSI/SSDI then lose it when they get married. But then again, can get them after getting married but depends on the spouse's earning. If you receive SSDI under your parent's name since your parent retired, and get married, you are more likely to lose it when you get married. Ask your SS lawyer, not SS office since they can mess up. Never really trust the government as they say since they need more information like how much your spouse to be makes, etc..

You will only lose it if your spouse make too much money and can support you more than SSI can. This is sometime not good because sometimes a spouse can be too greedy and you need the money to pay for supplies like hearing aid batteries and things like that.

Another reason why I WON'T get married. I have known some people regretting getting married. One of them decided to get divorced so that they can get full SSI. Gov't shouldn't force anyone to depend on others, that is so wrong!!!!

I am pretty sure that most lawyers are not interested helping SS users because of "low" pay. I have never heard of a SS lawyer unless going to a court. I believe you that Government or SS agents can screw you up.

If a wife makes more money than her husband with SS for a divorce, his wife is forced to pay him monthly. I don't know whether her husband requires to give up his SS. I don't have that information. That's something that we need to know about.

if she is required to pay, I think his SSI amount would be the same as if he was still married to her.

SSI + alimony?

If she was making too much, he should be getting less SSI in the first place while he was married

But if alimony is not enough, I guess he would get alittle more. It is whatever he need to survive.

I noticed quite a bit of people get SSI/SSDI then lose it when they get married. But then again, can get them after getting married but depends on the spouse's earning. If you receive SSDI under your parent's name since your parent retired, and get married, you are more likely to lose it when you get married. Ask your SS lawyer, not SS office since they can mess up. Never really trust the government as they say since they need more information like how much your spouse to be makes, etc..

SSI and SSDI are separate. SSDI and SSA make no change if they got married as long as they put the paper down as individal not need to let them know they are married. When they ask u question, be careful with those questions cuz they are tricky questions.

Clarification, no part of SSI is taxable, and maybe that is part reason why when married, they will be cut some off, while SSDI is subject to taxes, thus that is why nothing will affect if married. Only that portion of SSDI will be taxable *IF* married couples adjust gross income exceeded $34K a year INCLUDING the SSDI money. If less than 34K a year then SSDI wouldnt needed to be included when filing taxes. I am not sure which one $34 or $36 for married couple.

No offense but get a job and support a family instead of depending on the government for its handouts which comes from hardworking Americans just like me.

Last edited:
Clarification, no part of SSI is taxable, and maybe that is part reason why when married, they will be cut some off, while SSDI is subject to taxes, thus that is why nothing will affect if married. Only that portion of SSDI will be taxable *IF* married couples adjust gross income exceeded $34K a year INCLUDING the SSDI money. If less than 34K a year then SSDI wouldnt needed to be included when filing taxes. I am not sure which one $34 or $36 for married couple.

But some ppl will filed tax seperatly for some reason. I wasnt on SSDI when I married to my exh but we did file our tax seperate for a reason.

As long as you report it, there shouldn't be any penalties.

Sometimes, the income might change based on your and your spouse's income... and where you are.

Income varies on your needs, your income, your disability, your place of living, etc.

If both of you get married and move to a new place, the income might increase or decrease. It's important to report it and work it out before penalties are made. If your income will decrease because of the marriage, it's better than the fines you will be charged if you didn't report it and get caught. :)

They STILL required to include SSDI to determine wheather it is taxable or not either way file jointly or seperately. Filing seperate will have same effect if filing jointly. IRS do not take this part lightly. FYI

But some ppl will filed tax seperatly for some reason. I wasnt on SSDI when I married to my exh but we did file our tax seperate for a reason.

Another reason why I WON'T get married. I have known some people regretting getting married. One of them decided to get divorced so that they can get full SSI. Gov't shouldn't force anyone to depend on others, that is so wrong!!!!

Oh dear, I think I am screwed! Being with the one you love is a penalty? Dear God, what has this country come to? No wonder divorce rates are so high in America!

I think I will have to move out of the country if they do this to me! I hope I can get by with asl in the Philippines.

Lord Oh Lord!!

SSI and SSDI are separate. SSDI and SSA make no change if they got married as long as they put the paper down as individal not need to let them know they are married. When they ask u question, be careful with those questions cuz they are tricky questions.

Thats sneaky :giggle:

Back